Thanks to Allan Bowes for this photo of the Duart Point Light on the Isle of Mull in western Scotland. The navigation beacon is the small red lantern atop the right side of the structure.
This unusual lighthouse was designed by the architect William Lieper and built in 1900 as a memorial to the Scottish romantic novelist William Black (1841-1898). It stands on the easternmost point of Mull, a crucial location; from here, the Firth of Lorn stretches southwestward toward the ocean, Loch Linnhe extends northeastward into the Highlands, and the Sound of Mull extends northwestward dividing the island from the mainland. It is indeed as romantic a spot as one could choose for the memorial. The site is about two miles east of the town of Lochdon.
Photo copyright 2005 Allan Bowes; all rights reserved. Used by permission.
Return to the Argyll and Bute directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted July 18, 2005. Checked and revised December 1, 2016. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.