Lighthouses of Sweden: Kalmar

This page covers lighthouses of the mainland portion of the Swedish county of Kalmar (Kalmar Län); this is the coastal portion of the historic province of Småland. The coastline of the county faces eastward on the Baltic Sea. Kalmar Län also includes the long, narrow island of Öland, which lies parallel to the coast. The Kalmarsund, the narrow sound between Ölund and the mainland, provides a protected waterway along the southern part of the county's coast.

The Swedish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the nedrefyr (lower light) and the rear light is the övrefyr (upper light). Aids to navigation in Sweden are maintained by the Swedish Maritime Administration (Sjöfartsverket). Many of the major lighthouses have resident attendents, and guided tours can often be arranged. The Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet) works for the preservation of the lighthouses.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. SV numbers are from the Sjöfarsverket light list (Svenska Fyrlista) as reported by the Swedish Lighthouse Society. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet, SFA)
The Society has a large web site, and some of the information is available in English as well as Swedish. An interactive map links to pdf pages (in Swedish) for the major lighthouses, and there is a list of photos available. There's also a page of photos of east coast lighthouses taken by Esbjörn Hillberg.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Online List of Lights - Sweden
Photos posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouse Pages from Anke and Jens - Sweden
Photos and brief accounts (in English) by two German lighthouse fans.
Henning Jensen's Lighthouse Pages
Photos and comments for about 20 lighthouses, posted by an employee of the Maritime Administration who helps maintain the lighthouses.
Fyrar
Photos taken from the sea, posted by Bosse Arnholm.
Fyr Vi Har Passeret (Lighthouses We've Passed)
Photos of Baltic lighthouses taken by two Danish sailors, Jette and Ole.
Schwedische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Spårö Fyr
Spårö Light, Västervik, June 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ludwig Thomas

Källvik Area Lighthouses
Torrö Stickskär
1940. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); four flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a thin green horizontal band under the gallery. SFA has a photo by D. Eriksson, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry off the southeast coast of Torrö and about 2 km (1.25 mi) northeast of Ytterby. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-5204; Admiralty C7038; NGA 8368.
Prickhällan (Väderskär)
1940. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A photo and a second photo are available, SFA has a historic photo (about 1/3 the way down the page, middle photo in a vertical group of three), and Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal a short distance north or northeast of Väderskär. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7050; NGA 8344.
Trädskär (Övre)
1940. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 1 s on, 1 s off. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is green. SFA has a photo by Esbjörn Hillberg, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This light is the rear light of a range. Located on a skerry about 1.5 km (1 mi) offshore near Källvik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-5243; Admiralty C7056.1; NGA 8332.
Finnhällan
1940. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red horizontal band around the lantern. Jette and Ole have a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry between the islands of Gamla Städsholmen and Storskär, about 5 km (3 mi) east of Källvik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Städsholmens Natureservat. ARLHS SWE-130; Admiralty C7066; NGA 8244.
Storkläppen (2)
1894 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 8 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal ironclad masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted in a red and white checkerboard pattern (unusual for Sweden). 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, painted red with white trim, and other light station buildings. Magnus Perman's photo is at right, Erik Sjostedt has a 2010 photo, SFA has a photo by J. Löfgren and a second photo by E. Hillberg, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a postcard view dated 1924, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 12 m (39 ft) cast iron tower transferred from Utholme, Gotland; that station was heavily damaged almost immediately by a severe storm. Endangered: in late 2008, the Sjöfartsverket announced its intention to abandon the lighthouse and said it might be demolished unless some group came forward to accept it. Located on an island about 10 km (6 mi) southeast of Källvik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-375; SV-5265; Admiralty C7068; NGA 8304.
Storkläppen Fyr
Storkläppen Light from S/V Röde Orm, September 2007
Flickr photo copyright Magnus Perman; used by permission
Aleskär
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. SFA has a closeup by D. Eriksson, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of the eastern tip of the island of Hasselö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-5270; Admiralty C7070; NGA 8308.
Finnkarten
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); four flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) tower, painted white with a green base. Hans Genthe has a photo, SFA has a closeup by E. Hillberg, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of the eastern tip of the island of Hasselö. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-131; SV-5275; Admiralty C7072; NGA 8240.
Sladö Ask
1940. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing white, red or green light, depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern painted white. SFA has a photo by E. Hillberg. Located close to the Finnkarten light; NGA has the two with the same coordinates. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-352; SV-5279; Admiralty C7074; NGA 8236.

Västervik Lighthouses
Vitudden
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 4 s. 7 m (23 ft) tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is green. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This was formerly the rear light of an entrance range for Västervik. Located on a promontory on the island of Gränsö, which shelters the north side of the harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty C7100.1; NGA 8280.
Borgö
1940. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 1-story wood shed; the light is shown through a window. Building painted white. Trabas has a photo, but the small light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on the west side of the Västervik harbor entrance. Site status unknown. Admiralty C7098; NGA 8264.
Västra Tallskärshålet Nedre
1895. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); quick-flashing white or green light, depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, painted green with one white horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry off the southeastern point of Marsholmen, about 2 km (1.25 mi) northeast of Lindödjupet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7088; NGA 8248.
Västerbådan
1940. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 8 s on, 2 s off. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted red with a black horizontal band at the base. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a photo by D. Eriksson and a second photo by E. Hillberg, and a January 2006 photo shows the lighthouse mostly covered by ice, but the light is only a blur in Google's satellite view. Located offshore about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of Lindödjupet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-420; SV-5280; Admiralty C7076; NGA 8232.
Stickskär (Nedre)
Date unknown (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); flash every 1.5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light forms a range with Spårö Fyr. Located on a skerry off the northwest coast of Idö and about 1750 m (1.1 mi) northeast of Spårö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7080; NGA 8220.
Västerbådans Fyr
Västerbådan Light, Västervik
photo copyright Jette&Ole; permission requested
Idö
1884. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, painted green with one white horizontal band. Christian Almstedt has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located just off the northwestern point of Idö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7086; NGA 8228.
Spårö (3)
1934 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. 1-story wood keeper's house, painted red with white trim. Ludwig Thomas's photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a photo, SFA has a photo by E. Hillberg, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse also serves as the rear light of two ranges, the Idö Stangskär Range and the Stickskär Range. Located on the southeastern point of Spårö, on the approach to Västervik. Site status unknown. SV-5308; Admiralty C7081; NGA 8218.
* Spårö (1) (Spårö Bak)
1777. Inactive since 1884. 25 m (82 ft) square stone tower with a pyramidal roof. Tower painted white; the roof is red. Lights from wood fires were displayed through a window on the east side of the roof. Andreas Nilsson's photo is at right, a fine 2007 photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. This historic tower is said to have built by Russian prisoners of war. Located at the highest point of the island of Spårö, an island a short distance north of Målängen, on the approach to Västervik. Site open, tower status unknown.
Idö Stangskär (Nedre)
Date unknown (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing light, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern and gallery white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light forms a range with Spårö Fyr. Located on a skerry about 3 km (1.8 mi) southeast of Idö and about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Spårö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7082; NGA 8216.
Kungsgrundet
1956. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); two long (2 s) white flashes every 15 s. 29 m (95 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black with one red horizontal band; lantern painted white. Trabas has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, and AGA Tekniska has a 1960 photo. Accessible only by boat. Located in the Baltic Sea about 10 km (6 mi) east of Lindödjupet. ARLHS SWE-225; Admiralty C7078; NGA 8212.
Hamnklabbshällan
1947. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) east of the Bussgrund lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-177; Admiralty C7084; NGA 8208.
Spårö Bak
Spårö Bak, April 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Andreas Nilsson
Bussgrund
1940. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted red, lantern white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) east of the island of Händelöp, southeast of Västervik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-112; Admiralty C7108; NGA 8200.
Alhällen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a black base. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 1.5 km (1 mi) east of the island of Eknö. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C7110; NGA 8196.
Mannen
1940. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal lantern and gallery, painted white with a green roof. A photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a skerry just off the island of Älö. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C7124; NGA 8172.

Oskarshamn Lighthouses
Vinokraken
Date unknown (station established 1940). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with an octagonal iron lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest of the Vinö Bredhäll light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7130; NGA 8164.
Strupö Ljungskär
1940. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available (2/3 the way down the page), and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 1.5 km (1 mi) northeast of the Vinö Bredhäll light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-379; Admiralty C7132; NGA 8160.
Vinö Bredhäll
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); very quick-flashing white, red or green light, depending on direction, interrupted once every 6 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted white with a black horizontal band, mounted on a black base. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry on the west side of the northern entrance to the Kalmarsund about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Blankaholm and 5 km (3 mi) east of Vinö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7137; NGA 8150.
Gröttlan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); two falshes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern, painted red with a white roof, mounted on a round concrete base. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry off Gröttlan, about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Oskarshamn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7146; NGA 8124.
** Blå Jungfrun Östra (2) (relocated)
1953 (station established 1926). Inactive since 2002; a decorative light is probably displayed. 9.5 m (31 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. This light stood on the eastern point of Blå Jungfrun island (see below). After deactivation it was relocated and restored as an exhibit of the Oskarshamns Sjöfartsmuseum (maritime museum). Located next to the museum, on the Södra Långgatan at the Vikingsgatan in downtown Oskarshamn. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Oskarshamns Sjöfartsmuseum. ARLHS SWE-095; ex-Admiralty C7306.
Stötbotten
1981. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 13 m (43 ft) tower, painted red. Trabas also has a photo. Located about 5 km (3 mi) east of the Oskarshamn harbor entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-375; Admiralty C7295.5; NGA 8104.
Blå Jungfrun Ostra Fyr
Blå Jungfruns Ostra Light, Oskarshamn, July 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Anchor2009
Rödskär
Date unknown. Inactive since 2007. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. SFA has a photo by D. Eriksson, and Google has a satellite view. The former light is still listed as a daybeacon. Located on a skerry in the northern approaches to Oskarshamn about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest of the Finnrevet lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-5586; ex-Admiralty C7290; NGA 8064.
Finnrevet
1921. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one black horizontal band. Trabas has a distant view, Wikimedia has a view from the nearby island of Furö, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal on the southeast side of Furö, about 10 km (6 mi) east of Oskarshamn. Accessible only by boat, but the lighthouse can be viewed from ferries from Oskarshamn to Gotland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-013; Admiralty C7292; NGA 8052.
Blå Jungfrun Västra
1953. Reactivated; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 6 s off. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red band at the base. A photo is at right, and Google has a distant satellite view. This light disappeared from light lists, but it has been reactivated with the red band added. Blå Jungfrun is an island in the north end of the Kalmarsund, about 18 km (11 mi) east of Oskarshamn on the mainland and 10 km (6 mi) west of the northwest coast of Öland. The island is a national park. Located on the west side of the island; probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Blå Jungfrun National Park. Admiralty C7308; NGA 8048.
Blå Jungfruns Västra Fyr
Blå Jungfruns Västra Light, Blå Jungfrun, June 2003
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Anchor2009

Mönsterås Lighthouses
** Dämman (1)
1873. Inactive since 1968. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted red with white trim; lantern dome is greenish metallic. The 3rd order Fresnel lens from this lighthouse was transferred to the new lighthouse and then in 1978 to the Häradskär lighthouse in the Nyköping area. In 1999 the abandoned lighthouse was restored and renovated as a hotel and conference center; the Carters have a photo taken during the renovation. The building has been expanded; Huelse has a historic postcard view showing its original appearance. Located on a tiny island in the center of the Kalmarsund, about 12 km (7 mi) west of Sandvik and a similar distance north of Borgholm; the island is not visible in Google's satellite view. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower open to guests of the hotel. Owner/site manager: VattenHotellet på Dämmans Fyrplats (Waterhotel at Dämman Lighthouse). ARLHS SWE-113.
Dämman (2)
1968 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); one long flash every 8 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round pier. Entire lighthouse painted red. Trabas has a very distant view, and Arnholm has a panoramic view showing both the old and new Dämman lighthouses. Located on a shoal a short distance east of the historic Dämmans Fyr (previous entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-114; SV-5621; Admiralty C7324; NGA 7996.
Slottsbredan
1944. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted black with one green horizontal band; lantern painted white. Trabas has a distant view. Located on a shoal about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Borgholm, Öland. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-353; Admiralty C7332; NGA 7976.
Dämman Fyr
Dämman Light from S/V Röde Orm, September 2007
Flickr photo copyright Magnus Perman; used by permission

Kalmar (Kalmar Channel) Lighthouses
Note: These lights mark the dredged channel through the narrow section of the Kalmarsund at Kalmar. SFA has a 1946 article that includes (at the top of the page) a chart showing the locations of the lighthouses. Since 1972 the channel has been crossed by the 6 km (3.75 mi) long Öland Bridge (Ölandsbron).
Sillåsen
1944. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 3 s off. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a conical iron pier. Upper half of the lighthouse painted white, lower half black. Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse, which marks a narrow passage in the northern Kalmarsund, replaced the former Skäggenäs lighthouse on the mainland. Located about 2 km (1.25 mi) east of Revsudden. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-338; Admiralty C7340; NGA 7952.
Masknaggen
1962. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); quick-flashing light, white, red or green depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) tower, painted black with an orange band at the top. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the Kalmarsund about 7 km (4.5 mi) northeast of Kalmar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-277; Admiralty C7350; NGA 7904.
Krongrundet
1940. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a conical iron pier. Lighthouse painted white with a green horizontal band between the galleries and a black horizontal band at the base. Trabas has a photo, SFA has a historic photo (near the bottom of the page), and Google has a satellite view. Located at the north entrance to the channel, about 800 m (1/2 mi) north of the Öland bridge (Ölandsbron). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-432; Admiralty C7352; NGA 7880.
Osvallsgrundet
1939. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a conical iron pier. Lighthouse painted red with one black horizontal band below the gallery. Trabas has a photo, Rikke Lind has a wider view, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 500 km (0.3 mi) northeast of the Huvudet lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7358; NGA 7876.
Huvudet
1940s. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); three flashes every 4 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a conical iron pier. Lighthouse painted red with one black horizontal band at the best. Piet and Anneke Admiraal's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, a good 2008 closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 2 km (1.25 mi) northeast of the Skansgrundet lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C7358.4; NGA 7872.
Huvudet Fyr
Huvudet Light, Kalmarsund, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Piet and Anneke Admiraal
Skansgrundet (Grimskär) (3)
1940 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 13 s on, 2 s off, 3 s on, 2 s off. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a conical concrete pier. Tower painted black with one broad green horizontal band; lantern painted white. Oleg Alferov has a 2009 photo, Arnholm has a photo, SFA has a photo by D. Eriksson, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse replaced the historic 1878 Grimskär lighthouse, seen in Huelse's postcard view. Located on a shoal about 800 m (1/2 mi) southeast of the Kalmar waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-346; SV-5807; Admiralty C7390; NGA 7844.

Torsås (Southern Kalmarsund) Lighthouses
*** Garpen (2)
1934 (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 8 s. 27 m (89 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted gray concrete; lantern painted white. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, painted red. Robban Andersson's photo is at right, Anke and Jens have a page for the lighthouse, an excellent closeup photo is available, Arnholm has a good view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of the original brick lighthouse, which was demolished because winter weather had cracked the bricks. Overnight accommodations are available in the keeper's houses, and there is a small café. Located on a small island in the southern Kalmarsund about 3 km (2 mi) east of Bergkvara. Accessible only by boat; transportation is provided in the summer from the Bergkvara Marina. Site open, tower open daily late June to late August and on weekends late May to late June. ARLHS SWE-145; SV-5845; Admiralty C7416; NGA 7776.
Utgrunden
1947 (lightship station established 1866). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); one long flash every 8 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 29 m (95 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a conical concrete pier. A tall communications tower has been added to the top of the lighthouse, and a continuous red aircraft warning light is shown at the top (focal plane 90 m (295 ft). Trabas has a distant view, and SFA has an illustrated article describing (in Swedish) the design and construction of the lighthouse. The Utgrunden area is now the site of a huge windfarm. Located on a shoal in the southern entrance to the Kalmarsund about 9 km (5.5 mi) east of Enebacken and a similar distance west of Degerhamn, Öland. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-405; Admiralty C7420; NGA 7780.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Grimskär (1837-1940?), Kalmar (replaced by the offshore Skansgrundet lighthouse). ARLHS SWE-156.
  • Skäggenäs (1883-1944?), near Revsudden (replaced by the offshore Sillåsen lighthouse).

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • Västerviks Museum, Västervik. This modern tower is not listed as an aid to navigation.
Garpen Light
Garpen Light, Bergkvara, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Robban Andersson

Adjoining pages: North: Nyköping Area | East: Öland | South: Blekinge

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted June 4, 2007. Checked and revised August 29, 2013. Lighthouses: 42. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.