Thanks to David Allester for these photos of the Faro Cayo Caimán Grande de Santa Maria in Sancti Spiritus province, Cuba. David and his wife Eileen Quinn took this photo while they were cruising the north coast of Cuba in May 2004.
Built in 1955, the cast iron tower is 32 m (105 ft) tall. It replaced a cast iron skeletal tower built in 1909, and probably has the same lantern. As of 2004, the original first-order Fresnel lens remained in use.
The island is Cuban Navy outpost, closed to visitors. There is a barracks and observation tower at the other end of the cay from the lighthouse.
Photos copyright 2004 David Allester; used by permission
Return to the Cuba directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted February 25, 2009. Checked and revised September 6, 2012. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.