Lighthouses of Togo
Togo is a small nation on the east side of Ghana in West
Africa. During the 1880s, in the great European scramble for African colonies,
Togo became a German colony. French and British forces took the territory
in the early days of World War I, in 1914. Most of German Togo,
including all of the coast, was assigned to France after the war; the
remaining part of the colony was taken over by Britain and is now part
of Ghana. French Togo became independent as the Togolese Republic in 1960.
Togo has a short coastline, about 80 km (50 mi) in length. The capital,
Lomé, is also the major port. Aids to navigation are maintained
by the Port Autonome de Lomé.
As will be clear from the listings, what we don't know about Togolese
lighthouses is greater than what we do know. Current photos and reports
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 113.
- General Sources
- World of Lighthouses - Togo
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lomé Light, October 2015
photo copyright Steffen Neumann, courtesy of Jürgen Klinksiek; used by permission
- Date unknown. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light occulting twice
every 6 s. Light mounted atop a metal structure at the end of a long pier.
Norbert Geerardyn has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Kpémé is a
port for the shipment of phosphate from nearby mines. The pier extends about
1200 m (3/4 mile) into the sea. Located about 25 km (15 mi) east of Lomé.
Site and tower closed. Admiralty D3176; NGA 24948.
- * Baguida (2?)
- Date unknown (between 1967 and 1977). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft);
white or red light, depending on direction, occulting once every 3 s. 34 m
(112 ft) triangular skeletal tower. Steffen Neumann's photo is at right, but the light has not been found in Google's satellite view of the area. The light was formerly described as a square skeletal tower with gallery. Baguida is
a historic town, the first colonial capital of German Togo, about 13 km (8
mi) east of Lomé. Located about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Lomé
harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TOG-001; Admiralty D3173; NGA 24944.
- Lomé Jetée Est
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 13 m (43 ft); green light occulting
once every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted green.
A photo of the two mole
lights is available, and Google has a satellite
view. Located at the end of the south (main) breakwater at the Port of
Lomé. Site status unknown. Admiralty D3174.2; NGA 24936.
- Lomé Jetée Ouest
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); red light
occulting once every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete
tower, painted red. A photo of
the two mole lights is available, and Google has a satellite
view. Located at the end of the south (main) breakwater at the
Port of Lomé, about 8 km (5 mi) east of downtown. Site and tower
closed. ARLHS TOG-002;
Admiralty D3174; NGA 24932.
- * Lomé
- Date unknown (between 1967 and 1977; station established about
1903). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); two white flashes every
10 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) round mushroom-shaped concrete water tower
topped by a lantern. The tower is unpainted gray concrete; lantern
painted white with a red roof. Steffen Neumann's photo is at the top of this page,
and Google has a satellite
view. It is possible that the lantern and lens are from
the third lighthouse, the skeletal tower pictured by Lighthouse Explorer
(Huelse has the same view) and in a historic photo from Lightphotos.net.
There are many water towers carrying navigation lights, but few are
as striking as this lighthouse. Located in the harbor area on the east side of Lomé. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TOG-003;
Admiralty D3171; NGA 24928.
- * Lomé Cathédrale
- Date unknown. Inactive. During the 1930s and 1940s a rear range
light was shown from the northwest tower of the Cathédrale du Sacré-Coeur de Lomé.
Building painted white with orange-brown trim. Lightphotos.net has a photo,
another photo is available, Paul Locke has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite view. The front light was on a metal tower on the wharf. The
purpose of the range was to define the limit of the area in which
ships were permitted to anchor off the city. Located in downtown
Lomé. Site open, tower closed.
Baguida Light, Baguida, October 2015
photo copyright Steffen Neumann, courtesy of Jürgen Klinksiek
used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: East: Benin | West: Ghana
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
index | Ratings
Posted September 12, 2005. Checked and revised October 21, 2016.
Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.