This spectacular skeletal lighthouse was built in 1926 on the Ilha do Fogo, an island off Ponta Matirre northeast of Macuse on the central coast of Mozambique. At 37 meters (131 ft), it was one of the tallest African lighthouses of this type. Most likely it was prefabricated in Europe for assembly on site, but we know nothing of these details. Sadly, it probably does not survive. The modern light on the island is 34 meters tall (111 ft) and is described as a "quadrangular skeleton tower." Other lighthouses of similar description in Mozambique are constructed of prefabricated reinforced concrete beams.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page