Thanks to Alex Goldenberg 4Z5KJ for these March 2007 photos of the ruined lighthouse at Fonias, near Cape Sounion, Greece. Built in 1889, the lighthouse was formerly a 1-story keeper's house with a light tower on the roof. In the photo on the right, we can see the present light, a small skeletal tower on a round base. The light marks the narrowest point of the Makronisi channel, between the mainland and the island of Makronisi.
Photos copyright Alex Goldenberg; used by permission
Return to the Southern Greece directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
Posted March 14, 2007. Checked and revised September 28, 2017. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.