Lighthouses of Russia: Northern Khabarovsk Region

This page covers lighthouses of the northern half of Khabarovsk Krai, a huge province on Russia's far eastern coast. The northern coastline of the province faces the Sea of Okhotsk. The southern coastline faces the Tartar Strait, which separates the mainland from the large island of Sakhalin. This page includes lighthouses of the Okhotsky, Tuguro-Chumikansky and Nikolayevsky Districts; the only important port in this area is Nikolayevsk na Amure on the lower Amur River.

The region is named for Yerofey Khabarov, who explored the area for Russia in 1649-50. However, the region was also claimed by China, and in the 1689 Treaty of Nerchinsk Russia gave up its claim to the heart of the territory, the Amur Basin. The situation was reversed in the 19th century as Russians occupied the area, and in the 1858 Treaty of Aigun Russian sovereignty was established.

Nearly all the lighthouses in the region were built by the Soviet Union (1917-1991). During the Soviet period, few foreigners were able to visit Russia's Pacific ports, and even today tourism in the Russian far east is not well developed. As a result, very few photos are available for many of the lighthouses. If you have or can locate additional photos, please let me know.

Russian lighthouses are owned and operated by the Russian Navy, although some of them have civilian keepers. The Russian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк); mys is a cape, bukhta is a bay, zaliv is a larger bay or gulf, gavan' is a harbor, and ostrov is an island.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Lighthouses of the USSR - Far Eastern Seas
This Russian-language reference provides valuable historical information.
World of Lighthouses - Russia Far East
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Online List of Lights - Russia - Pacific Coast
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Marekan Light
Marekan Light, Okhotsk, summer 2012
Panoramio photo copyright Igor Savitskiy
used by permission

Okhotsky District Lighthouses

Note: The town of Okhotsk is Russia's oldest settlement on the Pacific; Cossacks established a camp here in 1643, and a fort was built in 1649. For nearly 200 years Okhotsk was the leading Russian port on the Pacific, accessible by river routes across the width of Siberia. After 1860 the newly-acquired warm-water port of Vladivostok rapidly took its place as a port and naval station. Since the fall of the Soviet Union the population of the town has fallen to about 4000.
Northwestern Sea of Okhotsk Lighthouses
Mys Duga Vostochnaya
1981. Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 34 m (112 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted red. Google has a satellite view of the station. Keeper's houses and other station buildings. This is one of the last major lighthouses built by the Soviet Union; the construction took five summers at this remote location. The lighthouse marks the southern tip of the Lisyan Peninsula, projecting into the Sea of Okhotsk about 225 km (140 mi) west of Magadan. Site status unknown. ARLHS ASR-144; Admiralty M8008.2; NGA 15566.
Mys Ushkalova
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) concrete tower, painted black with a white horizontal band. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory on the west side of the peninsula, about 30 km (20 mi) northwest of Mys Duga Vostochnaya. Site status unknown. Admiralty M8008.1; NGA 15566.2.
Inya
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 3.5 s off. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower painted black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a barrier beach about 100 km (60 mi) east of Okhotsk. Site status unknown. Admiralty M8008; NGA 15566.55.
Mys Marekan
1956. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white light, 4.5 s on, 7.5 s off. 34 m (112 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square stone base. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands, base painted white, lantern painted red. This is a staffed station. Igor Savitskiy's photo is above, he has another photo, good photo of the station, and a view from the sea, the lighthouse appeared on a 1984 Soviet postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view of the station. Located on the north shore of the Sea of Okhotsk about 320 km (200 mi) west of Magadan and 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Okhotsk. Site status unknown. ARLHS ASR-045; Admiralty M8007; NGA 15568.
Kukhtuy (Okhotsk)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 3 s. 18 m (56 ft) skeletal tower. Igor Savitskiy's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to Kukhtuy Bay, the harbor of Okhotsk. Site status unknown. Admiralty M8006; NGA 15569.
Kukhtuy Light
Kukhtuy Light, Okhotsk, September 2014
Panoramio photo copyright Igor Savitskiy; used by permission

Tuguro-Chumikansky District Lighthouse

Shantar Islands Lighthouse
Bol'shoy Shantar
1953. Active; focal plane 205 m (673 ft); white light, characteristic unknown. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view of the station. Located on the northern tip of Bolshoy Shantar, the largest of the Shantar Islands in the western Sea of Okhotsk. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty M7989.1.

Nikolayevsky District Lighthouses

Sakhalin Gulf Lighthouses
Note: Sakhalin Gulf is an elliptical basin at the southern end of the Sea of Okhotsk. It is about 160 km (100 mi) wide, separating the mainland from the northern end of the island of Sakhalin.
Mys Litke
1954. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); 9 m (30 ft) skeletal tower mounted atop a station building. The light is not seen clearly in several Wikimapia views of the cape nor in Alexander Barkov's distant view from the sea, but Google has a satellite view of the station. The station was established with a radiobeacon in 1943. A lighthouse was authorized in 1952, but plans for a taller tower were scaled back. Located on a prominent cape about 150 km (90 mi) northwest of Mys Menshikova. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7986; NGA 15582.
Menshikov (Mys Menshikova) (2)
1952 (station established 1944). Active; focal plane 101 m (331 ft); white light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. 19 m (62 ft) round tower, probably with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Google has only a very distant satellite view of the cape. The first light was on a pyramidal wood skeletal tower. Mys (Cape) Menshikova is the promontory on the west side of the entrance to Sakhalin Bay from the Sea of Okhotsk. Site status unknown. ARLHS ARS-149; Admiralty M7985; NGA 15584.

Nikolayevsk na Amure and Amur Estuary Lighthouses
Note: The Amur, the world's ninth largest river, forms a large estuary before emptying into the northern part of Amur Sound. Nikolayevsk na Amure is a port on the north side of the estuary about 80 km (50 mi) above the mouth.
Chkhil'skiy Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 4 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery painted black. The tower carries two triangular slatted daymarks painted white with a black vertical stripe. Alexander Barkov has a 2016 photo and a 2013 photo, Lightphotos.net has another of Barkov's photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is an entrance range for the Amur. Located on the north bank of the estuary about 8 km (5 mi) above the mouth. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M7983.4.
Chkhil'skiy Range Middle (?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); red flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The actual rear light appears to be on a much shorter tower; Google also has a satellite view of that light. Located about 120 m (130 yd) north northwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7983.41 (rear light).
Krasnoye (Pahtinskiy) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); continuous red light. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries a large rectangular slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Alexander Barkov has a closeup photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This is a downstream range guiding vessels leaving Nikolayevsk. Located on the north bank of the estuary about 1 km (0.6 mi) above Krasnoye. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M7983.71.
Krasnoye (Pahtinskiy) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries a large rectangular slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Alexander Barkov has a distant view (top of the tower is just to the right of the Russian flag); Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a point of land about 300 m (1000 ft) west of the rear light. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M7983.7.
* Nikolayevsk Range Front
1967. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Alexander Barkov has a view from the rear, and Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the protected harbor of Nikolayevsk. Located near the waterfront in the town. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M7984.4.
* Nikolayevsk Range Rear
1967. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Alexander Barkov's photo is at right, a closeup photo by Roman Zhelezov is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at a street intersection on a hillside about 100 m (330 ft) northwest of the front light. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty M7984.41.
Nikolayevsk Rear Light
Nikolayevsk Range Rear Light, Nikolayevsk, August 2012
Panoramio photo copyright Alexander Barkov; used by permission
Ostrov Vospri (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. A view from the estuary is at right, and Google has a satellite view. This is a westbound (upstream) range. Located at the eastern tip of Ostrov Vospri, a large island in the center of the estuary about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Nikolayevsk. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7983.5.
Mys Meo (Ostrov Vospri Range Rear, Ostrovnoy Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 56 m (184 ft); continuous red light. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower, carrying a daymark with a black vertical stripe. Alexander Barkov has another photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south bank of the estuary just north of Konstantinovka. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7983.6.
Mys Vasse Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); green flash every 3 s. 17 m (56 ft) square pyramidal wood skeletal tower, carrying a daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Alexander Barkov has a very distant view from the estuary, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides eastbound vessels. The front light is on a similar, shorter tower. Located on a sharp cape on the south bank of the estuary about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Ostrov Vospri. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7983.31.
Nizhniypronge Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); one long red flash every 7.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, and a cloud blocks Bing's satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Amur estuary. The front and middle lights are on short skeletal towers. Located on the Pronge peninsula about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of the tip. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.811.
Ostrov Vospri Light
Ostrov Vospri Range Front Light, Nikolayevsk-na-Amure, September 2009
Panoramio photo copyright sireuz; permission requested
Pronge (3)
1960 (station established 1943). Active; focal plane 101 m (331 ft); white flash every 9.7 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal white concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe; lantern painted red. Bing has a satellite view. The original light was on an 18 m (59 ft) triangular wood skeletal tower. It was overthrown by a severe storm in December 1950 and replaced by a shorter wood tower. Located on the heights of Mys Pronge, a narrow cape on the south side of the mouth of the Amur. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7983.
Mys Pronge Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); one long yellow flash every 7.5 s. Listed as a 7 m (23 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. The lighthouse in the photo at right is taller and lacks the vertical stripe. Google has only a distant satellite view of the peninsula. The station appears to be staffed. Located on the point of the Pronge peninsula, on the south side of the mouth of the Amur. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.91.
Mys Pronge Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); one long yellow flash every 7.5 s. 11 m (36 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available. Located 93 m (305 ft) from the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.911.
Pronge South Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); red light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. 11 m (36 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The function of this northbound range is not clear. Located on the south side of the cape. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.9.
Pronge South Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); red light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. 7 m (23 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located about 400 m (1/4 mi) north northeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.901.

Mys Pronge Light, mouth of the Amur River, August 2010
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Malefesenta

Amur Gulf Lighthouses
Note: The Amur Gulf is an irregular basin about 120 km (75 mi) long and roughly 30 km (19 mi) wide, connecting Sakhalin Gulf to the north with the Nevel'skoy Strait to the south; many geographers call it the northern part of the Tartar Strait. The sound is relatively shallow, with many shoals, so it is not easy to navigate.
Khussinskiy (Mys Khuzi) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Google has a very distant satellite view. This range guides vessels on a northeast to southwest reach toward the Nevel'skoy Strait. Located about 30 km (19 mi) south of the Amur River. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.4; NGA 15745.
Khussinskiy (Mys Khuzi) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 29 m (95 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a rectangular slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located 1114 m (0.7 mi) southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.41; NGA 15745.1.
Mys Dzhaore South Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. 17 m (56 ft) wood pyrmaidal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertcal stripe. The photo at right probably shows this light at the upper left, and Google has an indistinct satellite view of the station. The range guides northbound vessels. Mys Dzhaore is a prominent cape about 20 km (13 mi) south of Mys Pronge. Located on the northern point of the cape. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.31; NGA 15745.16.
Mys Dzhaore North Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); green light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. The photo at right probably shows this light at the right. The range guides southbound vessels. Located close to the South Range Rear Light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.35; NGA 15745.2.
Mys Dzhaore North Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); green light, 3 s on, 4.5 s off. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. The range guides southbound vessels. Located 373 m (1200 ft) south of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.351; NGA 15745.21.
Mys Uarke
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 133 m (436 ft); white flash every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) concrete tower "with platform, at building," according to the Admiralty. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view of the station. Located on a prominent cape about 50 km (30 mi) northwest of the Nevel'skoy Strait. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.2; NGA 15744.36.

South Range Rear (left) and North Range Front Lights, Mys Dzhaore, March 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Malefesenta

Nevel'skoy Strait Area Lighthouses
Note: The Nevel'skoy Strait is a narrow passage connecting the Amur Sound with the Tartar Strait to the south. It is named for Capt. Gennady Nevel'skoy, who sailed through the strait in 1849, proving to westerners that Sakhalin is an island. At its narrowest, the strait is only 7.3 km (4.5 mi) wide. Under Stalin, the Soviet government planned a railroad tunnel under the strait and actually began construction. These plans were abandoned after Stalin's death in 1953, but recently there has been renewed interest in the project.
Ukhtomskiy (Mys Tkhadgou) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. This range guides vessels approaching the Nevel'skogo Strait from the north. Located about 20 km (13 mi) northwest of Mys Lazareva. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.1; NGA 15744.4.
Ukhtomskiy (Mys Tkhadgou) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 21 m (69 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a rectangular slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located 1113 m (0.69 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty M7982.11; NGA 15744.41.
Lazarev (Mys Lazareva) (2)
1968 (station established 1943). Active; focal plane 252 m (827 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 13 m (43 ft) square tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one end of 1-story keeper's house. Entire structure, including the keeper's house, painted with black and white horizontal bands. A drawing from a UN publication is at right, Sergey Lysov's distant view is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on an 18 m (59 ft) triangular wood skeletal tower. Mys (Cape) Lazareva projects eastward, nearly closing off the narrow Nevel'skoy Strait between Sakhalin Bay and Tartar Strait. This landfall light for the passage has a range of about 40 km (25 mi). Located on a mountaintop above the point of the cape. Site status unknown. ARLHS ARS-147; Admiralty M7982; NGA 15744.45.

Mys Lazarev Light, Nevel'skoy Strait, 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Sergey Lysov

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Kamchatka and Magadan | Southeast: Northern Sakhalin | South: Southern Khabarovsk Krai

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted May 19, 2006. Checked and revised May 8, 2017. Lighthouses: 32. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.