Lighthouses of Canada: Western Québec

This page covers lighthouses of upper Québec: the part of the Canadian province near and upstream from the city of Québec and north of the St. Lawrence River, including the cities of Québec and Montréal. The St. Lawrence is one of the world's greatest inland waterways: ocean-going ships sail the river to Montréal, and many continue on the St. Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes.

The lighthouses of southwestern Québec are certainly among the least well known of all Canadian lighthouses. In fact, many of them don't seem to have been known at all until recent years. Special thanks are due to Michel Forand for his help in compiling these listings; without his careful research the Internet would have no information on many of the range lighthouses of the middle St. Lawrence.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses. This fear is particularly acute along the St. Lawrence, where the small lighthouses do not enjoy the support of local preservation groups. In fact, dozens of lighthouses have already been lost in this region.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast portion of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada for most lighthouses, and from the Inland Waters list for lights in and west of Montréal. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Quebec, Canada Lighthouses
Historical information, photos and travel directions, by Kraig Anderson.
Lighthouses in Quebec, Canada
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Quebec
Photos of Quebec lighthouses posted by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Quebec
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Atlantic Coast of Canada
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Phares du Québec
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Lachine Range Front Light
Lachine Range Front Light, Lachine, October 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jean Gagnon

Capitale-Nationale Region Lighthouses

Île d'Orléans Municipality Lighthouses
Note: Located on the north side of the St. Lawrence a short distance downstream from Québec City, the Île d'Orléans is 34 km (21 mi) long and 8 km (5 mi) wide. The island was one of the first places settled by the French in the 1660s, but it is thinly populated today, with a population of about 6700. It is accessible by bridge from Beaufort.
Pointe Argentenaye Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 35.5 m (116 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream toward Québec. The front light is on a small skeletal tower. Located off the Chemin Royal on the northeast coast of the island. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light is easily seen from the road. CCG 1910.6; Admiralty H2267.1; NGA 3802.
* [Saint-Jean d'Orléans (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 5 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a red slatted daymark. David Broad's photo is at right, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower; it was replaced in 1909 by a lantern atop a freight shed at the end of the wharf. Forand has a historic photo of the 1909 lighthouse, which was demolished in 1969. Located on the pier at Saint-Jean d'Orléans. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1135; CCG 1923; Admiralty H2282; NGA 3848.
* [Saint-Laurent d'Orléans (5?)]
2011 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 5 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) light mounted atop the steel frame structure of a ferry dock. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower; it was replaced in 1903 by a lantern atop a freight shed at the end of the wharf and then in 1914 by a square skeletal tower with an enclosed upper portion. Forand has a historic view of the 1914 lighthouse. This was replaced at some time by the skeletal mast seen in a 2007 photo by Paul Langlois. The ferry dock was built in 2011. Located on the pier at Saint-Laurent d'Orléans. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-998; CCG 1924; Admiralty H2284; NGA 3852.
* Sainte-Pétronille (Beaulieu, Pointe du Bout de l'Île) (3)
1957 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); yellow flash every 5 s. 14.5 m (46 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse is seen in a 1905 postcard view and a second postcard view, both posted by Forand. It was located on the extreme tip of the island and was destroyed by fire in the 1930s. It was replaced by a light on a shed on the wharf. The skeletal tower was built on the wharf in 1957 and then moved to the parking lot in 1983 when the wharf was demolished. Located in a restaurant parking lot at the southwestern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Auberge La Goéliche. ARLHS CAN-997; CCG 1927; Admiralty H2288; NGA 3876.
[Pointe Saint-Pierre Range Rear (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous green light. 12.5 m (41 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo, available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides eastbound vessels in the narrow channel north of the Île d'Orléans. The original lighthouse was a skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion. The front light was shown from a square wood tower, which was replaced by a second square wood tower in 1909; it is now shown from a short skeletal tower. Located on farmland on the north side of the island. Site and tower closed. CCG 1947; Admiralty H2300.1; NGA 3928.

Saint-Jean d'Orléans Light, Île d'Orléans, July 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by David Broad
[Saint-Famille Range Front (3)]
1992 (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous green light. 18.5 m (61 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo, available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides westbound vessels in the narrow channel north of the Île d'Orléans. The original light on a mast was replaced with a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion in 1907. Located in a forest off QC 368. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS CAN-1115; CCG 1941; Admiralty H2294; NGA 3932.
[Saint-Famille Range Rear (3)]
1992 (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 76 m (249 ft); continuous green light. 15.5 m (51 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The original light on a small square wood tower was replaced with a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion in 1948. Located adjacent to a residence off QC 368, 609 m (1998 ft) northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS CAN-1116; CCG 1942; Admiralty H2294.1; NGA 3936.

La Côte-de-Beaupré Municipality Lighthouse
* [Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Sector (ex-Range Front)]
Around 2011 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 11.5 m (38 ft); red, white or green light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 9 m (41 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light guides westbound vessels entering the narrow channel north of the Île d'Orléans. The original light on a mast was replaced by a square wood tower when the range was established in 1907; Forand has a historic photo. The range lighthouses were replaced by skeletal towers around 1990. Located beside the road to the pier at Sanite-Anne-de-Beaupré. Site open, tower closed. CCG 1936.1; Admiralty H2304; NGA 3900.

Boischatel Municipality Lighthouses
* [Ange-Gardien Range Front (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 12.5 m (41 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides eastbound vessels entering the narrow channel north of the Île d'Orléans. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower. Located behind an auto (Fiat) dealership on the east side of QC 138 halfway between the Montmorency River and Ange-Gardien. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1173; CCG 1949; Admiralty H2310; NGA 3940.
[Ange-Gardien Range Rear (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 24.5 m (80 ft); continuous green light. 14 m (46 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower. Located on a hillside 416 m (1365 ft) north northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed but visible from the Rue Dugal. ARLHS CAN-1174; CCG 1950; Admiralty H2310.1; NGA 3942.

Portneuf Municipality Lighthouses
[Portneuf Range Front (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1842). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); continuous green light. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has an indistinct satellite view. This range guides eastbound vessels. The original lighthouse had a lantern atop a keeper's house. It's not known when this building was demolished. Located on the north riverbank about 600 m (0.4 mi) east of the mouth of the Portneuf River. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS CAN-1155; CCG 1997; Admiralty H2346; NGA 4204.
* [Portneuf Range Rear (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1842). Active; focal plane 41 m (134 ft); continuous green light. 14.5 m (47 ft) skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square wood tower. Located on Avenue 1 in Portneuf, 600 m (0.4 mi) northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1156; CCG 1998; Admiralty H2346.1; NGA 4208.
Île Richelieu (3?)
1971 (station established 1816). Active; focal plane 6 m (19 ft); continuous green light shone to the northeast for upstream traffic, continuous yellow light shown to the southwest for downstream traffic. 6 m (19 ft) conical concrete block tower topped by an open lantern-like structure. Anderson has photos, Simon Roy has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is one of the oldest light stations on the St. Lawrence, but the island on which it was built has almost entirely washed away. The previous lighthouse, a 12 m (35 ft) octagonal stone tower, was demolished in 1971; Forand has a historic postcard view. Located on the north side of the island off Deschambault, opposite Lotbinière. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1105; CCG 2001.8; Admiralty H2349; NGA 4244.
* Pointe des Grondines Range Rear (2)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 33 m (108 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. The tower carries a slatted fluorescent orange daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Serge Marcouiller has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos (incorrectly identified as the front light), and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is a downstream range. The original light was a square wood tower. Located at the marina on the Chemin des Ancêtres south of Grondines, on the north side of the river opposite Leclercville. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1143; CCG 2024; Admiralty H2362.1; NGA 4344.
Pointe des Grondines Range Front (2)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal mast mounted on the large square concrete pier of the 1904 light. Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a marshy point about 2.44 km (1.5 mi) southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. CCG 2023; Admiralty H2362; NGA 4340.
[Pointe des Grondines Upper Range Rear (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 29.5 m (97 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 14.5 m (48 ft) square skeletal tower with a slatted orange daymark with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a very distant satellite view. This is a downstream range. The original light was a square wood tower. Located on a hillside on the north side of QC 138 about 8 km (5 mi) west of Grondines. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1144; CCG 2026; Admiralty H2364.1; NGA 4352.
[Pointe des Grondines Upper Range Front (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal mast with a slatted orange daymark with a black vertical stripe. Google has a distant satellite view. The original light was a square wood tower. Located on a marshy point about 2.44 km (1.5 mi) southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. CCG 2025; Admiralty H23642; NGA 4348.

Mauricie Region Lighthouses

Les Chenaux Municipality Lighthouses
[Batiscan Range Front (5)]
2010 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (26 ft) light mounted on two posts, supporting a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe and mounted on the square pyramidal concrete pier of the third (1908) lighthouse. Prior to 1908 the light was onshore in a square wood tower. Google has a distant satellite view. This is an upstream range. LLocated at the water's edge near the foot of Rue Massicotte in Le Marigot, north of Batiscan. Site status unknown. CCG 2042; Admiralty H2366; NGA 4424.
* Batiscan Range Rear (4)
1908(?). Active; focal plane 22 m (73 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 17 m (55 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an orange slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Google has a street view of the new light, but the light is curiously hard to find in Google's satellite view. Michel Forand's photo at right and two of Anderson's photos show the 1908 tower. Prior to 1908 the light was onshore in a square wood tower. Located on the north shore of the river northeast of Batiscan. Site appears to be open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-870; CCG 2043; Admiralty H2366.1; NGA 4428.
[Pointe à la Citrouille (5?)]
Date unknown (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft); continuous green light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal mast carrying an ornage slatted daymark. The original "temporary" light was replaced in 1892, but that lighthouse was destroyed by ice floes in 1896. The third (1898) lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1949. The light is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on a sharp bend in the estuary about 10 km (6 mi) east of Champlain. Site status unknown. CCG 2053; Admiralty H2372; NGA 4480.
[Champlain (Sector, Range Front) (4)]
Date unknown (station established 1844). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous green sector light; also a passing light, red flash every 5 s. 14.5 m (48 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white and mounted on a small concrete pier connected to land by a footbridge. Google has a satellite view. The second lighthouse was a square wood tower built in 1877; it became the front light of a range in 1881 and was replaced by a similar tower in 1906. Located at the water's edge in Champlain, about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of the village quay. Site status unknown. CCG 2062; Admiralty H2382; NGA 4544.
* [Champlain Upper Range Front (3)]
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (26 ft) mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a distant satellite view. The original lighthouse, a square wood tower, was replaced by a wood skeletal tower in 1937. Located at 771 Rue Notre-Dame on the west side of Champlain. Site and wtoer closed (private property) but the light is easy to see from the street. CCG 2063; Admiralty H2380; NGA 4528.
Batiscan Rear Range Light
1908 Batiscan Range Rear Light, Batiscan
photo copyright Michel Forand; used by permission
* Champlain Upper Range Rear (2)
2010 (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 28.5 m (94 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line; also a passing light, red flash every 5 s. 21.5 m (71 ft) skeletal mast. The front face of the tower carries an orange daymark with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Google has a satellite view confirming that the skeletal tower shown on the Lighthouse Digest page has been replaced by a modern, slender tower. This is an upstream range.Located on the north shore of the river west of Champlain, about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Trois-Rivières and 455 m (0.28 mi) west of the front light. Site appears open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1181; CCG 2064; Admiralty H2380.1; NGA 4532.

Trois-Rivières City Lighthouses
[Cap-de-la-Madeleine Lower Range Front (4?)]
Date unknown (station established 1843). Active; focal plane 18.5 m (61 ft); continuous green light. 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, and the light has not been found in Google's satellite view. The original square white tower had to be moved several times to escape erosion of the riverbank; it was replaced by similar towers in 1891 and again in 1906. These lights should not be confused with the well known Cap de la Madeleine lighthouse at Rivière de la Madeleine (see Eastern Québec). Located at the water's edge in Cap-de-la-Madeleine, an eastern suburb of Trois-Rivières. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS CAN-875; CCG 2067; Admiralty H2390; NGA 4636.
* Cap-de-la-Madeleine Lower Range Rear (4?)
Date unknown (station established 1843). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); continuous green light. 23 m (75 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside Route de Red Mill 975 m (0.6 mi) northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-876; CCG 2068; Admiralty H2390.1; NGA 4640.
* Pointe du Lac Range Rear (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); continuous green light. 34 m (112 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Anderson has a photo of the front light, a short skeletal tower on a round concrete pedestal. The range guides eastbound vessels crossing Lac Saint-Pierre, a 32 km (20 mi) long widening of the St. Lawrence estuary. Located on QC 138 (Rue Notre-Dame) at Pointe du Lac, the north side of the downstream exit from Lac Saint-Pierre. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1302; CCG 2126; Admiralty H2402.1; NGA 4640.

Lanaudière Region Lighthouses

D'Autray Municipality Lighthouses
Île Dupas Range Front
1907. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 5 m (18 ft) square wood tower mounted on a square pyramidal concrete pier. Tower painted white, except the front is painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. A kayaker has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. Located on the Île aux Cochons on the northwest side of the river south of Berthierville; probably visible distantly from the southeast side south of Tracy. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1103; CCG 2274; Admiralty H2450; NGA 5136.
* Île Dupas Range Rear (2)
Date unknown (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 25.5 m (84 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 20.5 m (67 ft) square skeletal mast carrying a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion. Located at the end of the Rang de l'Île Dupas on the south end of the Île Dupas, 625 m (0.39 mi) north of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1104; CCG 2275; Admiralty H2450.1; NGA 5140.
Lavaltrie Range Front (3)
1915 (station established 1831). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous green light. 4 m (13 ft) square tower with lantern, mounted on a concrete pier. Tower painted white, lantern roof red; the front of the tower is painted red with a black vertical stripe. Bing has a satellite view. This is an upstream range. Located on the east side of l’Île Hervieux, a low island off the waterfront of Lavaltrie. Accessible only boat or over the ice in winter. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 2292; Admiralty H2460; NGA 5252.
Lavaltrie Range Rear (3)
1915 (station established 1831). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); continuous green light. 18 m (56 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed watch room. Tower painted black, watch room white, lantern white with a red roof. The front of the tower carries a large rectangular daymark, painted bright orange-red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a satellite view. This pyramidal lighthouse was still standing in August 2011, as seen in Google's distant street view; most lighthouses of this class have been replaced by skeletal masts. Located on an islet just off the south end of l’Île Hervieux. Accessible only boat or over the ice in winter. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 2293; Admiralty H2460.1; NGA 5256.

L'Assomption Municipality Lighthouses
Mousseau Range Front
1914. Inactive since 1996. 6 m (20 ft) square wood lantern room with a pyramidal roof, supported by four iron legs on a square concrete pier. Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the west side of the north end of Île Bouchard. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ex-Admiralty H2462.
Mousseau Range Rear
1914. Inactive since 1996. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with wood lantern and enclosed upper portion. Lighthouse originally painted white, but nearly all the paint has worn off. Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located about 700 m (0.42 mi) southwest of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ex-Admiralty H2462.1.
Île Ronde (Péninsule Bouchard) Range Front
1914. Inactive since 1995. 6 m (20 ft) square wood lantern house standing on a 4-legged steel platform. Lighthouse painted white (most of the paint has weathered away); lantern roof is red. Google has an indistinct satellite view. Endangered: the lighthouse is abandoned and deteriorating. Located an unknown distance southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ex-CCG 2300; ex-Admiralty H2463.
Île Ronde (Péninsule Bouchard) Range Rear
1914. Inactive since 1995. 17.5 m (57 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed upper portion. Lighthouse painted white (most of the paint has weathered away); lantern roof is red. A photo by Lloyd Gross is at right, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Endangered: the lighthouse is abandoned and deteriorating. The range guided vessels headed upstream around the north side of the Îles de Verchères. Located on the west side of the Îles de Verchères opposite St.-Sulpice. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ex-CCG 2301; ex-Admiralty H2463.1.
Île Bouchard Range Rear (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 22 m (73 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 16.5 m (54 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, with lantern but no enclosed portion of the tower. The tower also carries an inverted-trapezoidal slatted daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. Located on the southeast side of the island, a long narrow island that divides the river near Verchères, roughly 20 km (13 mi) northeast of Montréal. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1262; CCG 2327; Admiralty H2480.1; NGA 5392.
Île Ronde Range Rear Light
Île Ronde Range Rear Light, St.-Sulpice, July 2007
Flickr photo copyright Lloyd Gross; used by permission
Île Bouchard Range Front (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 13 m (73 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 9 m (30 ft) square platform supported by four steel piles. The tower also a rectangular daymark painted orange with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Google has a satellite view. The light lists all describe this light as being on a "cylindrical mast," but Anderson's photos show otherwise. Located on the southeast side of the island 934 m (0.58 mi) southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1093; CCG 2326; Admiralty H2480; NGA 5388.

Montréal City Lighthouses

* [Tétreauville Range Front (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7.5 m (25 ft) steel post carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is an upstream range The original lighthouse was a square wood tower. Located on the Rue Bellerive at Rue Baldwin across the street from the Parc Promenade-Bellerive in Montréal. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1203; CCG 2359; Admiralty H2496; NGA 5544.
* [Tétreauville Range Rear (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 22 m (72 ft) steel post carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Forand has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, a square skeletal tower with lantern and enclosed upper portion. Located on the Place Beauchesne in the Bellerive neighborhood of Montréal, 630 m (0.39 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. CCG 2360; Admiralty H2496.1; NGA 5548.
* Île Sainte-Hélène (Île Ronde Range Rear)
1912. Inactive for many years. 14.5 m (48 ft) square concrete tower on a square pyramidal concrete base; wooden lantern. Lighthouse painted white. David Giral has a closeup photo, another photo and a wider view are available, Wikimedia has a photo, and Google has a good satellite view. The history of this downstream range light is not well known. A 1929 photo and a 1927 aerial photo were taken during construction of the Jacques-Cartier Bridge; in the aerial photo the front light can be seen to the left of the bridge. The only lighthouse in the downtown area of Montréal seemed endangered for many years. However, it was repainted, apparently in 2007, as seen in Bash's photo at right, and it appears now to be in good condition. Located below the Fort de l'Île Sainte-Hélène at the west side of the island in Montréal harbor. Accessible from the Jacques Cartier Bridge (QC 134); parking nearby. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Montréal. ARLHS CAN-977.

Île Sainte-Hélène Light, Montréal, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
* Lachine Range Rear (2)
1900 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 17 m (55 ft) steel tower with lantern and a small gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; the lantern dome is red. Jean Gagnon's photo is at right, Bash has a 2008 photo, Benoit Larocque also has a good photo, Wikimedia has several excellent photos, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is a downstream (eastbound) range; the two towers are about 240 m (800 ft) apart. Located in Parc Saint-Louis, on Boulevard Saint-Joseph in Lachine. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Inland Waters CCG 1195. ARLHS CAN-967.
* Lachine Range Front (2)
1900 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 7 m (24 ft) steel tower with lantern and a small gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; the lantern dome is red. Jean Gagnon's photo is at the top of this page, Bash has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has several excellent photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the end of the wharf adjoining Parc Saint-Louis, on Boulevard Saint-Joseph in Lachine. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-968; Inland Waters CCG 1194.
Dixie Range Rear
1915. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); quick-flashing green light visible only on the range line. 26 m (85 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof painted red. There is also a large rectangular red slatted daymark with a vertical black stripe on the range line. Bash's 2008 photo is at the bottom of this page, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is an upstream range guiding ships past Lachine. The front range is on a small round tower. Located in the river off Dorval, about 3.2 km (2 mi) west of Lachine. Accessible only by boat, but there are good views from the Parc du Millénaire and other points on the north shore in the Dorval area. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CAN-1407; Inland Waters CCG 1202; Admiralty H2518.41; NGA 5703.
Lachine Range Rear Light
Lachine Range Rear Light, Lachine, October 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jean Gagnon
Dixie Range Front
Date unknown (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 8.5 m (28 ft); quick-flashing green light visible only on the range line. 8.5 m (28 ft) round tower mounted on an octagonal concrete base on a square concrete pier. No closeup photo available, but Anderson has a very distant view and Google has a satellite view. The base is part of the original lighthouse, an octagonal wood tower. Located in the St. Lawrence 1069 m (1 mi) southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Inland Waters CCG 1201; Admiralty H2518.4; NGA 5702.
Dorval Course Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 24 m (79 ft) round steel tower carrying a daymark colored orange with a black vertical stripe and mounted on a round concrete pier with gallery. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is a downstream range. Located in the St. Lawrence about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the Dixie Range Front Light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Inland Waters CCG 014.3; Admiralty H2517.11; NGA 5708.

Montérégie Region Lighthouses

Vaudreuil-Soulanges Municipality Lighthouses
Note: The Soulanges Canal was opened in 1899 to provide a route around the rapids of the St. Lawrence between Lac St.-Louis and Lac St.-François. The canal is 23 km (14 mi) long and has five locks. It was closed in 1958 following inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Ships on the Seaway today use the rebuilt Beauharnois Canal on the south side of the river.
* Soulanges Canal Lower Entrance Range Front
1902. Inactive since 1960. 9 m (29 ft) cast iron tower with lantern, painted white; lantern roof painted gray. Kate McDonnell has a good closeup photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was discontinued when the canal was closed following inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The tower has recently been restored. Located in Pointe-des-Cascades at the end of the north pier at the eastern canal entrance; this is also at the confluence of the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Rivers. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Municipalité de Pointe-des-Cascades. ARLHS CAN-1198.
* Soulanges Canal Lower Entrance Range Rear
1902. Inactive since 1960. 14 m (45 ft) cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof painted black. Pierre Bona's photo is at right, a nice 2008 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was discontinued when the canal was closed following inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The tower has been restored and relocated to a municipal park. Located on the south side of the canal in the Parc des Ancres in the center of Pointe-des-Cascades. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Municipalité de Pointe-des-Cascades. ARLHS CAN-1199.
* Soulanges Canal Upper Entrance Range Rear
1902. Inactive since 1960. Approx. 11 m (30 ft) cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof painted black. Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was discontinued when the canal was closed following inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The tower has recently been restored; it is an attraction in a riverside public campground. Located near the campground entrance on the east side of the canal in Les Coteaux, about 480 m (1585 ft) north of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Camping Coteau Landing. ARLHS CAN-1201.
* Soulanges Canal Upper Entrance Range Front
1902. Inactive since 1960. 11 m (35 ft) cast iron tower with lantern, painted in a gaudy red, white, and blue pattern. Dennis Jarvis's photo is at the bottom of this page, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was discontinued when the canal was closed following inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The tower has recently been restored; it is an attraction in a riverside public campground. Located on the west side of the entrance to the canal in Les Coteaux. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Camping Coteau Landing. ARLHS CAN-1200.
#Pointe Beaudette (Pointe au Beaudet, McKie Point) (2) (?)
1877 (station established 1847). Inactive since 1962 and probably demolished. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white; no lantern. Forand has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by a pair of range lights (see next entry). It was to be demolished after deactivation, but instead it was leased by two neighboring landowners. The lantern was removed after it was badly damaged by a storm in 1995. In 2012 the Coast Guard offered to sell the lighthouse to the municipality of Rivière-Beaudette, but the town council declined because there was no possibility of public access to the property. As of October 2014 Google has a satellite view showing that the tower has disappeared from the site, perhaps relocated but more likely demolished. Located on a sharp point on the north side of the river near Rivière Beaudette and the Ontario border. Site and tower closed (private property), although the lighthouse can be seen from the river. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1124; ex-CCG (Inland Waters) 0099.
Soulanges Lower Entrance Range Rear Light
Soulanges Canal Lower Entrance Rear Light, April 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Pierre Bona
Pointe Beaudette Range Rear
Date unknown (1962?). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous green light. 17.5 m (57 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. The tower carries a triangular slatted daymark, painted orange with a black vertical stripe. The tower has not been located in Google's satellite view. Located about 650 m (0.4 mi) north of the historic lighthouse. Site status unknown. CCG (Inland Waters) 0099.1; Admiralty H2544.1; NGA 6092.

Laurentides Region (Ottawa River) Lighthouses

Deux-Montagnes Municipality Lighthouse
Pointe aux Anglais (4)
1987(?) (station established 1873). Active (privately maintained since 1998); focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 6.5 m (22 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands, mounted on a concrete pier. Marinas.com has distant aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The pier was rebuilt in 1892, so it supported some of the earlier towers. The light was the front light of a range until sometime in the 1980s. Located on a reef in the Lac des Deux Montagnes at Pointe-aux-Anglais, about 10 km (6 mi) west of Oka. Accessible only by boat, but visible from shore. Owner/site manager: Club de Voile des Laurentides. ARLHS CAN-1271; CCG (Inland Waters) 1245.

Outaouais Region (Ottawa River) Lighthouses

Pontiac Municipality Lighthouses
Lower Allumette Lake (Spence Island) (2)
1910 (station established 1885). Inactive since the 1920s. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern. The lighthouse peeks above trees in Benedikt Kuhn's 2012 photo, and trees hide the lighthouse in Bing's satellite view of the location. It has only been discovered recently that this lighthouse is still standing. Gravely endangered: abandoned for eight decades, the building is embedded in vegetation and is descending into ruin. Located on an island at the lower end of Lower Allumette Lake, about 8 km (5 mi) north of Waltham. Accessible only by boat. Site open, though somewhat difficult to find. ARLHS CAN-1122.
Passage Lower (Pointe Leblanc, Lower Narrows) (2)
1907 (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 7.5 m (25 ft); red flash every 4 s. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. Benedikt Kuhn has a 2012 photo, and Bing has a good satellite view. The original light here was on a pole. Located on the north side of the river on the west end of the Île Leblanc, off the Île des Allumettes about 5 km (3 mi) west of Pembroke, Ontario. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-891; CCG (Inland Waters) 1308.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Cap de la Madeleine (Trois Rivières) (1891-?), St. Lawrence River. This is the Cap-de-la-Madeleine Lower Range Front Light (see above). ARLHS CAN-875.
  • Cap de la Madeleine Upper Range Lights (1843-1937), St. Lawrence River. This range was discontinued and the lighthouses demolished. ARLHS CAN-877 and 878.
  • Cap de la Madeleine Village Range Lights (1904-?), St. Lawrence River. This range was discontinued and the lighthouses demolished. ARLHS CAN-879.
  • Champlain Lower Range Rear (1881-?), St. Lawrence River. See Anderson's discussion on Champlain. The lighthouse has been demolished.
  • Chute à Blondeau Range Lights (1912-ca. 1960), Ottawa River. ARLHS CAN-1183.
  • Côteau Landing (2) (1877-?), St. Lawrence River west of Montréal. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-966.
  • Domaine Range Front and Rear (1907-?), northeast end of the Île d'Orléans, St. Lawrence River. This range has been replaced by the Pointe Argentenaye range lights. ARLHS CAN-967 and 968.
  • Dorval (1874-?), St. Lawrence River. The lighthouse has been demolished. ARLHS CAN-969.
  • Fort William (1913-?), Lac aux Allumettes, Ottawa River. The lighthouse was demolished. There is a mast light today on the Fort William pier. ARLHS CAN-970; CCG (Inland Waters) 1309.
  • Grondines Range Front and Rear (1874-1904). This range was replaced in 1904 by the Pointe de Grondines Range Lights (see above). ARLHS CAN-953 and 954.
  • Île aux Allumettes (1906-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-1090.
  • Île Ronde Range Front (1908-?), Montréal. This range was discontinued; the rear light survives (see above).
  • Île Rosalie (1912-1978), Ottawa River. The historic lighthouse was destroyed by vandals in 1978 and replaced by a metal tower. However, the location is marked only by a lightbuoy today. ARLHS CAN-1106; CCG (Inland Waters) 1283.1.
  • Île Sainte-Thérèse Lower Range Rear (1855-?), St. Lawrence River. ARLHS CAN-1111.
  • Longue Pointe Traverse Downstream Range Lights (1903-1980s?), Montréal. The original range lights were on the west side of the river near Longue Pointe. The modern lights have been moved as an upstream range to the other side of the river in Longueuil (see the Southern Québec page). ARLHS CAN-1120 and 1121.
  • Montréal Range Front and Rear (1830-1890s?), Montréal Harbor. Very little is known about these lighthouses. ARLHS CAN-1185 and 1186.
  • Oka (Pointe aux Anglais Range Rear) (1898-late 1990s), Ottawa River. See Anderson's Pointe aux Anglais page. The original lighthouse was on a pier in the river. The second (1907) lighthouse was on a hilltop to serve as the rear range light. Forand has a historic postcard view. The 1907 lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1958. ARLHS CAN-1126.
  • Oka Wharf (1903-1997), Ottawa River. CCG has no listing for this light today, but Joaquim Serrano has a photo of a simple post light on the quay. ARLHS CAN-1127.
  • Pointe à Cadieux (1875-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-980.
  • Pointe au Chêne (1913-1940s), Ottawa River. Forand has a historic photo. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-1278.
  • Pointe aux Trembles en Bas (1913-1956), St. Lawrence River at Neuville, just above Québec. The lighthouse no longer exists. There is a small beacon on the marina breakwater; Google has a street view. ARLHS CAN-1142; CCG 1974; Admiralty H2334; NGA 4096.
  • Pointe Caron (1878-1934), Baie d'Urfé, west of Montréal. The lighthouse is gone, and there is no longer a light at this location.
  • Pointe Claire (1860-?), west of Montréal. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-982.
  • Pointe du Lac (1843-1906), Lac Saint-Pierre, St. Lawrence River. This lighthouse was replaced by the Point du Lac Range Rear Light (see above). ARLHS CAN-1300.
  • Pointe McTavish (1871-1940s), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of this lighthouse.
  • Repentigny Range Front and Rear (1843-?), St. Lawrence River below Montréal. This range was discontinued and the lighthouses demolished. ARLHS CAN-1159 and 1160.
  • Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Range Rear (1907-?), Île d'Orléans Channel, St. Lawrence River. The front light has been replaced by a sector light (see above) and nothing remains of the rear lighthouse. Forand has a postcard view.
  • Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal Southeast Entrance (?-?), Ottawa Rier entrance. The canal remains in service, but the lighthouse has disappeared.
  • Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Traverse Range Front and Rear (1874-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of these lighthouses.
  • Sainte-Placide Course Range Rear (1902-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of this lighthouse.
  • Sainte-Placide Traverse Range Front and Rear (1874-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of these lighthouses.
  • Saint-Sulpice Course and Traverse Range Lights (1914-?), St. Lawrence River below Montréal. Forand has a historic photo of the St. Sulpice Course Front Light. These ranges were discontinued and the lighthouses demolished.
  • Supple Point (1910-?), Ottawa River. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-1202.
  • Trois-Rivières Range Front (?-?). Nothing remains of this lighthouse.
  • Way Shoal (1870-1906), Ottawa River near Thurso. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-1305.


Dixie Range Rear Light, St.-Pierre, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash


Soulanges Canal Upper Entrance Range Front Light, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northeastern Québec | East: Eastern Québec | South: Southern Québec | West: Southeastern Ontario

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 12, 2003. Checked and revised August 13, 2015. Lighthouses: 33. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.