Thanks to Jon Clay for supplying this photo of the new Mission Point Light, in Grand Traverse Bay north of Traverse City, Michigan. The original Mission Point Light was replaced in 1933 by an onshore skeletal tower. At some time the onshore light was replaced with this offshore "D9" tower, which displays a white flash every 6 seconds. The lighthouse appears to be mounted on a square equipment room atop a circular crib. The reported tower height is 25 feet (it looks taller here, if we include the equipment room) and the focal plane of the light is 41 feet. Jon took this photo through a spotting scope from the grounds of the original lighthouse, at the end of MI 37 at Old Mission Point.
Photo copyright 2003 Jon Clay. Used by permission.
Return to the Michigan Western Lower Peninsula directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
January 10, 2003. Checked and revised February 26, 2013. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.