The Pinda lighthouse stands southeast of Memba in northern Mozambique. Silva Pais writes that its principal purpose is to warn ships away from the Pinda Shoals, but it also serves to guide shipping bound for the port of Memba. This was the northernmost light station built by the colonial government until the Nyassa Company's control over Cabo Delgado Province was ended in 1929. The 31 meter (102 ft) tower rises through the center of a 1-story keeper's house. Completed in 1923, it remains in service today, still bearing its black and white banded daymark.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page