Lighthouses of Italy: Western Sicily

The largest island in the Mediterranean, Sicily is separated from the tip of the Italian peninsula by the narrow Strait of Messina. Known as Sicilia in Italian, the island has an ancient history and has had many rulers. By the early nineteenth century, the Kingdom of Sicily and the mainland Kingdom of Naples had been united under a Bourbon monarchy as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. During Italy's unification, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was conquered by Sardinia in 1860-61 and incorporated in the new Kingdom of Italy in 1861. Today the island is an autonomous region of the Italian Republic.

Sicily is divided into nine provinces, eight of which include portions of the coastline. This page includes lighthouses of the three western provinces of Agrigento, Trapani, and Palermo. Lighthouses of Messina, Catania, Siracusa, and Ragusa are on the Eastern Sicily page.

The Italian word for a lighthouse is faro, plural fari. This name is usually reserved for the larger coastal lights; smaller beacons are called fanali. Aids to navigation are operated and maintained by the Italian Navy's Servizio dei Fari. Lighthouse properties are naval reservations, generally fenced and closed to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. EF numbers are from the Italian Navy's light list, Elenco dei Fari e Segnali da Nebbia. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Fari e Segnalamenti
Lighthouse information from the Italian Navy's Servizio dei Fari.
Lighthouses in Italy
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Cyberlights Lighthouses - Italy
Photos of Italian lighthouses by Egidio Ferrighi, posted by Gary Richardson and Anna Klein.
Online List of Lights - Italy
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Neal's Lighthouses - Italy
Photos and blog entries by Neal Doan.
Wikimedia: Lighthouses in Italy
Photos available in Wikimedia Commons.
World of Lighthouses - Italy
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Italienische Leuchttürme auf Historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Faro di Omo Morto
Punta Omo Morto Light, Ustica, October 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by David Salvatori

Agrigento Province Lighthouses

Pelagie Islands Lighthouses
Note: The Pelagie Islands (Isole Pelagie) consist of three small islands, Lampedusa, Linosa, and Lampione, located roughly 200 km (125 mi) south of Sicily and 110 km (70 mi) east of Tunisia. The southernmost territories of Italy, these islands are considered by geologists to be part of the African continent. Although remote, Linosa and Lampedusa are popular tourist destinations and are readily accessible by ferry from Porto Empedocle. The total population of the islands is about 6000.
* Punta Beppe Tuccio
1890. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Simone Petralia has a closeup photo, also a second photo, Wikimedia has a distant view, Capt. Peter Mosselberger has a view from the sea posted by the Degree Confluence Project, Trabas has the same view, and Bing has a satellite view. The closest of the islands to Sicily, Linosa is approximately square in shape and about 3 km (2 mi) in diameter. This lighthouse is located off the Via Fariglioni on the northeast corner of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-123; EF-3054; Admiralty E2082; NGA 10468.
* Punta Arena Bianca
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) post atop a square stone tower. Bing has a satellite view. More information is needed on this station; the current tower appears to be built on the foundations of an earlier lighthouse or keeper's house. Located on the Via Arena Bianca at the southwestern corner of Linosa. Site presumed open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-304; EF-3058; Admiralty E2080; NGA 10472.
* Capo Grecale (Lampedusa)
1855 (?). Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); white flash every 5 s. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete; the lantern dome is gray metallic. Giorgio Cardellini's photo is at right, Stefano Martelli has a photo, Martino Motti has a 2010 photo, Luca Siragusa has an aerial photo, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a good satellite view. This is Italy's southernmost lighthouse. Located at the end of the Via Grecale on the northeastern tip of Lampedusa, north of Cala Creca. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-025; EF-3038; Admiralty E2088; NGA 10444.
* [Capo Ponente]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 110 m (361 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 5 m (17 ft) round "bottle" light, painted white. Google has a satellite view. Located atop a spectacular cliff at the western tip of Lampedusa. Site open, tower closed. EF-3052; Admiralty E2086; NGA 10464.

Capo Grecale Light, Lampedusa, August 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Giorgio Cardellini
Lampione
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) lantern mounted atop a small masonry keeper's house. Wikimedia has a photo and a view from the sea, and the light is seen in an aerial photo (first photo on the page) by the Comune di Lampedusa e Linosa. Bing has only a distant satellite view of the island. Lampione means "lamppost," and with this light the tiny island has somewhat that appearance. Located atop the islet of Lampione, about 15 km (9 mi) west of Lampedusa. Accessible only by helicopter. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-301; EF-3064; Admiralty E2084; NGA 10476.

Licata Lighthouses
Licata Diga di Levante
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, upper 2/3 painted green. Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the new east breakwater of Licata. Site status unknown. ARLHS ITA-199; EF-2962; Admiralty E1908; NGA 10132.
* San Giacomo (Licata)
1895. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 5 s. 37.5 m (123 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square masonry base. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete; the lantern dome is gray metallic; the base is unpainted with white trim. Carlo Dambra's photo is at right, Trabas has Klaus Potschien's closeup photo, Salvatore Lombardo has a 2011 photo, a third photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a good satellite view. The lighthouse is located at the south end of the Corso Argentina, near the end of a large mole that helps shelter the east side of the harbor of Licata. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-157; EF-2954; Admiralty E1904; NGA 10128.
* Licata Molo di Levante
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Upper third of the lighthouse painted red, lower 2/3 white. Trabas has a photo by Klaus Kern, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the original west breakwater of Licata, now inside the newer outer breakwater. Apparently accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-2960; Admiralty E1906; NGA 10136.

Porto Empedocle Lighthouse
* Capo Rossello
Date unknown (station established 1859). Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has Klaus Potschien's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the west side of Baia di Rossello, about 6 km (4 mi) west of the harbor of Porto Empedocle. Site status unknown, but it should be possible to view the lighthouse from nearby beaches. ARLHS ITA-034; EF-2998; Admiralty E1922; NGA 10112.

Sciacca Lighthouse
* Capo San Marco
Date unknown (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) concrete post light centered on a 1-story equipment building. Entire structure is white. Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Via del Faro about 5 km (3 mi) west of the harbor of Sciacca. Site should be open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-038; EF-3006; Admiralty E1928.5; NGA 10094.
San Giacomo Light
San Giacomo Light, Licata, July 2008
Panoramio photo copyright Carlo Dambra
used by permission

Trapani Province Lighthouses

Pantelleria Lighthouses
Note: Pantelleria is an island in the Strait of Sicily, about 100 km (60 mi) southwest of the southwestern coast of Sicily and 70 km (45 mi) east of the coast of Tunisia. The island is about 15 km (9 mi) long and 8 km (5 mi) wide and has a permanent population of about 6000. It is attached to the Sicilian province of Trapani and is accessible by air or by ferry from Trapani.
* Punta San Leonardo (Pantelleria)
Date unknown (station established 1881). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 3 s. Light mounted atop a 2-story building. Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to the harbor of Pantelleria, and the northwestern end of the island. Site presumably open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-110; EF-3018; Admiralty E2098; NGA 10500.
* Punta Spadillo
1884. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Gianluca Carcinella's photo is at right, a 2008 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northeast side of the island, about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of the town of Pantelleria. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-146; EF-3014; Admiralty E2094; NGA 10480.
* [Punta Tracino]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 7 m (23 ft) white round cylindrical tower. A photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a sharp cape at Tracino on the northeast coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-253; EF-3037; Admiralty E2107; NGA 10484.
Faro di Punta Spadillo
Punta Spadillo Light, Pantellaria, March 1999
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Gianluca Carnicella
* [Punta Limarsi]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 5 m (17 ft) round "bottle" light, painted white. Bing has a satellite view. Located atop a sharp, rocky point at the southeastern tip of Pantelleria. Site open, tower closed. EF-3036; Admiralty E2106; NGA 10492.

Mazara and Marsala (Southwest Coast) Lighthouses
* Capo Granitola
Date unknown (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white light, 3 s on, 7 s off. 35 m (115 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Paolo Alfieri's photo is at right, Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Capo Granitola is the most prominent cape at the southwestern corner of Sicily. Located on the point of the cape about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southeast of Torretta Granitola and 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Mazara del Vallo. ARLHS ITA-024; EF-3010; Admiralty E1930; NGA 10092.
Capo Feto
1915. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 10 m (33 ft) post light mounted on a square building. Tower painted white with one black horizontal band. Marcello Romano has a photo (third photo on the page), and Bing has a satellite view. This light appears to be accessible, so the scarcity of photos is puzzling. The area is part of a nature reserve. Located on a headland about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the harbor of Mazara del Vallo. Site status unknown. ARLHS ITA-190; EF-3076; Admiralty E1938; NGA 10076.
Marsala Molo di Ponente (2)
1884 (?) (station established 1849). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The entire lighthouse is painted white (or may be unpainted white concrete). Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, a view from the waterfront and a 2010 view from the sea are available, Google has a street view along the mole. and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the original end of the Molo Cristoforo Columbo, the west inner breakwater of Marsala (the mole has been extended). The absence of closeup photos suggests that this mole is not open to the public. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-102; EF-3080; Admiralty E1940; NGA 10064.

Aegadian Islands Lighthouses
Note: The Aegadian Islands (Isole Egadi) are an archipelago of mountainous islands scattered off the west coast of Sicily west of Trapani. The principal islands of Favignana, Levanzo, and Marettimo are all accessible by ferry from Trapani.
* Punta Marsala (2)
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Adjacent to the lighthouse is a modern 2-story concrete or masonry building, also painted white. Alessandro Pochì has a 2009 closeup, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the southeastern tip of Favignana, only 7 km (4.5 mi) from the mainland of Sicily. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. ARLHS ITA-135; EF-3100; Admiralty E1948; NGA 10016.
Faro di Capo Granitola
Capo Granitola Light, Mazara del Vallo, August 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Paolo Alfieri
* Punta Sottile (2)
1904 (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 8 s. 38 m (125 ft) round masonry tower rising from a 1-story U-shaped keeper's house. The lighthouse appears to be unpainted white concrete; lantern dome is gray metallic. Greg Robbins's photo is at right, Piero Fontana has a photo, amateur radio operator Albert Mattei (IT9MRM) has posted several good photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. One web site says the lighthouse had a "radical transformation" in 1904, but this transformation seems to have been a new tower. The lighthouse is similar but not identical to the San Vito lo Capo lighthouse. Located at the western tip of Favignana, the largest and most populous of the islands. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-145; EF-3104; Admiralty E1952; NGA 10020.
* Punta Libeccio (Marettimo)
1867. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 24 m (79 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with a very narrow dark green horizontal band; a similar band is painted around the keeper's house. Dorthe Jensen has a 2008 photo, Filippo Fiamma has a view from the sea, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, another photo is available (2/3 of the way down the page), Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the southwest coast of Marettimo, the most remote of the islands, about 35 km (22 mi) west of Trapani. Access is a bit uncertain, but there is a road near the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-133; EF-3112; Admiralty E1956; NGA 10004.


Punta Sottile Light, Favignana, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Greg Robbins

* Capo Grosso (Levanzo)
1958. Active; focal plane 68 m (223 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Tower painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Ascanio Vitale has a photo, a closeup is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located atop a spectacular cliff on the northern tip of Levanzo. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-208; EF-3120.3; Admiralty E1962; NGA 10000.
Isolotto Formica
Date unknown (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 4 s. 20 m (66 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a large 3-story factory building. Tower painted white. Davide Tumino has posted a distant view of the island and lighthouse, a 2008 view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Isolotto Formica is a small island halfway between Levanzo and the mainland of Sicily. The island is covered by a complex of buildings, an abandoned tonnara (tuna cannery). Accessible only by boat, but there's a distant view from ferries between Trapani and Levanzo.

Trapani Lighthouses
Scoglio Palumbo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, adjacent or attached to an octagonal 1-story keeper's house. Tower painted white. Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, David Salvatori has a 2007 view from the Trapani waterfront, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a rock about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of the harbor entrance at Trapani. Accessible only by boat, but there should be good views from shore and excellent views from ferries departing for the Aegadian Islands. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-161; EF-3138; Admiralty E1970; NGA 10044.
Castello della Colombaia
1855. Inactive since sometime before 1920. Approx 38 m (125 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower, part of a medieval castle. Maurizio Ligabue has a photo, Toni Rubio Fiego has a closeup, Google has a distant street view across the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. The castle has roots going back to the Carthaginians around 200 BC, but the tower that carried the light was begun in the 14th century and completed by Philip II of Spain in 1586. Although proposed as a tourist attraction, the castle does not appear to be open to the public at present. Located on the Isola Colombaia, an island at the entrance to Trapani harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-307.
Scoglio Porcelli
1904. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters. Tower painted white. An excellent 2009 photo is available. Located on one of an isolated group of rocks forming a reef about 6 km (3.5 mi) northwest of Trapani. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-162; EF-3128; Admiralty E1968; NGA 10036.
Isolotto Asinelli
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black with a red horizontal band. 1-story keeper's house or equipment building. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky islet about 10 km (6 mi) north of Trapani. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. EF-3166; Admiralty E1982; NGA 10040.

San Vito lo Capo Lighthouses
* San Vito lo Capo (Capo San Vito)
Date unknown (station established 1859). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 5 s; also a red light, 2 s on, 2 s off, is shown over shoals to the north from a focal plane of 12.5 m (41 ft). 40 m (131 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The tower appears to be unpainted white concrete; gallery and watch room painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo is at right, Trabas also has a good photo by Egidio Ferrighi, another photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a good street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The promontory of Capo San Vito marks the northwestern corner of Sicily. Note: there is a second Capo San Vito lighthouse near Taranto on the Italian mainland. Located at the end of the Via Faro in San Vito lo Capo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-155; EF-3170; Admiralty E1986; NGA 9988.
* Punta Solanto (Capo Solanto)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); flash every 3 s, white or red depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) light mounted on the roof of a square 1-story concrete equipment building. Lighthouse painted white; the small lantern is red. Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The ruins of a 16th century watch tower, the Torre Usciere, stand next to the light. Located on the northeast point of the Capo San Vito peninsula, about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of the Faro San Vito lo Capo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-279; EF-3178; Admiralty E1990; NGA 9984.
* Castellammare del Golfo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. Light atop a square 1-story concrete equipment building standing atop a round medieval fortification. Trabas has Egidio Ferrighi's closeup photo, Giovanni Caruso has a photo, Wikimedia has a good photo, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The castle was begun by the Arabs in the ninth century and expanded by the Normans in the eleventh century. Located on a promontory projecting into the harbor of Castellammare del Golfo. Site open, tower closed. EF-3182; Admiralty E1992; NGA 9968.
Faro di San Vito lo Capo
San Vito lo Capo Light, San Vito lo Capo, August 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by BestKevin

Palermo Province Lighthouses

Ustica Lighthouses
Note: Ustica is a small island in the Tyrrhenian Sea 52 km (33 mi) north of Capo Gallo. The island has a permanent population of about 1300 and is accessible by ferry from Palermo.
Punta Omo Morto (Punta Falconiera)
1884. Active; focal plane 100 m (328 ft); three white flashes every 15 s; also a red light, occulting once every 5 s, is shown over a shoal to the northeast. 10 m (33 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward end of a 1-story keeper's house. Tower painted white. David Salvatori's 2008 photo is at the top of this page, and Jón Pétur Magnason has a view from the sea, Trabas has Rainer Arndt's aerial view, and Bing has a satellite view. Punta Omo Morto means "Deadman Point," a reference to the extreme danger sailors face here. Located atop a steep promontory at the northeast end of the island of Ustica, about 800 m (1/2 mi) northeast of the village of Ustica. The lack of closeup photos suggests that access to this lighthouse is difficult, but it is possible to get a view from the heights above the town. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-136; EF-3186; Admiralty E1996; NGA 9956.
* Punta Gavazzi
1885. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 28 m (92 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The lighthouse appears to be covered with unpainted white concrete panels; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo is at right, David Salvatori has a 2008 photo, Jón Pétur Magnason has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southwestern tip of the island of Ustica. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-125; EF-3194; Admiralty E2000; NGA 9964.

Palermo Lighthouses
* Capo Gallo
1854. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two long (2 s) white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. Tower painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has a fine photo by Egidio Ferrighi, Wikimedia has a photo and a dramatic view from the sea, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's house is the 1854 original, but the lantern and light tower appear to be more recent. The area of the cape is a nature reserve, and according to earlier reports the station was being converted to a marine research facility. The buildings are endangered by erosion of the steep slope between the lighthouse and the sea. Capo Gallo marks the western entrance to the Golfo di Palermo. Located on the point of the cape, at the end of the Via Gallo, about 8 km (5 mi) north of the Palermo waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-123; EF-3198; Admiralty E2004; NGA 9936.

Punta Gavazzi Light, Ustica, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by hetan_hunt13
Palermo Diga Foranea (Main Breakwater)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower with gallery. Doan has a page for the lighthouse, James O'Rear has a closeup photo, Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, Mike Brownlow has a view from the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the original end of the main breakwater, which has since been extended. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-201; EF-3208; Admiralty E2008; NGA 9908.
* Palermo (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1853). Inactive. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story building. The tower is unpainted; gallery painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Photos of this historic lighthouse are curiously scarce, and we have no information on its history. Ferrighi's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The light has been replaced by a 11 m (36 ft) tower on the main breakwater of Palermo. Located on the north mole at the point at which the breakwater is attached, near the foot of the Via Cristoforo Columbo. Site status uncertain (this is an industrial area) but the lighthouse should be visible easily from nearby; tower closed. ARLHS ITA-302; ex-Admiralty E2008.
Palermo Molo Sud
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); red light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story pierhead building. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Doan has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the short south breakwater of Palermo harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS ITA-235; EF-3220; Admiralty E2014; NGA 9912.
* Capo Zafferano
1884. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, adjoining or attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; the lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has Klaus Potschien's good photo, Hugo Pandit has another good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Capo Zafferano marks the eastern end of the Golfo di Palermo. Located on the point of the cape, about 3 km (2 mi) north of Santa Flavia and 15 km (9 mi) east of Palermo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-048; EF-3244; Admiralty E2023; NGA 9900.

Cefal├╣ Lighthouse
* Capo Cefalù
1913. Active; focal plane 80 m (262 ft); white flash every 5 s. 26 m (85 ft) octagonal masonry tower rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. The tower is unpainted beige-colored masonry; the lantern is painted white with a gray metallic dome. Trabas has a great closeup photo by Klaus Potschien, a 2008 photo is available, Wikimedia has a view from the town's waterfront, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a steep slope off the Via del Faro on the east side of Cefalù, in the middle of Sicily's north coast. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-008; EF-3261; Admiralty E2036; NGA 9860.
Palermo Light
Palermo Light, Palermo
photo copyright Egidio Ferrighi; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining page: East: Eastern Sicily

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted July 18, 2006. Checked and revised February 24, 2014. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.