Lighthouses of Southern Turkey

Most of the modern nation of Turkey occupies the broad peninsula of Anatolia (Asia Minor) between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. At its western end, Anatolia faces Greece across the Aegean Sea. This page includes Anatolian Turkey's lighthouses on the Mediterranean coast, including the provinces of Hatay, Adana, Mersin, and Antalya.

The Turkish phrase for a lighthouse is fener (plural fenerler) or deniz feneri ("sea lantern"). Burnu is a cape or headland, ada or adası is an island, and limani is a harbor. Lighthouses in Turkey are operated by the Directorate General of Coastal Safety (Kıyı Emniyeti Genel Müdürlüğü).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Turkey
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Deniz Fenerleri
Photos of 22 lighthouses by Haluk Özözlü.
Leuchtfeuer an der türkischen Mittelmeerküste
Photos of 17 Mediterranean coast lighthouses posted by Bernd Claußen.
Lighthouses in Turkey
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Turkey
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Turkey South Lighthouses R Us
This site by C.W. Bash preserves a series of small photos formerly posted on the Directorate General's web site.
Europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse (Asiatic Turkey is included on this page of European lighthouses).
İskenderun Light
İskenderun Light, İskenderun, July 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Görkem adlı Vikipedi

South Coast (Mediterranean Sea) Lighthouses

Hatay Province (İskenderun Area) Lighthouses
Note: İskenderun (formerly called Alexandretta) is the seaport of the province of Hatay. Located on the south side of the Bay of İskenderun, Hatay faces west, rather than south, on the Mediterranean. After World War I, Hatay became a province of the French mandate of Syria. The province broke off from Syria in 1938 and was annexed by Turkey the following year. It is still claimed by Syria.
Akıncı Burnu (Resulhinzir)
1933 (French). Active; focal plane 109 m (357 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from or attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; house painted white with a red tile roof. Kasīm Ağirman's photo is at right, Emre İnan has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Akıncı Burnu is the cape at the southern entrance to the Bay of İskenderun. Located on the heights above the point of the cape, about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of İskenderun. Site status unknown, apparently closed. ARLHS TUR-011; Admiralty N5917; NGA 20832.
* İskenderun
Date unknown (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with gallery, painted white with one black horizontal band. Cihatzu Barioglu has a 2009 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory at Büyükdere, about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of İskenderun. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-032; Admiralty N5916; NGA 20816.
* İskenderun Limanı (İskenderun Harbor) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1864). Inactive. Approx. 36 m (118 ft) round concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and four ribs. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. A photo is at the top of this page, Martin Stevens has posted a photo, a 2009 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was a mast on a keeper's house, but we need information on the history of the present lighthouse. Located on Fener Caddesi (Lighthouse Avenue) on the waterfront of İskenderun. Site open, tower closed.
İskenderun Fishing Harbor North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 3 s. 5 m (17 ft) square white concrete tower. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater of the traditional harbor of İskenderun. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5915.4; NGA 20825.
İskenderun Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green light, 2 s on, 1 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted green with a narrow white horizontal band. Karl Agre has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main breakwater of İskenderun. Site and tower closed. Admiralty N5915; NGA 20820.
Akıncı Burnu Light
Akıncı Burnu Light, Hatay, July 2011
Panoramio photo copyright Kasım Ağırman; permission requested

Adana Province Lighthouses
* Karataş Small Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) round white concrete tower. A photo of the harbor shows this light on the left, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater of Karataş harbor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5874.5; NGA 20764.
Karataş Main Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) round white concrete tower. İsa Beçik has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater of Karataş harbor. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5874.4; NGA 20760.
* Karataş (Karadash, Fener Burnu)
1864. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; house painted white with a red tile roof. A 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. It appears that the tower on this lighthouse was replaced, but the house may be original. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the Bay of İskenderun, at the extreme northeastern corner of the Mediterranean Sea. Located on Karataş Burnu, also called Fener Burnu (Lighthouse Point), about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of the city of Karataş. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5874; NGA 20756.

Mersin Province Lighthouses
Deli Burnu
1977. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower, painted white. LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo (second photo on the page), and Bing has a satellite view. Deli Burnu is the low cape formed by the delta of the Seyhan River, on the east side of the Gulf of Mersin. Located at the point of the cape, about 25 km (15 mi) east of Mersin (Içel). Site status unknown. Admiralty N5873.8; NGA 20752.
Mersin Limanı Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); green light occulting once every 3 s. 17 m (56 ft) triangular steel skeletal tower carrying a red triangular daymark, point up. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located between a warehouse and several large fuel tanks at the east end of Mersin's harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5873.2; NGA 20724.
Mersin Limanı Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); green light occulting once every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) triangular steel skeletal tower carrying a red triangular daymark, point up. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo. Located about 190 m (620 ft) northeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5873.3; NGA 20728.
* Mersin (Içel) (2)
1883 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-1/2 story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with a red band around the base of the lantern; house painted white with a red tile roof. Nedim Ardoğa's photo is at right, Atila Atikan has a 2007 photo, Özözlü has a panoramic view (first thumbnail in sixth row), and Bing has a satellite view. Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard view in which the keeper's house is smaller. This is one of the most accessible lighthouses of Turkey's Mediterranean coast, but recent photos are surprisingly scarce. Located in Mersin, on the west side of the mouth of the river and about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of the modern harbor entrance. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-043; Admiralty N5872; NGA 20708.
İncekum Burnu
Date unknown (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) round skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a round platform supported by concrete piles. A photo is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. İncekum Burnu is a broad, sandy point about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Taşucu. The original light was shown from a mast on a keeper's house at the tip of the point. The present light marks the end of the shoal offshore, about 1.5 km (1 mi) south of the point. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5871.5; NGA 20696.
Mersin Light
Mersin Light, Mersin, January 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Nedim Ardoğa
Yarim Adası (Bölükada, Ovacık Yarimadası)
1993. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal or fiberglass tower with gallery. Entire lighthouse is white. LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo (third photo on the page), and Google has a satellite view. Yarim Adası (Bölük Ada) is not actually an island, although it appears to be one from a distance; it is connected to the mainland by a narrow isthmus. Located at the southern point of Yarim Adası, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Yeşilovacık. Site status unknown. Site manager: Dilek Peninsula - Büyük Menderes Delta National Park. Admiralty N5867; NGA 20670.
Ovacık East Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower with a narrow green horizontal band. Yunus Aluç has a distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. NGA has the colors of these breakwater lights reversed. Located at the end of the east (main) breakwater of Ovacık harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5866.51; NGA 20669.1.
Ovacık West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. A distant view is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the west breakwater of Ovacık harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5866.5; NGA 20669.
Anamur (Anamur Burnu)
1912. Active; focal plane 68 m (223 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. A photo, a second photo, and a third photo are available, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Peter Mosselberger, and Google has a satellite view. Cape Anamur is the southernmost point of the Anatolian mainland, and the lighthouse here marks the west entrance to the Cyprus Strait separating Cyprus from Turkey. The cape is a rocky headland projecting abruptly into the Mediterranean. Located at the point of the cape, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the city of Anamur. Site status unknown. ARLHS TUR-062; Admiralty N5862; NGA 20664.

Antalya Province Lighthouses
* Alanya North Breakwater
2011. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with an open lantern. Entire lighthouse is white. A September 2011 photo of the new lighthouse is available, Trabas has a photo by Erich Hartmann, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater of Alanya harbor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5860.4.
** Alanya South Breakwater (2)
2009(?) (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); green flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is painted a light gray with a darker gray dome. Wikimedia has the fine photo at right, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This new lighthouse was built as a tourist attraction. Located at the end of the south breakwater of Alanya harbor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open; the tower is also open, but no information is available on the schedule. Admiralty N5860.45.
Alanya
1880. Active; focal plane 209 m (686 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 20 s. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. An article on the history of the lighthouse has closeup photos, Claußen has closeup photos, LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo (fourth photo on the page), and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Alanya is a modern resort city with very popular beaches, but looming above the beaches is a mountainous peninsula projecting into the Mediterranean. Atop the peninsula is the old fortified city of Alaiye, now called Alanya Castle, built by the Seljuk Turks in the 13th century as their capital. The lighthouse is near the south end of the peninsula, attached to the outer wall of the citadel. Site status unknown, but it should be possible to see this lighthouse from Kale (Castle) Road. ARLHS TUR-012; Admiralty N5860; NGA 20656.
* Side (Selimiye)
1974. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal or fiberglass tower with gallery. Entire lighthouse is white. A 2008 photo is available, and Andreas Koehler has a 2003 photo, but the tower is hard to find in Google's satellite view. Located at a small boat harbor on a sandy cape projecting into the Gulf of Antalya at Side, a town about 40 km (25 mi) east of Antalya. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-045; Admiralty N5859; NGA 20652.
Alanya South Breakwater Light
Alanya South Breakwater Light, Alanya, 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by kallerna
* Baba Burnu (Antalya) (2?)
1945 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 35 m (155 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round tower with double gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Izzet Kirbas has a closeup photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google satellite view is available. This lighthouse guides vessels into the harbor of Antalya, the principal port of southwestern Turkey. Located on a promontory on the southeast side of the city, about 6 km (3.5 mi) southeast of the port area. Located just off Lara Caddesi, the coastal road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-065; Admiralty N5858; NGA 20648.
* Antalya North Mole
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 3 s. 5 m (17 ft) hexagonal skeletal tower, painted white, rising from an enclosure surrounded by a circular stone wall, also painted white. Trabas has Helmut Seger's photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the north mole of the old fishing harbor of Antalya. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5857; NGA 20640.
Antalya New Harbor Lee Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 3 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white. A photo is available, Andreas Koehler has a more distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater of Antalya's industrial harbor, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the old harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS TUR-064; Admiralty N5855.4; NGA 20636.
Antalya New Harbor Main Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped metal tower, painted white. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south (main) breakwater of Antalya's industrial harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS TUR-063; Admiralty N5855; NGA 20632.
[Çavus (Adrasar)]
1939. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white light, 1 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 10 s off. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. Nearby is a 1-story masonry keeper's house, painted white with a red tile roof. LighthousesRUs.org has a small Directorate General photo (sixth photo on the page), and a Google satellite view is available. Located on a promontory at the south entrance to the small bay of Adrasar, about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Çavus and 12 km (7.5 mi) northeast of Cape Gelidonya. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5854; NGA 20624.
* Kemer Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 14 m (46 ft); red light, characteristic unknown. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower mounted on the roof of a 1-story pierhead building. Tower painted red with two narrow white horizontal bands. Antonio Racter has a 2011 photo, Mária Albányai has a 2010 photo, and Google has a satellite view. In the past, the tower has been painted white, as in Wikimedia's 2007 distant view, and red with wider white bands as in a 2008 photo by Andrey Mos. Kemer is a resort town about 40 km (25 mi) south of Antalya. Located on the main pier at Kemer. Site open, tower closed.
Taşlık (Selidonya) Burnu (Cape Gelidonya)
1936. Active; focal plane 277 m (745 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, house painted white with a red tile roof. Onur Kocatas's photo is at right, Wikimedia has a fine panoramic view of the cape and lighthouse by Knut Thieme, Yuri Ralchenko has a fine closeup, Scott Newman has a fine 2008 photo, and Google has a satellite view. One of the most prominent capes of Turkey's Mediterranean coast, Cape Gelidonya has been the site of countless shipwrecks ever since the dawn of sea travel. The cape is a steep ridge that continues offshore as a line of rocky shoals and islands. The lighthouse is located on the point of the cape, a remote location accessible to backpackers by a hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TUR-049; Admiralty N5850; NGA 20616.
* Finike West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower painted green with a narrow white horizontal band. This light is on the left in Monika Wiedemann's photo of the harbor, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the west breakwater at Finike, a resort town northwest of Cape Gelidonya. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5849.6; NGA 20612.
* Finike East Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); red flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower painted red with a narrow white horizontal band. This light is on the right in Monika Wiedemann's photo of the harbor, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the east (main) breakwater at Finike. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5849.4; NGA 20608.
Taşlık Burnu Light
Taşlık Burnu Light, Cape Gelidonya, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Onur Kocatas
Finike
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 7 s. 6 m (20 ft) round metal tower with a flared top, mounted on a round stone base. Tower painted white with two black horizontal bands. Faruk Polat has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory about 2 km (1.25 mi) south of Finike harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5849; NGA 20604.
* Kalkan Limanı
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted green with a narrow white horizontal band. A 2011 photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The tower was previously painted all white, as seen in a 2008 photo. Kalkan is a former fishing village, now a popular resort town, about 25 km (15 mi) west of Kaş. Located on the east side of the harbor entrance. Admiralty N5844.8; NGA 20565.
* Patara
Around 60 CE. Ruins of a Roman lighthouse built during the reign of Nero (54-68 CE). The surviving portion of the tower stands about 5 m (17 ft) high. Arif Karataylı has a closeup photo, a 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. It was unearthed about 2005 by archaeologists studying the Roman port of Patara, an ancient Greek city annexed to the Empire in 43 CE. (St. Nicholas was born in Patera about 270 CE.) The ancient harbor eventually filled in completely and became a swamp; the lighthouse was apparently excavated from this sediment. The site is near the village of Gelemiş, about 10 km (6 mi) west of Kalkan in westernmost Antalya province. Site open.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: Northwest: Southwestern Turkey | East: Syria | South: Northern Cyprus

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted May 5, 2007. Checked and revised June 19, 2014. Lighthouses: 32. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.