Lighthouses of Russia: Kola Peninsula

The northwestern corner of Russia lies on the Barents Sea, an arm of the Arctic Ocean. The broad, southeastward-pointing Kola Peninsula (Kolskiy Poluostrov) separates the Barents Sea from the nearly-enclosed White Sea, which extends southward more than 500 km (300 mi). At the base of the peninsula, the fjord of Kola Bay cuts 57 km (35 mi) south from the ocean. During World War I, when Germany blocked the Baltic approaches to Russia, the Tsarist government built a railroad to the far northwestern corner of the country and founded the port of Murmansk on Kola Bay. Under the Soviet government, the Murmansk area became a major naval base and port of entry.

This page lists the lighthouses of the Kola Peninsula; there are separate pages for the Pechenga and Murmansk areas at the base of the peninsula. Special thanks to Michel Forand for his extensive research on the lighthouses of this area. However, we still need photos of many sites. If you have any photos of lighthouses in this area, or spot any such photos on the Internet, please let me know.

It may come as a surprise to lighthouse fans to learn that there are many lighthouses along these Arctic waterways, including more than a few nineteenth century towers built under the tsars. These lighthouses are surely among the most poorly known in the world. Under the Soviets, almost none of them were accessible to Westerners, and even today many areas in the Russian North are restricted. But cruise ships are beginning to visit these waters, so conditions for visiting the lighthouses may be improving.

Russian lighthouses are owned and operated by the Russian Navy, although some of them have civilian keepers. The Russian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк); mys (мыс) is a cape and ostrov (остров) is an island.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume L of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. Russian light list (RU) numbers are from Russian Navy Publication 2103 for the Barents Sea and 2105 for the White Sea, as reported by the Admiralty. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 115. The Russian light list, Огни и знаки (Lights and Signs), is not available online.

General Sources
Lighthouse photos
This Ukrainian site is a rich source of photos for Russian and Ukrainian lighthouses.
Reconstruction of Beacons in Russia
This page of before-and-after photos was posted by EDM, a Russian engineering company that has completed reconstruction and restoration of many historic lighthouses in the Russian North.
Lighthouses in Murmansk Oblast
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Arctic Coast of Russia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Russische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Kildin island North Light
Kil'din Island North Light, July 2008
Panoramio photo provided courtesy of Yarman Yan

Kolsky District Lighthouses

Kil'din Island Area Lighthouses
Note: Kil'din Island (Ostrov Kil'din) is just off the Barents Sea coast about 25 km (15 mi) east of Mys Letinsky. The roughly elliptical island is about 16 km (10 mi) long and 6 km (3.5 mi) wide. There is no permanent population, and due to military installations travel to the island is restricted.
Kil'dinskiy Zapadnny (Kil'din Island West) (2)
2006 (station establishment date unknown) . Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (17 ft) square pyramidal tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe on each face. EDM, which built the lighthouse, has photos (halfway down the page) of the new light and the original tower, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse is built near the southwest corner of Ostrov Kil'din (Kil'din Island) marking the entrance to the western entrance to the strait between the island and the mainland. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6403.8 (ex-L6414); RU 2103-0810; NGA 15288.
Kil'dinskiy Severnny (Kil'din Island North)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 84 m (276 ft); white flash every 6 s. 19 m (62 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. EDM doesn't mention this lighthouse, but it has been restored, as seen in Yarman Yan's 2008 photo and the closeup above. Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is built on the north side of Ostrov Kil'din (Kil'din Island) about 25 km (15 mi) east of the entrance to Kola Bay. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-041; Admiralty L6404; RU 2103-0795; NGA 15292.
Sunduki (?)
Date unknown. Active (?). 28 m (92 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This tower is listed by ARLHS and the Russian Lighthouse Award pages, but it does not appear on international light lists. Located at the northeastern point of Kil'din Island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ERU-123.
Kil'dinskiy Vostochny (Kil'din Island East)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red or green light, depending on direction, 1.5 s on, 4.5 s off. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, mounted on a square concrete base. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete; gallery rail is red. The lighthouse was restored and repainted by EDM in 2004, and the company has before and after photos (a little over 1/3 the way down the page). Yarman Yan posted the photo at right, another photo and a nice view are available, Lightphotos.net has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the southeastern side of Ostrov Kil'din (Kil'din Island) a short distance east of the settlement of Vostochny (East) Kil'din. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-042; Admiralty L6408; RU 2103-0850; NGA 15308.
Mys Prigonnyy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 4 s. 4 m (13 ft) square pyramidal white concrete tower. A. Kuznetcov has a photo, a distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a sharp point of land on the south side of Kil'din Island, marking the narrowest point of the passage between the island and the mainland. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6416; RU 2103-0835.
Zarubikha Vostochny
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); yellow flash every 3 s. 4 m (13 ft) yellow square pyramidal tower. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a sharp point of land on the south side of Kil'din Island, marking the narrowest point of the passage between the island and the mainland. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6417.8; RU 2103-0843; NGA 15310.
Mys Chevray
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. 9 m (30 ft) square wood pyramidal skeletal tower, covered by a slatted wood daymark painted red with a white diagonal stripe on each face. EDM restored the lighthouse and has before and after photos (first lighthouse on the page), Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a cape of the mainland opposite the eastern end of Kil'din Island. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-087; Admiralty L6418; RU 2103-0855; NGA 15312.
Kildin East Light
Kil'din Island East Light, 2005
Panoramio photo provided courtesy of Yarman Yan
Ostrov Malyy Oleniy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal tower painted white with a black top. Lightphotos.net has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Malyy Oleniy is a narrow island, about 8 km (5 mi) long and about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Ostrov Kil'din. Located on the eastern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6426; RU 2103-0860; NGA 15324.

Teriberka Area Lighthouses
Note: Founded in the 16th century, the historic fishing port of Teriberka is one of the oldest Russian settlements on the Barents Sea coast.
Mys Teriberskiy
1896. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); two flashes, green and then red, every 9.6 s. 13 m (43 ft) lantern and gallery mounted at one end of a 2-story metal-clad building. The metal siding is bright yellow; lantern painted red. Fog horn (two blasts every 30 s). A photo is at right, an August 2009 view from the sea is available, Wikimedia has a foggy distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The metal siding covers badly weathered masonry seen in an earlier photo. This was not a perfect solution; Lightphotos.net has a photo showing most of the siding on one side of the building ripped off by severe weather. This light stands at the end of a westward-pointing promontory about 90 km (56 mi) east of Murmansk, marking the entrance to a bay leading to the settlement of Teriberka. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-024; Admiralty L6440; RU 2103-0905; NGA 15336.
Ostrov Gavrilovskiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. The front of the lighthouse is covered by a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. A 2009 distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island off the coast about 40 km (25 mi) east of Teriberka. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-094; Admiralty L6446; RU 2103-0930; NGA 15344.
Ostrov Bol'shoy Oleniy
Date unknown (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); three white flashes, short-long-short, every 14 s. 24 m (79 ft) round concrete tower with gallery; lantern removed. Tower painted yellow with white trim. EDM restored the lighthouse in 2005, removing the lantern and adding solar power. The company has before and after photos (third from last lighthouse on the page). Another "before" photo and a second "after" photo are also available, Lightphotos.net has a view of the station from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Evgeny Grigor'jan's photo of the station shows a building that could be the original lighthouse or keeper's house. Located near the northwestern end of the island, just off the coast near Porcnicha. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-084; Admiralty L6472; RU 2103-0980; NGA 15376.
Teriberskiy Light
Teriberskiy Light, Teriberka
unattributed photo from lighthouse21v.narod.ru
Ostrov Bol'shoy Oleniy Vostochny
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 48 m (158 ft); two quick flashes every 6 s, white or red depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal tower covered with a daymark painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the location. Located at the southeastern tip of the island. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6476; NGA 15380.

Lovozersky District and Ostrovnoy Lighthouses

Kharlovka Area Lighthouses
Guba Zolotaya
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal tower covered with a daymark painted black with a white vertical stripe on each face. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a steep promontory about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of the Kharlovskiy lighthouse (next entry). Site status unknown. Admiralty L6490; NGA 15404.
Kharlovskiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 121 m (397 ft); three white flashes every 13.8 s. 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted pale yellow. Keeper's house and other station buildings. EDM restored this lighthouse, removing its lantern, in 2006. The company has before and after photos (third lighthouse on the page). Another pre-restoration photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This light is somewhat undistinguished in appearance, but its great height gives it a range of 42 km (26 mi), making it one of the most powerful lights of the Arctic. Located on the highest point of Ostrov Kharlov, which shelters of the harbor of the Kharlovka settlement. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-096; Admiralty L6494; RU 2103-1050; NGA 15408.
Vostochnaya Litsa
Date unknown (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two flashes, white, red or green depending on direction, every 12 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and a small modern lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Keeper's house and other station buildings. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view of the station (a wisp of cloud hides the tower). Located on the north side of the entrance to a fjord leading to the settlement of Vostochnaya Litsa. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-033; Admiralty L6506; RU 2103-1055; NGA 15416.
Mys Cherniy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); white flash every 5 s. 17 m (56 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted red with a white horizontal band. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located on a promontory about 10 km (6 mi) east of Drozdovka. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-018; Admiralty L6516; RU 2103-1090; NGA 15432.

Ostrovnoy (Svyatoy Nos Area) Lighthouses
Note: Ostrovnoy is a town (a former Soviet naval base) on the central Barents Sea coast of the Kola Peninsula. The town's population of about 2000 is less than half its size during the late Soviet period. The town is under federal administration, separated from the Lovozersky District. Svyatoy Nos (Svyatoy Point) is a narrow peninsula, about 16 km (10 mi) long, that projects northward into the Barents Sea east of Ostrovnoy and about 65 km (40 mi) west of the entrance to the White Sea. The cape protects Ostrovnoy from easterly gales.
Ostrov Chaichiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); flash every 1.5 s, white or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal tower, red with a white diagonal stripe. No photo available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. This light marks the northern entrance to Ostrovnoy harbor. Located at the west end of the island in Svyatoy Bay, about 15 km (9 mi) northwest of Ostrovnoy. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty L6520; RU 2103-1175; NGA 15452.
Ostrov Medvezhiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower on a square base, painted yellow. Abandoned 1-story keeper's house. A closeup photo is available, another photo shows the station, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the west end of an island in Svyatoy Bay, the bay sheltered by Svyatoy Nos. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty L6521; RU 2103-1195; NGA 15444.
Svyatoy Nos
1863. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) yellow concrete tapered octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is painted a yellow-orange (peach) color; the lower half of the lantern is painted red and the upper half white. Bing has a satellite view. Sergey Gruzdev's photo at right shows this remarkable lighthouse, the oldest surviving lighthouse in the Russian Arctic. Russia's first steam-powered foghorn was installed here in 1872, and the Fresnel lens installed in 1890 remains in use. Recently restored, the lighthouse was declared a national historic monument in 2002. Located on the west side of Svyatoy Nos, about 3 km (1.8 mi) south southeast of the tip of the peninsula. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-022; Admiralty L6534; RU 2103-1205; NGA 15464.
Mys Koroviy Nos
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe. No photo available, and clouds block Bing's satellite view. Located on a promontory near the east side of the base of Svyatoy Nos. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-248; Admiralty L6537; RU 2105-3005; NGA 15468.
Svyatoy Nos Light
Svyatoy Nos Light, Ostrovnoy, March 2007
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Sergey Gruzdev

Kola Peninsula East Coast Lighthouses
Note: These lighthouses guides vessels entering the White Sea from the Barents Sea (the waters south of Svyatoy Nos are considered part of the White Sea). This is an unpopulated coast, with no permanent settlements. The coast faces a strait, narrowing in the south to 50 km (30 mi) wide, that leads to the main basin of the White Sea. In Russia this strait is called the White Sea Throat (Gorlo Belogo Morja). Because the White Sea is entirely surrounded by Russian territory, it is considered an inland waterway.
Mys Bol'shoy Gorodetskiy
1899. Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); three white flashes every 13.8 s. 19 m (62 ft) 2-stage cylindrical brick tower, lower half square and upper half octagonal, with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The building has been restored and is covered with yellow siding; lantern painted black. Originally the upper stage of the tower was unpainted red brick and the rest of the building was painted yellow. Fog horn (Morse code "U": two shorts and one long, every 30 s). A good photo is available, and Google has a satellite view of the station. A 1982 photo shows the lighthouse in fairly good condition, but another photo shows the lighthouse to have been in very poor condition before restoration; a former stucco covering of the brick had peeled off almost entirely. This lighthouse marks the point where ships bound for the White Sea begin turning southward into the entrance. Located on a headland on the northeast corner of the Kola Peninsula. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-240; Admiralty L6553; RU 2105-3030; NGA 15488.
Mys Ostryye Ludki
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 133 m (436 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, covered by a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe on each face. No photo available, and Google's satellite view has no detail in the area. Located high on a bluff about 30 km (19 mi) northwest of the Tersko-Orlovskiy lighthouse. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-263; Admiralty L6556; RU 2105-3035; NGA 15492.
Tersko-Orlovskiy
1842. Active; focal plane 88 m (289 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 20 m (66 ft) round old-style, stucco-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery; the tower probably includes keeper's quarters. The unpainted gray stucco is chipping off, revealing patches of the red brick. Lantern painted red. Fog horn (five blasts every 60 s). The August 2010 photo at right shows that the lighthouse was restored that summer. Wikimapia has several older photos, another good photo is available, Lightphotos.net has a 2013 view by D. Lobusov, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has an excellent satellite view of the station. This historic light station is located on a headland north of the easternmost tip of the Kola Peninsula. Site open; tower status unknown. ARLHS ERU-069; Admiralty L6560; RU 2105-3045; NGA 15496.
Tersko-Orlovskiy Light
Tersko-Orlovskiy Light, White Sea Throat, August 2010
LiveJournal photo copyright Jim Monchegorsk; permission requested
Ostrov Veshnyak
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 5 s. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Wikimapia has a closeup photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo, there is a view from the sea (1/3 the way down the page), and Google has a good satellite view. This light marks the extreme eastern end of the Kola Peninsula. Located on an island off Tri Ostrova ("Three Islands"). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-072; Admiralty L6564; RU 2105-3050; NGA 15500.
Ostrova Ponoyskiye Ludki
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three white flashes every 12 s. 18 m (59 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, covered by a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe on each face. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry off the mouth of the Ponoy fjord near Korabel'noye. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-165; Admiralty L6572; RU 2105-3380; NGA 15512.
Ostrov Danilov
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower covered on three sides by a slatted daymark. A photo (halfway down the page) shows the lighthouse restored and the original lantern discarded on the ground. Lightphotos.net has a view from the sea, but Google has only a very distant satellite view of the island. Located on a small island on the west side of the passage into the White Sea, a short distance offshore and about 35 km (22 mi) northeast of Sosnovka. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-161; Admiralty L6576; RU 2105-3390; NGA 15516.
Sosnovetskiy (Ostrov Sosnovets) (5)
Date unknown (station established 1823). Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); two white flashes every 7.2 s. 31 m (102 ft) cylindrical iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern painted red. Fog horn (eight blasts every 48 s). EDM restored the lighthouse in 2006 and has before and after photos (fourth from last lighthouse on the page). The "after" photo is at right, a distant view and a closer view are available, Lightphotos.net has an aerial photo, and there's a closeup of the Fresnel lens in action, but Google has only a distant satellite view of the island. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the 1909 lighthouse, a cast iron tower with central cylinder. Located on an island (Ostrov Sovnovets) about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of Sosnovka. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-066; Admiralty L6580; RU 2105-3395; NGA 15520.
Ostrov Sosnovets Light
Ostrov Sosnovets Light, Sosnovka, 2006
photo copyright EDM Manufacturing Company, Severomorsk

Tersky District Lighthouses

Kola Peninsula South Coast Lighthouses
Pulon'ga
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white flash every 7 s. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, covered by a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe on each face. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo and a distant view, but Google has only a distant satellite view of the area. This light marks the narrowest passage of the White Sea Throat. Located on a headland about 3 km (2 mi) east of the mouth of the Pulon'ga River on the southeast coast of the Kola Peninsula. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-269; Admiralty L6590; RU 2105-3410; NGA 15532.
Mys Nikodimskiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) octagonal pyramidal tower, covered with wood siding, with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with black and white vertical stripes; lantern painted red. Fog horn (three blasts every 30 s). EDM restored the lighthouse in 2006 and has before and after photos (halfway down the page). A fine 2012 closeup photo is available, Alexander Naynik also has a closeup photo, Lightphotos.net has another closeup, and a very distant view from the sea is available, but Google has only a very distant satellite view of the cape. This light marks the west side of the southern entrance to the White Sea Throat. Located on a headland on the south side of the Kola Peninsula about 40 km (25 mi) east of Tetrino. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-262; Admiralty L6596; RU 2105-3435; NGA 15544.
Kashkarantsy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 24 m (79 ft) concrete tower with lantern and a small gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. EDM restored the lighthouse in 2006 and has before and after photos (last lighthouse on the page). A 2008 photo is at right, Wikimedia has Sergey Gruzdev's photo, Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, and another recent photo is available, but Google's satellite view has no detail in this area. This lighthouse marks the north side of the entrance to Kandalaksha Bay. Located on the south side of the Kola Peninsula at Kashkarantsy, about 25 km (15 mi) west of Varzuga. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-038; Admiralty L6610; RU 2105-5425; NGA 15576.

Kashkarantsy Light
Kashkarantsy Light, Kashkarantsy, 2008
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by the GEL


Kandalaksha Bay Lighthouses
Note: Kandalaksha Bay, the narrow northwest-pointing arm of the White Sea, is really an estuary leading to the port of Kandalaksha, a historic town settled as early as the 11th century.
Mys Turiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (128 ft); white flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) pyramidal tower with black and white diagonal stripes. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the cape. Located on a prominent headland on the north side of lower Kandalaksha Bay. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6614; RU 2105-5795; NGA 15724.
Ostrov Vol'ostrov
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); white flash every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) square wood skeletal pyramid partially enclosed with horizontal slats. Wikimapia has two photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the highest point of an island about 15 km (9 mi) northwest of Mys Turiy. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty L6616; RU 2105-5800; NGA 15720.
Ostrov Nablyundeniya (2)
2008. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous yellow light. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal tower, painted red. Ivan Orlov has a 2010 photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. NGA describes this light as a "white house, red roof, and lantern gallery, mast in front." Located on an island marking the entrance to the bay leading to Umba, on the north shore of the estuary. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6618; RU 2105-5817; NGA 15716.
Ostrova Stolbovyye Ludy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); red flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) pyramidal tower, painted black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a skerry in the entrance to Por'ya Guba, a bay on the north side of Kandalaksha Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6624; RU 2105-5850; NGA 15644.
Ostrov Sredniye Ludy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The upper half of the tower is surrounded by a round vertically slatted daymark. The daymark is supposed to be painted white with a red horizontal band, but in Serge Gorbartov's 2006 photo at right all the paint has worn off the wood. Wikimapia has a photo of the base of the tower with a former lantern sitting beside it, but the island is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Located on an island in the middle of the lower end of Kandalaksha Bay. Accessible only by boat. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty L6682; RU 2105-5600; NGA 15692.
Mys Kochinnyy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) gray tower with a white lantern. No photo available, and Google has only a very distant satellite view of the area. Located on a headland on the north side of the estuary about 60 km (37 mi) southeast of Kandalaksha, marking a point where the estuary narrows sharply. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-246; Admiralty L6630; RU 2105-5880; NGA 15636.
Ostrova Rezanovy Ludy (2)
2011 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 4 s. 17 m (56 ft) round metal tower, painted white with a brown horizontal band. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Bing's fuzzy satellite view. The earlier light was a 13 m (43 ft) "truncated pyramid," white with a red vertical stripe. Located at the southeast end of an island off the north shore of the bay opposite Lesozavodskiy. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-270; Admiralty L6632; RU 2105-5890; NGA 15632.
Ostrov Sredniye Ludy Light
Ostrov Sredniye Ludy Light, Kandalaksha Bay, May 2006
Panoramio photo copyright Serge Gorbartov; permission requested

Kandalakshsky District Lighthouse

Ostrov Kibirinskiye Ludy Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); flash every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 17 m (56 ft) yellow wooden tower with a black lantern. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The front light, 900 m (0.56 mi) southeast, is described as a white square truncated pyramidal structure with a red vertical stripe. Located on an island about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of Kandalaksha. Site status unknown. ARLHS ERU-163; Admiralty L6636.1; RU 2105-5911; NGA 15624.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Eastern White Sea | West: Murmansk Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 7, 2005. Checked and revised November 24, 2014. Lighthouses: 38. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.