Lighthouses of Sweden: Lake Vänern

This page includes the lighthouses of Lake Vänern, Europe's third largest lake, in southern Sweden. Lake Vänern and its smaller neighbor Lake Vättern are part of an inland waterway that connects Göteborg on the Kattegat to Mem on the Baltic Sea. With a surface about 44 m (144 ft) above sea level, Lake Vänern is connected to the Kattegat by the Göta Alv river and the Trollhätte Canal and to the Baltic (via Lake Vättern) by the Göta Canal.

The listing on this page is counterclockwise around the lake, starting at Kristinehamn at the northeast corner.

The Swedish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the nedrefyr (lower light) and the rear light is the övrefyr (upper light). Aids to navigation in Sweden are maintained by the Swedish Maritime Administration (Sjöfartsverket).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights; SV numbers are from the Sjöfarsverket light list (Fyrlista) as reported by the Swedish Lighthouse Society; and Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. The lighthouses of the lake are not included on the NGA List.

General Sources
Swedish Lighthouse Society (Svenska Fyrsällskapet, SFA)
The Society has a large web site, and some of the information is available in English as well as Swedish. An interactive map links to pdf pages (in Swedish) for the major lighthouses, and there is a list of photos available.
Online List of Lights - Sweden
Photos of navigational aids posted by Alex Trabas.
Svenska Fyrar i Vänern och Vättern
This page on the SFA web site has photos of many of the lake lighthouses by Esbjörn Hillberg.
Schwedische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Stavikens Fyr
Staviken Light, Värmlandsnäs, 2009
photo copyright Gunno Quist; used by permission

North Coast (Värmland County) Lighthouses

Kristinehamn Area Lighthouses
Lakholmen (2)
1911 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); four flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted white; house painted red with white trim. A photo is at right, a winter 2010 photo is available, another photo is available (almost halfway down the page), there is also a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Brattsand. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C6714.
Strandudde Nedre
1940. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white light, 0.75 s on, 0.75 s off. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical wood tower, painted white. The light is shown through a square window. Trabas has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to Kristinehamn, at the northeast corner of the lake. Site status unknown. SV-9752; Admiralty C6715.
Strandudde Övre (2)
1940 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white light, 0.75 s on, 0.75 s off. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical wood tower attached to one end of a 1-story wood keeper's house. The light is shown from a small platform perched atop the tower. Tower painted white, house red with white trim. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is about 2/3 the way down his page, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to Kristinehamn, at the northeast corner of the lake. Site status unknown. SV-9752.01; Admiralty C6715.001.
Lakholmens Fyr
Lakholmen Light, Brattsand, August 2009
Flickr photo copyright IngelaSE; permission requested

Hammarö Area Lighthouses
Söököjan (2)
1866 (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); four long (2 s) flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Tower painted white, house red. A nice view from the lake is available, Trabas also has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was a small lantern fixed to the gable of the house. Located on an island in the northeastern corner of the lake, about 3 km (2 mi) east of Rud. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-360; SV-9680; Admiralty C6712.711.
* Mårrholmen (2)
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red of green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) tower with lantern, painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Mårrholmen is an inhabited island in the entrance to the harbor of Karlstad. Located at the northeastern end of the island. Site status unknown. Admiralty C6713.28.
* Hammarö Skage
1872. Inactive since 1932. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Tower and lake side of the house painted white as a continuing daymark; the rest of the house is painted red. Daniel Frost's photo is at right, Anders Bostrom has a fine 2008 photo, Guillermo Aguilar has a photo, another good photo and a 2007 closeup are available, Hillberg's photo is a little more than 1/2 the way down his page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was built on the same plan as the Söököjan lighthouse (see above). After deactivation, the lighthouse was acquired by a private lighthouse society. Located at the tip of a peninsula projecting southward into the lake, about 6 km (3.5 mi) southeast of Hammarö. Site open, building closed except for guests of the society. ARLHS SWE-175; SV-9703.
* Skoghall (3)
1935 (?) (station established 1804). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two long flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is a little more than 1/2 the way down his page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The original light, the first light built on the lake, was replaced in 1855. Located on the tip of a peninsula at the entrance to the harbor of Skoghall, on the west side of Hammarö. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-348; SV-9662; Admiralty C6711.
Risnäsudde (2)
1935 (?) (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is about halfway down his page, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land on the west side of the entrance to the arm of the lake leading to Grums, about 5 km (3 mi) south southeast of the town. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-322; SV-9615; Admiralty C6798.5.
Hammarö Skage Light
Hammarö Skage Light, Hammarö, November 2009
Flickr photo copyright Daniel Frost; used by permission

Säffle (Värmlandsnäs) Area Lighthouses
Note: Värmlandsnäs is a peninsula projecting into the northwestern section of Lake Vänern.
* Stavik (Staviken, Stavikens)
1860. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13.5 m (44 ft) hexagonal wood-shingled tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Gunno Quist's photo is at the top of this page; SFA has a recent closeup photo, also by Gunno Quist, that shows the siding installed on the tower in 2003; Trabas also has a closeup; Frits van Eck has a closeup; Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the small keeper's cottage; and Google has a satellite view. This light station has been occupied by the same family since its establishment. After the last keeper retired from the house in 1973, the family rented the property as a summer home. In 2003 the current generation, Anna-Lena and Gunno Quist, purchased the station and completely restored the lighthouse. The new wood siding replaced concrete tiles that had covered the tower since the 1950s. The Sjöfartsverket continues to maintain the light. In 2007 the family offered the station for rent for vacationers. Located on a point of land on the west side of the lake near the base of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula, about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of Värmlandsbro; Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: private. ARLHS SWE-367; SV-9611; Admiralty C6798.
Stora Klubben (2)
1917 (station established 1853). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4.5 m (15 ft) octagonal wood lighthouse with lantern, painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an small island just off the southern tip of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula about 6 km (3.5 mi) north of the Stångudden lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-372; SV-9392; Admiralty C0415.37.
Gunnarsholmen Övre
1852. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); quick-flashing light, white or red depending on direction. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) light tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, Hillberg's photo is the fifth on his page, a view from the lake is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an small island off the southwestern side of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of the Stångudden lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-164; SV-9378; Admiralty C0415.351.
** Duseudde (Säffle)
1867. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square lantern room mounted at the gable of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. The house is painted red, but the lake side is painted white as a daymark. The building has been converted into a restaurant. Haci Bozkurt's photo is at right, Svend Ole Kvilesjø has a photo, Trabas has a good closeup, Wikimedia has a photo of the station, Hillberg's photo is the fourth on the page, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Säffle, on the north coast of an embayment called the Dalbosjön. The light is in or near a popular campground. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-118; SV-9291; Admiralty C0415.253.
Duseudde Fyr
Duseudde Light, Säffle, July 2006
Panoramio photo copyright Haci Bozkurt; used by permission

South Coast (Västra Götaland County) Lighthouses

Åmål and Mellerud Area Lighthouses
* Åmål (Mål) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1891). Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); continuous red light. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is gray metallic. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the marina entrance in Åmål. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C0415.24.
Fogden (4)
1935 (station established 1851). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal pyramidal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one narrow red horizontal band. A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the third lighthouse, built in 1908 with a light tower attached to the keeper's house. The second lighthouse (1869) had a lantern on the roof of the keeper's house. Located on a small island in the entrance to Åmål. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-140; SV-9280; Admiralty C0415.22.
Långö Yttre Nedre (2)
1936 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (17 ft) square wood shed standing on a square stone pedestal; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo. Located on the western shore of the lake near Köpmannebro. Site status unknown. Admiralty C0415.196.
Långö Yttre Övre (2)
1936 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); quick-flashing red light. 5 m (17 ft) square wood shed standing with gallery standing on a square skeletal tower; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo. Located 86 m (282 ft) west of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty C0415.197.

Fogdens Fyr
Fogden Light, August 2007
Panoramio photo copyright zdeno84; permission requested

Megrundet (2)
1919 (lightship station established 1881). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white; lantern painted red. A photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This lighthouse replaced a lightship station established in 1881. The firm of Stenungsunds Hamntjänst AB recently refurbished the light. Located on a rocky reef in the middle of the Dalbosjön basin of the lake, about 16 km (10 mi) east of Mellerud. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-279; SV-9234; Admiralty C0415.187.
* Hjortens Udde
1852 (Nils Gustaf von Heidenstam). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal cast iron tower, covered with wood siding, with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Frits van Eck has a closeup photo, Trabas also has a closeup, SFA has a photo by S. Björnson, Hillberg's photo is the third on the page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is one of the oldest lighthouses designed by Heidenstam. It remains in service, although the offshore Hjortgrundet Fyr (SV-9226) may be more important for navigation now. The Sjöfartsverket repaired the tower in 2007-08. Located on a prominent cape on the west side of the lake about 12 km (7.5 mi) east southeast of Mellerud. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-192; SV-9224; Admiralty C0415.18.

Vänersborg Area Lighthouses
* Gälleudde (1)
1864. Inactive since 1906. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, painted red with white trim. The light, originally mounted on the gable of the house, was moved to a free-standing tower in 1906. The keeper's house continued in service and is still occupied by a resident keeper. Huelse's historic postcard view shows the new tower and the gallery of the former light tower attached to the gable. The station is located on a promontory on the west side of the lake about 9 km (5.5 mi) northwest of the Trollhätte Canal at Vänersborg. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby or from the lake.
* Gälleudde (2)
1906 (station established 1864). Inactive since 2009. 15.5 m (51 ft) square cast iron skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. Frits van Eck's photo is at right, Trabas has a good photo, Bosse Arnholm has a fine view from the lake, SFA has a photo by S. Björnson, Hillberg's photo is the second on the page, and Google has a satellite view. Endangered. In 2007 the Sjöfartsverket announced its intention to demolish the lighthouse and replace it with a modern tower. There were immediate protests, and the provincial government of Västra Götaland refused to grant a building permit for the new tower. As of late 2008, the case was in the courts. In March 2009, the Sjöfartsverket announced that the light (focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two long flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction) has been moved to a mast outside the lighthouse. The station is located on a promontory on the west side of the lake about 9 km (5.5 mi) northwest of the Trollhätte Canal at Vänersborg. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby or from the lake. ARLHS SWE-143; SV-9221; Admiralty C0415.15.
* [Bastungen (2)]
1873 (station established 1807). Inactive since 1935. 3-story wood keeper's house. The wood is stained a dark brown. The first photo on Hillberg's page shows this building, but trees hide the building in Google's satellite view of the area. The light was shown from an octagonal tower in front of the house, but that tower was demolished when the light was deactivated. The light guided vessels as they left the Trollhätte Canal at Vänersborg. The house has been purchased by the town of Vänersborg. Located on the west coast of the lake about 1 km (0.6 mi) north of the canal exit. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Town of Vänersborg. ARLHS SWE-434.
Gälleudde Light
1906 Gälleudde Light, Sörbo, May 2010
Flickr photo copyright Frits van Eck; used by permission

Kållandsö Area Lighthouses
Naven
1856. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round light tower with lantern and gallery, mounted atop the gable of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Robert Lidberg's photo is at right, SFA has photos by S. Björnson, Gunnar Mathiason has a photo, Hans Bleeker has a good photo, Hillberg's photo is the fifth on his page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. A small vippfyr (bucket light) was in use here in 1830. Located on a small island off the northwest side of Kållandsö, a large island barely separated from the mainland, about 15 km (9 mi) north northwest of Lidköping. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-287; SV-9406; Admiralty C0415.45.
Norra Klasgrundet
1909. Inactive since 2008. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted red. Hans Bleeker has a distant view (2/3 the way down the page), and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on a shoal about 6 km (3.5 mi) west of Spiken, off the north coast of Kållandsö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C0415.46.
Pålgrunden
1958. Active; focal plane about 9 m (30 ft); two long flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, but the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. This lighthouse marks the narrowest passage of the lake, north of the island of Kållandsö and south of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula. Located about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Granvik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-310; SV-9426; Admiralty C0415.465.
Navens Fyr
Naven Light, Kållandsö, April 2009
Flickr photo copyright Robert Lidberg; permission requested

Lurö Area Lighthouses
** Trädgårdsholmen
1863. Inactive. Octagonal lantern room mounted on a gable of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted red with white trim. Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was deactivated in 1915 and relocated to Ekenäs in the 1930s. It was relocated a second time to Lurö in the early 1990s; in 1995-96 it was rebuilt, with additional rooms and a new faux lantern, as part of a resort development. The house is available for overnight accommodations. Located on the west side of Lurö, about 2 km (1.25 mi) northwest of the active Stångudden lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, lighthouse open to paying guests. Owner/site manager: Luringen Guesthouse. ARLHS SWE-395.
Stångudden (Lurö) (2)
1905 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round light tower with lantern and gallery, mounted atop the gable of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, a closeup and another photo are available, Hillberg's photo is about 1/5 the way down the page, and Google has a satellite view. The area is a nature reserve. Located on the southeast side of Lurö off the southern tip of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula and about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of the Pålgrunden lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-366; SV-9446; Admiralty C0415.49.
Lilla Bratten
1906. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultmanan, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on an small island off the northeastern side of Lurö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-9452; Admiralty C0415.52.
Lurö Röskär
1915. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery; the light is now displayed from a short mast atop the lantern. Lighthouse painted white. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry about 7 km (4.5 mi) south of the tip of the Värmlandsnäs peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-9449; Admiralty C0415.5.

Lidköping Area Lighthouses
Lidköping (3)
1911 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. A photo is at right, Trabas has a good photo, Hillberg's closeup photo is halfway the way down the page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The first Lidköping lighthouse, a small wood tower, was relocated to Hällekis (next entry) in 1871. The second was also a wood building, with a lantern on the roof. Located at the end of the east jetty of Lidköping. Site status unknown, but there should be good views of the lighthouse from shore. ARLHS SWE-237; SV-9590; Admiralty C6797.85.
Hällekis
1852 (relocated here in 1871). Inactive since 1967. 4.5 m (15 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is black. A closeup photo is available, Jennifer Colley has another photo, Hillberg's photo is a little over halfway the way down the page, and Google has a satellite view. This is the original Lidköping lighthouse (previous entry), which was relocated to this location 1871. Located at the end of a mole at Hällekis, a small port about 16 km (10 mi) northeast of Lidköping. Site status unknown, but there should be good views of the lighthouse from shore.
Lidköping Fyr
Lidköping Light, Lidköping, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by xjyxjy

Djurö Lighthouse
Djurö (2)
1912 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, Magnus Lundgren also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was a lantern mounted on the keeper's house. Djurö, an island near the center of the lake, has been a national park since 1991. Located at the northeastern point of the island. The island is accessible only by boat; a hiking trail leads to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Djurö National Park. ARLHS SWE-115; SV-9463; Admiralty C0415.555.

Mariestad Area Lighthouses
Gullsjö Nedre
1902. Inactive since 1950. 9 m (30 ft) hexagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. An article on the lighthouse has a closeup photo of the lantern, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was restored by its owners, Nils and Sibylla Gustavsson. Located on a small island about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west northwest of the Viknäsudde lighthouse (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
Viknäsudde
Date unknown (station established 1902). Inactive. 6 m (20 ft) hexagonal skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion and lantern. Lighthouse painted white, skeletal legs red. A good photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. A boater has a small photo and comments (almost halfway down the page) "Tyvärr är den släckt" (unfortunately it is inactive), but it appears to be well maintained as a daybeacon. Located off the end of a long peninsula, marking a narrow passage between the mainland and the island of Onsö about 8 km (5 mi) west of Mariestad. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Nolhagen Nedre (1) (?) (relocated to Mariestad)
1904(?). Inactive. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) hexagonal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern white. Knut Barby's photo is at right, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse has been relocated to the middle of the Göteborgsrondellen, a traffic roundabout in Mariestad at the intersection of Göteborgsvägen and Marieforsleden. We do not know its identity, but it seems reasonable to assume that it is the original Nolhagen nedrefyr. Site open, tower closed.
* Mariestad Nedre (1)
1904. Inactive. 4 m (13 ft) hexagonal lantern, painted white. A post behind the lantern carries the current rear light of the range (Admiralty C6797.721), as seen in Trabas's photo. A distant view is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an elbow of the west breakwater of Mariestad. Probably accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-273.
* Snuggen (Övre)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light occulting once every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) hexagonal pyramidal sketetal tower with lantern and gallery; there is also a 1-story equipment shelter in the base of the tower. Tower painted red, lantern and gallery white, equipment shelter red with white trim. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is nearly halfway down his page, and the tower is centered in a Google satellite view. This light is the rear light of a range with the Snappudden Nedre light as the front light. Located just off the lakeshore road on the north side of Mariestad. Site open, tower closed. SV-9528; Admiralty C6797.7.
Nolhagen Nedre
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) hexagonal pyramidal sketetal tower with lantern and gallery; there is also a 1-story equipment shelter in the base of the tower. Tower painted red, lantern and gallery white, equipment shelter red with white trim. Trabas has a photo, and Hillberg's photo is nearly halfway down his page. The rear light is in a very small tower. The tower is centered in a Google satellite view. Located beside the lakeshore road about 2 km (1.2 mi) northeast of Mariestad. Site status unknown. SV-9549; Admiralty C6797.77.
Snappudden Nedre
1904. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal tower with lantern, mounted on a stone pier. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light is off the northeastern end of a skerry about 1.5 km (0.9 mi) southwest of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C6797.699.
Nolhagens Overfyr
Nolhagens Nedrefyr (?) in Mariestad, July 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Knut Barby; used by permission
Snappudden Övre
1904. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick-flashing white light. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal pyramidal sketetal tower with lantern and gallery; there is also a 1-story equipment shelter in the base of the tower. Tower painted red, lantern and gallery white, equipment shelter red with white trim. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is nearly halfway down his page, and the tower is probably centered in a Google satellite view. Located on the lakeshore about 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of Mariestad. Site status unknown. SV-9545; Admiralty C6797.698.

Brommö Lighthouses
* Borhallsudde (Brännäs Övre)
1886. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); four flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) lantern and gallery mounted at the gable end of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lantern painted white; the house is white on the end facing the lake and red with white trim on the other sides. Mika Siitonen's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is about 1/5 the way down the page, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is a post light in the lake. Located at the northeast corner of the island of Brommö. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-013; SV-9470; Admiralty C0415.571.
* Brommösund Nedre (2)
1939 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing red light. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern, painted white. Trabas has a photo, Hillberg's photo is not quite 1/4 the way down his page, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the harbor entrance at Brommösund, near the ferry terminal. Site open, tower closed. SV-9473; Admiralty C0415.588.
Smörhättan (2)
1910 (station established 1855). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 12 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. David Thyberg has a 2011 photo, Gunnar Mathiason has a view from the lake, Hillberg's photo is about 1/4 the way down his page, Trabas has a view from the lake, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was restored in 2008. Located at the southern tip of Brommö. Accessible by road. Site status unknown. ARLHS SWE-354; SV-9476; Admiralty C0415.59.
Borhallsuddes Fyr
Borhallsudde Light, Brommö, July 2009
Panoramio photo copyright Mika Siitonen; used by permission

Fågelö Area Lighthouses
Bornäsudde
1904. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the northeast coast of Fågelö about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Sundören and 6 km (4 mi) southwest of Sjötorp. May be accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C6797.65.
Marpilen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing white light. 7 m (23 ft) round cast iron lantern mounted on a concrete pier. Lantern painted red. SFA has a photo by L. Hultman, and Google has a satellite view. This light guides vessels around the northern end of the island of Fågelö toward the Göta Canal entrance at Sjötorp. Located on a shoal about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Sjötorp. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. SV-9488; Admiralty C6797.05.
Fällholmen (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to or rising from a 1-story equipment building. Lighthouse painted white. A photo is available (about 1/3 the way down this pdf document), and Google has a satellite view. The light was formerly the front light of a range, and we do not know if the rear lighthouse survives. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Sjötorp. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty C6797.

Sjötorp Lighthouses
Harnäsudde Nedre (1)
1865. Inactive. Small lantern attached to a corner of a 1-story keeper's cottage. Building painted red with white trim. Hillberg has a closeup of the lantern about 1/3 the way down his page. Site status unknown.
Harnäsudde Nedre (2)
1903 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a good photo, Hillberg's photo is about 1/3 the way down his page, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Sjötorp. Site status unknown. SV-9511; Admiralty C6797.4.
Harnäsudde Övre
1890. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a closeup photo, Hillberg's photo is a little more than 1/3 the way down his page, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Sjötorp. Site status unknown. SV-9511.01; Admiralty C6797.401.
* Sjötorp Övre
1911 (?) (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white; there is also a large number 5 on the face of the tower. Jane Skagern's photo is at right, Trabas has a good photo, another photo is available, Hillberg's photo is almost 1/4 the way down the page, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels approaching the western entrance to the Göta Canal. The front light is at the end of the town's breakwater. Located on the north side of the Göta Canal entrance in Sjötorp. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SWE-441; SV-9517; Admiralty C6797.501.

Otterbäcken Lighthouses
* Otterbäcken Nedre (1)
1896. Inactive. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. A 2008 photo is available, Hillberg's photo is about 1/4 the way down the page, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the south side of the entrance to the small boat harbor of Otterbäcken, a town on the northeastern shore of the lake. Site open, tower closed.
Otterbäcken Nedre (2)
1917 (?) (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 3 m (10 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) 1-story wood shed; the light is shown through a square window. The front of the building is painted red and the rest of the building white. Trabas has a photo, but the light has not been found in Google's satellite view. Located in Otterbäcken, exact location unknown. Site status unknown. SV-9498; Admiralty C6797.3.
Sjötorp Övrefyr
Sjötorps Övrefyr, Sjötorp, August 2009
Flickr photo copyright Jane Skagern; permission requested
Otterbäcken Övre (2?)
1917 (?) (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing red light. 8 m (26 ft) 1-story wood shed mounted on wood piles; the light is shown through a square window. The front of the building is painted red and the rest of the building white. Trabas has a photo. Located in Otterbäcken, exact location unknown, a short distance behind the front light. Site status unknown. SV-9498.01; Admiralty C6797.301.
Fårbetsudden övre
Date unknown (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); quick-flashing white light. 4 m (13 ft) square wood shed; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with a red roof. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is housed in an even smaller shed at the edge of the lake. Located on a point of land about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of Otterbäcken. Site status unknown. Admiralty C6797.151.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Lake Vättern | Southeast: Lake Vättern | Southwest: Göteborg Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 3, 2007. Listings expanded January 2, 2009. Checked and revised October 1, 2013. Lighthouses: 52. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.