This unusual skeletal lighthouse was completed in 1908 to provide a landfall light for the port of Quelimane in central Mozambique. The current NGA List describes Vilhena Light as a 27 meter (89 ft) metal framework tower, suggesting that the historic lighthouse is still in use. If so, it is the oldest skeletal light tower in the country. The tower is now painted with red and white horizontal bands.
photo from Silva Pais pamphlet
Posted June 2005. Images in this section are believed to be in the public domain. The Lighthouse Directory site is copyright 2005 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Return to Silva Pais pamphlet text | Return to Mozambique directory page | Return to The Lighthouse Directory home page