Lighthouses of Canada: Northeastern Québec

The Canadian province of Québec once had at least 275 lighthouses, but only about 80 remain today. A number of historic towers have been carefully restored, but lighthouse preservation as a whole has been a little slower to take hold in Québec than in the maritime provinces. This seems to be changing for the better, with reports of several recent preservation and restoration efforts. However, there is no province-wide preservation association.

This page lists lighthouses of the north shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the St. Lawrence estuary below Québec city. Most navigation in Québec is along the St. Lawrence. Below Québec city the river widens into an increasingly broad estuary (the largest estuary in the world). There are no bridges across this inland sea, so for land travelers the north shore of the estuary is remote from the south shore. The estuary empties into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and Québec's territory extends for many miles along its north shore.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses.

Special thanks to Michel Forand for his help in compiling these listings; in particular, he was the first person to inventory accurately on the Internet the range lighthouses of the middle St. Lawrence.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast list of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Quebec Canada Lighthouses
Photos and text, including travel directions, by Kraig Anderson.
Photos des Phares du Saint-Laurent
A Flickr.com collection of photos by Jean Goupil.
Lighthouses in Quebec
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Atlantic Coast of Canada
Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Haut-Fond Prince Light
Haut-fond Prince Light, July 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Caroline Robert

Côte-Nord (North Coast) Region Lighthouses

Golfe-du-St.-Laurent Municipality Lighthouses
Île Greenly (3)
1983 (station established 1878). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with a square lantern room and gallery. The tower also carries an orange slatted daymark. Google has a good satellite view. This is the landfall light for Blanc-Sablon, the easternmost village of Québec on the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The original lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1949 and then by the present tower in 1983. Located on the southwestern point of Île Greenly, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Blanc-Sablon. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-975; CCG 1528.9.
Île Plate (1)
1913. Inactive since 1979. 10 m (34 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern; tower painted white, lantern red. Keeper's houses demolished. Bing has only a distant satellite view of the island. Located on an island on the north side of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence south of Saint-Augustin. Accessible only by boat; should be visible from ferry steamers serving the isolated villages along the north shore of the gulf. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-242.
Île Plate (2)
1979 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 30 m (99 ft); white flash every 6 s. 24 m (80 ft) square steel skeletal tower with gallery. Located near the historic lighthouse. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 1543; Admiralty H1894; NGA 2840.
Île Sainte-Marie (St. Mary Islands) (1)
1913. Inactive since 1981. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. No current photo available, and Google has only a distant satellite view of the island. The active light (focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 2.5 s) is on a 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower. Located on an island off a prominent cape guiding vessels into the northeastern corner of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-243; CCG 1562; Admiralty H1904; NGA 2932.
[Pointe de Natashquan (1)]
1914. Lighthouse destroyed in 1995. 9.5 m (31 ft) square skeletal tower. This was a 9 m (30 ft) hexagonal concrete tower, buttressed at the corners, with lantern and gallery. In 1992, as the lighthouse was threatened by erosion of the cliff on which it stood, the light was moved to a 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal tower. Goupil has a 2005 photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view of the location. The historic lighthouse could have been saved by moving it back from the cliff, but it was abandoned to its fate and collapsed over the edge in 1995. One small building survives at the station, and ruins of the lighthouse may survive on the beach. The light on the skeletal tower was discontinued in 2006, although it is still listed by NGA. Located on a prominent cape about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Natashquan. Site open. ARLHS CAN-336; ex-Admiralty H1912; NGA 3004.

Minganie Municipality: Île d'Anticosti Lighthouses
Note: The Île d'Anticosti is an island in the mouth of the St. Lawrence estuary. It is quite large, almost 220 km (135 mi) long, but its permanent population is less than 300. Port-Menier, on the south coast near the west end of the island, is the only settlement of any size. Anticosti is accessible in the summer by air or by car ferry from Rivière-au-Renard on the Gaspé Peninsula or from Havre St.-Pierre on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. The Route Transanticosti, a rough gravel road, runs the length of the island; 4WD vehicles are strongly recommended. Several companies offer ecotours that include stops at one or more lighthouses. The island is administered as part of the Minganie Regional County Municipality.
[Pointe Heath]
1835. Inactive since 1965 at least. Ruins of a 40.5 m (133 ft) masonry tower. No photo available; Google has a very distant satellite view of the point. The navigational light was shown from a skeletal tower from 1965 to 2002, but the skeletal tower was demolished in 2003. Today a 123 m (403 ft) skeletal tower carries aviation beacons (white flashes every 1.5 s) at focal planes of 128 and 68 m (420 and 223 ft). Located at the easternmost point of Île d'Anticosti. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Environnement Québec. Site manager: Pointe Heath Ecological Reserve. ARLHS CAN-986; ex-CCG 1513.1; NGA 3130.
Escarpement Bagot (Bagot Bluff) (2)
1912 (station established 1871). Inactive since 1980. Pyramidal concrete tower with flying buttresses; lantern removed. Active light on a 15 m (50 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower (focal plane 19.5 m (64 ft); white flash every 6 s). Keeper's houses demolished in 1989. Charlie Drody has a 2008 photo, but Google has only a very distant satellite view. The original lighthouse was a hexagonal wood tower. Located near Pointe du Sud on the southeast coast of Île d'Anticosti. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-172; CCG 1514; Admiralty H1864; NGA 3132.
Pointe du Sud-Ouest (Southwest Point) (1)
1831. Inactive since 1959. 24 m (80 ft) stone tower, formerly with lantern and gallery and painted white with two horizontal red bands. The abandoned lighthouse is falling quickly into ruins; Anderson's photos show that the top of the tower has collapsed, dropping the lantern to the ground. Marc Serre's 2008 photo is at right, an October 2006 closeup photo showed the poor condition of the lighthouse at that time, Franco Velo has a 2010 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. The active light is on a 15 m (50 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower (focal plane 21 m (68 ft); white flash every 6 s) built in 1972. Located on the point, in the middle of the south side of Île d'Anticosti. Accessible only by boat. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-398; CCG 1515; Admiralty H1866; NGA 3136.
Pointe du Sud-Ouest
Pointe du Sud-Ouest Light, Île d'Anticosti, August 2008
Flickr photo copyright Marc Serre; used by permission

* Baie Ellis Range Front
1906. Inactive since about 1986. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with gallery, painted white. The tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. The active light is on a 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower displaying a continuous green light only on the range line (focal plane 12 m (40 ft)). The abandoned tower is rusting and clearly endangered. Prefabricated by Sauter & Harle, this lighthouse is a typical French tourelle, one of only a few such towers surviving in North America. Both towers were relocated in 1927 due to a change in the channel alignment. The lantern of this light was moved to the rear lighthouse (next entry) in 1989. Located at Port-Menier, the island's only protected anchorage. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS CAN-958; CCG 1519; Admiralty H1870; NGA 3144.
* Baie Ellis Range Rear
1906. Inactive since about 1986. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Lighthouse Explorer has a good closeup photo by Katherine McIntyre, but the tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. The active light is on a 15 m (50 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower displaying a continuous green light only on the range line (focal plane 26 m (86 ft)). The abandoned tower is rusting and clearly endangered. Prefabricated by Sauter & Harle, this lighthouse is a typical French tourelle, one of only a few such towers surviving in North America. Both towers were relocated in 1927 due to a change in the channel alignment. The lighthouse was taken down, repaired, and placed on a new foundation in 1989, but its lantern was damaged in the process. The lantern from the front light was then placed on the refurbished tower. Located at Port-Menier, the island's only protected anchorage. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS CAN-959; CCG 1520; Admiralty H1870.1; NGA 3148.
* [Pointe de l'Ouest (West Point) (1)]
1858. Inactive since 1967. Ruins of a 34 m (112 ft) stone tower. A historic photo of the tower is available, and Goupil has a photo of the ruins.
* Pointe de l'Ouest (West Point) (2)
1967. Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (60 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery. Two 1-story wood keeper's cottages (1950s) survive and are available for vacation rental. René Bourque has a good photo of the station, Goupil has a photo of the light and also a photo of the keeper's cottage, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Located at the westernmost point of the island; accessible by road from Port-Menier. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Auberge de la Pointe-Ouest. ARLHS CAN-525; CCG 1523; Admiralty H1878; NGA 3160.
* Cap de Rabast (Pointe-Nord)
1919. Active; focal plane 24 m (78 ft); three white flashes, separated by 5 s, every 30 s. 22 m (72 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. 2-story wood duplex keeper's house. A 2008 view is available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Gerard Barriault has a page on the history of the station, where his father was once the keeper. The keeper's house is managed by Pourvoire Lac Geneviéve d'Anticosti and is available for vacation rental. Located on the northernmost point of the island about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Port-Menier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-084; CCG 1602; Admiralty H1882; NGA 3164.
* Pointe Carleton
1919. Active; focal plane 38.5 m (126 ft); green flash every 6 s. 12 m (40 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. 2-story wood keeper's quarters. A Parcs Québec photo is at right, Goupil has a good photo (also with a deer), Gerard Barriault has another photo, a good closeup is available, and Google has a good satellite view. The keeper's houses were formerly available for vacation rentals, but they have been abandoned since 2006. Located in the middle of the north coast of the island; accessible by road from Port-Menier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-395; CCG 1601; Admiralty H1884; NGA 3168.
** Cap de la Table (Table Head)
1919. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); red flash every 6 s. 12 m (40 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Two 2-story wood keeper's houses (1960) were demolished in 2011. Bing has a partly clouded satellite view. The light station is used by a tour company to provide overnight accommodations for tourists. Located on the northeast coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Safari Anticosti. ARLHS CAN-082; CCG 1600; Admiralty H1886; NGA 3172.
Pointe Carleton LightPointe Carleton Light, Île d'Anticosti, September 2004
Flickr
photo by Parcs Québec

Minganie Municipality: Natashquan and Mingan Archipelago Lighthouses
Note: The Mingan Archipelago (Archipel-de-Mingan) is a chain of ragged, mostly small islands extending for 175 km (110 mi) along the north coast of the St. Lawrence estuary across from the Île d'Anticosti. The islands are included in the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve and are administered as part of the Minganie Regional County Municipality.
[Île Joncas (Petite Natashquan) (2)]
1969 (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 13.5 m (44 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 9.5 m (31 ft) square skeletal tower. This light replaced a 10 m (33 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery that was swept away in a winter storm in 1969. A 2004 photo does not show the light, but it does show a small service building seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the southeast end of a small island in the entrance to the harbor of Natashquan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1141; CCG 1576; Admiralty H1914; NGA 3008.
Petite Île au Marteau (2)
1955 (station established 1915). Inactive since about 1976. 11.5 m (38 ft) octagonal concrete (?) tower, painted white; lantern is red. Goupil has a closeup and a photo of the station, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. In 2005 Parks Canada allocated $125,000 to begin restoration of the two Mingan Archipelago lighthouses. Eventually some $2 million was spent on restoration and site improvements, including expanded wharf and visitor facilities. The project was completed in October 2010. Located on an island a few miles southeast of Havre-St.-Pierre. Island accessible only by boat; transportation is available in Havre-St.-Pierre, and a hiking trail leads to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve. ARLHS CAN-375.
Petite Île au Marteau (2)
1976 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 28.5 m (94 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. 25.5 m (84 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower. Goupil has a photo of the station. Located near the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve. CCG 1585; Admiralty H1934; NGA 3048.
Île aux Perroquets (2)
1951 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. A photo is at right, Jean-Sebastien Chouinard has a 2008 closeup photo, a closeup is available, Jean-François Petit has a photo of the station, and Google has a satellite view of the station. A historic photo of the 1888 lighthouse is also available. In 2005 Parks Canada allocated $125,000 to begin restoration of the two Mingan Archipelago lighthouses. In 2014, this became the first Québec lighthouse to receive the heritage designation. Also in 2014, the lighthouse was transferred to the Corporation de l'Île aux Perroquets, which opened the keeper's house for overnight stays. Located on an island off the north shore near Longue-Pointe, west of Mingan. Accessible only by boat; ecotours of the area are available. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve. ARLHS CAN-236; CCG 1608; Admiralty H1958; NGA 3124.

Sept-Rivières Municipality Lighthouses
Île du Corossol (Carousel Island, Sept-Îles) (2)
1953 (station established 1876). Inactive since 1988. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal concrete (?) tower, painted white; lantern is red. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house and other buildings. A photo is at the bottom of this page, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located on an island off the entrance to Sept-Îles. Accessible only by boat; boat tours out of Sept-Îles sometimes pass the site. Site and tower closed (important bird nesting area). Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Canadian Wildlife Service (Île du Corossol Migratory Bird Sanctuary). ARLHS CAN-239.
Île aux Perroquets Light
Île aux Perroquets Light, Mingan, 2013
Parks Canada photo
Île du Corossol (Carousel Island, Sept-Îles) (3)
1988 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane unknown; white flash every 2.5 s. 18 m (60 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. A photo is at the bottom of this page. Located near the historic lighthouse. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 1658; Admiralty H1990; NGA 3196.
Île du Grand Caouis (Great Cawee Island) (2)
1955 (station established 1927). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete (?) tower, painted white; lantern is red. Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house was demolished after the station was automated in 1970; foundation ruins remain. Located on an island off the north shore about 50 km (30 mi) south of Port-Cartier. Accessible only by boat. Site status uncertain. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-240; CCG 1686; Admiralty H2010; NGA 3280.
Île aux Oeufs (Egg Island) (2)
1955 (station established 1871). Inactive since 2003. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Keeper's house demolished in the 1970s. Bing has a satellite view of the station. According to Robert Giroux of the Canadian Coast Guard, this lighthouse was deactivated in October 2003 but there are no plans to demolish it. It is still listed by NGA. Located on an island off Port-Cartier. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-235; ex-Admiralty H2018; NGA 3284.

Manicouagan Municipality Lighthouse
**** Pointe des Monts
1830. Inactive since 2000. 27.5 m (90 ft) round stone tower with a small square lantern room perched on a platform-like gallery. Lighthouse painted white with two broad red horizontal bands; lantern is also red. 1-1/2 story keeper's house and several other light station buildings. Mark Plummer's photo is at right, Anderson has a good page with several photos, Fred Lefebvre has another good photo, a nice 2007 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a good satellite view. This magnificent lighthouse is one of Canada's oldest and most famous. The 7 floors of the tower are a museum; the keeper's house is operated as a restaurant. There is a bed and breakfast inn as well as cottages and camping facilities on site. The lighthouse was saved from demolition in 1964 by Jacques Landry and his wife, the final keepers; it was transferred to the government of Québec in 1965. The area is accessible via QC 138 from Québec city or by ferry from Matane on the south shore. Located about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Baie Trinité off QC 138. Accessible by a footbridge about 45 m (150 ft) long. Site open; tower open daily early June to mid September. Owner: Québec Ministère de la Culture et des Communication. Site manager: Gîte du Phare de Pointe-des-Monts. ARLHS CAN-396; Admiralty H2024.
Phare de Pointe Des Monts
Pointe des Monts Light, Baie Trinité, October 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mark Plummer

La-Haute-Côte-Nord (Upper North Coast) Municipality Lighthouse
*** Bon Désir (2)
1957 (station established 1941). Active; focal plane 44.5 m (146 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Goupil has a photo, another good photo is available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. This readily accessible light station is also a popular site for whale watching. Gift shop and ample parking provided. Located at the end of the Chemin du Cap-Bon-Désir, off QC 138 about 3 km (2 mi) east of Grandes-Bergeronnes. Site open, interpretive center open daily mid June through mid October, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Parc Marin du Saguenay-St. Laurent (Centre d'Interprétation et d'Observation de Cap-de-Bon-Désir). ARLHS CAN-080; CCG 1755; Admiralty H2093; NGA 3396.
Île Rouge (Red Islet)
1848. Active; focal plane 20 m (65 ft); white flash every 10 s. 19.5 m (64 ft), 4-story round cylindrical limestone tower incorporating keeper's quarters, unpainted; lantern is red. Caroline Robert's photo is at right, and the Coast Guard has a photo taken about 1990, but the island is barely visible in Google's satellite view. This was one of the last staffed stations on the St. Lawrence, automated in 1988. For a number of years the station was available for vacation rental, but it has been abandoned since the late 1990s. Located on an island in the middle of the St. Lawrence off Tadoussac and the mouth of the Rivière Saguenay. Accessible only by boat; visible from whale-watching tours out of Tadoussac. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-245; CCG 1770; Admiralty H2104; NGA 3432.
Haut-fond Prince (Prince Shoal)
1964 (lightship station established 1905). Active; focal plane 25 m (83 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. Approx. 14 m (45 ft) round cylindrical steel (?) tower rising from 1-story circular keeper's house, all mounted on a vase-shaped caisson. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern and keeper's house painted white. Fog horn (blast every 20 s) sounds only on radio command from passing vessels. A photo is at the top of this page, Blake Maybank has a nice 2010 photo, Tom Duryea also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Built at Champlain Drydock in Lévis, opposite Québec city, this modern structure replaced a lightship in marking the shoal at the entrance to the Rivière Saguenay off Tadoussac. Located in the St. Lawrence at the mouth of the Saguenay. Accessible only by boat; visible from whale-watching tours out of Tadoussac. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-223; CCG 1773; Admiralty H2106; NGA 3436.
Île Rouge Light
Île Rouge Light, Tadoussac, August 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Caroline Robert

Saguenay - Lac-St.-Jean Region Lighthouse

Le Fjord-du-Saguenay (Saguenay River) Lighthouse
Note: The lower Saguenay River is a deep fjord; tides penetrate as far upriver as Chicoutimi, about 100 km (60 mi) from the mouth. Only one of the lighthouses built to guide navigation on the Saguenay survives; Anderson's page has notes on some of the others.
Cap de l'Est
1909. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (27 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape on the the north side of the Saguenay in the parish municipality of Sainte-Rose-du-Nord, off QC 172 about 40 km (25 mi) east of Chicoutimi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-963; CCG 1798; Admiralty H2142; NGA 3532.

Capitale-Nationale Region Lighthouse

Charlevoix-Est Municipality Lighthouses
Cap de la Tête au Chien
1909. Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 11 m (37 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with a large circular lantern; tower painted white, lantern red. Goupil has a good photo, but the station is hard to see in Google's distant satellite view. Located atop a bluff in Baie-des-Rochers, north of Saint-Siméon. Inaccessible, though visible distantly from QC 138 and from ferries between Saint-Siméon and Rivière-du-Loup. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-083; CCG 1834; Admiralty H2166; NGA 3652.
Cap au Saumon
1894. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal pyramidal tower, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. 1-1/2 story keeper's house and other buildings. Samuel Bouchard's photo is at right, Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse, and Michel Desmeules has a view from the river, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. In 2003 the station was leased to Peter Noreau, who formed the private Corporation du Phare de Cap-au-Saumon to restore the keeper's house and other buildings. Located on the cape about 5 miles south of Saint-Siméon. Difficult to reach from the land due to the steep slope, but Noreau has opened a trail for hikers. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-078; CCG 1836; Admiralty H2182; NGA 3660.

Charlevoix Municipality Lighthouses
* [Cap aux Oies (Goose Cape) (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 6 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. Christian Veillet has a photo that also shows the foundation pads of the earlier lighthouse, and a closeup is available, but the slender tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view. An inn with a restaurant and overnight accommodations is close to the light station. Located on a cape about 10 km (6 mi) east of Les Éboulements. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-079; CCG 1849; Admiralty H2202; NGA 3680.
Pointe de la Prairie (2)
1972 (station established 1931). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 17 m (55 ft) tall: short round cylindrical steel tower with lantern topped by a helipad, all mounted on a conical concrete base. Tom Duryea has a good photo, a winter photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The crumbling base of the lighthouse was repaired in 2004. Located on a tiny islet just off the Île aux Coudres opposite Baie Saint-Paul. Visible distantly from the Île aux Coudres ferry and more closely from the end of the Chemin des Prairies (an unpaved bicycle path) on the island. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-234; CCG 1851; Admiralty H2208; NGA 3700.
Banc du Cap Brûlé Upstream Range Rear (2)
1965 (station established 1931). Active; focal plane 29 m (96 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 20 m (65 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted with orange and white horizontal bands, mounted at the edge of a circular pier. The pier, painted orange, also carries 1-story keeper's house with a helipad on the roof, plus the Downstream Range Front Light on a 9 m (29 ft) rectangular tower. Martin Magnan has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the river off Cap Brulé, which is on the north bank about 18 km (11 mi) northeast of Beaupré. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1138; CCG 1901; Admiralty H2262.1; NGA 3780.
Phare de Cap au Saumon
Cap au Saumon Light, Saint-Siméon, October 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Samuel Bouchard
Banc du Cap Brûlé Downstream Range Rear (2)
1965 (station established 1931). Active; focal plane 23 m (76 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 17 m (55 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted white with an orange band at the top, mounted at the edge of a circular pier. The pier, painted orange, also carries a helipad and a small equipment building, plus the Upstream Range Front Light on a 9 m (29 ft) rectangular tower, painted white. A 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the river off Cap Brulé, which is on the north bank about 18 km (11 mi) northeast of Beaupré. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1004; CCG 1899; Admiralty H2261.1; NGA 3752.

Portneuf Municipality Lighthouses
Île Richelieu (2)
1971 (station established 1816). Active; focal plane 6 m (19 ft); continuous green light shone to the northeast for upstream traffic, continuous yellow light shown to the southwest for downstream traffic. 6 m (19 ft) conical concrete block tower topped by an open lantern-like structure. Anderson has photos, Simon Roy has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is one of the oldest light stations on the St. Lawrence, but the island on which it was built has almost entirely washed away. The original lighthouse, a 12 m (35 ft) octagonal stone tower, was demolished in 1971. Located on the north side of the island off Deschambault, opposite Lotbinière. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1105; CCG 2001.8; Admiralty H2349; NGA 4244.
* Pointe des Grondines Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 33 m (108 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. The tower carries a slatted fluorescent orange daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Serge Marcouiller has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos (incorrectly identified as the front light), and Google has a good satellite view. This is a downstream range. There was an earlier Grondines range (1874-1904), but it's not clear if the lights were at the same location. Located at the marina on the Chemin des Ancêtres south of Grondines, on the north side of the river opposite Leclercville. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-954; CCG 2024; Admiralty H2362.1; NGA 4344.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Île du Corossol Light
Île du Corossol Light, Sept-Îles, around 1990
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • La Baie, Sagueynay. Apparently built by a homeowner, this lighthouse is easily seen by eastbound traffic on QC 170 leaving La Baie. For westbound traffic, there's a good view from a turnout just past the Chemin St. Charles about 10 km (6 mi) east of La Baie. Google has a satellite view.

Adjoining pages: North: Labrador | East: Northwestern Newfoundland | South: Southeastern Québec | West: Southwestern Québec

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 12, 2003. Checked and revised November 19, 2013. Lighthouses: 31. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.