Lighthouses of Slovenia

Slovenia is located on the northwestern corner of the former Yugoslav federation, bordering on Austria to the north and Italy to the west. The country has only a short coastline on the Adriatic Sea south of Trieste, Italy. The chief port is Koper, on the Gulf of Trieste just south of the Italian border.

This coast has a complicated history. It was part of the Austrian Empire until that empire was dissolved at the end of World War I in 1918. It was then annexed by Italy, which remained in control to the end of World War II in 1945. For the next nine years it was part of the Free Territory of Trieste, a UN-administered area. In 1954, voters in the area chose Yugoslavia over Italy, so it became part of the Yugoslav Republic of Slovenia. More recently, Slovenia was the first Yugoslav republic to achieve independence, in 1991, and the first to join the European Union, in 2004.

The coastal region of Slovenia is officially bilingual, with both Italian and Slovenian being spoken. Italian place names are shown in brackets {}. The words for a lighthouse are svetilnik in Slovenian and faro in Italian. In Slovenian, rt is the word for a cape or headland.

Aids to navigation in Slovenia are presumably maintained by the Slovenian Maritime Administration.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Slovenia
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Slovenia
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Slovenia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Weitere europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Piran Light
Piran (Rt Madona) Light, Piran, August 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mélisande*

Lighthouses
* Rt Sveti Bernardin {Punta San Bernardo} (Portorož {Portorose})
Date unknown (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) conical cast iron tower with gallery, painted red. Trabas has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the west end of the quay in Portorož, about 2 km (1.2 mi) southeast of Piran. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E2632; NGA 11860.
Piran {Pirano} Transverse Mole
1876. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) square brick tower topped by a small lantern. Tower painted green. Trabas has a closeup, Thomas Penn has a photo showing both mole lights, Wikimedia has a photo, the light is centered in Huelse's historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Another Wikimedia photo shows that in 2011 the two mole lights were repainted in brighter colors. Located at the end of the transverse (south) mole at Piran. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed, but there are excellent views from the north mole or from the town waterfront. ARLHS SLO-011; Admiralty E2630; NGA 11852.
* Piran {Pirano} West Mole
1843. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) square brick tower topped by a small lantern. Tower painted red. Gabriel Eidelman's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup, Bert Neven has a photo showing this light and the Piran lighthouse, E. Haller has a photo of both mole lights, the light is at the left edge of Huelse's historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west (breakwater) mole at Piran. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SLO-010; Admiralty E2628; NGA 11856.
* Piran {Pirano} (Rt Madona {Punta Madonna})
1872. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 3 m (10 ft) semi-octagonal stone tower attached to the front of a 1-story stone keeper's cottage, all built on a circular stone pier. The lantern has been removed, and the light is now shown from an iron post in front of the tower. There's a good photo above, Trabas has a photo, another closeup and a fine view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. The round tower behind the keeper's cottage is often mistaken for the lighthouse, but it is in fact the bell tower of a church. Located at the tip of a sharp promontory in Piran, marking the entrance to the Bay of Piran. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SLO-006; Admiralty E2624; NGA 11848.
Piran West Mole Light
Piran West Mole Light, Piran, June 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Gabriel Eidelman
[Rt Debeli (Plicinia Debeli) {Punta Grossa}]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); nine quick white flashes every 15 s. 5 m (17 ft) square cylindrical brick (?) tower mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted yellow with a black horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, Joel Mrvcic has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a reef extending from Rt Debeli, a promontory on the north side of Koper. This light is only a few meters south of the Italian border. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SLO-012; Admiralty E2607; NGA 11812.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Venice and Trieste | South: Northern Croatia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted August 21, 2006. Checked and revised December 28, 2013. Lighthouses: 4. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.