Lighthouses of Poland: Świnoujście and the Odra

Since the end of World War II in 1945, the coast of Poland has stretched from Świnoujście in the west to the Gulf of Gdansk in the east. Poland has at least 26 lighthouses on its Baltic coast and also many lighthouses on the inland waterway that extends from Świnoujście to Szczecin. This page lists the lighthouses of the Świnoujście area and the waterway leading to Szczecin; the remaining Baltic lighthouses are listed on the Poland's Baltic Coast page.

Szczecin (known as Stettin under German rule) is more than 50 km (30 mi) from the sea, located on the Odra (Oder) River. The Odra empties into Szczecin Bay (Zalew Szczeciński in Polish or Stettiner Haff in German), a large lagoon that in turn empties into the Baltic through three channels. The western end of the bay and the westernmost of the three channels lie in Germany. Large ships enter the waterway through the central channel, the Świna, at Świnoujście (Swinemünde).

Today, Szczecin is Poland's largest port, but until World War II it was Germany's third largest port. The surrounding region, West Pomerania, became part of Prussia in 1720 and thus part of the German Empire when it was formed in 1871. As a result, nearly all the lighthouses in the region were built under German administration.

Active Polish lighthouses are operated by the regional Maritime Office (Urząd Morski). There are three of these offices, in Szczecin, Słupsk, and Gdynia. All of the lights on this page are managed by the Szczecin Maritime Office.

In Polish, a lighthouse is a "sea lantern," latarnia morska, plural latarnie morskie.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Light List numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Polnische Leuchttürme
Photos posted in 2005 by Klaus Huelse, including many photos of the inland lighthouses. Special thanks to Klaus for the use of some of these photos here.
Baken Swinemünde
Photos and historical accounts by Gerd Liedtke.
Online List of Lights - Poland
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme an der polnischen Küste
Photos by Bernd Claußen.
Leuchttürme von Anke und Jens - Polen
This site has photos and information on lights of the Świnoujście area.
Min Blinkfüer
Photos and accounts in German of German and Polish lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Poland
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Poland
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Polish Lighthouses
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme der ehemaligen deutschen Ostgebiete
Postcard views of historical German lighthouses in Poland and other former German territories, posted by Klaus Huelse.

Swinoujscie Light
Świnoujście Light, Świnoujście, May 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Rzuwig

Świnoujście Area Lighthouses
**** Świnoujście {Swinemünde} (2)
1857 (station established 1828). Active; focal plane 68 m (223 ft); white light 4 s on, 1 s off; red light is shown southwestward over the Świna for outbound ships. 65 m (213 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery rising from an octagonal base with a second gallery. Tower is unpainted yellow brick; lantern painted black. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. Adjacent 2-story brick keeper's house. A photo is above, Trabas has a good photo, Huelse has a photo, Anke and Jens have photos, a 2008 closeup is available, Wikimedia has numerous photos, and Google has a satellite view. This magnificent lighthouse is the tallest brick lighthouse ever built; it is nearly 4 m (13 ft) taller than the Cape Hatteras Light in the U.S. The view from the gallery is about 45 km (28 mi) in clear weather. The tower was restored in 1902-03 to repair spalled brickwork; this project converted the tower's cross-section from the original octagonal to circular. Forand has a postcard view showing the lighthouse's original appearance and another view showing the result of the repairs. In 1945, retreating German troops ordered the destruction of the lighthouse, but the German keeper could not bring himself to light the fuses and the tower survived. Damage from World War II was repaired belatedly in 1959. In 1998-2000, as a Millennium project, the lighthouse was completely restored and opened to the public, along with a lighthouse museum in the keeper's house. Located on the east bank of the river Świna just inside the entrance. Site open, museum and tower open Monday through Friday. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-019; Admiralty C2668; NGA 6116.
Świnoujście East Mole {Swinemünde Ostmole} (5)
2000 (station established 1805). Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); red light occulting once every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Trabas has a good photo by Helmut Seger, the Anke/Jens lighthouse site also has a photo, a good 2008 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of the 1877 light, and Forand has a 1940 view of that light with a more modern lantern installed in 1925. According to Liedtke, there were lights on the east mole as early as 1692, although the mole has been extended considerably since then. Located at the end of the east mole, which curves northwestward in front of the Świnoujście lighthouse. Site status uncertain (the mole appears to be walkable, but there is a lack of closeup photos); there are distant views from the beach. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-026; Admiralty C2672; NGA 6120.
* Młyny (Windmill) Range Front {Mühlenbake}
1902 (tower built 1873). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off, synchronized with the rear light. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical brick tower, painted white. The front (seaward) side of the tower also sports four large white vanes as a "windmill" daymark, so that the tower looks from a distance as if it were a windmill. (The vanes do not turn in the wind.) Huelse's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo by Helmut Seger, Karolina Bartosiak has a 2011 photo, Anke and Jens have photos, Forand has a 1929 postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the front light of the entrance range for the Świna. The tower was built in 1873 as a daybeacon; it had only three vanes then, one pointed straight up. The present configuration dates from 1902, when the light was added. Located at the end of the short west mole at the mouth of the river; accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-028; Admiralty C2670; NGA 6124.
Mlyny Light
Młyny Light, Świnoujście
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission
* Galeriowa (Młyny Range Rear) {Galeriebake} (4)
1931 (light station established 1902, daybeacon 1873). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off, synchronized with the front light. 24 m (79 ft) concrete mast with a round lantern and gallery mounted to the front of the mast at the top. Access to the lantern is by an external stairway that spirals 7 times around the mast. Entire structure is white. Huelse's photo of this unusual beacon is at right, Trabas has a good photo by Helmut Seger, Tomasz Paprzycki has a photo, Anke and Jens have photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of the original (1873) light. The modern light tower is located on the west bank of the Świna 520 m (1/3 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site open (there is a parking lot near the lighthouse), tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-027; Admiralty C2670.1; NGA 6128.
Kosa (Marine Pier) North End {Eichstaden Nord} (2)
1913 (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green light occulting once every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery black. Huelse has a photo, Claußen has a photo, the Anke/Jens lighthouse site also has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, another closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a long pier along the west side of the Świna channel about 2 km (1.2 mi) south southwest of the Galeriowa lighthouse. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-036; Admiralty C2678; NGA 6136.
Kosa (Marine Pier) South End {Eichstaden Süd} (2)
1913 (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green light occulting once every 4 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted green. Trabas has a closeup photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This tower is similar to the North End light, but shorter. Located at the end of a long pier along the west side of the Świna channel about 2 km (1.2 mi) west southwest of the North End light. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-037; Admiralty C2678.75; NGA 6140.
[Mielin North End {Großer Mellin Nord} (2)] (?)
Date unknown (2008?) (station established prior to 1902). Active (?); focal plane 11 m (36 ft) (?); three red flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 12 s. Approx. 4 m (13 ft) round red fiberglass tower. A 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. As of 2012, NGA still lists the original light, a square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. The 11 m focal plane probably refers also to that light. Trabas now has a photo showing a buoy placed off the point, so the light may have been moved offshore. Located at the north end of the island of Mielen, which divides the Świna for about 3.5 km (2 mi). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-064; Admiralty C2680; NGA 6156.

Galeriowa Light, Świnoujście
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission
Mielin South End {Grüner Holm} (2)
1916(?) (station established prior to 1902). Active; focal plane 6 m (21 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 7 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Huelse has a photo, Claußen also has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, Zbigniew Wilczek has a 2008 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The present light may be the 1916 tower with some later modifications. Located at the south end of the island of Mielen, which divides the Świna for about 3.5 km (2 mi). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-065; Admiralty C2685; NGA 6176.

Karsibór Area Lighthouses
Kanał Piastowski North End (Karsibór North End) {Kleiner Mellin} (3)
1958(?) (station established prior to 1901). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Huelse has a photo, Claußen also has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, Anke/Jens have a page with photos, a 2008 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the north end of the Kanał Piastowski, a dredged channel about 8 km (5 mi) long connecting the Świna to the Zalew Szczeciński (Stettiner Haff). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-068; Admiralty C2689; NGA 6188.
* Karsibór Range Rear {Caseburg Oberfeuer} (2)
1931 (station established prior to 1893). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); orange light, occulting once every 4 s, synchronized with the front light. 38 m (125 ft) triangular pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Lighthouse painted red with one white horizontal band. Huelse's photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. The Karsibór range lights are located west of the Kanał Piastowski; they guide vessels northbound through the waterway. Located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of the north end of the Kanał Piastowski. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-059; Admiralty C2690.1; NGA 6196.
* Karsibór Range Front {Caseburg Unterfeuer} (2)
1931 (station established prior to 1893). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); orange light, occulting once every 4 s, synchronized with the rear light. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is red. Huelse has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was rebuilt after storm damage in 1913. Located on the west bank of the Kanał Piastowski, 1.3 km (3/4 mi) southeast of the rear light. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-058; Admiralty C2690; NGA 6192.

Karsibór Range Rear Light, Karsibór Island
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Zalew Szczeciński (Stettiner Haff) Lighthouses

Note: The Szczecin Lagoon, known as Zalew Szczeciński in Polish or Stettiner Haff in German, is more than 40 km (25 mi) in length from east to west; the western end is in Germany. A dredged ship channel about 30 km (19 mi) long crosses the Polish basin of the lagoon diagonally from the Kanał Piastowski to the mouth of the Odra.
* Kanał Piastowski Entrance East (Brama Torowa 1E) {Kaiserfahrt Ost}
1931 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only along the line of the Kanał. 26 m (85 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a 1-story square masonry base. Everything but the base painted red. Zbigniew Wilczek has a photo, Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a fine closeup, a 2009 closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. This is the first of the Brama Towers, a chain of lighthouses guiding ships across the Zalew Szczeciński (Stettiner Haff) to Szczecin. (In Polish, torowa is a track, or in this case a channel, and brama is a gate.) Towers 1E and 1W have been restored and repainted recently. Located adjacent to the base of the east mole at the entrance to the Kanał Piastowski from the Zalew Szczeciński. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-066; Admiralty C2693; NGA 6200.
Kanał Piastowski Entrance West (Brama Torowa 1W) {Kaiserfahrt West}
1931 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only along the line of the Kanał; also a red general navigation light, occulting twice every 8 s, at a focal plane of 23 m (75 ft). 26 m (85 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a 1-story square masonry base. Tower painted green, lantern and watch room red. Fog horn (Morse code "K," long-short-long, every 60 s). Trabas has a closeup photo, Huelse has a photo, and a 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Forand has a postcard view of the earlier light tower. Located adjacent to the base of the west mole at the entrance to the Kanał Piastowski from the Zalew Szczeciński. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-067; Admiralty C2694; NGA 6204.
Zalew Szczeciński Northeast (Brama Torowa 2E) {Hafftorfeuer Nord Ost)
1931. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 8 s, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound. 21 m (69 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Lighthouse painted red, except the central cylinder is white. Huelse's photo appears at right, Trabas has an excellent closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located near the center of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 6.5 km (4 mi) northeast of the south shore near Podgrodzie. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-075; Admiralty C2700; NGA 6216.
Zalew Szczeciński Northwest (Brama Torowa 2W ) {Hafftorfeuer Nord West}
1931. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 8 s, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound; also a directional light, white, red or green flash every 4 s at a focal plane of 23 m (75 ft), shown over a sector to the west northwest. 21 m (69 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Lighthouse painted green, except the central cylinder is white. Huelse has a good photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Another photo is available; it also shows tower 2E in the background. Located near the center of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 6.5 km (4 mi) northeast of the south shore near Podgrodzie. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-076; Admiralty C2701; NGA 6220.
Zalew Szczeciński Southeast (Brama Torowa 3E ) {Hafftorfeuer Süd Ost}
1930. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 8 s, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound; also a directional light, white, red or green flash every 4 s at a focal plane of 22 m (72 ft), shown over a sector to the north. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and tripod bracing mounted on a circular concrete base. Lighthouse painted red, except the central cylinder is white. Andrzej Armiński has a 2010 photo, Wilczek Zbigniew has a 2011 photo showing towers 3W and 3E, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a good photo showing the towers original appearance, and Trabas also has a photo. This appears to be a renovation of the original tower 3E with its skeletal bracing removed, and replaced by the tripod braces. Located in the southeastern part of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 5 km (3 mi) north of the south shore west of Trzebież. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-077; Admiralty C2702; NGA 6224.

Brama Torowa 2E
Brama Tarowa 2E, Zalew Szczeciński
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Zalew Szczeciński Southwest (Brama Torowa 3W) {Hafftorfeuer Süd West}
1930. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 8 s, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and tripod bracing mounted on a circular concrete base. Lighthouse painted green, except the central cylinder is white. Adam Jacyno's 2009 photo is at right, Wilczek Zbigniew has a 2011 photo showing towers 3W and 3E, Huelse has a good photo showing the towers original appearance, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This appears to be a renovation of the original tower 3W with its skeletal bracing removed, and replaced by the tripod braces. Located in the southeastern part of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 5 km (3 mi) north of the south shore west of Trzebież. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-029; Admiralty C2703; NGA 6228.

Trzebież and Chełminek Area Lighthouses
Chełminek North {Leitholm Nord} (2)
1912 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); red light occulting twice every 8 s, synchronized with the south end light. 13 m (42 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Huelse has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, a 2010 photo is available, additional photos of this and other lights of the Chełminek area are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the northwestern end of a mole along the edge of Chełminek Island that parallels and protects the channel leading into the southeastern extension of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) north of Trzebież. Accessible only by boat; there should be good view from Trzebież. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-050; Admiralty C2719; NGA 6276.
Brama Torowa 3W
Brama Torowa 3W, Zalew Szczeciński, October 2009
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Adam Jacyno (no longer online)
Chełminek South {Leitholm Süd}
1912 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red light occulting twice every 8 s, synchronized with the north end light. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has an excellent closeup, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southeastern end of a mole along the edge of Chełminek Island that parallels and protects the channel leading into the southeastern extension of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) northeast of Trzebież. Accessible only by boat; there should be good view from Trzebież. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-051; Admiralty C2720; NGA 6280.
Brama Torowa 4E {Papenwassertorfeuer Ost}
1926. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Entire lighthouse painted red. Mateusz War's photo of towers 4E and 4W is at right, Huelse has a good photo and a historic postcard view, another photo is available, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the channel a short distance south of the Chełminek South light. Accessible only by boat; there should be good view from Trzebież. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-046; Admiralty C2722; NGA 6284.
Brama Torowa 4W {Papenwassertorfeuer West}
1926. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only along the northwest-southeast channel crossing the sound. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Entire lighthouse painted green. Mateusz War's photo of towers 4E and 4W is at right, a 2008 photo is available, Huelse has a good photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the channel a short distance south of the Chełminek South light. Accessible only by boat; there should be good view from Trzebież. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-047; Admiralty C2721; NGA 6288.

Brama Torowa 4W (left) and 4E, April 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Mateusz War
Stepnica Range Rear {Stepenitz Oberfeuer} (2)
1928 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light occulting every 8 s. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white; lantern roof is black. This lighthouse is identical to the Brama Towers. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a second photo, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides northbound ships headed for the main part of the sound. According to Liedtke, this range replaced an earlier, land-based range that was in place at least by 1881. Located in the southeastern extension of the Zalew Szczeciński, about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Stepnica. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-072; Admiralty C2730.1; NGA 6336.
Stepnica Range Front {Stepenitz Unterfeuer} (2)
1928 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 8 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a circular concrete base. Lower half of lighthouse painted white, upper half orange; lantern roof is black. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has another photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the southeastern extension of the Zalew Szczeciński, 740 m (1/2 mi) south southeast of the rear light and about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Stepnica. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-071; Admiralty C2730; NGA 6332.
Żuławy {Königswerder}
1931. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a circular concrete base. Upper half of lighthouse painted red, lower half white; lantern roof is black. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This directional light guides vessels in both directions. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) southeast of the Stepnica range lights. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-032; Admiralty C2732; NGA 6372.

Odra River Entrance Lighthouses
Mańków (Mankow) Range Front {Gnageland Unterfeuer}
1928. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every 8 s, visible only on or near the range line. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Lower half of lighthouse painted white, upper half red; lantern roof is black. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east bank of the Odra near the southeastern tip of the Zalew Szczeciński, where it guides southbound ships to the mouth of the Odra (Oder) River. Site status unknown. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-030; Admiralty C2728; NGA 6292.
Mańków (Mankow) Range Rear {Gnageland Oberfeuer}
1928. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 8 s, visible only on or near the range line. 34 m (112 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper half of lighthouse painted red, lower half white; lantern roof is black. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located in a forest on the east bank of the Odra, 1.4 km (0.9 mi) southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-031; Admiralty C2728.1; NGA 6296.
Krępa Range Rear {Krampe Oberfeuer}
1928 (daybeacon installed 1881). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder, mounted on a circular concrete base. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white; lantern roof is black. This lighthouse is identical to the Brama Towers. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides northbound ships exiting the mouth of the Odra (Oder) River. Located about 1000 m (5/8 mi) north of the river's mouth. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-061; Admiralty C2736.1; NGA 6368.
Krępa Range Front {Krampe Unterfeuer}
1928 (daybeacon installed 1881). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a circular concrete base. Lower third of lighthouse painted white, upper 2/3 red; lantern roof is black. Huelse's photo appears at right, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Stepnica Range Front lighthouse. Located just off the mouth of the Odra, 650 m (0.4 mi) south of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-060; Admiralty C2736; NGA 6364.

Krępa Range Front Light
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Odra River (Szczecin Area) Lighthouses
Raduń Range Front {Schwabach Unterfeuer} (2)
1928 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting twice every 8 s. 15 m (49 ft) round metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. This is the southbound entrance range for the Odra. Located on the east bank of the river about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Police. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-024; Admiralty C2734; NGA 6376.
Raduń Range Rear {Schwabach Oberfeuer} (2)
1928 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light occulting twice every 8 s. 28 m (92 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white. This lighthouse is identical to the Brama Towers. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east bank of the river 800 m (1/2 mi) south southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-025; Admiralty C2734.1; NGA 6380.
Police Range Rear {Pölitz Oberfeuer} (2)
Date unknown (station established at least by 1902). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); red light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off, synchronized with the front light. Approx. 54 m (175 ft) round hourglass-shaped concrete tower with two galleries but no lantern. Upper third of the lighthouse painted orange, middle third white, lower third black. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a good satellite view. These range lights are similar to the tall modern range lights common on the Elbe and Weser Rivers in western Germany. The range guides northbound ships departing Szczecin. Located about 250 m (0.15 mi) west of the river in an industrial area on the northeastern edge of Police. Site and tower closed. ARLHS POL-070; Admiralty C2738.51; NGA 6389.1.
Police Range Front {Pölitz Unterfeuer} (2)
Date unknown (station established at least by 1902). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); red light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off, synchronized with the rear light. Approx. 34 m (112 ft) round concrete tower with a flared (funnel-shaped) top and a gallery. There is a light atop the structure, but the range light is probably shown through a square window at the top of the tower. Upper half of the lighthouse painted orange, lower half white with a black band at the bottom. Huelse has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a good satellite view. Located on a wharf on the west bank of the river in Police, adjacent to an industrial plant. Site and tower closed. ARLHS POL-069; Admiralty C2738.5; NGA 6389.
Domańce {Schanzen, Damansch} (Cross Light)
1929. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white or red light depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s; white light is shown over the upstream and downstream channels. 14 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. Trabas has a photo, Andrzej Armiński has a 2010 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse resembles the Żuławy and Ińskie lights. The light helps guide ships around a change in the direction of the channel at Police. Located on the west bank of the river at Police. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-023; Admiralty C2741; NGA 6384.
* Domańce (Politzer Wiesen) Range Front {Schanzen (Damansch) Unterfeuer} (2)
1927 (station established at least by 1902). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); yellow light occulting every 4 s, synchronized with the rear light. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted red, lower half white; lantern roof is black. A 2007 photo and a good closeup are available, Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a fine closeup, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides southbound ships toward Szczecin. Located on the west bank of the river at Czaoliniec, just east of Police. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS POL-052; Admiralty C2743; NGA 6392.
* Domańce (Politzer Wiesen) Range Rear {Schanzen (Damansch) Oberfeuer} (2)
1927 (station established at least by 1902). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light occulting every 4 s, synchronized with the front light. 25 m (85 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white. This lighthouse is identical to the Brama Towers. A 2008 photo is available, Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a more distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located 660 m (0.4 mi) south of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS POL-053; Admiralty C2743.1; NGA 6396.
Łąki Range Rear {Flankengraben Oberfeuer}
1931. Active; focal plane 25 m (86 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 23 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper portion of lighthouse painted orange, lower portion white. This is a northbound range guiding ships toward Police. Huelse's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. In Polish, łąki is the word for "meadows." Located about 500 m (0.3 mi) north of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-063; Admiralty C2756.1.
Laki Range Rear Light
Łąki Range Rear Light
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission
* Łąki Range Front {Flankengraben Unterfeuer}
1931. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east bank of the Odra about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of the Domańce Front Light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS POL-062; Admiralty C2756.
Ińskie {Brachhorst}
1930. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white or red light depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s; white light is shown over the upstream and downstream channels. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted red, lower half white. Adam Jacyno's photo is at right, Huelse has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The light helps guide ships around a change in the direction of the channel near Święta. Located on the east bank of the river about 1.5 km (0.9 mi) south of Święta. Site and tower closed. ARLHS POL-057; Admiralty C2754; NGA 6420.
Ina Range Southbound Front {Ihna Unterfeuer}
1911. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white light occulting every 8 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; the front of the tower is covered by metal panels as a daymark. Top of tower painted red, lower portion white. A 2010 photo is available, Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. The Ina Ranges guide ships around a curve in the river north of Czarna Lake. Located on the east bank of the river about 2.2 km (1.3 mi) south of Święta. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-056; Admiralty C2746.9; NGA 6428.
Ina Range Common Rear {Ihna Oberfeuer}
1911. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light, 5 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; the two sides of the tower facing the range lines are covered by metal panels as a daymark. Upper half of tower painted red, lower half white. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located east of the river about 625 m (0.4 mi) southeast of the southbound front light and 850 m (0.5 mi) north northeast of the northbound front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-054; Admiralty C2747; NGA 6432.

Ińskie Light, August 2008
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Adam Jacyno (no longer online)
Ina Range Northbound Front {Camelsberg}
1911. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 8 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; two sides of the tower are covered by metal panels as a daymark. Top of tower painted red, lower portion white. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east bank of the river about 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Święta; there is a road leading to this area. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-055; Admiralty C2747.1; NGA 6436.
Babina {Babbinstrom}
1931. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white or red light depending on direction, occulting every 4 s. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted red, lower half white; lantern roof is black. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. This directional light is located on the west side of the island of Mewia (Groß-Camelwerder), at the northwestern corner of Czarna Łąka, a large lake through which the river flows north of Szczecin. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-045; Admiralty C2750; NGA 6444.
Bykowo Range Front {Ochsengrab Unterfeuer}
1932. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) round metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white; lantern roof is black. Trabas has a closeup photo, Huelse has a photo showing both range lights, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels southbound to the entrance of a canal (originally the Königsfahrt) west of Czarna Łąka, leading to Szczecin. The range replaced a single directional light, established in 1912 and located between the present front and rear lights. Located on the east side of the canal; accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-048; Admiralty C2762; NGA 6448.
Bykowo Range Rear {Ochsengrab Oberfeuer}
1932. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white; lantern roof is black. This lighthouse is identical to the Brama Towers. Trabas has a closeup photo, Huelse has a photo showing both range lights, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the canal about 600 m (0.4 mi) south of the front light; accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-049; Admiralty C2762.1; NGA 6452.
Święta Range Front (2)
1931 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) round metal tower with lantern and double gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white; lantern roof is black. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the southbound range guiding ships down the canal (originally the Königsfahrt) west of Czarna Łąka, leading to Szczecin. The range replaced daybeacons installed in 1893 and replaced in 1901. Located on the west side of the canal; probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-073; Admiralty C2764; NGA 6456.
Święta Range Rear (2)
1931 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, watch room, double gallery, and enclosed central cylinder. Upper half of lighthouse painted orange, lower half white. A 2008 closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the canal; probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS POL-074; Admiralty C2764.1; NGA 6460.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

  •  

Adjoining pages: East: Poland Baltic Coast | West: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 18, 2005. Checked and revised January 14, 2014. Lighthouses: 45. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.