The Red River of the North (as it is called in the U.S.) flows northward past the city of Winnipeg to empty into Lake Winnipeg. More than 200 miles long, the lake extends far to the north into the boreal forests of central Manitoba. At the northern end of the lake, the water of the lake flows out into the Nelson River, which drains into Hudson's Bay. Warren Landing is the wilderness village on the west bank of the Nelson just below the great lake.
Since 1908 two pairs of range lights have guided boats out of the lake into Warren Landing. These are among Canada's most remote and least-often-seen lighthouses.
Originally, all four lights were carried by square pyramidal frame lighthouses. The two front range lighthouses survive and remain active today. At some time (the exact date is not known), the rear range lighthouses were replaced with steel skeletal towers.
All four lights display fixed (continuous) white lights. As is customary on Canadian range lights, the upper range lights are also marked with prominent red vertical stripes for daytime navigation.
Thanks to Ron Walker, of the Canadian Coast Guard at Parry Sound, Ontario, for these rare images of the Warren Landing lights.
Warren Landing Upper Range Lights
Warren Landing Lower Range Front Light
All photos from the files of the Canadian Coast Guard, courtesy of Ron Walker; not for commerical use.
Return to the Manitoba directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted December 20, 2003. Checked and revised September 15, 2017. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.