Lighthouses of Canada: Southern Québec

This page covers lighthouses of southern Québec: the part of the Canadian province upstream from the city of Québec and south of the St. Lawrence River. The St. Lawrence is one of the world's greatest inland waterways: ocean-going ships sail the river to Montréal, and many continue on the St. Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes.

The lighthouses of southern Québec are certainly among the least well known of all Canadian lighthouses. In fact, many of them don't seem to have been known at all until recent years. Special thanks are due to Michel Forand for his help in compiling these listings; without his careful research the Internet would have little information on many of the range lighthouses of the middle St. Lawrence.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses. This fear is particularly acute along the St. Lawrence, where the small lighthouses do not enjoy the support of local preservation groups. In fact, dozens of lighthouses have already been lost in this region.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast portion of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada for most lighthouses, and from the Inland Waters list for lights in and west of Montréal. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Quebec, Canada Lighthouses
Photos and text, including travel directions, by Kraig Anderson.
Lighthouses in Quebec, Canada
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Quebec
Photos of Québec lighthouses posted by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Quebec
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Canada: Québec
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Île Sainte-Thérèse Range Front Light
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Front Light, Varennes, September 2011
photo copyright Jon Clay; used by permission

Montérégie Region Lighthouses

Longueuil City Lighthouses
Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal point 14 m (46 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only on the range line. 9 m (30 ft) round unpainted steel tower with lantern and gallery. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The original Longue Pointe Traverse Range Lights were on the west side of the river in Montréal; they guided vessels proceeding downstream. Sometime between 1977 and 1994 those lights were discontinued and new lights were placed at the opposite end of the range to guide vessels proceeding upstream. Located at the riverbank in Longueuil opposite the southern tip of Île Verte. Site status unknown; in the winter the light can be seen from the Autoroute 20 (René Lévesque) freeway. CCG 2361; Admiralty H2497; NGA 5564.
Longue Pointe Traverse Upstream Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal point 20.5 m (67 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only on the range line. 13 m (43 ft) round unpainted steel tower with lantern and gallery. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside the Autoroute 20 (René Lévesque) freeway 190 m (625 ft) south of the front light. Site status unknown, probably open; tower closed. CCG 2362; Admiralty H2497.1; NGA 5568.

Marguerite-D'Youville Municipality (Contrecoeur-Verchères Area) Lighthouses
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Front (4)
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower painted white; there is a daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe between the two galleries. The lantern is gray metallic. Jon Clay contributed the photo above, and Google has a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the second lighthouse, built in 1924. This range guides vessels downstream leaving Montréal. The range towers were relocated in 1884. Located on the east bank of the Île aux Vaches, a smaller island southeast of the Île Sainte-Thérèse, in Varennes. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the boat ramp in Varennes. Site status unknown. CCG 2346; Admiralty H2490; NGA 5512.
Île Sainte-Thérèse Upper Range Rear (4)
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); continuous green light. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal mast mounted on a robust pentagonal concrete pier. Tower painted white, carrying a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. The pier has a pointed end to break up ice floes. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. Located just off the east bank of the Île Sainte-Thérèse in Varennes. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the boat ramp in Varennes. Site status unknown. CCG 2347; Admiralty H2490.1; NGA 5516.
[Île Sainte-Thérèse Lower Range Front (4?)]
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous green light. 4 m (13 ft) post carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Google has a distant satellite view. A square wood tower, built in 1889, was replaced by a second wood tower in 1924. There is a historic photo of this light. Located on the east side of Île Sainte-Thérèse opposite Varennes. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CCG 2335;
[Île Sainte-Thérèse Lower Range Rear (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 9.5 m (31 ft) post carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo of the modern light available. Google has a distant satellite view. The historic photo of the front light shows the previous rear light in the distance. Located on the east side of Île Sainte-Thérèse opposite Varennes. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CCG 2336; Admiralty H2484.1; NGA 5452.
Verchères Village Range Rear
1902. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous green light. 20 m (66 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Larry Myhre's photo is at the bottom of this page, Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located on the southwest side of Verchères, off QC 132 near the Rue de St.-Alexandre, about 635 m (0.4 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from the foot of the Rue de l'Aqueduc. CCG 2320; Admiralty H2476.1; NGA 5356.
* Verchères Village Range Front (2)
1929 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (32 ft); continuous green light. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower with square wooden lantern. Tower painted white; roof and front face of lantern painted red. The tower also carries a slatted trapezoidal daymark, painted red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bash's photo is at right, Luc Bussieres has a photo, Larry Myhre has a view from the river, another photo is available, Forand has a historic photo, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located on the east breakwater at Verchères, on the southeast side of the river about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Montréal. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1206; CCG 2319; Admiralty H2476; NGA 5352.
[Verchères Traverse Range Front (4)]
1967 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 12.5 m (41 ft) post carrying an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. Lighthouse Explorer also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original front light was replaced in 1909. In 1946 it was moved to the windmill that had carried the rear light. Located at the river's edge about 3 km (1.8 mi) northeast of Verchères. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1342; CCG 2317; Admiralty H2478; NGA 5364.
* Verchères Traverse Range Rear (4)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous green light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The light was originally placed atop the round tower of a former windmill; Forand has a closeup historic photo. In 1946 the front light was moved to the windmill and a skeletal tower was built for the rear light. This was replaced by a tall mast, seen on the Lighthouse Explorer page, in 1972. Located beside QC 132 about 500 m (0.3 mi) northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1343; CCG 2318; Admiralty H2478.1; NGA 5368.
Verchères Village Range Front Right
Verchères Village Range Front Light, Verchères, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
Contrecoeur Traverse Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous green light. 22.5 m (74 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a satellite view. Forand has a historic photo of the original rear light and also a historic photo of the original front lighthouse. Located in the Contrecoeur Marine Terminal, a bulk materials port on the south side of the river about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Contrecoeur and 1725 m (1.07 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (industrial area). Site manager: Logistec Corporation. CCG 2313; Admiralty H2470.1; NGA 5304.
[Contrecoeur Traverse Range Rear]
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 11.5 m (38 ft) round cylindrical tower carrying an orange daymark with a black vertical stripe. Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the Contrecoeur Marine Terminal. Site and tower closed (industrial area). Site manager: Logistec Corporation. CCG 2312; Admiralty H2470; NGA 5300.
Contrecoeur-Verchères Range Front (2)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 10 m (31 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. The tower also carries an inverted-triangular slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a closeup photo, and Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo and Forand has a postcard view of the original light, which was mounted on the same pier. Located on a marshy island in the Îles de Contrecoeur National Wildlife Area northwest of Contrecoeur. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-965; CCG 2315; Admiralty H2472; NGA 5308.
Contrecoeur-Verchères Range Rear
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off; a continuous green light is shown on the range line. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. Located on the south bank of the river near Île Ronde, 1725 m (1.07 mi) northeast of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Îles de Contrecoeur National Wildlife Area. Site open, tower closed. CCG 2316; Admiralty H2472.1; NGA 5312.
Route Île-Saint-Ours Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); continuous green light. 18.5 m (61 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a slatted trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. Located on the east side of QC 132 at Rue des Peupliers, a short distantance north of Contrecoeur. Site and tower closed (private property) but the tower can be seen from the highway. ARLHS CAN-1108; CCG 2283; Admiralty H2452.1; NGA 5176.
[Route Île-Saint-Ours Range Front (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on private property west of QC 132 about 670 m (0.42 mi) north of the rear light. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1108; CCG 2282; Admiralty H2452; NGA 5172.
[Petite Traverse Range Front (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical white tower carrying a slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, a square pyramidal wood tower. Located on the riverbank about 800 m (1/2 mi) south of Montée St.-Roch. Site and tower closed (private property). CCG 2288; Admiralty H2454; NGA 5192.
Petite Traverse Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 32 m (108 ft); continuous green light. 20.5 m (67 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has an indistinct satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion. Located in a forest east of QC 132, 517 m (1/3 mi) northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). CCG 2289; Admiralty H2454.1; NGA 5196.
Route de Contrecoeur (Contrecoeur Course) Range Front (1)
1903. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof is red. Michael Boucher's photo is at right. Michael Boucher's photo is at right, a tree hides all but the base of the tower in Google's street view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The light has been replaced by a light on a 17.5 m (57 ft) square skeletal mast (focal plane 26 m (85 ft); continuous yellow light). Located on the east side of the river off QC 132 about 600 m (3/8 mi) north of Montée St.-Roch. Site and tower closed (private property) but the light can be seen from nearby. ARLHS CAN-965; CCG 2290; Admiralty H2458; NGA 5224.
Route de Contrecoeur Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); continuous yellow light. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a trapezoidal daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a distant street view, but shadows hide the tower in Google's satellite view. Located east of QC 132 about 770 m (0.48 mi) north of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property) but the light can be seen distantly from the highway. CCG 2291; Admiralty H2458.1; NGA 5228.
Route de Contrecoeur Range Front Light
Route de Contrecoeur Range Front Light, October 2014
photo copyright Michael Boucher; used by permission

Le-Haut-Richelieu Municipality (Richelieu River) Lighthouse
Note: The Richelieu River drains Lake Champlain and serves as part of an international waterway connecting the St. Lawrence to the Hudson River in New York. There were formerly a series of lighthouses along the river, but none are active today, and the following lighthouse is the only known survivor. The Richelieu flows into the St. Lawrence at Sorel-Tracy.
Ash Island (Île Ash, Île aux Têtes) Range Front (2)
1913 (station established 1875). Inactive since 2005. 13.5 m (44 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; lantern roof is red. Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square wooden tower attached to a keeper's house. This was a northbound (downstream) range guiding vessels in the northernmost end of Lake Champlain as they approached Ash Island, a large island in the river at Lacolle. The rear light, 665 m (0.4 mi) north, would have been close to the present QC 202 bridge; it does not appear to have survived. Located on the south bank of the island, about 400 m (1/4 mi) south of the Lacolle railroad bridge and 5 km (3 mi) north of the U.S. border. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-866.

Pierre-De Saurel Municipality (Sorel-Tracy Area) Lighthouses
Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range Rear (2)
Around 2010 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. Until recently this was a 24 m (79 ft) skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion, lantern and gallery. In fact, the CCG light list still has that description, but Anderson's photo shows that the lighthouse has been replaced by a skeletal mast with gallery. The tower carries a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river 770 m (0.48 mi) southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed, but the light can be viewed from a nearby church. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1270; CCG 2178; Admiralty H2422.1; NGA 5076.
Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range Front
1905. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (2 s on, 2 s off). 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The front (downstream) face of the tower is painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a 1997 Coast Guard photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south bank of the river just off the Chemin du Chenal du Moine in Ste.-Anne-de-Sorel, just northeast of Sorel. Site and tower closed (surrounded by private residences). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1269; CCG 2177; Admiralty H2422; NGA 5072.
Île de Grâce Range Front (2)
1928 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (1 s on, 1 s off). 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The front (downstream) face of the tower is painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a 1991 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. The range lights replaced a single lighthouse built on the Île de Grâce in 1871. Anderson has a historic photo of the first front light, which was built on a concrete pier in the river. Located at the upper (southwest) end of the island, at the upper end of the Lac St.-Pierre basin about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1295; CCG 2175; Admiralty H2426; NGA 5104.
Île de Grâce Range Rear
1905. Active; focal plane 22 m (73 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a green passing light (1 s on, 1 s off). 16.5 m (54 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room, mounted on a pentagonal concrete pier. Tower painted black, watch room white, lantern red; the front face of the watch room is red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located about 600 m (0.4 mi) east northeast of the front range (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1296; CCG 2176; Admiralty H2426.1; NGA 5108.
Île du Moine Range Front
1906. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 5 m (18 ft) square wood tower mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Luc Delorme's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has a photo showing both range lights, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. Located at the southwestern tip of Île du Moine about 7 km (4.5 mi) east northeast of Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat, but there's a distant view from a nearby boat ramp. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1101; CCG 2180; Admiralty H2424; NGA 5047.
Île du Moine Range Rear (2)
Date unknown (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 27.5 m (90 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 18.5 m (57 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a prow-shaped pentagonal concrete pier. The front of the tower carries a large rectangular daymark, painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the southwestern tip of Île du Moine, 490 m (0.3 mi) east of the front light (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1102; CCG 2181; Admiralty H2424.1; NGA 5048.
Île du Moine Range Front Light
Île du Moine Range Front Light, Sorel, August 2010
photo copyright Luc Delorme; used by permission
Île des Barques Range Rear (3)
2011 (?) (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. Until recently this was a 20 m (66 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white, but Anderson's photo shows that the current light is on a skeletal mast with gallery. The tower also carries a trapezoidal slatted daymark, painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Marinas.com has aerial photos of the previous light, and Google has a satellite view. Located 480 m (0.3 mi) southwest of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1098; CCG 2169; Admiralty H2416.1; NGA 5046.
Île des Barques Range Front
1907. Active; focal plane 11.5 m (37 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 5 m (18 ft) square wood tower mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. Located on an island near the southwestern end of the Lac St.-Pierre basin about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1097; CCG 2166; Admiralty H2416; NGA 5044.
[Île aux Raisins Range Front (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1843). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) post carrying a daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. A view of the range from the river is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The original light, described as an "open-frame" tower, was replaced in 1907 by a square wood tower. Located on the Île aux Raisins, a marshy area on the south side of the river about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of the Île des Barques. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1092; CCG 2168; Admiralty H2414; NGA 5028.
Île aux Raisins Range Rear (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line, and also a white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 23.5 m (77 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. A view of the range from the river is available, but the tower is not seen clearly in Google's satellite view. The first rear light was replacd in 1903 by a 26 m (85 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. Located about 575 m (0.36 mi) south of the front light. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Admiralty H2414.1; NGA 5032.
Gallia Bay Lower Range Rear
1907. Inactive since the 1960s. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical steel tower centered on a square concrete pier. Bing has a satellite view. The front light, formerly mounted on a concrete pier, has been removed. The lighthouse is deteriorating and endangered. Located on the south side of Île Lapierre about 7 km (4.5 mi) northeast of Ste.-Anne-de-Sorel. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1006.
Courbe Maskinongé (Maskinongé Curve)
1973. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 14 m (46 ft) cylindrical tower with double gallery but no lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Gilles Arthur has a closeup photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Previously there was a helipad atop the light, as seen in a 2000 photo. Located on the south side of the channel at a bend in the middle of Lac St.-Pierre southeast of Louiseville. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1263; CCG 2153.3; Admiralty H2411; NGA 4988.

Centre-du-Québec Region Lighthouses

Nicolet-Yamaska Municipality Lighthouses
Nicolet Sector (Range Front) (2)
1938 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 9 m (29 ft); white or green light, 1 s on, 1 s off; white light is shown to the east and green to the west. 9 m (29 ft) trapezoidal cylindrical concrete tower with octagonal lantern; lantern painted with red and white vertical stripes. The upstream side of the light has a sharp "prow" to break ice floes. Sylvain Pichette's photo is at right, a closeup and another closeup photo are available, Lighthouse Explorer has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Formerly this was the Nicolet Range Front Light, but the rear light of the range was discontinued in 1970. The McCord Museum in Montréal has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. Located on an islet in the river at the east end of the Lac St.-Pierre basin north of Nicolet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1264; CCG 2119.5; Admiralty H2400; NGA 4748.
* Port-Saint-François Range Front (2)
1906 (station established 1849). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 11 m (36 ft) lantern centered on a huge square pyramidal concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof painted red, and the front of the lighthouse is also painted red with a black vertical stripe. Jeff Presnail has a photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. Located just offshore at Port-Saint-François. Accessible only by boat, but easily seen from shore. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1265; CCG 2112; Admiralty H2398; NGA 4732.
Port-Saint-François Range Rear (4?)
1906 (station established 1860s). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room. Tower painted black, watch room white, lantern red; the front face of the watch room is red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of Rue Duval on the south side of the river at Port-Saint-François, about 8 km (5 mi) north of Nicolet and 1370 m (0.85 mi) northeast of the front light. Site status unknown (very possibly open), tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1266; CCG 2113; Admiralty H2398.1; NGA 4736.
Nicolet Sector Light
Nicolet Sector Light, Nicolet, August 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Sylvain Pichette; used by permission

Bécancour Municipality Lighthouses
Bécancour Range Rear (2?)
2009 (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 17 m (55 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The front of the tower also carries an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. This modern light replaced a square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room. Lighthouse Explorer has a photo of the previous light, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a concrete pier just off the south bank of the river about 1.8 km (1.1 mi) west of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1175; CCG 2074; Admiralty H2384.1; NGA 4592.
Bécancour Range Front (2)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 6.5 m (21 ft) square pyramidal concrete pier topped by an enclosed lantern and gallery; lantern roof painted red. The front of the tower also carries an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a 1996 photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. This is an upstream range. The light was originally shown from a hexagonal lantern, and it is not known when the present lantern was installed. Located on the west side of the mouth of the Rivière Bécancour about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Trois-Rivières. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-873; CCG 2073; Admiralty H2384; NGA 4588.
Gentilly Range Rear (3)
2010 (?) (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 31 m (103 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 24 m (79 ft) slender square steel skeletal tower. The tower carries a slatted trapezoidal daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. The previous light was a 23 m (75 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed watch room. Lighthouse Explorer has a photo of the previous light, and Google has a distant street view of the new light and a satellite view (as of January 2015) of the old one. Located in a field just north of Bécancour on the south shore of the river. Site status unknown (apparently open). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1261; CCG 2051; Admiralty H2370.1; NGA 4476.
Gentilly Range Front (2)
1920 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 6 m (19 ft) square wood tower with lantern mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. The original light was replaced after being shoved out of position by ice floes. Located in the river north of Gentilly, about 20 km (13 mi) northeast of Trois-Rivières; should be visible from the south shore in the Gentilly area. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-952; CCG 2050; Admiralty H2370; NGA 4472.
* Calvaire Range Front (1) (Deschaillons)
1915. Inactive since the 1980s. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. A photo is at right, Bash has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has two photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Although the history of this lighthouse is not well known, it seems very likely that it has been relocated from the Calvaire Range (next entries). Anderson has a historic photo of the lighthouse on station, and Forand also has a historic photo. In late 2013 the Deschaillons municipal council voted to spend $35,000 to restore the lighthouse. Located at a roadside park on the south side of the St. Lawrence, beside highway QC 132, about 2 km (1.3 mi) west of Deschaillons-sur-St. Laurent. Site open, tower closed.
Calvaire Range Rear (3)
1994 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); continuous green light. 20.5 m (67 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Bing has a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse. This is an upstream range. Located on a farm 616 m (0.38 mi) southwest of the front light and about 1.6 km (1 mi) southeast of Deschaillons. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1114; CCG 2020; Admiralty H2356.1; NGA 4312.
* [Calvaire Range Front (2)]
1994 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); continuous green light. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Google has a street view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The Calvaire Range replaced the Cap Charles Range, which was a short distance to the east of the modern front light. The original lighthouse (see above) was relocated to Deschaillons after being replaced in the 1980s by a skeletal tower. Located on a farm 616 m (0.38 mi) southwest of the front light and about 1.6 km (1 mi) southeast of Deschaillons. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1114; CCG 2020; Admiralty H2356.1; NGA 4312.
Phare de Deschaillons
Calvaire Range Front Light, Deschaillons, June 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dana2255

Chaudière-Appalaches Region Lighthouses

Lotbinière Municipality Lighthouses
* [Leclercville (Sainte-Emmélie) Range Front (3)]
2002 (station established 1880). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. This is a downstream range. Anderson has a 1915 photo of the original lighthouse with the second lighthouse under construction. Located beside QC 132 about 2 km (1.2 mi) southwest of Leclercville. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1146; CCG 2015; Admiralty H2358; NGA 4316.
[Leclercville (Sainte-Emmélie) Range Rear (3)]
Around 2005 (station established 1880). Active; focal plane 57 m (186 ft); continuous green light. 11 m (36 ft) skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe. Bash has a photo of the present light, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Anderson has a 1915 photo of the original lighthouse with the second lighthouse, and Lighthouse Explorer also has a photo of the 1915 light. Located 1042 m (0.6 mi) east of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1147; CCG 2016; Admiralty H2358.1; NGA 4320.
* Lotbinière Range Rear (3)
1993 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft)); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This is an upstream range. The original light was on a short wood tower; this was replaced by a skeletal tower in the late 1940s. Located 868 m (0.54 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS CAN-1148; CCG 2007; Admiralty H2348.1; NGA 4232.
* [Lotbinière Range Front (2 and 3)]
2006 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 15 m (50 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 12.5 m (41 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a photo of the second (1920) lighthouse, a square skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed upper section. Anderson found the enclosed upper section of the historic tower sitting on the ground; this is also seen in Google's street view. Apparently it is in the possession of the property owner. As of April 2014, Bing's satellite view showed the historic tower, but Google has a street view showing the new one. Located on the south shore of the river west of Lotbinière, near the pier in the village of Vieille-Église. Site and tower closed, but the light can be seen from the Vieille-Église quay. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1149; CCG 2006; Admiralty H2348; NGA 4228.
Leclercville Range Front Light
Leclercville Range Front Light, Leclercville, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
Barre à Boulard Range Front (4)
1992 (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 52 m (170 ft); continuous white light. 18.5 m (61 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Google has a distant street view and an indistinct satellite view. The original front light was on an islet in the river, the location of the current Île Richelieu Light. In 1968 the front light was moved to the original (1903) rear light tower, a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion; Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo of that tower. Located atop a steep bluff about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Lotbinière. Site and tower closed (private property); there is a distant view from QC 132. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-869; CCG 2002; Admiralty H2350; NGA 4236.
Barre à Boulard Range Rear (4)
1992 (?) (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); continuous white light. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Google has a good street view and an indistinct satellite view. In 1968 the rear light was moved from the former front light tower; Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo of that tower, and Forand has a historic photo. Located beside QC 132 about 1043 m (0.6 mi) northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property), but there's a good view from the highway. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1393; CCG 2003; Admiralty H2350.1; NGA 4240.
* [Sainte-Croix (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1842). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 12.5 m (41 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a rectangular orange slatted daymark. Lighthouse Explorer has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse; we don't know when it was replaced. Located at 167 Rue du Bateau in Sainte-Croix. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1171; CCG 1988; Admiralty H2342; NGA 4148.
[Sainte-Croix Range Front (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); continuous white light. 7.5 m (25 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. No photo of the modern light is available, and Bing has only an indistinct satellite view. This is a downstream range. Anderson has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, and Forand has a second historic photo. Located atop a bluff about 3 km (1.8 mi) east of Sainte-Croix. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 1985; Admiralty H2340; NGA 4124.
Sainte-Croix Range Rear (3)
Date unknown (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); continuous light, white or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Google has a street view, and Bing has only an indistinct satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1935; Anderson has photos of the first, second, and modern lighthouses. Located on the north side of QC 132, about 500 m (0.3 mi) southeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from the highway. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1172; CCG 1986; Admiralty H2340.1; NGA 4128.
* Saint-Antoine Traverse (Downstream) Range Rear (1 and 2)
1993 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous green light. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Bash has a photo, Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. The enclosed upper portion of the 1902 lighthouse was saved by the landowner; it is seen in the Coast Guard photo and Anderson has Jon Clay's photo. Located 320 m (1050 ft) southwest of the front light and about 200 m (650 ft) south of the St. Antoine Course front light (next entry). Site status unknown, but the tower can be seen from nearby. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1249; CCG 1977; Admiralty H2336; NGA 4108.
* Saint-Antoine Course (Upstream) Range Front
1902. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The lighthouse carries a large triangular daymark, orange with a black vertical stripe, on its upstream face. Lighthouse Explorer has a Coast Guard photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a downstream range; the rear light is on the same tower as the St.-Antoine Traverse Range Front Light (next entry). Located at the end of Place des Phares, on the south side of the river off QC 132 west of Saint-Antoine de Tilly. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1247; CCG 1975; Admiralty H2336.1; NGA 4112.
* Saint-Antoine Traverse Range Front/Course Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green lights for both ranges. 16 m (52 ft) rectangular cylindrical skeletal tower. One side of the tower carries a large daymark for the St.-Antoine Course Range Rear Light, and the other a smaller daymark for the Traverse Range Front, both daymarks are orange with a black vertical stripe. Bash's photo is at right, and Google has a good street view and an indistinct satellite view. Located 250 m (820 ft) northeast of the St.-Antoine Course Front Light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1248; CCG 1976; Admiralty H2335.9; NGA 4104.
St. Antoine Common Range Light
St. Antoine Traverse Front/Course Rear Light, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash

Lévis City Lighthouses
Pointe à Basile Range Front (2)
1976 (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); continuous white light; also a red passing light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 38 m (125 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe. This is a downstream range guiding vessels approaching Québec City. Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 15 m (49 ft) square wood tower. Located on a promontory about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the Pierre Laporte Bridge. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-1293; CCG 1964; Admiralty H2330; NGA 4032.
Pointe à Basile Range Rear (3)
1976 (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 88 m (289 ft); continuous white light. 35 m (115 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. Google has a satellite view. The original light was replaced by a skeletal tower after it burned in 1904. Located on a ridge in a residential area above the end of the Rue des Sizerins. Site status unknown. ARLHS CAN-995; CCG 1965; Admiralty H2330.1; NGA 4036.

Note: Lighthouses of the Chaudière-Appalaches Region downstream from Québec City are described on the Eastern Québec page.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Verchères Village Range Rear Light
Verchères Village Range Rear Light, Verchères, May 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • Verchères Windmill, built around 1700, served as a signal station from 1909 to around 1940, but it was not an aid to navigation. F. Guertin has a closeup photo, Denyse Béchard also has a closeup, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Recognized as a historic building in 1983, the old windmill was restored in 1991. Located on the Rue St.-Étienne in Verchères.

Adjoining pages: North: Western Québec | Northeast: Northeastern Québec | East: Eastern Québec | South: Vermont | West: Southeastern Ontario

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 12, 2003. Checked and revised January 8, 2015. Lighthouses: 46. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.