Lighthouses of Poland: Baltic Coast

Since the end of World War II in 1945, the coast of Poland has stretched from Świnoujście in the west to the Gulf of Gdańsk in the east. Poland has at least 26 lighthouses on its Baltic coast and also many lighthouses on the inland waterway that extends from Świnoujście to Szczecin. This page includes the lighthouses of the Baltic coast east of Świnoujście. Lights of the Świnoujście area and the Szczecin waterway are listed on the Poland: Świnoujście and the Odra page.

All of the Polish coastline was under German control from the 18th century through the end of World War I in 1918. Poland became independent of Germany and Russia as a result of World War I, but between the two world wars its coastline was only a narrow "corridor" at Gdynia. As a result, all of the pre-1945 lighthouses except the three Gdynia lights are of German construction. The historical German names for these lighthouses are shown in curly braces {}. At least four lighthouses were destroyed during World War II, and many of the others suffered severe damage.

Since Poland escaped the Soviet orbit in 1991, the country has made great progress in lighthouse preservation. The historic lighthouses have been restored where needed, and they seem to be in good shape. Many of them are open to the public, although the schedules may be irregular in some cases.

Active Polish lighthouses are operated by the regional Maritime Office (Urząd Morski). There are three of these offices, in Szczecin, Słupsk, and Gdynia.

In Polish, a lighthouse is a "sea lantern," latarnia morska, plural latarnie morskie.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Light List numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Lovers of Lighthouses Association
Website of the Polish lighthouse society Stowarzyszenie Miłośników Latarń Morskich. This excellent site has extended historical accounts and photos of the major light stations. Portions of the site are available in English.
Polskie latarnie morskie
Historical information and photos from the Polish-language edition of Wikipedia.
Min Blinkfüer
Photos and accounts in German of German and Polish lighthouses.
Polnische Leuchttürme
Photos posted in 2005 by Klaus Huelse.
Leuchttürme an der Polnischen Ostseeküste
Photos and notes in German from the website Leuchtturm-anke.de.
Baken und andere Seezeichen
Photos and historical accounts in German by Gerd Liedtke.
Online List of Lights - Poland
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme von Anke und Jens - Polen
This site has photos and information on the larger coastal lights.
Lighthouses in Poland
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Poland
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Polsko
Photos by Anna Jenšíková.
Polish Maritime Offices
Sczecin | Słupsk | Gdynia
Polish Lighthouses
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme der ehemaligen deutschen Ostgebiete
Postcard views of historical German lighthouses in Poland and other former German territories, posted by Klaus Huelse.

Darlowo Light
Darłowo Light, Darłowo, March 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Red 81

Ustka Light
Ustka Light, Ustka, July 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Paweł Marynowski

Zachodniopomorskie (West Pomerania) Province Lighthouses

Kamień County Lighthouse
Kikut (Wisełka) {Kiesberg}
1962 (tower built 1826). Active; focal plane 91 m (299 ft); white light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 18 m (59 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted dark brown stone except for a red band painted just under the gallery; the lantern is unpainted gray metal, appearing white at a distance. Huelse has a good closeup photo, Trabas has a similar postcard photo, Anke and Jens have a photo, Wikimedia has several photos, Liedke has a page for the beacon, and Bing has a satellite view. This early nineteenth-century tower was used as a watchtower and later as a signal station before being converted to a lighthouse by the addition of a modern lantern. It is the highest light on Poland's generally low coastline. The lighthouse is in the seaside forest of the Woliński National Park. Located on a headland on the north shore of the island of Wolin, in the Odra delta near Wisełka. The path to the light is not marked, and the Leuchtturm-anke.de webmaster needed local knowledge to find the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. Site manager: Woliński Park Narodowy. ARLHS POL-011; Admiralty C2892; NGA 6496.

Gryfice County Lighthouse
*** Niechorze {Horst}
1866. Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); white flash every 10 s. 45 m (148 ft) octagonal concrete-covered German Imperial brick tower with lantern and gallery rising from a large 2-story brick keeper's house. Light station surrounded by a brick wall. Lantern is white; the concrete on the tower is in the form of vertical panels, so the tower appears red with off-white vertical stripes. The concrete was added in 1924. This is a staffed station with a female head keeper as of 2005. The regional government has a page on the lighthouse, with many photos, Wikimedia has a large portfolio of photos, Huelse has a closeup photo, Trabas has a photo showing restoration work in progress in 2008, Anke and Jens have a similar photo, Forand has a 1912 postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. The tower was heavily damaged in World War II and required extensive reconstruction, which was completed in 1948. The lighthouse was fully restored in 1999-2000. Located just outside the seaside resort town of Niechorze about halfway between Kikut and Kołobrzeg. Site open; tower is open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Szczecinie. ARLHS POL-014; Admiralty C2904; NGA 6520.

Kołobrzeg County Lighthouse
*** Kołobrzeg {Kolberg} (3)
1948 (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 3 s. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical brick tower with lantern and double gallery, rising from a large round eighteenth-century fortification. A most unusual lighthouse. The lantern is not attached directly to the tower, but is raised on eight columns; underneath, the open gallery provides a great observation platform for tourists. The tower is unpainted red brick; lantern and galleries are painted white, the lantern roof black. A photo is at right, the lighthouse has a web page, Jason Prini has an evening view, Wikimedia has several photos, Trabas has a fine photo, Anke and Jens have photos, Huelse has a good closeup photo, Forand has a postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Kołobrzeg has a long history, and lights are said to have been displayed here as early as 1666. The fortress on which the lighthouse stands was built by Prussia in the 1830s. In 1899 the light was on the pilot tower seen in Forand's postcard view; the 1909 tower, seen in Huelse's postcard view, was built on the present site. During World War II, the city was almost completely destroyed when the retreating German Army held out in Kołobrzeg against a 14-day siege. Nearly everything had to be rebuilt, including the lighthouse. Today, there is a small museum in the lighthouse. Located in town, on the waterfront, near the base of the east mole. Site open; museum and tower open daily April through October and Friday through Sunday in the winter. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-012; Admiralty C2906; NGA 6552.

Koszalin County Lighthouse
*** Gąski {Funkenhagen}
1878. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white light occulting three times, separated by 2.5 s, every 15 s. 50 m (163 ft) German Imperial round brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story octagonal brick base. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. 2-1/2 story brick keeper's house. Light station surrounded by a brick wall. Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a good photo and a historical postcard view, Anke and Jens have photos, Trabas has a good postcard photo, Forand also has a postcard view, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Unlike other Polish lighthouses, this handsome tower escaped major damage during World War II. After having its deteriorating brickwork patched up repeatedly over the years, the tower was thoroughly restored in 1995-97. The lighthouse is now open to the public; the keeper's house includes a restaurant and gift shop. Located on the coast about 20 km (13 mi) east of Kołobrzeg. Site open; museum and tower open daily May through September. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-004; Admiralty C2914; NGA 6560.
Kołobrzeg Light
Kołobrzeg Light, Kołobrzeg, September 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Mieczysaw

Sławno County Lighthouses
*** Darłowo {Rügenwalde}
1885. Active; focal plane 20 m (65 ft); white light, 2 s on, 3 s off, 2 s on, 8 s off. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a rectangular 2-story brick pilot house. Building is unpainted red brick; lantern and gallery rail painted white. Fresnel lens in use. Wikimedia has several photos including the photo at the top of this page, Anke and Jens have photos, Huelse also has a photo, Trabas has a foggy photo, and Google has a satellite view. Forand's postcard view shows the lighthouse before it was heightened by an additional story in 1927; another postcard view shows the present configuration. Restored in 1997-98, the building remained in use as the harbormaster's office for many years, but is now being converted to provide overnight accommodations. Located on the east side of the entrance to the Wieprza River in Darłowo, a small town halfway between Świnoujście and Gdynia. Site open, tower open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. Site manager: Port Darłowo. ARLHS POL-003; Admiralty C2918; NGA 6564.
*** Jarosławiec {Jershöft} (2)
1838 (station established 1830). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 9 s. 33 m (109 ft) round four-stage brick tower with lantern and gallery, connected to a 2-story brick keeper's house. Wikimedia has a portfolio of photos including Alina Zienowicz's photo at right, Huelse has a photo and a historic postcard view, Anke and Jens have photos, Trabas has a good postcard closeup, Forand has a postcard view, but the lighthouse is hard to spot in Google's fuzzy satellite view. This lighthouse marks a prominent northward bulge in the Polish coastline. The original lighthouse here proved to be too short; trees quickly grew taller than the light tower, which was not strong enough to be extended. Thus the lighthouse was quickly replaced. The tower was badly damaged during World War II, and it took more than a year to repair it after the war. In 1996 the lighthouse was restored and opened to the public as a tourist attraction. Located near the village of Jarosławiec, about 30 km (20 mi) northeast of Darłowo. Site open, tower open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-009; Admiralty C2926; NGA 6580.
Jaroslawiec Light
Jaroslawiec Light, Jaroslawiec, August 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Alina Zienowicz

Pomorskie (Pomerania) Province Lighthouses

Słupsk County Lighthouses
*** Ustka {Stolpmünde} (2)
1892 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light, 4 s on, 2 s off. 23 m (69 ft) octagonal brick tower rising from one corner of a 2-story brick pilot house. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. Paweł Marynowski's photo is at the top of this page, Matthew Ibbs has a good photo, Anke and Jens have photos, Wikimedia has a large portfolio of photos, Trabas has an excellent photo, Huelse has a closeup, Forand has a postcard view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This is one of the few Polish lighthouses to escape World War II without damage; it was back in service by November 1945. The building was restored in 2000. Today the pilot house is occupied by a resident caretaker and also by a station of the Polish weather service; the weather instruments are clustered around the lantern. Located at Ustka, a popular seaside resort town about 30 km (20 mi) northwest of the city of Słupsk. Site open, tower open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-020; Admiralty C2930; NGA 6584.
*** Czołpino {Scholpin}
1875. Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); white light: one long flash followed by one short flash every 8 s. 25 m (83 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted, watch room painted white, lantern dome black. A hyperradiant Fresnel lens (larger than 1st order) is in use. This is said to be the largest lens in use on the Baltic Sea. A photo is atright, Trabas has a fine postcard photo, Wikimedia has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. During the Communist era the light station was in a sensitive military area, but the lighthouse was restored in 1993-94 and subsequently opened to the public. The lighthouse stands about 1 km (0.6 mi) from the beach atop a forested dune in the Słowiński National Park, an international biosphere reserve famous for its dunes and freshwater pond system. Accessible at the end of a hiking trail (about 1 km (0.6 mi) from the parking area). Site open, tower open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-002; Admiralty C2940; NGA 6616.

Czolpino Light
Czołpino Light, Słupsk County
Urząd Morski w Słupsku photo


Wejherowo County Lighthouse
**** Stilo
1906. Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); three white flashes, separated by 2.2 s, every 12 s. 33.5 m (110 ft) 16-sided cast iron tower with lantern and double gallery. A tricolored lighthouse: lower third of tower painted black, center third white, upper third red; lantern, watch rooms, and galleries painted white. 3-story brick keeper's house attached to 1-story brick generator and equipment house. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical brick fog signal tower (early 1950s). Trabas has a good closeup, Wikimedia has many photos, Huelse has a photo and a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This beautiful cast iron lighthouse survived both world wars intact and looks today much as it did when it was built. The Fresnel lens was removed in 1975 and is on display at the Rozewie Light Museum (next entry). As of 2001, the light station was still maintained by resident keepers. Lighthouse Digest has a comprehensive article on the lighthouse, published in connection with its centennial in 2006. Located atop a hill about 800 m (1/2 mi) from the beach and about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of Łeba. Site open, tower open daily during the summer tourist season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Słupsku. ARLHS POL-017; Admiralty C2954; NGA 6632.

Puck County (Władysławowo Area and Hel Peninsula) Lighthouses
Note: The Hel Peninsula (Mierzeja Helska) is a 35 km (20 mi) long barrier sand spit extending southeastward from Władysławowo. Beaches on the peninsula are very popular in the summer. Władysławowo is a port located at the base of the Hel peninsula with its harbor facing north on the Baltic.
**** Rozewie {Rixhöft} East Tower
1822 (twice heightened). Active; focal plane 83 m (272 ft); white flash every 3 s. 32 m (105 ft) round tower, lower half concrete-clad (stone?) with a gallery at the top, upper half a tapered 2-stage steel tower with lantern and two more galleries. Lower half of tower is unpainted, upper half painted red. A photo is at right, Jan Jerszyński has a good 2005 photo, Huelse has a photo, Trabas has an older closeup by Klaus Kern, and Google has a satellite view. This unusual lighthouse was actually built in three stages.The original tower, now clad in concrete, was about 18 m (60 ft) tall. In 1910, when trees had grown tall enough to obscure the light, a 5 m (17 ft) conical steel tower was added atop the old tower, raising the height to 24 m (79 ft). Forand has a postcard view of the lighthouse as it appeared after 1910. In 1978, when even more height was required, the tower was extended a second time with a cylindrical steel section. The lighthouse marks Cape Rozewie, the northernmost point of Poland and the western entrance to the Gulf of Gdańsk. The lower section of the lighthouse houses a lighthouse museum with exhibits on all the Polish lighthouses; among the exhibits are the Fresnel lens from Stilo and the lantern from the former German lightship Adlergrund. Located on the cape about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Władysławowo. Site open; tower and museum open daily during the summer season. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-016; Admiralty C2960; NGA 6636.
* Rozewie {Rixhöft} West Tower
1878. Inactive since 1910. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with watch room and double gallery; lantern removed. The tower is unpainted yellow brick; watch room painted red. There is a tall communications antenna mounted atop the capped tower. This lighthouse was built to make Rozewie a double light for better identification at a distance. Wikipedia has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view showing both lighthouses as they appeared around 1900. Located about 200 m (220 yd) west of the historic east tower. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS POL-038.
#Władysławowo {Großendorf} North Breakwater (1)
1938. Inactive; removed by 2009. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal cast iron (?) tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted green. Adam Krzyzanowski has a December 2006 photo, Polish Wikipedia has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Jenšíková visited this site in August 2009 and found that the old tower had been removed. Located near the end of the breakwater sheltering the harbor of Władysławowo. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni.
Rozewie Light
Rozewie Light (East Tower), Władysławowo, September 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Julo
* Władysławowo {Großendorf} North Breakwater (2)
Date unknown (station established 1938). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green light, 3 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted green. This light has been built fairly recently on a short extension of the breakwater. A closeup photo and another good photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater sheltering the harbor of Władysławowo. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-040; Admiralty C2961; NGA 6640.
* Jastarnia Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red light occulting once every 4 s. Light mounted on the clock tower of a waterfront building; in Trabas's photo, the light is visible under the clock tower roof. NGA lists a skeletal tower with a yellow light, but the lens is clearly red in the photo. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The front light is on a post. Located on the waterfront of Jastarnia, a town on the south side of the Hel Peninsula. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2983.1; NGA 6656.
* Jastarnia (2)
1950 (station established 1938). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off, 9 s on, 7 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Daniel Nuszkiewicz has a photo, Trabas has a closeup taken by Huelse, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a 25 m (82 ft) steel skeletal tower, was blown up by Polish forces in 1939, at the start of World War II. The present lighthouse was constructed using a section of the original (1906) fog signal tower relocated from Stilo. Note: The German name for Jastarnia was Heisternest, but this name was applied to the lost lighthouse of Jastarnia Bór, 6.5 km (4 mi) to the east. Located at Jastarnia, on highway 216 about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of Władysławowo. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-010; Admiralty C2965; NGA 6664.
* Góra Szwedów
1936. Inactive since 1990. 17 m (56 ft) square steel skeletal tower with platform but no lantern, rising from a square 2-story concrete base. Wikimedia has a closeup by Maciej McLion Lewicki, a 2010 photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a dune at the easternmost bulge of the Hel peninsula about 3 km (1.8 mi) north of the Hel lighthouse. (The word góra means a mountain, so it is a tall dune.) Site open; apparently nothing prevents climbing the abandoned tower although the safety of this is doubtful. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS POL-043; ex-Admiralty C2966.
*** Hel {Hela} (5)
1942 (modern station established 1827). Active; focal plane 41 m (134 ft); white light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 40 m (131 ft) octagonal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Wikimedia has a portfolio of photos including Tomasz Kolowski's photo at right, Jenšíková's page has several photos, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the end of the Hel peninsula (Mierzeja Helska), a crucial point of reference for ships entering the Gulf of Gdańsk (Zatoka Gdańska). Lights were displayed in this area in the 17th century, including lights in a church tower as early as the 16th century. Lighthouses were buolt nearby in 1670 and 1790. Huelse has a postcard view of the 1827 lighthouse, and Forand has a postcard photo taken after the tower was painted with red and white bands in 1929. Like the Jastarnia Light, it was blown up by Polish forces in September 1939, at the start of World War II. Germany replaced the tower the next year, during the short-lived period of peace on the eastern front. In 1989 the tower was equipped with a radar antenna atop the lantern, and now the gallery is crowded with communications equipment. Located at the end of highway 216, about 72 km (45 mi) southeast of Władysławowo. Site open, tower open to the lantern room, but the gallery is closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-008; Admiralty C2968; NGA 6672.
Hel Light
Hel Light, Hel Peninsula, May 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Tomasz Kolowski

Gdynia City Lighthouses
Note: In the German Empire prior to World War I, Gdynia was a small resort town called Gdingen. The new Polish government developed the town as a seaport in the 1920s, since at that time it was the only coastal town in Polish hands.
Gdynia Entrance North
Date unknown (1930s?). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) 8-ribbed tapered concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted green. A good photo is available, Trabas has a closeup, Huelse has a historic postcard view of both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a detached breakwater on the north side of the main entrance to Gdynia harbor, the entrance used by Stena Line ferries sailing across the Baltic to and from Karlskrona, Sweden. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-078; Admiralty C3015.2; NGA 6729.
Gdynia Entrance South
Date unknown (1930s?). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) 8-ribbed tapered concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted concrete with red trim; lantern painted red. A 2009 photo is available, Trabas has a closeup, Huelse has a historic postcard view of both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a deatched breakwater on the south side of the main entrance to Gdynia harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-079; Admiralty C3016; NGA 6732.
Gdynia Entrance Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); yellow light, 3 s on, 2 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower, painted white. The tower carries a huge slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the breakwater quay on the north side of the entrance to the inner harbor known as the Awanport. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C3018; NGA 6716.
Gdynia Entrance Range Rear (Rumunska Quay, Yugoslav Quay)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (87 ft); yellow light occulting once every 5 s. 24 m (79 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower, painted white. The tower carries a huge slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. It appears that the quay is called the Rumunska Quay today; NGA calls it the Yugoslav Quay. Located at the end of the second of three large piers on the south side of the Awanport. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C3018.1; NGA 6720.
Gdynia Breakwater South End
Date unknown (1930s?). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 10 m (33 ft) pentagonal concrete tower with lantern. The lighthouse is unpainted concrete with green trim; lantern painted green. A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the extreme south end of the Gdynia breakwater, which extends about 3 km (1.8 mi) south from the Entrance South Light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. Admiralty C3016.2; NGA 6736.
Port Gdynia South Breakwater Light
Breakwater South End Light, Gdynia, November 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by kkic

Sopot City Lighthouse
*** Sopot
1957 (tower built 1904). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 33 m (108 ft) square masonry tower with a pyramidal roof. The light is in a small drum-shaped lantern attached to a narrow gallery outside a window about 3/4 of the way up the tower. The city's tourist site has a page on the lighthouse, Trabas has a good photo, Jenšíková has photos, Wikimedia has a portfolio of photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The tower was built as part of a large spa, which was very popular in the early 20th century. A light was installed on the tower in 1957; in 1978 it was replaced by the present lantern. Sopot, sometimes called the "summer capital" of Poland, is a town on the Gulf of Gdańsk on the southern outskirts of Gdynia. The town was part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 to 1939. The light guides ships into the town's harbor, which is protected by a long L-shaped mole. Site open, tower open daily during the summer. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. Site manager: unknown. ARLHS POL-034; Admiralty C3046; NGA 6844.

Gdańsk City Lighthouses
Note: The city of Gdańsk (known as Danzig in German) has been a major seaport on the Baltic Sea for many centuries. Between the two World Wars (1920-1939) it was independent as the Free City of Danzig (Freistadt Danzig).
* Brzeźno Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); yellow light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off, synchronized with the rear light. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. The tower carries a triangular slatted daymark, point up. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located just off the beach in the Brzeźno neighborhood, about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of the Nowy Port entrance. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C3062; NGA 6860.
* Brzeźno Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); yellow light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s offf, synchronized with the front light. 36 m (118 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Above the light, the tower carries a triangular slatted daymark, point down. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located in the Brzeźno neighborhood, about 330 m (360 yd) south southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C3062.1; NGA 6864.
Gdańsk Nowy Port West Breakwater (2)
2008(?) (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted green with a white base. Trabas has a good photo, and Mirosław Kręzel also has a photo. It appears that sometime in 2007-08 the short west breakwater was removed and the head of the quay rebuilt with a new lighthouse. Jenšíková has a photo (1/4 of the way down the page) of the earlier lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Nowy Port (New Port) was built in the 19th century to expand the traditional harbor of Gdańsk. Located at the end of the short east breakwater. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. Admiralty C3066; NGA 6880.
Gdańsk Nowy Port East Breakwater {Westerplatte} (2)
2012 (station established 1842). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); one long red flash every 6 s. 13 m (44 ft) octagonal tower, painted red with a black band around the base. A distant view from an arriving ship is available. This light replaces a historic lighthouse that was suddenly demolished, to the horror of preservationists, in April 2012. Pete Ford's photo of the original lighthouse is at right, Trabas has a good photo, Wikimedia has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the original lantern, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater. There are good views from many places around the harbor. Site and tower closed. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-006; Admiralty C3068; NGA 6876.
Gdańsk Inner Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); green light, 3 s on, 2 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower carrying two triangular slatted daymarks, pointed up. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located near the base of the east breakwater. Site status unknown. Admiralty C3064; NGA 6868.
Gdansk Nowy Port East Breakwater Light
1842 Nowy Port East Breakwater Light, Gdansk, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Pete Ford
Gdańsk Inner Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); green light, occulting once every 5 s. 32 m (105 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a triangular slatted daymark, pointed down. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located 370 m (1/4 mi) southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty C3064.1; NGA 6872.
** Twierdza Wisłoujście (Wisłoujście Fortress) {Weichselmünde}
1482. Inactive since 1758. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) round stone tower rising from the center of a 15th century fortress. A closeup photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east bank of the Motława River a short distance south of the harbor. Site and tower open.
*** Gdańsk Nowy Port {Danzig Neufahrwasser} (2)
1894 (station established 1758). Inactive since 1984 (a decorative light is displayed). 27 m (89 ft) octagonal brick tower with wooden lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story octagonal stone base. Tower is unpainted red brick; lantern painted white with a black dome. A photo is at right, Huelse has a photo and a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse is said to have been designed to resemble the Cleveland Light (now lost) in the U.S. state of Ohio. In its later years the lighthouse displayed a directional light through a square window in the lantern room. A pole atop the lantern carried a time ball until 1921; in a 2009 visit Anna Jenšíková found that the time ball has been restored. The lighthouse was damaged by fire from Polish forces during the first days of World War II; it was quickly repaired, but some of the patches in the brickwork are visible. The light was replaced in 1984 by the modern, much taller tower at the harbormaster's office (next entry). The historic lighthouse was protected as a historic site in 1986. A photo of the 1758 lighthouse is also available. Located just off the waterfront at Nowy Port in Gdańsk. Site open; tower open daily, at least during the summer season. Site manager: Latarnia Morska Gdańsk Nowy Port. ARLHS POL-033.
* Gdańsk Port Północny (Northern Port)
1984. Active; focal plane 56 m (184 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. 61 m (200 ft) square cylindrical tower supporting a 3-story control room and observation superstructure, topped by a radar antenna. Tower painted blue, superstructure white. A 2008 photo is available, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a good satellite view. The tower houses the harbor control facilities for Gdańsk and Gdynia. Located at the harbormaster's office, to which it is attached, at the base of the north breakwater of the new harbor on the east side of Gdańsk. Site open, tower status unknown. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-007; Admiralty C3080.8; NGA 6968.
Gdańsk North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a long spur branching southeast from the end of the north breakwater. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C3081.21; NGA 6954.
Gdańsk Liquid Fuel Jetty
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red light, 3 s on, 1 s off. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a spur of the north (main) breakwater of the new Northern Port of Gdańsk. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C3081.28; NGA 6961.
Latarnia Morska Gdansk
Nowy Port Light, Gdańsk, April 2006
Wikimedia photo copyright City of Gdańsk;
reproduction permitted with attribution
Gdańsk Detached Breakwater (North Head)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the north end of a short detached breakwater protecting the Northern Port from northeast winds. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C3081.5; NGA 6962.

Nowy Dwór Gdański County (Vistula Spit) Lighthouse
** Krynica Morska {Kahlberg} (2)
1951 (station established 1895; inactive 1945-1951). Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 6 s off. 27 m (89 ft) round cement block tower with lantern and gallery, painted orange-red; lanten and gallery painted white. 1-1/2 story keeper's house apparently occupied by a resident keeper. Trabas has a postcard photo, Wikimedia has a portfolio of photos, and Huelse has a photo, but Google has only a distant and fuzzy satellite view. Huelse also has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, a handsome building, which was blown up by retreating German forces in 1945. The lighthouse is located on the Wiślana (Vistula) peninsula (Mierzeja Wiślana), a very long barrier spit that extends along the southeastern edge of the Gulf of Gdańsk. The east end of the peninsula lies across the Russian frontier. Located on highway 501 about 100 km (60 mi) east of Gdańsk and midway on the Polish portion of the peninsula. Site open, tower reported open during the summer but information is needed on the schedule. Operator: Urząd Morski w Gdyni. ARLHS POL-013; Admiralty C3090; NGA 6996.

Warmińsko-Mazurskie (Warmian-Masurian) Province Lighthouses

Elbląg County (Vistula Lagoon) Lighthouse
Note: The Vistula Lagoon or Vistula Bay (Zalew Wiślany in Polish) is a shallow lagoon, 90 km (56 mi) long and 10 to 19 km (6 to 15 mi) wide, separated from the Baltic Sea by the Vistula Spit. A little more than 1/3 of the lagoon is in Poland; the rest is in the Russian province of Kaliningrad.
Gdańsk Channel
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); light characteristic unknown. 11 m (36 ft) tower mounted on a large round stone base. Trabas has a photo, and another photo is available, but the light is barely visible as a small spot in Bing's satellite view. Located near the western end of the lagoon. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C3242.
[Elbląg Junction {Elbing} (2)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored with black and white horizontal bands., mounted on a large round concrete pier. Trabas has a photo, Marek Ledóchowski has an aerial photo, a winter 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view of the pier. This modern light replace a square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, seen in a 1930s photo posted by Bernhard Waldmann and a 1941 postcard view posted by Forand. Located in the lagoon at the junction of the dredged channel leading to Elbląg. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C3224.
* Tolkmicko {Tolkemit}
Date unknown. Inactive since 2012. Approx. 24 m (79 ft) square red brick tower of the Church of St James the Apostle (Kościół św. Jakuba Apostoła). The church dates from the 14th century. Another good photo is available, and Google has a street view but only a blurry satellite view of the town. Located in the center of Tolkmicko, a town on the south shore of the lagoon. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C3220.1.
* Frombork {Frauenburg} Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) square red brick steeple of the Church of St Adalbert (Kościół św. Wojciecha). The light is mounted beside the next-to-highest window of the steeple. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located in the center of Frombork, a village on the south shore of the lagoon about 15 km (9 mi) east of Tolkmicko. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C3213.1.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Jastarnia Bór {Heisternest} (1872-1936), Hel Peninsula about 6.5 km (4 mi) east of Jastarnia. This was a 35 m (115 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery. A photo and a second photo (showing a more modern lantern) are available, and ARLHS has a postcard view. Polish forces blew up the tower in 1939 to prevent German ships from using it as a daybeacon; Wikimapia photos show that very little remains. ARLHS POL-085.
  • Oksywie {Oxhöft} (1887-1933), Gulf of Gdańsk north of Gdynia. A photo and several additional photos are available. The lighthouse was demolished in 1939, at the start of World War II. ARLHS POL-044.
  • Rowokół, Słupsk County. A lighthouse was intended here, but apparently it was never built. There is a watchtower on the site today.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  •  

Adjoining pages: East: Kaliningrad | West: Świnoujście and the Odra

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 18, 2005. Checked and revised January 20, 2014. Lighthouses: 39. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.