Lighthouses of Sweden: Western Bothnia

This page covers lighthouses of Västerbotten (Western Bothnia) county (Västerbottens Län) in northern Sweden. Västerbotten faces the northern end of the Gulf of Bothnia. This northernmost extension of the Baltic Sea is known in Sweden as the Bothnian Bay (Bottenviken). It is shallow, with numerous shoals and islands, creating a need for many navigational aids. The southern part of Västerbotten faces a narrower section of the Gulf known as the Norra Kvarken (northern throat or northern strait).

Aids to navigation in Sweden are maintained by the Swedish Maritime Administration (Sjöfartsverket). Many of the major lighthouses have resident attendents, and guided tours can often be arranged. The Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet) works for the preservation of the lighthouses.

The Swedish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the nedrefyr (lower light) and the rear light is the övrefyr (upper light).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. SV numbers are from the Sjöfarsverket light list (Fyrlista) as reported by the Swedish Lighthouse Society. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet, SFA)
The Society has a large web site, and some of the information is available in English as well as Swedish. An interactive map links to pdf pages (in Swedish) for the major lighthouses, and there is a list of photos available.
Svenska Fyrar på Norrlandskusten av Esbjörn Hillberg
Photos by Esbjörn Hillberg posted on the SFA web site.
Online Lists of Lights - Sweden
Photos by various photographers posted by Alex Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Sweden
Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in Sweden
Photos posted by Marinas.com.
Schwedische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Pite-Rönnskär Fyr
Pite-Rönnskär Light, Skellefteå, August 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Jörgen Lundqvist

Skellefteå Lighthouses
Nygrån (2)
Around 1970 (station established 1958). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 6 s off. 21 m (69 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one black horizontal band. Only a poor photo is available. There's a drawing of the original lighthouse, which was overthrown by ice in 1969. Located on a shoal in the Gulf of Bothnia about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Jävrebyn and about 6 km (4 mi) east of the Pite-Rönnskär lighthouse. (It's not clear if this is in Västerbotten or Norrbotten.) Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-297; Admiralty C5789; NGA 11476.
Pite-Rönnskär (2)
1862 (relocated here in 1905; this station established 1880). Reactivated (inactive 1958-2005, now privately maintained and unofficial); focal plane 37 m (121 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 37 m (121 ft) round cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and central cylinder. The original rotating 3rd order Fresnel lens is in use. Entire lighthouse painted red. Jörgen Lundqvist's photo is above, Hillberg has several photos (1/6 the way down the page), a 2007 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is the tallest of the Heidenstam class skeletal towers. Originally the lighthouse was one of twin towers at Sandhammaren in Scania. It was deactivated there is 1891, dismantled in 1904, and rebuilt here in 1905. The lighthouse marked the beginning of the approach to Piteå; it was deactivated in 1958 in favor of the Nygrån Fyr, which was built farther out in the gulf. The lighthouse was reactivated in 2005, on its 100th anniversary on Pite-Ronnskär, through the efforts of summer residents who have cabins on the island. Located on an island about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Jävrebyn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-329; SV-0470.1.
Bergskäret (2)
Date unknown (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an island on the south side of the entrance to the Kagefjärd, about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Skellefteå. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-090; Admiralty C5805; NGA 11460.
Gåsören (1) (Gamla Gasören)
1881. Reactivated (inactive 1921-2003, now privately maintained); focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white light occulting once every 10 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) lantern and gallery mounted at one end of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is greenish metallic. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg has several photos (1/4 the way down the page), a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The building continued in use as the keeper's house for the 1921 lighthouse. In 1992 the lighthouse was acquired by the Skellefteå section of the Svenska Kryssarklubben (Swedish seacruising club). The club restored the building and reactivated it, although its light is primarily decorative. Located on an island off the entrance to Skelleftehamn, the harbor of Skellefteå. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-148; Admiralty C5810.5; NGA 11384.2.
Gåsören (2)
1921 (station established 1881). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two long (2 s) flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band under the gallery. Thomas Hedman's photo is at right, Hillberg has several photos (1/4 the way down the page), a 2008 closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located near the historic lighthouse, on an island off the entrance to Skelleftehamn, the harbor of Skellefteå. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-017; SV-0634; Admiralty C5810; NGA 11384.
Gåsören Light
1921 Gåsören Light, Skellefteå
Skellefteå Kommun photo by Thomas Hedman
Kopparudden
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6.5 m (21 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in an industrial area at the north side of the entrance to Skelleftehamn, the harbor of Skellefteå. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5813; NGA 11388.
* Bjuröklubb
1859 (pilot station established 1821). Active; focal plane 51 m (167 ft); white light, 8 s on, 2 s off. 7.5 m (25 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house and pilot station. Original 2nd order Fresnel lens in use. The tower is unpainted; lantern dome painted white, house painted yellow. David Arvidsson's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Peter Samuelsson has a 2008 photo, Hillberg has two photos (1/4 the way down the page), Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This historic light station is the landfall light for Skellefteå, marking the south entrance to an embayment leading to the town. Renovated in 2006-07, the station now includes a café and conference center, with overnight accommodations available. The surrounding area is a nature preserve with hiking trails. Bjuröklubb itself is a headland marking the division between the Bothnian Bay and the Norra Kvarken (Northern Strait). Located on a promontory about 15 km (9 mi) northeast of Lövånger. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Bjuröklubbs Fyr. ARLHS SWE-094; SV-0697; Admiralty C5826; NGA 11356.
Bjuröklubb Sector
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal lantern mounted on a round concrete pad. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the northeast corner of the Bjuröklubb promontory, about 400 m (1/4 mi) northeast of the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5828; NGA 11360.
Blackkallen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 6 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a conical concrete base. Lighthouse painted white with one black horizontal band. Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 10 km (6 mi) east of Lövånger. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5832; NGA 11352.
Bjuröklubb Fyr
Bjuröklubbs Light, Skellefteå, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by David Arvidsson
Kallviksklubben
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing white light, white, red or green depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) square tower with a round lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Ratan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5833; NGA 11328.

Robertsfors Lighthouses
Vannskär
1920. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 11.5 m (37 ft) cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete base. Tower painted with black and white spiral bands (very unusual for Sweden), lantern painted red. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island about 8 m (5 mi) east of Sikeå Hamn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-416; Admiralty C5840; NGA 11324.
Rata Storgrund
1975. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted white, lower half red. No photo available, and the light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on a shoal in the Gulf of Bothnia about 10 km (6 mi) due east of Ratan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-318; Admiralty C5847; NGA 11308.
Rataskär (Ratanskär, Ratan Nedrefyr) (2)
1890 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 6 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 6 s off. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 1-story wood building. Original 4th order Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted white. A photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, Hillberg has two photos (1/3 the way down the page), Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Jukka Liedes has a 2010 photo that also shows the rear beacon and the 3-story former pilot tower. Located on a small island about 1.6 km (1 mi) northeast of Ratan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-319; SV-0755; Admiralty C5848; NGA 11300.
Rataskär Övrefyr (Rataskärs Båk)
1828. Inactive. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal wood tower with a pyramidal wood roof. Tower painted dark red except for the side facing the range line, which is painted in a red and white checkerboard pattern. This is an old beacon still maintained as the rear tower of a day range; for a time it also carried a light. A photo is at right, Jukka Liedes has a 2010 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 100 m (110 yd) west northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed.
Rataskär Fyr
Rataskärs Light (right) and Rataskärs Båk, Robertsfors
Västerbottens Museum photo
* Ratan Södra
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal lantern mounted on a concrete pad. Trabas has a closeup photo, Hillberg has a photo (1/3 the way down the page), and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the southern entrance to Ratan harbor, which is sheltered by the island of Rataskär. Site open, tower closed. SV-0759; Admiralty C5852; NGA 11304.

Holmöarna Lighthouses
Note: The Holmöarna (Holmön Archipelago) is a chain of islands about 18 km (11 mi) long, stretching north to south in the Gulf of Bothnia east northeast of Umeå. The largest island, Holmön, at the northern end of the chain, has a small settlement, also called Holmön. Since 1974 the islands have been administered as part of the Umeå municipality.
Stora Fjäderägg
1851 (Carl Sandell). Inactive since 2008. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Two 1-story wood keeper's houses and other station buildings. The light station is now used as a bird banding station operated by the Västerbottens Ornitologiska Förening. Åke Samuelsson has a 2009 photo, Hillberg has a photo (1/3 the way down the page), and Google has a satellite view. The light failed in the summer of 2008, and since the lighthouse was scheduled for deactivation within the next few years the Sjöfartsverket did not repair it. Located on an island at the northeastern end of the Holmöarna, about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of Holmön. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-063; SV-0780; ex-Admiralty C5856; NGA 11256.
** Bergudden (2)
1896 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 3 s off. 18 m (59 ft) square shingle-covered wood tower with gallery and a pyramidal metal roof; the light is shown through a large square window. The lighthouse is covered by brown-stained wood shingles with a rectangular white daymark painted on the southwest side; the metal roof is greenish. 1-story wood keeper's house and other station buildings. Åke Samuelsson's photo is at right, Eric Nyström has a 2009 photo of the station, Wikimedia has a photo, Hillberg has two photos (almost halfway down the page), Trabas has a distant view, Marinas.com has an aerial photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Leased to the Holmöns Folklore Society, the station is operated as a hostel with overnight accommodations during the summer. Located on the west side of the island of Holmön. Site open, tower open for tours May 15 through September 30. Site manager: Holmöns Hembygdsförening. ARLHS SWE-091; SV-0793; Admiralty C5864; NGA 11272.
Nordvalen
1960. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with two galleries and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted with red and black horizontal bands. A photo is available, and Trabas has a distant view. Located in the center of the Gulf of Bothnia (midway between Sweden and Finland) about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of the Holmögadd lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-050; Admiralty C5874; NGA 11248.
Bergudden Light
Bergudden Light, Holmön, August 2009
Flickr photo copyright Åke Samuelsson; used by permission
Holmögadd (5)
1854 (Carl Sandell) (station established 1760). Inactive since 2009. 21 m (69 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted gray stone; lantern painted black with a white roof. 3rd order Fresnel lens (1896) in use. Two 1-story wood keeper's houses and other station buildings. Hillberg has several photos (almost halfway down the page), Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is the oldest light station in the north of Sweden. The original basket light was replaced by a masonry tower in 1782, but due to poor construction that tower had to be replaced three years later. A tower with the same height as the present one was built in 1828, but it also proved defective in design. In the mid 1850s the new lighthouse was part of a Swedish Navy network of meteorological stations, one of the first such networks to be established. Admiral Johan Henrik Kreüger, who founded the network, tested early anemometers and other weather instruments here. This station was staffed until 2003, making it the last staffed station in Sweden. In recent years, the Sjöfartsverket announced several times its intention to deactivate the light. This decision was strongly opposed locally, but ultimately to no avail. In November 2008 the light was reported "temporarily" extinguished, and it seems it will not be repaired. Located at the southern tip of the Holmöarna. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-014; ex-SV-0826; ex-Admiralty C5870; NGA 11128.

Umeå Lighthouses
Fjärdgrund (2)
Date unknown (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 12 s. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band below the gallery. A 2008 photo and another photo are available, Hillberg has a photo (almost halfway down the page), and Bing has a satellite view. The foundation ruins of the original keeper's house are next to the lighthouse. Located on a small island about 1 km (0.6 mi) south of the ferry terminal at Holmsund; ferries from here cross the Gulf of Bothnia to Vaasa, Finland. Accessible only by boat, but there's a great view from the ferries. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-014; SV-0858; Admiralty C5888; NGA 11180.
Bredskärssund (Bredskär) Nedre
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing white light. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a closeup photo, Hillberg has a photo (1/3 the way down the page), and Bing has a satellite view. The rear light is in a small round lantern on a stone base. Located on Obbolaö, an island in the entrance to Holmgrund. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5884; NGA 11164.
Holmögadd Fyr
Holmögadds Light, Holmön
Västerbottens Museum photo
Revet
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two flashes every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located about 3 km (2 mi) south of Holmsund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5887.5; NGA 11160.
Storbränningen
1968. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern white. Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Holmsund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5882; NGA 11136.
Väktaren
1968. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two long (2 s) flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Teemu Vehkaoja's photo is at right, Hillberg has a photo (halfway down the page), a wintry photo shows the lighthouse in silhouette, Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) south of Holmsund and 12 km (7.5 mi) south of Umeå. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5881; NGA 11140.
Gunvorsgrund
1971. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available. Located in the Gulf of Bothnia about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Umeå. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-165; Admiralty C5880; NGA 11132.

Nordmaling Lighthouses
Lögaren
1966. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19.5 m (64 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a black base. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located in the Gulf of Bothnia about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Hörnefors. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-265; Admiralty C5903; NGA 11058.
Bonden
1913. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 20 m (66 ft) cylindrical tower, upper half round and lower half square, with lantern and gallery. Upper half of lighthouse painted black, lower half white; lantern painted white. Anders Enetjärn has a closeup photo, and a 2009 photo is available, but Bing has only a fuzzy satellite view of the reef. Located on a small island about 11 km (7 mi) southeast of Norrbyn; the island, a nature preserve, is a favorite destination for sea kayakers. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-101; Admiralty C5920; NGA 11056.
Sydostbrotten
1963 (lightship station established 1862). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); three long (2.5 s) white flashes every 20 s. 34 m (112 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with three galleries and a helipad on top, centered on a round 2-story concrete crew building. Lighthouse painted red with two horizontal black bands. A photo is available. Located about 20 km (13 mi) out in the Gulf of Bothnia and 30 km (19 mi) south of Umeå. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-068; Admiralty C5923; NGA 11044.
Vaktarens Fyr
Väktarens Light, July 2009
contributed photo copyright Teemu Vehkaoja
used by permission
Norbyskär
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (21 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of Norrbyn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5910; NGA 11068.
Norra Långrogrundet
1962. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Located in the Gulf of Bothnia about 16 km (10 mi) southeast of Nordmaling. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-294; Admiralty C5925; NGA 11004.
Storbåden
1890. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) round tower, painted white with a black horizontal band. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island in the center of the entrance to the bay leading to Nordmaling, about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of the town. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-373; Admiralty C5928; NGA 10996.
Kyrkhälludden
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 7.5 m (25 ft) concrete post light with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red horizontal band below the gallery. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a promontory about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Nordmaling. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5938; NGA 11020.
Vallinsgrundet
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); one long white flash every 12 s. 20 m (66 ft) round tower, painted red; lantern painted white. Hillberg has a photo (halfway down the page). NGA misspells the name as Villinsgrundet. Located about 10 km (6 mi) south of Nordmaling (it's not clear if this location is in Västerbotten or in neighboring Västernorrland). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5925.4; NGA 11000.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern Bothnia | South: Västernorrland

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted August 20, 2007. Checked and revised June 18, 2013. Lighthouses: 33. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.