Lighthouses of Sweden: Scania (Helsingborg-Malmö Area)

This page covers lighthouses of the Swedish county of Scania (Skåne Län), the southernmost county of Sweden. Scania faces west on the Kattegat and the Öresund, which separate Sweden and Denmark, and also south and southeast on the Baltic Sea. The county includes the two major port cities of Helsingborg and Malmö.

The Swedish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the nedrefyr (lower light) and the rear light is the övrefyr (upper light). Aids to navigation in Sweden are maintained by the Swedish Maritime Administration (Sjöfartsverket). Many of the major lighthouses have resident attendents, and guided tours can often be arranged. The Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet) works for the preservation of the lighthouses.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. SV numbers are from the Sjöfarsverket light list (Svenska Fyrlista) as reported by the Swedish Lighthouse Society. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet, SFA)
The Society has a large web site, and some of the information is available in English as well as Swedish. An interactive map links to pdf pages (in Swedish) for the major lighthouses, and there is a list of photos available.
Online List of Lights - Sweden
Photos of navigational aids posted by Alex Trabas.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouse Pages from Anke and Jens - Sweden
Photos and brief accounts (in English) by two German lighthouse fans.
Henning Jensen's Lighthouse Pages
Photos and comments for about 20 lighthouses, posted by an employee of the Maritime Administration who helps maintain the lighthouses.
Fyrar
Photos taken from the sea, posted by Bosse Arnholm.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Schwedische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Kullens Fyr
Kullen Light, Höganäs, July 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Peter Appelros

South Coast (Baltic Sea) Lighthouses

Kristianstad Lighthouses
Lägerholmen
1908. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white; the concrete tower is unpainted. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a distant photo by C. Lagerwall, and Google has a good satellite view. Located on a small island about 3 km (2 mi) offshore and about 6 km (4 mi) southwest of Tredenborg; the island is a nature reserve. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Site manager: Naturreservatet Lägerholmen. ARLHS SWE-229; SV-6421; Admiralty C7564; NGA 7240.
* Åhus Nedre
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); quick-flashing red light. Approx. 38 m (125 ft) square skeletal tower, also carrying a red triangular daymark. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The rear light is mounted on a grain silo. This is the entrance range for Åhus, the port of Kristianstad. Located on the north side of the harbor entrance. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7572.3; NGA 7222.

Simrishamn Lighthouses
* Stenshuvud
1916. Inactive since 2010. 9.5 m (31 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with octagonal lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. B. Jaglin's photo is at right, Frank Haamann has a 2008 photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Located on a cape about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Simrishamn. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Stenshuvuds Nationalpark. ARLHS SWE-369; ex-Admiralty C7576; ex-NGA 7172.
* Simrishamn (2)
Date unknown (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 3 s on, 3 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a photo by E. Hillberg, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse; it appears from this view that the present lantern may be the original. Located on the south quay of Simrishamn. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-341; SV-6523; Admiralty C7582; NGA 7152.

Stenshuvud Light, Simrishamn, March 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by B. Jaglin

Ystad Lighthouses
* Sandhammaren
1862 (Gustav von Heidenstam). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white flash every 5 s. 29.5 m (96 ft) 12-sided cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. The original 2nd order Fresnel lens remains in use. Entire lighthouse painted red. A photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, Anke and Jens have a page for the lighthouse, Ulla Lundgren has a good photo showing the full height of the tower, Arnholm has a view from the sea, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Von Heidenstam built twin towers for this station, but the north tower was deactivated in 1891 and relocated in 1905 to Pite-Rönnskär. Sandhammaren is an extensive area of dunes and maritime forest at the southeastern corner of Scania. Located in the forest about 200 m (220 yd) from the point of the cape, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Borrby. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-055; SV-6545; Admiralty C2460; NGA 5648.
[Ystad East Breakwater]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two green flashes every 6 s. 3 m (10 ft) round lantern, painted white. Trabas has a photo, Johan Känngård has another photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater of Ystad. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2450.5; NGA 5632.
* Ystad (West Mole Range Rear) (2)
1866 (Gustav von Heidenstam) (station established 1847). Inactive since 1975. 16 m (52 ft) tapered octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lower half of lighthouse painted a dark red; upper half and lantern painted white with dark red trim; lantern dome is greenish metallic. A 2008 photo is available, Andreas Fennhagen has a good closeup of the lantern, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Ystad is the terminal for ferries to the Danish island of Bornholm and to Swinoujscie, Poland. The lighthouse is located on the traditional waterfront near the ferry terminal. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-077; ex-Admiralty C2452.
[Ystad West Breakwater]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 3 m (10 ft) round lantern, painted white. Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west breakwater of Ystad. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2450.4; NGA 5636.
Sandhammarens Fyr
Sandhammaren Light, Ystad, October 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jorchr

Trelleborg Lighthouses
* Smygehuk
1883. Reactivated (inactive 1975-2001); focal plane 19 m (62 ft); three white flashes, in a 1+2 pattern, every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is greenish metallic. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, SFA has a good photo by S. Björnson, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the southernmost tip of Sweden and of the Scandinavian Peninsula. It was deactivated in 1975 in favor of the offshore Kullagrundet lighthouse. Around 2000 the abandoned light station was restored; the light was reactivated and the keeper's house was renovated as a youth hostel. Located on the coastal highway about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Smygehamn. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Smygehuk Hostel. ARLHS SWE-355; SV-6576; Admiralty C2439; NGA 5606.
Kullagrundet
1975. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, two galleries, and a helipad on top, mounted on a round cylindrical concrete caisson. Tower painted red with one black horizontal band, lantern painted white, caisson unpainted. SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, and Trabas has a very distant view. This is the southernmost Swedish lighthouse. Located in the Baltic about 3 km (1.8 mi) offshore from Smygehuk and 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Trelleborg. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-036; SV-6580; Admiralty C2445; NGA 5604.
* Trelleborg Ostmole
1897. Inactive since 1955. 15.5 m (51 ft) tapered octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow black horizontal band; lantern dome is greenish metallic. Lights were displayed on the Trelleborg waterfront as early as 1863. Huelse's historic postcard view shows how this light once stood at the harbor entrance. It became obsolete after World War II, when new breakwaters extended the harbor considerably. The lighthouse was removed in October 2007 and placed in storage. The local maritime museum (Trelleborgs Sjöfartsmuseum) sought to acquire the lighthouse and display it outside the museum. However, in July 2010 the lighthouse was moved back to the waterfront at the end of a pier on the east side of the harbor, a location comparable to its original position. Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main ferry pier. Site open, tower closed.
Smygehuks Fyr
Smygehuk Light, Smygehamn, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre
Trelleborg
1930. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, mounted atop a round tapered granite caisson. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; the caisson is unpainted gray stone. Trabas has a fine closeup, François La Poutré has another closeup, and SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall. This the oldest of many caisson lighthouses built to replace lightship stations on Sweden's coast. Located about 1.6 km (1 mi) south of the entrance to Trelleborg harbor. Accessible only by boat, but the lighthouse can be viewed from ferries that cross the Baltic from Trelleborg to Rostock, Saßnitz, and Travemünde, Germany. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-069; SV-6588; Admiralty C2424; NGA 5572.

West Coast (Öresund) Lighthouses

Vellinge (Falsterbo Peninsula) Lighthouses
Note: The former island of Skanör has become attached to the southwestern tip of Sweden by an isthmus, forming the anvil-shaped Falsterbo peninsula.
* Falsterbo Kanal No. 1 (South Entrance East Pier)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 8 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (17 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Built during World War II, the Falsterbo Canal is a short canal across the isthmus joining Skanör to the mainland; it allows small craft to avoid the trip around the end of the peninsula. Located at the end of the east breakwater at the south entrance to the canal. Accessible by walking the pier. Admiralty C2412.8; NGA 5536.
* Falsterbo Kanal No. 3 (East Side Range Rear) (2)
2009. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, synchronized with the front light and visible only along the line of the canal. 21 m (69 ft) triangular skeletal tower. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped daymark painted red with a green vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the east end of a sluice gate that is closed when the tidal difference between the ends of the canal creates a dangerous current. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2412.4; NGA 5530.
* Falsterbo Kanal No. 4 (West Side Range Rear) (2)
2009. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, synchronized with the front light and visible only along the line of the canal. 21 m (69 ft) triangular skeletal tower. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped daymark painted red with a green vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the west end of a sluice gate that is closed when the tidal difference between the ends of the canal creates a dangerous current. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2412.6; NGA 5528.
** Falsterbo (Falsterbo Udde)
1796 (Olof Tempelman). Reactivated (inactive 1990-1993); focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light occulting once every 5 s. 25 m (82 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a 2-story brick keeper's house. 2nd order Henry Lepaute Fresnel lens (1842) in use. The lighthouse is unpainted brick with one black horizontal band; the lantern dome is painted red. A photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, Anke and Jens have a page for the lighthouse, Harald Lindström has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This historic lighthouse marks the extreme southwestern corner of Scania and Sweden and the southern entrance to the Öresund. Lights have been displayed here in various ways since at least the 1220s, and a vippfyr (basket light) was maintained starting in 1635. Since 1973, the offshore Falsterborev lighthouse has been the key light for vessels rounding the southern tip of Sweden, so the lighthouse was deactivated in 1990. It was restored in 1993 by the Vellinge City Council after many requests from the public. Since 1909 the surrounding area has been the Falsterbo Golfklubb, one of the best known golf courses in Sweden, with the lighthouse standing beside the 15th tee. Located at the southwestern tip of the Falsterbo peninsula. Site open; tower open to guided tours by prior arrangement with the attendent. ARLHS SWE-008; SV-6648; Admiralty C2416; NGA 5556.
Falsterbos Fyr
Falsterbo Light, July 2008
Wikimedia public domain photo by Philaweb
Falsterborev (Falsterbo Reef)
1972. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 30.5 m (100 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with four galleries and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted with red and black horizontal bands. This is Sweden's tallest lighthouse, marking the turn from the Öresund into the Baltic Sea. It replaced the lightship Falsterborev, which had a long second career as a restaurant in Belgium but sank in 2007 at Le Havre, France. Located in the middle of the southern entrance to the Öresund, about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Falsterbo and the same distance east of Stevns Klint, Denmark. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2417; NGA 5560.
* Fyrskepp 8 Svinbådan (lantern)
1870. Decommissioned 1972. Lantern and the upper portion of the mast, painted red. Benoît Derrier has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Built as a two-masted schooner, this lightship was converted to a powered vessal in 1885. It served at Svinbådan, then at Falsterborev, and from 1931 to 1972 it was a reserve lightship for the Malmö station. After it was decommissioned as a lightship it served several years as a pilot vessel for Malmö before being scrapped in 1976. The lantern and part of the mast, removed in 1972, have stood ever since on the waterfront of the yacht harbor in Skanör. Site open, tower closed.
* Skanör (2)
Date unknown (station established 1881). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red or green light depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 4 s off. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Olga Caprotti's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, and Huelse has both a photo and a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north breakwater of Skanör, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Falsterbo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-345; SV-6733; Admiralty C2414; NGA 5540.

Skanör Light, Skanör, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Olga Caprotti

Flintrännan (Flint Channel) Lighthouses

Note: The Flint Channel is a dredged channel through the narrow passage of the Öresund between Malmö and the Danish island of Saltholm. Historically this important channel was marked by lightships. During the 1960s the lightships were replaced by four caisson lighthouses: Kalkgrundet, Oscarsgrundet Nordost, Flinten Sydväst, and Oscarsgrundet Sydväst. However, the construction of the Öresund Bridge-Tunnel in 1995-99 required that a new channel be dredged. Apparently the four caisson lighthouses were all removed; SFA does not have photos of any of them. The channel is now marked by a series of modern cylindrical lighthouses.
Höllviken
1964. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern and upper half of the tower painted white, lower half green. Bosse Arnholm has a photo, and Trabas also has a photo. Located in the Öresund about 3 km (2 mi) west of Höllviken, an artificial harbor south of Malmö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-197; SV-6710; Admiralty C2408; NGA 5496.
Flintrännan Sydväst
1999?. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. This lighthouse marks the southwestern entrance to the Flintrännan. Located about 6 km (3.5 mi) southwest of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.5; NGA 5494.
Flintrännan No. 19
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.29.
Flintrännan No. 18
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) south of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.28.
Flintrännan No. 17
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. A photo is at right, and Trabas has a photo. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) south of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.27.
Flintrännan No. 16
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) south of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.26.
Flintrännan No. 7
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, and Bing has a satellite view. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) north of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. SV-6739.5; Admiralty C2349.17; NGA 5492.
Flintrännan No. 6
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting once every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located about 1.6 km (1 mi) north of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2350.5.
Flintrännens Fyr 17
Flintrännan Light 17, Öresund, August 2009
Panoramio photo copyright gpermant; used by permission
Flintrännan No. 5
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. Located about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2349.15.
Flintrännan No. 4
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting once every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall. Located about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C2351.5.
Flintrännan Nordost
1999?. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo. This lighthouse marks the northeastern entrance to the Flintrännan. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) off Limhamn, on the west side of Malmö, and about 4.5 km (2.8 mi) north of the Öresund Bridge Tunnel. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. SV-6739; Admiralty C2352.5; NGA 5480.

Malmö Lighthouses
* Lernacken
Date unknown. Inactive since 2001. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Carl Fredrik has a photo, Petter Duvander has a good closeup, and Google has an aerial view. This lighthouse is located a short distance north of the eastern end of the Öresund Bridge-Tunnel (E-20); it became obsolete after that crossing was completed in 1999. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-474; ex-Admiralty C2401.
* Malmö (Inre Hamn) (Range Rear)
1878. Inactive since 1983 (a decorative light is displayed). 20 m (66 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on an octagonal stone base. Tower painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands; the lantern dome is also red. Borja Iza's photo is at right, Kevin Hoogheem has a view from the south, a 2008 photo is available, a dawn photo shows the decorative light, Google has an aerial view, and Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the light when it stood on a pierhead projecting into the harbor. The light is now located on the Stora Varvsgaten at the intersection of the Hjälmarekajen quay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-045; SV-6810; ex-Admiralty C2359.
* Malmö Hamn (Range Front)
1925. Inactive. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red; the end of the pier is painted white with a green horizontal band. Steffanie Müller has a 2008 photo, and Google has an aerial view. This was formerly the front light of a range, with the the Malmö lighthouse (previous entry) as the rear light. Huelse has a historic postcard view showing that this pier was originally at the entrance to the harbor. Today the harbor has been extended seaward about 800 m (1/2 mi), and the pier now projects into a basin known as the Frihamn (Free Harbor). Located on a short pier at the end of Hjälmarekajen quay. Site open, tower closed.
Malmö Vågbrytarbank (Outer Breakwater)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 5 s on, 5 s off. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, mounted on a round stone base. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, Bosse Arnholm has a photo, Olof Adell has another photo, and Google has an aerial view. The Google view confirms that the lantern has been removed. Located on a notorious rocky shoal just off the entrance to Malmö harbor, about 300 m (330 yd) west of the north breakwater; a submerged "breakwater" of dredge spoil connects the shoal to shore. Accessible only by boat, but the lighthouse can be viewed easily from the waterfront or from vessels entering or leaving the harbor. Site and tower closed. ARLHS SWE-272; Admiralty C2358; NGA 5376.

Malmö Light, Malmö, January 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Borja Iza

Kävlinge Municipality Lighthouse
Pinhätten
1960. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 8 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lower half of the tower is painted orange, the upper half black, and the lantern white. SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, and Trabas has a distant view. Located in the Öresund about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Barsebäckshamn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-314; SV-6951; Admiralty C2336; NGA 5320.

Landskrona Lighthouse
* Landskrona Övre
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green light, occulting once every 4 s, synchronized with the front light. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower. The tower also carries a large diamond-shaped daymark, painted green. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is a small beacon on piles. Located in a parking lot on the Landskrona waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2328.1; NGA 5308.

Ven (Hven) Lighthouses
Note: Ven (Hven in the Danish spelling) is an island in the Öresund, roughly 3 km (2 mi) long and 2 km (1.25 mi) wide, lying about 4 km (2.5 mi) off the Swedish coast. Though formerly a part of Denmark, the island has been Swedish since 1660. It is devoted mostly to farming and has a population of less than 400. Ferry service to the island is available from Landskrona, and the island is administered as part of Landskrona municipality.
* Haken Nedre (Range Front) (2)
1939 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached by a covered passage to the original 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, house red. Olga Caprotti's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Karl-Heinz Wellm, Jensen has a photo, Martin Hansen has another photo, Huelse has historic postcard views of the original and present lighthouses, and Bing has a good satellite view of the station. The rear light of the range is 90 m (100 yd) west. Located near the northeastern tip of the island, about 800 m (1/2 mi) north of the ferry terminal at Bäckviken. Site open, tower closed; the buildings are probably privately owned. ARLHS SWE-168; Admiralty C1936; NGA 5272.
* Ven Södra Udde (2)
1967 (station established 1940). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 30 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup by Karl-Heinz Wellm, Jensen has a photo, a 2005 photo is available, SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located in an open field near the southeastern end of the island, about 1 km (0.6 mi) southwest of Bäckviken. Site open, although probably privately owned, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-334; SV-6996; Admiralty C1932; NGA 5280.
* Kyrkbacken
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. SFA has a photo by E. Hillberg, a sunset photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater at Kyrkbacken, on the west side of the island facing Denmark. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. SV-6992; Admiralty C1930; NGA 5288.

Haken Range Front Light, Ven, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Olga Caprotti
Ven (1)
1871. Inactive. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal cylindrical wood tower rising from a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Tower painted white, house red with a white vertical stripe continuing the white of the light tower. SFA has a photo by E. Hillberg, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Fyrvägen near the northwestern tip of the island about 600 m (0.4 mi) northwest of Kyrkbacken. Site status unknown, probably private. ARLHS SWE-034.
Ven (2)
Date unknown (1967?). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 8 s off. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup photo by Karl-Heinz Wellm, a 2006 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in a field off the Mossvägen at the extreme northwestern tip of the island, about 400 m (1/4 mi) north of the original lighthouse. Site status unknown, probably open. SV-6987; Admiralty C1928; NGA 5284.

Helsingborg Lighthouses
* Råå Pierhead
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing light, white, red or green, depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cast iron skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Erik Forsberg has a photo, Trabas has a good photo, SFA has a closeup photo by E. Hillberg, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater of what is now a popular small boat harbor at Råå, on the south side of Helsingborg. Probably accessible in good weather by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. SV-7018; Admiralty C2316; NGA 5264.
* Helsingborg
1889 (John Höijer). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal cylindrical brick tower rising from a 1-1/2 story brick pilot station. The lighthouse is red brick with trim in the Swedish colors, blue and gold; the lantern dome is blue. David Castor's photo is at right, Morten Perriard has a nice closeup photo, Trabas has a closeup by Karl-Heinz Wellm, Larry Myhre has a 2007 closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This lovely and historic lighthouse welcomes travelers arriving in Helsingborg on Scandlines ferries from Helsingør, Denmark. The lighthouse was designed by John Hoijer as part of the development of Helsingborg's North Harbor; it also served as a pilot station. The Swedish edition of Wikipedia has an article on the lighthouse. Located at the south end of the main north mole at Helsingborg. Owner: Statens Fastighetsverk (National Property Board). Site manager: City of Helsingborg. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-029; SV-7039; Admiralty C2288; NGA 5184.

Höganäs Lighthouses
Svinbådan
1959. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with upper and lower galleries and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted black with one red horizontal band; the tower is also floodlit. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a photo by C. Lagerwall, Martin Hansen has another good photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos. This light guides vessels entering the Öresund from the Kattegat. In 1994 a new lantern was placed on top of the helipad, which is no longer usable. A sibling of the Tylögrund lighthouse, this tower is located on a shoal in the Öresund about 1.5 km (1 mi) off the coast at Viken. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-067; SV-7121; Admiralty C2274; NGA 5124.
Helsingborgs Fyr
Helsingborg Light, Helsingborg, May 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by David Castor
Höganäs Pierhead
Date unknown (station established 1880). Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s; the tower is also floodlit. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower with a small lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, C.L. Lindmark has a sunset photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at Höganäs. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-193; Admiralty C2268; NGA 5108.
**** Kullen (6?)
1900 (Magnus Dahlander) (station established 1561). Active; focal plane 78.5 m (258 ft); white flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story service building. The original 1st order clamshell Fresnel lens remains in use. The lighthouse is unpainted gray stone; the lantern is painted white with a black dome. Two keeper's houses nearby; although the light is automated the station continues to be staffed. A photo by Peter Appelros is at the top of this page, Johanna May Gustavsson has a photo, Anke and Jens have a good page for the lighthouse, Jensen's photo of the station shows the spectacular view, Harald Lindström's photo shows the site, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Swedish-language Wikipedia has an article and photo, and Google has a satellite view. Kullens Fyr, at the end of the long Kullaberg Peninsula, marks the east side of the entrance to the Öresund and the Baltic Sea. Fires were lit here in Viking times, and there have been at least half a dozen lighthouses built: the first stone tower in 1563 was replaced in 1585, 1749, 1792, and 1843 before the present tower was built in 1898-1900. The famous Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe was the lightkeeper at Kullen between 1577 and 1588 (when the area was under Danish rule). The Sjöfartsverket has a long article in Swedish on the history of the light station, with drawings of several of the older towers. The present tower is the most powerful Scandinavian lighthouse, with a range of 50 km (30 mi). Ulla Lundgren has an August 2007 photo showing exterior renovations to the lighthouse underway. The surrounding area is a nature reserve, the Kullabergs Naturreservat. Located at land's end about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Höganäs. Site open, observation room open daily, tower open to guided tours. ARLHS SWE-037; SV-7146; Admiralty C2260; NGA 5084.
* [Kullen Västra]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 20 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a concrete base. Lantern painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is a passing light, located on the extreme tip of the Kullen cape, 70 m (230 ft) below the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C2262; NGA 5088.

Hallands Väderö (Båstad) Lighthouse
*
Hallands Väderö (2)
1909 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light, 4 s on, 4 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cast iron tower attached by a covered passageway to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is greenish metallic. Ulf Bodin's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo by Karl-Heinz Wellm, SFA has a small photo by E. Hillberg, Henry Law has a 2008 photo, the Carters have a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Hallands Väderö is an uninhabited island in the Kattegat about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) in length and about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) off the end of the Bjare Peninsula. Despite its name, this island is in the Båstad municipality in the county of Scania and not in the adjoining county of Halland. The island was set aside as a nature reserve in 1958. Passenger ferry transportation is available from Torekov. Located at the western tip of the island; accessible by easy hiking trails. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-170; SV-7173; Admiralty C2242; NGA 1452.
Hallands Väderö Fyr
Hallands Väderö Light, Båstad, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ulf Bodin

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Halland | East: Blekinge | South: Bornholm | West: Copenhagen Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 9, 2007. Checked and revised September 15, 2013. Lighthouses: 45; lightships: 1. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.