Vũng Tàu Area Lighthouses, Vietnam

Vũng Tàu is a cape about 65 km (40 mi) southeast of Hồ Chí Minh City (formerly Saigon), Vietnam. The historic Vũng Tàu light station, established by the French in 1865, has guided generations of arriving mariners. The present Vũng Tàu Light is the third tower at the station, built in 1913. Sometime after the Vietnam War it was encased by concrete buttresses. In 1898, the French built a second, smaller lighthouse at Cao Trang, at the western point of the Vũng Tàu peninsula, and more recently the Vietnamese government added a third light at Ghành Rái on the northwest side of the peninsula. In 2007, the Vietnamese government renovated the Vũng Tàu lighthouse and replaced the Cao Trang lighthouse with a new tower. Howard Garner visited Vũng Tàu in March 2008 and contributed these photos of the three lights.


Vũng Tàu Light

Cao Trang Light

Ghành Rái (Ganh Rai) Light

All photos on this page copyright 2008 Howard Garner; used by permission.

Return to the Southern Vietnam directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted March 21, 2008. Checked and revised December 6, 2016. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.