Silva Pais describes Ponta Matirre as being "just north of the mouth of the Tejungo River," with the lighthouse "acting as both a coastal light and a harbor light for vessels on their way to the port of Pebane." This antique skeletal tower, built in 1913, may survive; the current NGA List describes the Ponta Matirre Light as a 13 meter (43 ft) "metal skeletal tower," painted with red and white horizontal bands.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page