The Zambezi River, southern Africa's largest river, flows through central Mozambique to empty into the Indian Ocean near Chinde. In 1924, this large lighthouse was built on Timbué Island, the largest island in the delta of the river. With a height of 40 meters (131 ft), this is (or was) one of the tallest lighthouses ever built in eastern or southern Africa. We do not know if this tower survives. The light has been moved to a square skeletal tower, perhaps tracking a change in the location of the river entrance.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page