Monte Belo is a hill on the south side of the mouth of the Limpopo River in southern Mozambique. Since a light here is effective both as a coastal light and as the landfall light for the river, the site was one of the five highest priority projects of the 1908 lighthouse plan. The traditional Monte Belo lighthouse with its 14 meter (46 ft) stone tower was completed in 1914 and continues in service today.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page