Lighthouses of Sénégal
- Ziguinchor Region (Casamance) Lighthouse
Note: Known traditionally as Casamance, the Ziguinchor region
is the strip of southernmost Sénégal wedged between The Gambia and Guinea-Bissau. This area was originally colonized by Portugal; it was transferred to French Sénégal in 1888.
- #Pointe de Diogué
- Date unknown. Inactive at least since 2013 (possibly much longer).
21 m (69 ft) "pylon" (more likely a skeletal tower) mounted on a
triangular platform supported by piles. No photo available, and the tower is now missing from Google's satellite
view. Diogué is a fishing port on the north side of the mouth of
the Casamance River. Located offshore in the north side of the Casamance River
just south of Diogué. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
ex-Admiralty D3038; ex-NGA 24476.
Southern Thiès Region Lighthouses
- * Joal
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light occulting once
every 4 s. 13 m (43 ft) "pylon," according to NGA; this lighthouse
may be similar to the M'bour and Guet N'Dar lighthouses (a concrete skeletal
tower). No photo available, and the tower has not been found in Google's satellite view. Located on the beach in Joal-Fadiouth, a fishing
town about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of M'bour. Site probably open, tower closed.
Admiralty D3019; NGA 24444.
- * M'bour
- Date unknown (about 2002). Active; focal plane about 13 m (43 ft); light
pattern unknown. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete skeletal
tower. The tower is unpainted white concrete. Nicolas Renous has a closeup photo. M'bour is a city on the coast
about 60 km (38 mi) southeast of Dakar. There is no natural protected harbor,
so the fishermen of M'bour traditionally land their pirogues directly on the
beach. According to one source (no longer online), the French city of Concarneau
donated funds in 2001 to build a quay and a lighthouse. Apparently located
close to the beach and the covered market in downtown M'bour where the fishermen
sell their catch. Site open, tower closed. This light is not listed by the
Admiralty or by NGA.
- * Rufisque
- Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 12
m (39 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 12 m (39 ft)
square concrete or masonry tower. Nelson Jaramillo has a 2016 distant view, another distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The previous light is described by NGA as a "black metal framework" tower, and a small photo
(halfway down the page) of that tower is available. The original light had a focal plane of 16 m (52 ft); it was replaced in 1913 by a short skeletal tower atop a rectangular multistory building. Located on a promontory in Rufisque, a city about 20
km (13 mi) west of Dakar, on the opposite side of the Baie de Gorée.
Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SEN-008; Admiralty D3018; NGA 24440.
- * Gorée (2?)
- Date unknown (station established 1843). Active; focal plane 21
m (69 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice
every 6 s. 4 m (13 ft) square 1-story concrete equipment room; the
light is shown from a small metal tower atop the building. Metal tower
painted red, the rest white. Wyndham Whynot contributed the photo
at right, and Google has a satellite
view. The Île de Gorée is an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of the
Dakar waterfront. Settled by Portuguese traders as early as 1444, occupied by the Dutch in 1588, and taken by the French
in 1677, it was the first European toehold in West Africa. It is widely regarded as having been a regional center for the slave trade, although historians have shown that very few slaves actually passed through the island. Now a historic site with several museums, it is accessible by frequent passenger
ferries from Dakar. The lighthouse is located at the south end of
the island in front of the Castel de Gorée. The original light
was shown from within the fort. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SEN-006;
Admiralty D3010; NGA 24404.
Gorée Light, Dakar, June 2008
photo copyright Wyndham Whynot; used by permission
Entrée Feu Vert (North Jetty)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green light, 2 s
on, 2 s off. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted white with
a green top. Google has a satellite
view. Located at the south end of the north breakwater enclosing
Dakar harbor. Site and tower closed, but there's a good view from
ferries to Gorée. ARLHS SEN-005; Admiralty D3012; NGA 24408.
Entrée Feu Rouge (South Jetty)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red light occulting
four times every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted
white with a red top. Lantern removed. A photo and a second photo are available, and Google has a satellite
view. Located at the end of the main jetty on the south side of
the entrance to Dakar harbor. Site and tower closed, but there's a
good view from ferries to Gorée. ARLHS SEN-007; Admiralty D3013;
- * Cap
- Date unknown (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft);
red flash every 5 s; also at focal plane 48 m (157 ft) a continuous red or
white light, depending on direction. Fresnel lens in use. This unusual lighthouse has a rectangular
cylindrical tower with two lanterns, one higher than the other, each with
a gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Building painted white, lanterns
and galleries red. A photo by Dorothy Voorhees is at right, Mark Moxon has posted a photo,
Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard
view of the original lighthouse. The Presqu'île de Cap Vert peninsula
is shaped roughly like a boot, with the Pointe des Almadies at the heel; this
lighthouse is at the toe, about 7 km (4 mi) south of the city, marking the
entrance to the sheltered waters of Dakar harbor. Site open, tower closed.
Upper light: ARLHS SEN-001; Admiralty D3008; NGA 24396. Lower light: ARLHS
SEN-002; Admiralty D3008.2; NGA 24400.
Cap Manuel Light, Dakar, December 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dorothy Voorhees
- **** Les
Mamelles (Cap Vert)
- 1864. Active; focal plane 120 m (394 ft); white flash every 5 s.
16 m (52 ft) cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached
to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. 2nd order Fresnel lens
in use. Entire structure painted white. A photo is at the top of this page, Thom Haslam has a good 2006 photo, Isidore Boullu has a good closeup,
Capt. Peter Mosselberger's distant photo
posted by Trabas shows the dramatic appearance of the cape from the
sea, the French Wikipedia has an article
on the history of the light station, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Bing has a satellite
view. This is one of the world's great lighthouses, guiding ships
around the western tip of Africa. Its light has a range listed at
57 km (almost 36 mi). Sadly, poor maintenance of the aging equipment
hinders the operation of the light. A report at the end of 2007 showed
an erosion rate of 2 m (6.5 ft) per year. Located on one of two rounded
hills called Les Mamelles, about 7.5 km (4.5 mi) southeast of the
Pointe des Almadies and 9 km (5.5 mi) northwest of Dakar. Site open,
tower open to guided tours. ARLHS SEN-003; Admiralty D3004; NGA 24392.
des Almadies (N'Gor)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two white flashes
every 6 s. 17 m (56 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted
white with narrow black horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Pierre Manicacci has a photo, Thom
Haslam has a sunset view,
Trabas has a photo
taken from the sea by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, and Google has a satellite
view. This is the westernmost lighthouse of Africa, standing in
longitude 17° 32.6' W. Located on a reef just off the Pointe des
Almadies, which is the ultimate tip of Cap Vert, about 6 km (4 mi)
west of N'Gor and 13 km (8 mi) northwest of Dakar. Accessible only
by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS SEN-004; Admiralty D3002; NGA
Chausée des Almadies Light, Dakar, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by jean cl
Saint-Louis du Sénégal Lighthouses
- * Saint-Louis Gandiole
- 1843. Active (?); focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light occulting three
times every 12 s. 26 m (85 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower, painted
with black and white horizontal bands. Lantern removed. A pilot station is next to the lighthouse.
Philippe Boissel has a 2008 photo,
Sara Hollerich has a photo, a 2011 photo is available, and Google has a satellite
du Sénégal is a historic city built on islands in the lower
Sénégal River, near the northern border of the country. The river flows southward
from the city, behind a barrier beach, for about 50 km (30 mi) before entering
the sea. The lighthouse is located on the mainland beach opposite the mouth of the river. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SEN-009; Admiralty
D2998; NGA 24384.
- Saint-Louis (Guet N'Dar)
- Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every
6 s. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical concrete skeletal tower, unpainted. A
closeup and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the beach of the barrier island at Saint-Louis.
Site open, tower presumably closed. Admiralty D2996; NGA 24380.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
des Almadies (1895-?), predecessor of the Chaussée des Almadies
light. No photo available. ARLHS SEN-010.
Notable faux lighthouses:
de Dakar is a tall harbor control tower located on the south side
of the entrance to the commercial harbor. It is not listed as an aid to navigation. Google has a satellite view.
Adjoining pages: North: Mauritania | South: Guinea-Bissau
| West: Cape Verde | Enclave: The Gambia
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted August 26, 2005. Checked and revised December 2, 2016. Lighthouses:
15. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at