Thanks to Ron Walker, of the Canadian Coast Guard base at Parry Sound, Ontario, for this photo of the Stokes Bay Range Front Light at its original station.
Photo courtesy of Canadian Coast Guard
Stokes Bay is on the Lake Huron side (the west side) of the Bruce Peninsula, about halfway between Wiarton and Tobermory, Ontario. The old lighthouse, a 33-foot wooden "pepperpot" tower, was built in 1904. It has been replaced in recent years by the modern range tower we see here. Until rather recently, it was Coast Guard policy to promptly demolish lighthouses replaced by modern towers. Fortunately, this policy is no longer in effect. In 2009 the lighthouse was relocated by helicopter to the Bruce County Museum and Cultural Centre in Southampton, where it was restored.
Return to the West Central Ontario directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted December 11, 2003. Checked and revised December 11, 2012. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.