Thanks to Allan Bowes for this closeup photo of the current Garvellachs Light in the lower Firth of Lorne, Scotland. The Garvellachs, or Isles of the Sea, are a chain of rocky islands stretching northeast to southwest. The lighthouse is at the southwestern end of the island chain on an island called Eileach an Naoimh, the Isle of the Saints, famous as the site of a sixth century monastery founded by St. Brendan. A small masonry lighthouse was built here in 1904. In recent years, the Northern Lighthouse Board has been replacing its small, acetylene-powered lighthouse with modern solar-powered light towers like this one. The tower is a metal framework structure with lightweight panels added to the sides to provide a daymark.
photo copyright 2005 Allan Bowes; used by permission
Return to the Argyll and Bute directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted July 15, 2005. Checked and revised December 1, 2016. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.