Lighthouses of France: Côte d'Azur (French Riviera)

This page includes lighthouses of France's southeastern coast, the Côte d'Azur, often called the French Riviera in English. The Riviera includes two départements of the French Republic, Alpes-Maritimes and Var. The region is famous for its resorts; it includes many well-known vacation destinations such as Nice, Cannes, and St.-Tropez. It also includes Toulon, France's major naval base on the Mediterranean. The lighthouses of Monaco, an independent nation, are on a separate page.

The part of this coast in Alpes-Maritimes was formerly included in the County of Nice, which was part of the Kingdom of Sardinia until 1860. However, no lighthouses survive from the period of Sardinian rule.

The French word for a lighthouse, phare, is often reserved for the larger coastal lighthouses; a smaller light or harbor light is called a feu (literally "fire," but here meaning "light"). The front light of a range (alignement) is the feu antérieur and the rear light is the feu postérieur.

Aids to navigation in France were regulated for many years by the Bureau des Phares et Balises. This venerable agency has been absorbed as the office of Maritime Signalization (Signalisation Maritime) within Ecology, Infrastructure and Energy Ministry (Ministère de l'Écologie, du Développement Durable, et de l'Énergie). However, many of the lights are actually operated by the transport ministries or port authorities of the departmental governments.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. FR numbers, where available, are the French light list numbers. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Phares d'Europe
A large, well known site maintained by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller.
Phares de France
Another large and well known site, this one by Jean-Christophe Fichou, rich in historical information.
Ministère de la Culture - Phares
Historical data on more than 180 French lighthouses, with photos of most of them.
Phareland, le Site des Phares de France
This comprehensive site has good photos and information about the major lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Mediterranean France
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. For this area, many of the photos are by Arno Siering.
Lighthouses in France
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in France
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Société Nationale pour le Patrimoine des Phares et Balises (S.N.P.B.)
The French national lighthouse preservation organization.
Französische Leuchttürme
Historic photos and postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Phare du Cap Ferrat
Cap Ferrat Light, Villefranche-sur-Mer, March 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Tangopaso

Départment des Alpes-Maritimes Inland Lighthouses

Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) Lighthouses (see also Switzerland)
* Amphion-les-Bains
Date unknown (1890s?). Inactive. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A 2008 photo and a closeup photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Amphion-les-Bains is on the central south shore of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva), opposite Morges, Switzerland. Located at a breakwater elbow at Amphion-les-Bains; accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed.
* [Évian-les-Bains]
Date unknown (1890s?). Probably active; continuous (?) red light. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) cast iron post light mounted on a round masonry base. A closeup and another photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier at Évian-les-Bains, a popular resort town about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of Amphion-les-Bains. Located on the Quai du Baron de Blonay, marking the entrance to a small boat harbor. Site open, tower closed.
* Port Pré-Curieux
Date unknown (around 1900?). Active? Approx. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal hourglass-shaped skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is gray metallic; lantern roof is dark red. No current photo available, but Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The Jardins de l'Eau du Pré-Curieux is an environmental education center specializing in wetlands protection. Visitors reach the center by a solar-powered boat that departs from a quay on the west side of downtown Évian-les-Bains. Located on the center's quay. Site open, tower closed.

Lac du Bourget Lighthouse
*
Aix-les-Bains
Date unknown. Inactive? 4 m (13 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower on a 1-story octagonal cast iron equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Information is needed on the history of this interesting little lighthouse. The Lac du Bourget, France's largest lake, is located in the Alps about halfway between Grenoble and Genève, Switzerland. The lake is 18 km (11 mi) long and has an altitude of 231.5 m (760 ft). The resort town of Aix-les-Bains is on the east side of the lake. Located at the end of the main pier at the Grand Port d'Aix-les-Bains. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed.

Départment des Alpes-Maritimes Coastal Lighthouses

Menton Lighthouses
Menton-Garavan
1966. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two red flashes every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower. The seaward side of the tower is painted white with a red horizontal band at the top; the landward side is unpainted. Trabas has a fine photo by Siering, Chris Continanza has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The harbor of Garavan is only 700 m (0.4 mi) west of the Italian border. Located at the end of the Garavan breakwater. Site and tower closed, but there is an excellent view from the shore. ARLHS FRA-356; Admiralty E0849; NGA 7272.
* Menton
1890. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); four very quick red flashes every 3 s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tourelle with lantern and gallery, mounted on a large stone pier. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. Bruno Collinet's photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller also have a photo, Trabas has an excellent photo by Siering, a fine closeup is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Small cast iron towers of this type, called tourelles, were manufactured and installed in large numbers during the late 1800s and very early 1900s. Few survive, especially on the Mediterranean coast where German troops destroyed nearly all harbor lights in 1944 to prevent their use by Allied forces. As a result, this little lighthouse is a rare and valuable monument. Located on the end of the breakwater mole (the Quai Napoléon III) on the south side of the harbor of Menton, about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of the Italian border. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-357; Admiralty E0848; NGA 7268.

Note: There is a separate page for the lighthouses of the principality of Monaco, located between Menton and Cap Ferrat.

Cap Ferrat and Villefranche Lighthouses
* Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (3)
Date unknown (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete or masonry tower. Lighthouse painted white with a red lantern structure supporting the light. Trabas has a good photo by Heike and Friedrich Klatt, another photo is available, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the breakwater of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, on the east side of the peninsula of the cape about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of the Cap Ferrat lighthouse. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-838; Admiralty E0833; NGA 7220.

Menton Light, Menton, May 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Bruno Collinet
* Cap Ferrat (2)
1952 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 69 m (226 ft); white flash every 3 s. 32 m (105 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. The tower is unpainted white stone; the lantern is green with a white roof. A photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a closeup photo by Siering, Eric Farber has a good photo, Wikimedia has several photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This is one of the oldest light stations of the Côte d'Azur, along with Cap Camarat and Antibes. It was established by the Kingdom of Sardinia, which controlled Nice until 1860. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, which was blown up by German troops in 1944. Cap Ferrat is a very prominent cape projecting into the Mediterranean between Nice and Monaco. Located above the point of the cape, on the Avenue du Phare in Villefranche-sur-Mer. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-099; FR-1508; Admiralty E0828; NGA 7216.
* Villefranche-sur-Mer (3)
Date unknown (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); quick-flashing light, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round tower, with a red cylindrical lantern structure centered on the roof of a square 1-story white masonry equipment building. Guyomard and Carceller have a photo, Neuner Jürgen has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the main breakwater of Villefranche-sur-Mer. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-534; Admiralty E0830; NGA 7208.

Nice and Saint-Laurent-du-Var Lighthouses
* Nice (2)
1880 (station established 1855). Approx. 11 m (36 ft) white round masonry tower; lantern removed. Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The harbor of Nice is protected by a breakwater that extends to the east. New lighthouses were built on the breakwater each time it was extended: in 1880, 1909, and 1928. The 1909 lighthouse was cast iron, so most likely the "ancien feu de Nice" in Guyomard and Carceller's photo is the 1880 tower. Fichou outlines the history of the station. Located at the end of the Traverse du Commerce, the cruise ship quay of Nice. Site open, tower closed.
* Nice (6)
Date unknown (probably around 1950). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a large square stone base. Lighthouse is white, lantern red with a white roof. A photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent closeup photo by Siering, Guyomard and Carceller have additional closeup photos, Ilda Casati has a photo, Cristian Statescu has a good view of the lighthouse and harbor entrance, Wikimedia has several photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The 1928 lighthouse, the fourth on the Nice breakwater, was heavily damaged during World War II; it was replaced by a wooden tower in 1945 and then by this lighthouse. Located at the end of the Nice breakwater; accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-370; FR-1500; Admiralty E0822; NGA 7184.
* Saint-Laurent-du-Var
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three green flashes every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has Siering's photo, another photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the east breakwater at the Marina Saint-Laurent-du-Var, just west of the Nice airport. This breakwater does not appear to be walkable. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-618; Admiralty E0821; NGA 7168.
Nice Light
Nice Light, Nice, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Myrabella

Antibes Lighthouses
Marina Baie des Anges Jetée Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two green flashes every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tower, painted white. Google has a street view, the light can be seen on the breakwater at the right in an aerial photo, and Bing has a good aerial view. Located at the end of the east breakwater at the Marina Baie des Anges, north of Antibes. This breakwater does not appear to be walkable. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-543; Admiralty E0818.7; NGA 7164.
* Antibes Môle du Fort Carré
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower. Tower unpainted, but the light structure at the top is green. The light tower is in the left center of Nick Bennett's photo of the harbor, and Bing has an aerial view. This light is located at the end of a breakwater mole on the west side of harbor, below the the 16th century Fort Carré. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-556; Admiralty E0819.6; NGA 7144.
* Antibes (Môle des Cinq Cents Francs)
1834. Inactive. 12 m (39 ft) round masonry tower with gallery; the lantern has been removed and the light is shown from a tripod. The lighthouse is also floodlit at night. Guyomard and Carceller have a closeup photo, a nighttime photo is available, Huelse has a postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light is no longer listed by NGA. Located on the east side of the entrance to the old inner harbor of Antibes, off the Quai Henri Rambaud. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-596; Admiralty E0819.5; ex-NGA 7152.
* Antibes Dique du Large
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); four flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with red trim. This is the light shown at the top of Guyomard and Carceller's Antibes page; Günter Schopper has a closeup, another closeup is available, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the main breakwater at Antibes. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-555; Admiralty E0819; NGA 7140.
* La Garoupe (Antibes) (2)
1948 (station established 1837). Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 29 m (95 ft) square stone tower centered on the roof of a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse is white, lantern painted red with a white dome. A photo is at right, Trabas has Siering's closeup photo, Phareland.com has numerous photos, Wikimedia has several photos, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This is a landfall light for Antibes, Cannes, and the Côte d'Azur; it is one of the most powerful lights of the Mediterranean with a range of 31 nautical miles (57.5 km, 35.5 mi). Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, a 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower, which was blown up by German troops in 1944. The lighthouse is surrounded by the Bois de la Garoupe, a 9 ha (22 acre) forest preserve managed by the city of Antibes. Located on the Route du Phare in Antibes, overlooking the Baie des Anges. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-111; FR-1498; Admiralty E0818; NGA 7136.
L'Îlette (Cap d'Antibes) (2)
1910 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. 15 m (49 ft) round slender cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. Lise Schau has a closeup photo, Trabas has a photo by Egidio Ferrighi, Kai Buehler has a view from the sea, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. This lighthouse is located at the southwestern point of the Cap d'Antibes peninsula, marking the east side of the entrance to Golfe Juan. The point is on a small island (îlette) connected to the mainland by a narrow isthmus. According to Guyomard and Carceller, this is in a restricted residential area (Buehler calls it the baie des millionaires), so there is no public access to the lighthouse. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-120; Admiralty E0814; NGA 7132.
Phare de la Garoupe
La Garoupe Light, Antibes, February 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by fr.zil

Vallauris Lighthouses
* Golfe-Juan Jetée du Large
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two green flashes every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) round tower with gallery. Tower painted white with a green horizontal band at the top. Romeo Reidl has a 2007 photo, Google has a distant street view from the beach, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole of Golfe-Juan. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-561; Admiralty E0810.4; NGA 7122.
* Vallauris (Phare de la Maure) (2)
1927 (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 167 m (548 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 19 m (62 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; lantern painted black. Trabas has a closeup photo by Siering, Andreas Köhler has a photo, several additional photos are available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This is France's highest lighthouse. There are several photos of the original lighthouse, a round stone tower; it was built on sandy soil near the beach and had to be replaced when it began to lean dangerously. Located on the Boulevard des Horizons, high on the hillside in Vallauris, overlooking the Golfe-Juan about 3 km (2 mi) east northeast of the Cannes waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-530; FR-1494; Admiralty E0808; NGA 7116.
La Fourmigue
1917. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) solid round stone tower with a "watchroom" structure and two galleries; the light is displayed from a tripod. Tower painted with red and black horizontal bands. Fabien Krawiec has a closeup photo, Trabas has Siering's view from shore, and Bing has a satellite view. A fourmi is an ant; sailors sometimes refer to small rocky skerries as ants. Located on a rock in the center of the entrance to Golfe Juan about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of the harbor. Accessible only by boat; there are distant views from shore everywhere in Golfe-Juan. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-016; Admiralty E0806; NGA 7112.

Cannes Lighthouses
Îles de Lérins (Les Moines)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); six quick white flashes, followed by one long white flash, every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete post light with gallery, mounted on a round pier. Upper 2/3 of the lighthouse painted yellow, base black. The tower also carries a topmark, two triangles on a short mast. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The Îles de Lérins are a group of islands close offshore southeast of Cannes. Several of the islands are inhabited and accessible by ferry. Located on a dangerous rocky shoal off the Île St.-Honorat, southernmost of the islands. Accessible only by boat, but there should be a view from the Île St.-Honorat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0805; NGA 7108.
Feu des Moines
Les Moines Light, Cannes, June 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ahef
* Port Canto
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) unpainted round stone tower topped by a green lantern structure. A good photo is available, Trabas has a photo by Heike and Friedrich Klatt, Carceller and Guyomard have a small photo, and Google has a satellite view. and a distant street view from the waterfront promenade. Located at the end of the breakwater at Port Canto, a newer harbor on the east side of Cannes. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-616; Admiralty E0803; NGA 7100.
Le Sécant
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two green flashes every 6 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower, painted white; gallery rail and lighting apparatus painted green. Trabas has a good photo by Arno Siering, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located at the end of a submerged reef on the east side of the entrance to Cannes harbor. Accessible only by boat, but easy to see from shore. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-271; Admiralty E0801; NGA 7092.
* Cannes (2)
1950 (station established 1854). Inactive. 10 m (33 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted white stone except for a yellow band under the gallery, lantern painted white. Alexis Maindrault has a good photo, a photo showing both old and new lighthouses is also available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The original lighthouse was destroyed by German troops in August 1944; it was replaced by a copy. The lighthouse was deactivated when the mole on which it stands was extended by a riprap breakwater and a new light was built at its end. The yellow band was added in late 2007 or early 2008; a March 2008 photo shows it. Located at the end of the original mole at the old harbor of Cannes. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-665.
* Cannes (3) (Môle de l'Ouest)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three very quick red flashes every 2 s. 22 m (72 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with a red band under the lantern; lantern also painted red. A photo by Alberto Fernandez Fernandez is at right, Sam Cannon has another good photo, Trabas has a photo, an additional photo is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the breakwater at the old harbor of Cannes. This breakwater is not walkable but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-211; Admiralty E0800; NGA 7096.

Théoule-sur-Mer Lighthouses
* La Napoule
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); three green flashes every 12 s. 7 m (23 ft) square tower, unpainted except for a white vertical stripe facing the sea and green trim at the top. A photo is available, Trabas has Siering's photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located at the end of the breakwater of the Marina de la Napoule on the north side of Théoule-sur-Mer. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-348; Admiralty E0799; NGA 7084.
* Théoule-sur-Mer Jetée de la Rague
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); four green flashes every 15 s. 7 m (23 ft) round strongly conical white concrete tower. A photo and a view from the sea are available, Trabas has a good photo by Heike and Friedrich Klatt, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater of the Marina de la Rague on the north side of Théoule-sur-Mer. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-578; Admiralty E0798.4; NGA 7080.
Cannes Light
Môle de l'Ouest Light, Cannes, 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo
by Alberto Fernandez Fernandez
* Théoule-sur-Mer Jetée de l'Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white or red light depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) round unpainted stone tower with a small red lantern. Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located at the end of the east (main) breakwater in Théoule-sur-Mer. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-626; Admiralty E0798; NGA 7076.
* La Galère
1961. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick flashing red light. 7 m (23 ft) round conical concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top. Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, Silverlands Ltd. has a photo, and there's a Google satellite view. Located on the end of the breakwater at La Galère; presumably accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-598; Admiralty E0797; NGA 7072.
* La Figueirette (Port de Miramar)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three flashes every 12 s, white or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) platform supported by four piles rising from the corners of a square 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, Nino Amoretti has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the breakwater of the Marina la Figueirette in Miramar, on the south side of Théoule-sur-Mer. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0796; NGA 7068.

Département du Var Lighthouses

Saint-Raphaël and Fréjus Lighthouses
La Chrétienne
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); six quick white flashes and one long white flash every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower. Upper half of the lighthouse painted yellow, lower half black. Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef about 1 km (0.6 mi) offshore southwest of Agay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0795.5; NGA 7064.
* Agay (La Baumette)
1884. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 1 s off. 16 m (52 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery red. Daniel Stoica has a photo, Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. There is a monument at the lighthouse in memory of the author and aviator Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, who flew over this spot on his last and fatal flight on 31 July 1944. Located on the Pointe des Baumettes, on the east side of the entrance to the beautiful Rade d'Agay, about 10 km (6 mi) east of Saint-Raphaël. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-137; FR-1490; Admiralty E0795; NGA 7060.
* Saint-Raphaël (2)
Date unknown (station established 1873). Inactive since 2012. 13 m (43 ft) slender round stone tower. No lantern; the light is displayed from a tripod at the top of the tower. André Collé has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light replaced a cast iron tourelle seen at the far left of Huelse's postcard view. Located at the end of the south jetty at Saint-Raphaël; accessible by walking the jetty. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-501; Admiralty E0792; NGA 7040.
* [Lanterne d'Auguste]
The Lanterne d'Auguste is a well-preserved square stone Roman daybeacon with a pyramidal top built during the reign of Augustus (27 BCE-14 CE). Google has a street view and a satellite view. This tower and the next one guided vessels into the Roman port of Fréjus. Located near the east end of the Rue de la Lanterne d'Auguste on the south side of Fréjus. Site open.
* [Butte Saint-Antoine]
The Butte Saint-Antoine is the foundation ruin of a Roman lighthouse built in the reign of Tiberius (14-37 CE). Google has a street view and a satellite view. This tower and the previous one guided vessels into the Roman port of Fréjus. Located near the west end of the Rue de la Lanterne d'Auguste on the south side of Fréjus. Site open.

Saint-Tropez Lighthouses
Sèche à l'Huile
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 s); six quick flashes followed by one long flash every 15 s. 16 m (52 ft) round stone tower, upper half painted yellow and lower half black. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This light marks the north side of the entrance to the Golfe de Saint-Tropez. Located at sea about 1 km (0.6 mi) off the Pointe des Sardinaux east of Sainte-Maxime. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty E0790; NGA 7020.
* Saint-Tropez (Jetée Nord) (4) ("Phare Rouge")
2001 (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted stone with trim painted white; lantern and gallery painted red. Chris Gold's photo is at right, Trabas has Siering's photo, Albert de la Hoz has a third photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The second St.-Tropez lighthouse, known affectionately as the Phare Rouge, was built at the end of the north jetty in 1869 and served until it was destroyed by German troops in 1944. It was replaced by a drab and "temporary" concrete tower. The temporary light remained for 36 years, until an extension of the jetty made a new light necessary. The city government then paid to construct an exact replica of the Phare Rouge, which was lit on the first day of the Millennium, 1 January 2001. Located at the end of the breakwater. Accessible by walking the jetty. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-082; Admiralty E0778; NGA 7000.

Jetée Nord Light, Saint-Tropez, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Chris Gold
La Moutte (Cap de St.-Tropez)
1934(?). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three quick flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) round stone tower, painted black with a yellow horizontal band. A closeup photo is available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The beacon may well be much older than 1934; that's the date when it was first lit. This light marks the south side of the entrance to the Golfe de St.-Tropez. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) off the point of the Cap de St.-Tropez. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the end of the Chemin de la Moutte about 6 km (3.5 mi) east of St.-Tropez. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-366; Admiralty E0774; NGA 6992.

Cap Camarat and Cap Bénat Lighthouses
**** Cap Camarat
1837. Active; focal plane 130 m (427 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a square 1-story stone block keeper's house. Tower painted white, lantern black; the keeper's house is painted buff with white trim. A photo is at right, Trabas has Siering's photo, Phareland.com has many photos, Wikimedia has an aerial photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse has the same design as Cap d'Arme (Porquerolles), except that the tower is 5 m (16 ft) taller. It is the second highest light in France (after the Phare de Vallauris near Cannes), and it marks a major change in the direction of the coastline south of St.-Tropez. It was strafed by Allied aircraft in 1944 but not seriously damaged. Located at the end of the Route de Camarat about 7 km (4.5 mi) by road southeast of Ramatuelle. Site open, tower open for climbing daily throughout the summer season. ARLHS FRA-077; FR-1481; Admiralty E0772; NGA 6988.
Cap Bénat
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); red flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. A photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Cap Bénat is a prominent cape on the mainland, facing the Rade d'Hyères. The cape is in a restricted residential area, so it is not possible to reach the lighthouse by road. Dedicated lighthouse fans can reach the light by a hike of about two hours each way on the spectacular coastal trail from La Favière. The lighthouse is actually located on Cap Blanc, the more southwesterly of the two forks of Cap Bénat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-076; Admiralty E0764; NGA 6956.
Cap Camarat Light
Cap Camarat Light, Ramatuelle, April 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Wusel007

Hyères Lighthouses
Note: The Îles d'Hyères are islands lying off the southernmost point of the Côte d'Azur, east of Toulon. Between the islands and the mainland is a deepwater sound called the Rade d'Hyères. The town of Hyères is on a peninsula of the mainland opposite the islands.
Les Salins (Port Pothuau) Jetée de l'Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) post light mounted on the roof of a 1-story pierhead building. The upper half of the post is painted green and the rest of the structure is white. Trabas has Siering's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the east breakwater of Les Salins, an old fishing harbor on the mainland coast of the Rade d'Hyères. Admiralty E0756; NGA 6944.
* Hyères Jetée de l'Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 4 s. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal pyramidal concrete tower, painted white with a narrow green band at the top. Trabas has Siering's photo, the light is at the bottom of G. Bernardin's aerial photo of the harbor, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the west breakwater of Port St.-Pierre. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0754; NGA 6920.
* Hyères Jetée de l'Ouest
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red light, 3 s on, 1 s off. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal pyramidal concrete tower, painted white with a narrow red band at the top. Jos Van de Velde has a photo, Trabas has a photo, the light appears in G. Bernardin's aerial photo of the harbor, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the east (main) breakwater of Port St.-Pierre, on the east side of Hyères. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0754.2; NGA 6924.
Le Titan (1)
1837. Inactive since 1893. 8 m (26 ft) square tower centered on a 1-story keeper's house. An aerial photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view (note the formidable stairway leading up from the landing below the lighthouse), and Google has a satellite view. The present light tower was added in 1893 because the original tower was not large enough to carry a 1st order lantern. Built at the eastern tip of the Île du Levant, it is located in a restricted military zone not accessible to the public. Site and tower closed.
Le Titan (2)
1893 (station established 1837). Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Centered on the roof of the house is a square tower that originally carried the lantern. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern painted black. An aerial photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view (note the formidable stairway leading up from the landing below the lighthouse), and Google has a satellite view. The present light tower was added in 1893 because the original tower was not large enough to carry a 1st order lantern. This historic lighthouse marks the eastern end of the Îles d'Hyères, making it a very important light for westbound shipping. Built at the eastern tip of the Île du Levant, it is located in a restricted military zone not accessible to the public. As in the case of Cap Cépet, closeup photos are rare. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-504; FR-1479; Admiralty E0770; NGA 6976.
**** Cap d'Arme (Porquerolles, Rocher de la Croix)
1837. Active; focal plane 80 m (262 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical stone block tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a square 1-story stone block keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted black. Carlo Dambra has a photo, a view from the sea and a closeup of the lantern are available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This historic lighthouse marks the southernmost point of the Côte d'Azur and ranks as one of the great lighthouses of the Mediterranean. In 1944, keeper Joseph Pellegrino's one-man defense saved the lighthouse from destruction by a small detachment of German troops sent for that purpose; for this heroism Pellegrino was awarded the Croix de l'Légion d'Honneur, the Legion of Honor, France's highest award. The lighthouse is a popular attraction because of its spectacular view of the Mediterranean and the Îles d'Hyères; it is accessible by a hike of about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) one way from the village of Porquerolles, which can be reached by ferry from Giens. There is a small museum in the lighthouse. Located at the southernmost point of the Île de Porquerolles. Site open, tower open daily. ARLHS FRA-128; FR-1462; Admiralty E0751; NGA 6908.
Jeaune Garde
1934. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing light, white or red depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with a small gallery but no lantern. The upper half of the tower is black and the lower half yellow. Vladimir Vyskocil has a 2008 photo, Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky reef about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the western tip of the Île de Porquerolles. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty E0750; NGA 6904.
Cap d'Arme Light
Cap d'Arme (Porquerolles) Light, Hyères, March 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jlucnet
Grand-Ribaud (2)
1953 (station established 1851). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the elbow of an L-shaped 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Jean-Luc Fitoussi has a photo, Trabas has a photo, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a good satellite view. The Îlot du Grand-Ribaud is a small, privately owned island in the western entrance to the Rade d'Hyères, between the Giens peninsula and the Île du Porquerolles. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, which was destroyed during World War II. Located on the south point of the island, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southeast of Giens. Accessible only by boat; there should be a distant view from the ferry between Giens and the Île de Porquerolles. Site status unknown. ARLHS FRA-304; FR-1459; Admiralty E0748; NGA 6896.

Toulon Area Lighthouses
Note: Located east of Marseilles, Toulon has been the traditional home port of the French Mediterranean Fleet since it was founded by Charles VIII in 1494. The inner harbor of Toulon, called the Petite Rade (little roads), is protected by a 1400 m (0.86 mi) long breakwater completed in 1882. Most shipping proceeds around the south end of the breakwater, but at the north end there is a gap, the Petite Passe, where smaller vessels can pass close to shore.
* Le Mourillon
1937(?). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green light occulting twice every 6 s. 4.5 m (15 ft) square post rising from a 1-story triangular equipment shelter. Post painted light blue, equipment shelter white. A 2009 closeup is available, Trabas has a photo, Christophe Jeannette has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. There is evidence that a light was displayed here earlier than 1937. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at the Port du Mourillon, a small boat harbor at the foot of the Rue Pierre Suffren in eastern Toulon, about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of the Petite Passe. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E0742; NGA 6840.
* Toulon Petite Passe (2)
Date unknown (station established 1900?). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red or green light depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. Light mounted atop a 22 m (72 ft) gray harbor control building. Trabas has a good photo, another photo and a more distant view are available, also a view from the land, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light is at the end of a short jetty projecting into the Petite Passe. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original light, a 9 m (30 ft) cast iron tourelle. Located on the jetty beyond the end of the Avenue de la Tour Royale in southeastern Toulon. Site open (or at least one should be able to get close to the building), tower status unknown. ARLHS FRA-393; Admiralty E0720; NGA 6836.
Toulon Grande Jetée (2)
Date unknown (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 2.5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower, painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has a photo, Norbert Bourhis has a photo and a more distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, a typical prefabricated tourelle. A 2007 distant view of the old lighthouse is available. This light marks the main ship channel, which rounds the south end of the breakwater. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-562; Admiralty E0717; NGA 6832.
* Saint-Mandrier Jetée
1884. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two red flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. The original 1-1/2 story masonry keeper's house stands next to the lighthouse. Delphine Gimbert's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Catherine Amat has a view from the harbor, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view and a very distant satellite view. This is typical prefabricated tourelle. Located at the end of the breakwater jetty of St.-Mandrier-sur-Mer, on the north side of the Cap Cépet peninsula and the south side of the Rade de Toulon. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-487; Admiralty E0716; NGA 6820.

Saint-Mandrier Jetée Light, Saint-Mandrier-sur-Mer, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Delphine Gimbert
Cap Cépet (Pointe Rascas) (2)
1950 (station established 1851). Inactive since 1992. 14.5 m (48 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising through the rear of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. The original Fresnel lens is on display at the Musée National de la Marine in Toulon. Photos of this lighthouse are difficult to find; the Ministère de la Culture's archive photo appears at right. Trabas has a distant view, Guyomard and Carceller also have a distant view of the station, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, an 11 m (36 ft) masonry tower rising from a masonry keeper's house, was destroyed in 1943, during World War II. Cap Cépet is the promontory sheltering the magnificent harbor of Toulon, the home port of France's Mediterranean Fleet. The cape is a restricted military area, closed to the public for many years. In 1992, the Navy relocated the light, but it also restored the lighthouse as a historical monument. Located on the point of the cape, about 2 km (1.2 mi) east of St.-Mandrier-sur-Mer. Site and tower closed (restricted military zone). ARLHS FRA-078.
Cap Cépet (Pointe Rascas) (3)
1992 (station established 1851). Active; focal plane 76 m (249 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white; the roof of the equipment shelter is red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located 155 m (500 ft) northeast of the historic lighthouse. Site and tower closed (restricted military zone). FR-1434; Admiralty E0714; NGA 6796.
Phare du Cap Cépet
Cap Cépet Light, Saint-Mandrier-sur-Mer
Ministère de la Culture photo
Grand-Rouveau
1863 (Léonce Reynaud). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white light occulting twice every 6 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; the lantern dome appears to be black. Trabas has a photo by Christophe Boxus, a good closeup is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The Île du Grand Rouveau is the westernmost of the Îles des Embiez, a group of five islands with associated reefs and shoals. The island has been acquired by a land conservancy, the Conservatoire du Littoral. Located on the highest point of the island, about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Sanary-sur-Mer. Accessible only by boat; there should be a distant view from the much larger Île d'Embiez, which is accessible by ferry from Six-Fours les Plages. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Conservatoire du Littoral. ARLHS FRA-019; FR-1431; Admiralty E0710; NGA 6760.
* Sanary-sur-Mer (2)
Date unknown (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone equipment room. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; lantern and gallery rail painted red. Andrei Singer has a photo, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original light was on a 6 m (20 ft) wood mast. Located at the end of the breakwater on the west side of the harbor at Sanary-sur-Mer; there's a good view from ferries leaving for the Île d'Embiez. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-467; Admiralty E0704; NGA 6764.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Switzerland | East: Liguria | South: Corsica | West: Marseille Area | Enclave: Monaco

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 7, 2006. Checked and revised April 23, 2014. Lighthouses: 56. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.