Lighthouses of Canada: Eastern Québec

The Canadian province of Québec once had at least 275 lighthouses, but only about 80 remain today. A number of historic towers have been carefully restored, but lighthouse preservation as a whole has been a little slower to take hold in Québec than in the maritime provinces. This seems to be changing for the better, with reports of several recent preservation and restoration efforts.

There is no province-wide preservation association, but the Corporation des Gestionnaires des Phares de l'Estuaire et du Golfe Saint-Laurent works to promote and preserve the lighthouses of the lower St. Lawrence and Gaspé.

Most navigation in Québec is along the St. Lawrence River. Below Québec city the river widens into an increasingly broad estuary (the largest estuary in the world). This page lists lighthouses of the south shore of the estuary near and below Québec city as well as the Gaspé Peninsula, which extends out into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Lighthouses of the Îles de la Madeleine, located in the Gulf about 175 km (110 mi) southeast of the Gaspé Peninsula, are listed on a separate page.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses.

Special thanks to Michel Forand for his help in compiling these listings; in particular, he was the first person to inventory accurately on the Internet the range lighthouses of the middle St. Lawrence.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast list of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Quebec Canada Lighthouses
Photos and text, including travel directions, by Kraig Anderson.
Lighthouses in Quebec, Canada
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Quebec
Photos of Quebec lighthouses posted by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Quebec
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses of the St. Lawrence
Ted Fitzgerald's August 2001 feature article in Lighthouse Digest covers a dozen lighthouses between Cap des Rosiers and Rivière-du-Loup.
La Route des Phares du Québec
An attractive site (in French) with visitor information on most of the traditional lighthouses.
La Route des Phares du Québec
A collection of historic photos posted by Vicky Lapointe.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Phare de la Martre
La Martre Light, La-Martre-de-Gaspé, March 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Fabienne Dubosson

Chaudière-Appalaches Region Lighthouses

Lotbinière Municipality Lighthouses
* #Leclercville (Sainte-Emmélie) Range Rear (2)
1915 (station established 1880). Demolished in the mid 2000s. This was an 11 m (36 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. The active light (focal plane 57 m (186 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line) is on an 11 m (36 ft) skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Bash has a photo of the present light, Anderson also has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This is a downstream range; the front light is on a short skeletal tower 1040 m (0.65 mi) west. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) back from the south shore of the river west of Leclercville. Site appears to be open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1147; CCG 2016; Admiralty H2358.1; NGA 4320.
* Lotbinière Range Rear (3)
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft)); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The original light was on a short wood tower; this was replaced by a skeletal tower in the 1930s. Located 868 m (0.54 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1148; CCG 2007;
* Lotbinière Range Front (2)
About 1920 (station established 1871). Demolished about 2008. This was an 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with enclosed square wood lantern, painted white with red trim. The active light (focal plane 15 m (50 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line) is on a square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Anderson's page has a photo of the new light tower. He found the enclosed upper section of the historic tower sitting on the ground; this is also seen in Google's street view. Apparently it is in the possession of the property owner. As of April 2014, Bing's satellite view showed the historic tower. This is an upstream range. Located on the south shore of the river west of Lotbinière, near the pier in the village of Vieille-Église. Site and tower closed, but the light can be seen from the Vieille-Église quay. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1149; CCG 2006; Admiralty H2348; NGA 4228.
* Saint-Antoine Traverse Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous green light. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Bash has a photo, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located 320 m (1050 ft) southwest of the front light and about 200 m (650 ft) south of the St. Antoine Course front light (next entry). Site status unknown, but the tower can be seen from nearby. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1249; CCG 1977; Admiralty H2336; NGA 4108.
* Saint-Antoine Course Range Front
1902. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Anderson's page has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range; the rear light is on the same tower as the St.-Antoine Traverse Range Front Light (next entry). Located at the end of Place des Phares, on the south side of the river off QC 132 west of Saint-Antoine de Tilly. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1247; CCG 1975; Admiralty H2336.1; NGA 4112.
* Saint-Antoine Traverse Range Front/Course Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green lights for both ranges. 16 m (52 ft) rectangular cylindrical skeletal tower. One side of the tower carries a large daymark for the St.-Antoine Course Range Rear Light, and the other a smaller daymark for the Traverse Range Front, both daymarks are orange with a black vertical stripe. Bash's photo is at right, and Google has a good street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located 250 m (820 ft) northeast of the St.-Antoine Course Front Light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1248; CCG 1976; Admiralty H2335.9; NGA 4104.
St. Antoine Common Range Light
St. Antoine Traverse Front/Course Rear Light, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash

Bellechasse Municipality Lighthouses
Saint-Michel Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 25 m (82 ft) triangular skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. It appears quite slender in a Google satellite view. No photo available. Located in a farm field 1738 m (1.08 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). CCG 1919; Admiralty H2274.1; NGA 3840.
#Saint-Michel Range Front (1)
1928. Demolished during the late 2000s. This was a 24.5 m (80 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room. Jean Goupil has a good 2005 photo of the historic tower. ARLHS CAN-994.
Saint-Michel Range Front (2)
Around 2007 (station established 1928). Active; focal plane 30 m (97 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 25 m (82 ft) triangular skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Anderson has a photo (second photo on the page), and Google has a street view, but the lighthouse is hard to spot in Google's indistinct satellite view. Located on the south shore of the river in Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse, about 18 km (11 mi) east of Québec. Site status unknown, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 1918; Admiralty H2274; NGA 3836.
[Île de Bellechasse (2)]
1969 (station established 1862). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); yellow flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, but the small tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The original lighthouse, a square wood tower attached to a keeper's cottage, was demolished in 1969. Located on a rocky ledge on the south side of the St. Lawrence off the village of Berthier-sur-Mer. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-773; CCG 1920; Admiralty H2272; NGA 6512.

L'Islet Municipality Lighthouse
Pilier de Pierre (Stone Pillar)
1843 (Charles Atherton). Active; focal plane 25 m (83 ft); white flash every 6 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical stone tower, unpainted; lantern painted red. Francis Brabant's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Les Amis du Port-Joli worked with the Coast Guard to restore the lighthouse in 2006-08; the solar-powered LED lighting system was installed at that time. The island is an important bird nesting area. Located on a rocky shoal in the St. Lawrence about 7 km (4 mi) west of St.-Jean-Port-Joli. Accessible only by boat. Visible distantly from a rest area on QC 132 about 5 km (3 mi) west of St.-Jean-Port-Joli. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-979; CCG 1876; Admiralty H2228; NGA 6584.

Kamouraska Municipality Lighthouses
Grande Île Kamouraska (2)
1982. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 6 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The original lighthouse, a square wood tower attached to a keeper's cottage, was demolished in 1982; some foundation ruins may be visible. Located on the northeasternmost of the Îles Kamouraska, about 7 km (4 mi) north of the village of Kamouraska. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-972; CCG 1838; Admiralty H2174; NGA 6652.
Long Pèlerin (Long Pilgrim) (1)
1862. Inactive since 1982. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower, formerly rising from the center of 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lantern removed. The active light (focal plane 43.5 m (143 ft); white flash every 6 s) is on a 14 m (45 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying daymark panels colored in a red and white checkerboard pattern. The keeper's house was demolished in the 1980s, leaving only the tower standing; the upper part of the tower is still painted white, but the rest is unpainted. Sibling of Pot à l'Eau-de-Vie. Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, Marc Lamarre has a 2009 view from the estuary that shows the new tower, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and the shadow of the tower is visible in a Google satellite view. Long Pèlerain is a long, narrow island (the summit of a submerged ridge) in the center of the St. Lawrence off Rivière-du-Loup. Located near the center of the island; visible distantly from the waterfront of St.-André-de-Kamouraska. Accessible only by boat; tours of the island can be arranged through Société Duvetnor. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-284; CCG 1832; Admiralty H2172; NGA 6664.
Phare du Pilier de Pierre
Pilier de Pierre Light, St.-Jean-Port-Joli, June 2006
Panoramio photo copyright Francis Brabant; permission requested

Bas-Saint-Laurent (Lower St. Lawrence) Region Lighthouses

Rivière-du-Loup Municipality Lighthouse
** Pot à l'Eau-de-Vie (Brandy Pot)
1862. Inactive since 1964. Approx. 15 m (50 ft) round cylindrical tower rising from the center of 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; building roofs and lantern roof are bright red. The active light on a 12. 5 (41 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower (focal plane 36 m (119 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off). The historic lighthouse was restored by Duvetnor Ltée. in 1989 as a bed and breakfast inn. The company also offers guided tours of the island and lighthouse departing from its dock in Rivière-du-Loup harbor. A fine photo is available, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, and Google has a satellite view of the station. Lighthouse Digest featured the lighthouse in January 2005. Located at the east end of the island, off Rivière-du-Loup. Site and tower open to guided tours. Owner/site manager: La Société Duvetnor Ltée. ARLHS CAN-601; CCG 1827; Admiralty H2164; NGA 6684.
** Île Verte (Green Island)
1809. Active; focal plane 16.5 m (54 ft); white flash every 5 s. 17 m (55 ft) round cylindrical stone tower, painted white; lantern painted red. Canada's third oldest lighthouse. Fog signal building houses historical displays. Two keeper's houses are operated as a bed and breakfast inn. Stéphane Batigne's photo is at right, Myrique Baumier has a closeup photo, Wikimedia has photos, a more distant view is available, Lighthouse Digest featured this light station in February 2006, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The island is accessible by ferry from Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs, off QC 132 near the mainland village of Île Verte, but only a few cars can be carried. Located on the north side of the island about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) from the ferry terminal. Site and tower open. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Île Verte. ARLHS CAN-244; CCG 1761; Admiralty H2146; NGA 6724.

Témiscouata Municipality Lighthouse
* Cabano
1999. Active (privately maintained); white light, characteristic unknown. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) hexagonal tower with round lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and gallery painted red. A good closeup and a more distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Cabano is a town on the east side of Lac Témiscouata roughly halfway between Rivière-du-Loup and the New Brunswick border. Located on the south pier, near the marina in Cabano, which merged with a neighboring town in 2010 to form the city of Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Ville de Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac.
Île Verte Light
Île Verte Light, Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs, July 2004
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Stéphane Batigne

Rimouski-Neigette Municipality Lighthouses
Île Bicquette
1844. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); sector lights: white flash every 6 s and/or red flash every 2 s, depending on direction of approach. 22.5 m (74 ft) round masonry tower, painted white; lantern and watch room painted red. Light station buildings now house a weather station. Denis Bernier has a 2008 photo, another photo is available, Wikimedia has distant views, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a distant satellite view of the station. DFO has an aerial photo taken around 1980. Located on a small island near the larger Île du Bic, on the south side of the river about 40 km (25 mi) west of Rimouski. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Environment Canada (Îles de l’Estuaire National Wildlife Area). ARLHS CAN-237; CCG 1748; Admiralty H2084; NGA 6768.
* Rimouski (2)
1970s (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 12.5 m (41 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. A sunset photo is available, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. The original light was a lantern mounted on a waterfront shed. Located at the end of the ferry wharf in Rimouski; from here the fast ferry Évolution sails between Rimouski and Forestville on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1161; CCG 1733; Admiralty H2072; NGA 6776.
**** Pointe-au-Père (Father Point) (3)
1909 (station established 1859). Inactive since 1975 (a decorative light was established in 2004). 33 m (108 ft) 16-sided cylindrical concrete tower with eight pyramidal buttresses; original 3rd order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse is white; lantern and watch room painted red. Dennis Jarvis's photo is at right, Anderson's page has photos, John Clement Howe has an excellent photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The first lighthouse was privately built; the second (1867) was the square masonry tower seen in Huelse's historic postcard view (ca. 1906). In 1975 the light was transferred to a pyramidal steel skeletal tower, which is still standing but has also been deactivated. The light station buildings converted to a maritime museum, in part recognizing more than 1000 people who died when the Empress of Ireland wrecked near here in 1914. Located at the end of Rue Père-Nouvel, off QC 132 about 10 km (6 mi) east of Rimouski. Site open; museum and tower open daily June 1 through mid October. Owner: Parks Canada. Site managers: Site Historique Maritime de la Pointe-au-Père. ARLHS CAN-394; ex-Admiralty H2070.
* Pointe-au-Père (Father Point) (4)
1975. Inactive. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with gallery. The tower is seen in Bash's photo and in many other photos of the historic lighthouse, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located northeast of the 1909 lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
Phare de Pointe-au-Père
Pointe-au-Père Light, Rimouski, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

La Mitis Municipality Lighthouse
* Pointe Mitis (Métis-sur-Mer) (2)
1909 (station established 1874). Active (maintained by the municipal government); focal plane 21 m (69 ft); three white flashes every 7.5 s. 21 m (69 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower. Original 3rd order Chance Brothers Fresnel lens, still rotated by the original mechanism. The two 1-1/2 story wood keeper's houses have been used by the Canadian Forest Service as a research station since 1978. Henri Willox has a good closeup photo, Patrick Matte has a more distant view, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on a square pyramidal wood tower. The present tower was originally round; it was reinforced with additional concrete in 1924, giving it the current hexagonal profile. Located at the end of a private road off QC 132 about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Métis-sur Mer. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: Municipalité de Métis-sur Mer. Site manager: Canadian Forest Service. ARLHS CAN-376; CCG 1707; Admiralty H2048; NGA 6800.

Matane Municipality Lighthouse
**** Matane (2)
1907 (station established 1873). Inactive since 1951. 20 m (67 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted white; lantern is red. The 1-1/2 story keeper's house is the tourist information center for Matane. Cynthia Zullo's photo is at the bottom of this page, Wikimedia has photos, Romaine Pelletier has a fine photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, a view from the river is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view in which the surroundings of the station are more rural than they are today. The station was purchased by the Société d'Histoire de Matane in 1952 and transferred to the city in 1962. Located on the Avenue du Phare (QC 132) near the Boulevard Dion on the west side of the city. Parking provided. Site open, tower open to guided tours May through October. Owner/site manager: Ville de Matane. ARLHS CAN-956.

Gaspésie-Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region Lighthouses

Note: Lighthouses of the Îles de la Madeleine are described on a separate page.
Haute-Gaspésie Municipality Lighthouses
** Cap Chat (2)
1909 (station established 1871). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 41.5 m (136 ft); white flash every 6 s. 13.5 m (44 ft) square cylindrical wood tower. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery bright red. 3rd order Barbier, Bénard and Turenne Fresnel lens. 2-story wood keepers house available for overnight accommodations. Annie Caya has a closeup photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The tower was originally attached to a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, as seen in Huelse's postcard view. The light was deactivated officially in 2007, but subsequently relit. The lighthouse is located adjacent to a wind generation facility. A museum on site has exhibits on the lighthouse and local maritime history as well as on wind power. Located off QC 132 about 3 miles west of Cap-Chat. Site and museum open early June through mid September, tower closed. Owner/operator/site manager: Parc du Rocher Cap-Chat. ARLHS CAN-089; CCG 1685; Admiralty H1860; NGA 6832.
**** La Martre de Gaspé (2)
1906 (station established 1876). Active (maintained by the municipal government); focal plane 39.5 m (130 ft); four long flashes (2 s each), separated by 3 s of darkness, every 30 s. 19 m (63 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower. Lighthouse painted red with one white vertical stripe. Original 2-story wood keeper's house used as town offices, with a small museum on site. Fabienne Dubosson's photo appears at the top of this page, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This picturesque lighthouse was preserved for many years by its former keeper Yves Foucrault. Located on a steep hill just off QC 132 in the village of La Martre. Site open; tower open to guided tours daily mid June to early September. Owner/operator: Municipalité de la Martre. Site manager: Musée des Phares. ARLHS CAN-266; CCG 1657; Admiralty H1842; NGA 6848.
**** Cap de la Madeleine (2)
1907 (station established 1871). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 44.5 m (146 ft); three white flashes (separated by 4.5 s) every 27 s. 11 m (37 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower attached to a small workroom. Lighthouse painted white with red trim. Fresnel lens, replaced as the active light about 2000 but still mounted in the lantern. Museum and restaurant on site. A photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located at the end of Route du Phare off QC 132 in Rivière-la-Madeleine. Site open, tower open to guided tours daily mid June to early September. Owner/operator/site manager: Association Touristique de Rivière-la-Madeleine. ARLHS CAN-081; CCG 1651; Admiralty H1828; NGA 6868.

Cap de la Madeleine Light, Rivière-la-Madeleine, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Pixel Pepp

La Côte-de-Gaspé Municipality Lighthouses
* Pointe à la Renommée (L'Anse à Valleau, Fame Point) (3)
1975. Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); white flash every 10 s. 33 m (108 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery. A distant photo is available, and Google has a distant street view, but the tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. Located on the hilltop about 1.5 km (1 mi) northwest of l'Anse-à-Valleau. Site status unknown. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 1640; Admiralty H1800; NGA 6900.
****Pointe à la Renommée (L'Anse à Valleau, Fame Point) (1)
1880. Inactive since 1907. 11m (36 ft) square wood tower attached to the front of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lantern removed and replaced by a pyramidal roof. Located adjacent to the 1907 lighthouse (next entry).
**** Pointe à la Renommée (L'Anse à Valleau, Fame Point) (2)
1907 (station established 1880). Inactive since 1975. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower attached by a covered walkway to the 1880 keeper's house; 1st order Fresnel lens mounted in the lantern. Entire lighthouse painted red. The active light is nearby on a 31 m (103 ft) skeletal tower. Anderson's page has good photos, Serge Robert has an excellent photo, Brian McMorrow also has a good photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view. Google's very distant satellite view has no detail in this area. The lighthouse was dismantled and removed in 1977. In 1981 it was reassembled in front of the Coast Guard headquarters in Québec city, where it remained it was returned to its original site in 1997. The light station also includes a historic early radio station (1904). Located atop a cliff off QC 132 about 5 km (3 mi) west of L'Anse à Valleau. Site open, tower open for guided tours daily from early June through mid October. Owner: Comité Local de Développement de l'Anse-à-Valleau. Site manager: Site Historique de Pointe-à-la-Renommée. ARLHS CAN-392.
**** Cap des Rosiers
1858. Active; focal plane 41.5 m (136 ft); white light, 15 s on, 5 s off. 34 m (112 ft) round limestone tower, faced with brick, painted white; lantern roof is red. A photo is at right, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Vlad Ghiea has a great photo, another good photo is available, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. This is Canada's tallest lighthouse and one of a small group of tall mid-19th century stone towers known as the "Imperial Towers." In late 2014, there were disturbing reports that the lighthouse is in urgent need of restoration, with cracks in the masonry being widened by freeze and thaw cycles. Restoration could cost $3-5 million, and neither the federal givermnet nor the town of Gaspé has the necessary funds. Located on the cape at the village of Cap des Rosiers, off QC 132 east of Gaspé and surrounded by Forillon National Park. Site open (free); tower open for climbing (small fee) mid June through mid September. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Phare de Cap des Rosiers. ARLHS CAN-085; CCG 1621; Admiralty H1768; NGA 6936.
Phare de Cap des Rosiers
Cap des Rosiers Light, Gaspé, September 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ben Legardeur
Cap Gaspé (3)
1950 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 107 m (351 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Richard Brockbank has a good closeup, DFO has an aerial photo illustrating the spectacular site, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but Google's very distant satellite view has no detail in this area. The original wood lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1890; an 1873 photo of the original lighthouse is available (third photo on the page), and Huelse has a historic postcard view of that lighthouse. The second (1892) lighthouse was also wooden; Anderson's page has photos of both of the early lighthouses. Located at the end of a long peninsula at the very tip of the Gaspé Peninsula; accessible by a fairly strenuous hike of at least 5 km (3 mi) round trip (in good weather it's possible to reach the lighthouse by bicycle). Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Parks Canada (Forillon National Park). ARLHS CAN-087; CCG 1426; Admiralty H1762; NGA 6944.
Gros Cap aux Os
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); red flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent headland on the north side of the Baie de Gaspé. Probably accessible by a hiking trail. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Parks Canada (Forillon National Park). CCG 1420.5; Admiralty H1756; NGA 6956.
Île Plate (Gaspé) (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 20.5 m (67 ft); white fkash every 6 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying two rectangular orange daymarks. Denis Bernier has a distant view, but the tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. The original lighthouse, a square wood tower attached to a keeper's house, was replaced in 1924. It is not known when the lighthouse was demolished. Note: there is another Île Plate Light on the north coast of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Located on a small island off Pointe Saint-Pierre, at the south entrance to the Baie de Gaspé. Accessible only by boat, but the light can be seen from QC 312 at Pointe Saint-Pierre. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-782; CCG 1412; Admiralty H1738; NGA 6980.

Le Rocher-Percé Municipality Lighthouses
[Cap Blanc (Percé) (1)]
1874. Inactive since 1915. This was originally a 6 m (20 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery. The first story of the lighthouse has been relocated to Percé, where it serves as privately onwed storage building. Anderson has a historic photo of the lighthouse and a photo of the salvaged storage building; it has a pyramidal roof, is covered with shingles, and is painted beige with blue trim. Site closed (private property).
* Cap Blanc (Percé) (2)
1915 (station established 1874). Inactive since 1997(?). 7 m (24 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with red trim. Myrique Baumier has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The cape is famous for a natural arch, for which the town of Percé is named; David Behrens has a photo of the lighthouse seen through the arch. The Ville de Percé was seeking ownership of the decommissioned lighthouse and may have acquired it, since the tower appears to have been repainted recently. Located off QC 132 about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Percé, adjacent to a campground, Camping du Phare à Percé. Accessible by a short walk through the campground. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS CAN-955.
** Cap d'Espoir (2)
1939 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 25.5 m (84 ft); four long white flashes (2 s each) every 30 s.14 m (46 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Several light station buildings survive, and the 4-bedroom principal keeper's quarters is available for vacation rental by the week. A photo is at right, Myrique Baumier's October 2007 photo shows the lighthouse in need of paint, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view. The station is barely visible in Google's distant satellite view. This light marks the north side of the broad entrance to the Baie des Chaleurs (Chaleur Bay). The lighthouse was repainted and refurbished in late 2008, although the paint is already flaking off in Josée Bourdon's March 2009 photo. Located at the end of Route du Phare, several miles off QC 132 in Percé. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Maisons du Phare. ARLHS CAN-086; CCG 1403; Admiralty H1718; NGA 7004.
Phare du Cap d'EspoirCap d'Espoir Light, Percé, December 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by ben7va
Port-Daniel Ouest
1907. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal pyramidal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Alex Fretier has a 2009 photo, a 2008 photo is available, Bob Charlton has a closeup from the early 1960s, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a sharp promontory close to a chalet resort off Route de la Pointe in Port-Daniel. Site open only to paying guests, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Chaleur Chalets. ARLHS CAN-781; CCG 1379; Admiralty H1680; NGA 7072.

Bonaventure Municipality Lighthouses
* Pointe Bonaventure
1902 (relocated from Pointe Échouerie in 1907). Inactive since 1998. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Daniel Bisson has a 2009 photo, another photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in a campground on the point a few miles east of Bonaventure, just off QC 132. Parking available. Site open, although the lighthouse is on private property; tower closed. Owner/site manager: Camping Plage Beaubassin. ARLHS CAN-779; ex-Admiralty H1658.
* Pointe Duthie
1903 (reconstructed in 1989). Inactive since 1914. 10 m (33 ft) white square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. Annie Caya has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. In 1918 the lighthouse was relocated in two sections to a nearby farm, where the upper section was destroyed by fire. The lower section was used as a storage shed for many years. In 1989 the Gaspésian British Heritage Centre acquired the surviving section of the lighthouse and reconstructed it at its present location. Located in a historical park on Perron Boulevard, off QC 132 in New Richmond. Walking distance through the park is about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) one-way; horse-drawn carts available. Owner/site manager: Gaspésian British Heritage Village. ARLHS CAN-985.

Avignon Municipality Lighthouse
* Carleton (Pointe Tracadigache) (4)
1984 replica of 1911 lighthouse (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Bash's photo is at right, Eric Constantineau has a good photo, Graham Hobster has a panoramic view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The 1911 lighthouse burned in 1970 and was replaced by a skeletal tower; the present replica was built by community effort in 1984. Located on Pointe Tracadigache, near the Carleton campground off QC 132 in Carleton-sur-Mer. Site sopen, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Camping de Carleton-sur-Mer. ARLHS CAN-964; CCG 1365; Admiralty H1638; NGA 7108.
Phare du Carleton
Carleton Light, Carleton-sur-Mer, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Phare de Matane
Matane Light, Matane, September 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Cynthia Zullo

Adjoining pages: North: Northeastern Québec | East: Îles de la Madeleine | Southeast: Northern New Brunswick | Southwest: Southern Québec

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 12, 2003. Checked and revised May 2, 2014. Lighthouses: 37. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.