Lighthouses of Ukraine: Mykolaiv Area

Following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the northwestern coast of the Black Sea became part of the independent republic of Ukraine. Except for a brief period of independence during the Russian Revolution (1917-20), Ukraine had been part of Russian or Soviet empires since 1654. However, the coastline of the Black Sea was mostly under the control of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire until it was taken by Russia during a series of wars in the second half of the 1700s.

The Black Sea's northern coast is in several sections. In the west is the Bight of Odessa, named for Ukraine's largest port (whose name is spelled Odesa in Ukrainian). In the center is the diamond shaped peninsula of Crimea. To the east is the Sea of Azov, connected to the rest of the Black Sea by the very narrow Kerch Strait at the eastern end of Crimea.

In March 2014, Russia annexed Crimea, leaving the Ukrainian coast in two sections: the Bight of Odessa in the west and the northwestern side of the Sea of Azov in the east. The annexation of Crimea has not been accepted by Ukraine or recognized internationally. Important note: The Lighthouse Directory takes no position on any international dispute; our task is to describe lighthouses, not comment on politics. Our descriptions are of the actual situation, whatever it may be.

This page includes the lighthouses of Mykolaiv oblast and the western shore of Kherson oblast; this region is northwest of Crimea and faces the eastern part of the Bight of Odessa.

Lighthouses in Ukraine are maintained by Gosgidrografiya, the hydrography and navigation service of the Ministry of Transport and Communications. Most of Ukraine's lighthouses were destroyed or heavily damaged during World War II (known in Ukraine and Russia as the Great Patriotic War), but most of them were restored to their original design and appearance after the war.

The Ukrainian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк), identical to the Russian word. As in Russia, the provinces of the country are called oblasts.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. UA numbers are the Ukrainian light list numbers as reported by Ukrainian Lighthouses on the Air. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113. The Ukrainian light list, Вогні і знаки Чорного та Азовського морів (Lights and Signs of the Black and Azov Seas), is not available online.

General Sources
Gosgidrografiya - Lighthouses
Photos and historical information on the Gosgidrografiya web site. There is also a page of unlabeled photos of Ukrainian lighthouses.
Ukrainian Lighthouses on the Air (ULA)
This web site by Ukrainian amateur radio operators has valuable information about the lights and many photos. The ULA lighthouse list is available here.
Online List of Lights - Ukraine
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. The photos from this area are by Capt. Peter Mosselberger or by Douglas Cameron.
ARLHS - Lighthouses in Ukraine
The ARLHS Ukraine listing; photos contributed by Ukrainian amateur radio operators are available for many of the lighthouses.
Wikimedia - Lighthouses in Ukraine
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Ukraine
Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
Mir Mayakov - Photos
Assorted photos of Ukrainian lighthouses. This is the first of three pages; click in the fourth group of links on the right for the others.
Lighthouse Authorities - 202 Years
A history of Black Sea lighthouses by Vladimir Abrashkevich. Text in Russian.
Lighthouses of Ukraine
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.

Kislyakovskiy Range Rear Light
Kislyakovskiy Range Rear Light, Lymany
Gosgidrografiya photo

Kherson Oblast Lighthouses (see also Sea of Azov)

Tendrovskaya Spit Lighthouses
Note: The Tendrovskaya Spit is a hook-shaped barrier beach sheltering Tendrovskiy Bay. The spit is a hazard to ships approaching any of the ports of the Odessa Bight or Dnipro-Buh estuary.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (1)
1902. Inactive. 23 m (75 ft) square pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and central cylinder. The abandoned tower is rusting and gravely endangered. A photo is available, Wikimedia has a 2012 photo, another photo shows both lighthouses, ULA has a page for the station, and Google has a satellite view. Dzharylhach is at the eastern tip of a 150 km (90 mi) long barrier beach; Tendrovskiy is at the western tip of the same sandy structure. Accessible only by boat. Site open; visitors climb the tower, but this is probably dangerous.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane about 24 m (79 ft); red flash every 5 s. 23 m (75 ft) slender round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Guy wires are used to steady the tower. This lighthouse stands close to the abandoned 1902 tower. A closeup is available, a photo shows both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Ostrov Dzharylhach. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. UA-1210; Admiralty N5255; NGA 18210.
* Zaliznyi (Zheleznyy) Port
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square tower rising from a 2-story coast guard building. A photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Despite its name, Zaliznyi Port is a beach resort and not a port. Located on the beach front at the east edge of town. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5250; NGA 18205.
Tendrivska Range (Rear?)
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. A photo is available, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The Russian caption to the photo calls this a "leading beacon," but we know nothing about the range. Located on the Tendrovskiy Spit about 5 km (3 mi) south of the Tendrivska lighthouse (next entry). Site open, tower closed.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) West (2)
1904 (station established 1827). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light, 9 s on, 3 s off. 31 m (102 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with two black horizontal bands. A photo is at right, ULA has fine photos, Konstantin Drizhak has a photo, Kristin Kanik has a 2012 photo, and Evgeny Gutyar also has a good photo, but Google's satellite view shows no detail in this area. The original lighthouse was lost to rapid beach erosion in the area, and the current lighthouse is endangered similarly. Located at the westernmost bend of the Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-032; UA-1165; Admiralty N5246; NGA 18188.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) North
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black; the upper half of the tower is covered on two sides by a black slatted daymark. Amateur radio operator UT2FF has a photo, ARLHS has a photo, ULA has photos, and another photo is available, but Google's satellite view has no detail in this area. This light marks the end of the long Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-043; UA-1160; Admiralty N5244; NGA 18180.
Tendrovskiy West Light
Tendrivska West Light, Tendrovskaya Spit
Gosgidrografiya photo

Upper Dnipro Estuary Lighthouses
Note: The Dnipro-Buh Estuary extends about 55 km (34 mi) west to east. The Dnipro (Dnieper) River flows into the east end of the estuary; the Buh (Bug) joins the north side of the estuary in the middle. The lighthouses of this group are off the south coast of Dniprovska Bay, in the eastern half of the estuary. They guide vessels toward the Dnipro, which is navigable for moderately large ships as far as Kiev, the national capital.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front (Stanislav)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schuchov). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous red light. 26 m (85 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. 1-story keeper's house adjoining the lighthouse. A photo is at right, ULA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides ships entering the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet about 7 km (4.5 mi) west northwest of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-052; UA-1000; Admiralty N5149; NGA 18088.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Rear (Adzhiogol)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schukov). Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); continuous white light, visible only on the range line. 64 m (210 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. The 1-story keeper's house is built within the base. Oleksandr Serdyuk has a good photo and a second photo taken inside the skeletal structure, Serezha Konkretniy has a distant view, ULA has photos, ARLHS also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This remarkable lighthouse is built in the shape of a hyperbolic paraboloid; from a distance it has a light and graceful appearance that belies its great size. The range guides ships entering the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet off the mouth of the Dnipro, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-102; UA-1001; Admiralty N5149.1; NGA 18092.
Malyy Kasperdvskiy Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous green light. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted black with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of Rvach, one of the mouths of the Dnipro, southwest of Kizomys. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-106; Admiralty N5156.1; NGA 18176.
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) 2-story concrete tower rising from the front of a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. The light was formerly shown from a square second-floor window, but it is now shown from a mast mounted in front of the window. Building painted gray; the seaward face of the light tower is painted purple as a daymark. ULA has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Dnipro River. Located on the north side of the entrance about 3 km (2 mi) west of Kizomys. Accessible by road. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-105; UA-1075; Admiralty N5152; NGA 18164.
Stanislav Range Front Light
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front Light, June 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by _AL_
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); continuous white light. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. The entire seaward side of the tower is covered with a red slatted daymark. The tower is rather inconspicuous in Google's satellite view. Located on the north side of Kizomys, about 1.6 km (1 mi) east northeast of the front light. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-106; UA-1076; Admiralty N5152.1; NGA 18168.

Mykolaiv (Nikolaev) Oblast Lighthouses

Buh Estuary East Side Lighthouses
Note: These range lighthouses guide vessels bound to and from Mykolaiv (Nikolayev), a port and shipbuilding center on the Buh (Bug) Estuary. Information on these lights is sketchy, and there may be additional lighthouses on the estuary. Most of these lights are not in the NGA List, and I'm indebted to Michel Forand for researching them.
Limanoozharskiy Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 15 m (49 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted atop a square concrete base. Lighthouse painted white with red vertical stripes. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in the entrance to the Buh estuary about 1.6 km (1 mi) south of the front light (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5185.1.
Khablivskiy (Limanoozharskiy) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white light. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower. Lighthouse painted white with an red vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, another good photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse serves as the front light of the upstream Khablovskiy Range and the downstream Limanoozharskiy Range. Located in the entrance to the Buh estuary about 2 km (1.2 mi) east of Dneprovske. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-046; UA-0744; Admiralty N5181.9; NGA 18095.
Khablivskiy Range Middle (Mys Khablovskiy)
1902 (rebuilt 1952). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with gallery; the light is shown through a rectangular window. Lighthouse painted white with an red vertical stripe on the range line. Bing has a satellite view. This was originally the front light of the range; the offshore light was added later. The lighthouse was rebuilt after being heavily damaged in World War II. Located on Mys Khablovskiy, the east side of the entrance to the Buh estuary, about 6 km (3.5 mi) south of Lupareve. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-047; UA-0745; Admiralty N5182; NGA 18096.
* Khablivskiy Range Rear
1902 (rebuilt 1952). Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); continuous white light. 24 m (79 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, mounted on a 1-story masonry base; the light is shown through a rectangular window. Lighthouse painted beige with a black vertical stripe on the range line. A photo is at right, a second photo is available, ULA's page has two photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was rebuilt after being heavily damaged in World War II. Located 3.8 km (2.4 mi) northeast of the middle light, and just east of the road between Lymany and Oleksandrivka. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-048; UA-0746; Admiralty N5182.1; NGA 18100.
* Lupareve (Luparevskiy, Kislyakovskiy Range Front)
1906 (rebuilt 1955). Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; the front face is painted red with a white vertical stripe on the range line. The light is now shown from a locomotive-style lamp mounted on the gallery. ULA has photos, a good 2007 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the second range for vessels bound upstream (north) in the estuary. The lighthouse suffered only light damage in World War II but was rebuilt anyway in 1955. Located on the east coast of the Buh on the south side of Lupareve. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-112; UA-0765; Admiralty N5184.
Khablivskiy Range Middle Light
Khablovskiy Range Rear Light, Lupareve, April 2007
Panoramio photo copyright afedotov; permission requested
* Kislyakovskiy Range Rear (4)
1906 (rebuilt 1955, station established 1862). Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous red (?) light. 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; the front face is painted red with a white vertical stripe on the range line. The light is now shown from a locomotive-style lamp mounted on the gallery. Although listed as red, the light is white in ULA's closeup photo. A photo is at the top of this page, and Bing has a satellite view. A wood beacon built in 1862 was replaced by a stone beacon in 1872. The 1906 tower was destroyed in World War II and the present lighthouse is a copy. Located about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of Lymany and 5 km (3 mi) northeast of the front (Lupareve) light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-114; UA-0766; Admiralty N5184.1.
Luparev Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 2.2 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the third upstream (northbound) range. The lighthouse is probably similar to the Khablivskiy Range Front light. Located in the center of the estuary about 2 km (1.25 mi) west northwest of Lymany. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5188.
* Russkaya Kosa (Luparev Range Rear) (4)
1985 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 32 m (105 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. A photo is at right, a 2008 closeup photo is available, ULA has a photo showing the range stripe, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a good satellite view. This is by far the best known lighthouse of the estuary. The original light was on piles at the point of the spit. It was replaced with a 17.5 m (58 ft) tower that was destroyed in World War II and rebuilt in 1955. The present lighthouse is a good example of late Soviet design. It has an elevator and includes staff living quarters. Located on a promontory on the east side of the Buh about 3 km (1.75 mi) northwest of Lymany. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-113; UA-0780; Admiralty N5188.1.
* Siversov Upstream Range Front (4?)
1950s (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous red light. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal concrete or masonry tower with lantern room and gallery; the light is shown through a small window of the lantern room. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. A.V. Kopich has a 2008 photo, ULA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Changes in the channel and erosion of the bank required several changes in this light. Located on a promontory on the east side of the Buh at the southern edge of the city of Mykolaiv. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-130; UA-0838; Admiralty N5202.
* Siversov Upstream Range Rear (4?)
1950s (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted red above the gallery and white below. Gosgidrografiya has a photo (second photo on the page), and Google has a satellite view. Located in a field at the southern edge of the city of Mykolaiv, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of the front light. Site and tower closed, but there should be a good view from a nearby road. Admiralty N5202.1.
Russkaya Kosa Light
Russkaya Kosa Light, Lymany
Gosgidrografiya photo

Buh Estuary West Side Lighthouses
* Stara Bohdanivka (Stara Bogdanovka, Port Oktyabrsk) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; green light occulting once every 3 s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black; lantern white; the tower also carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. A 2008 photo is available, ULA has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located beside a reservoir about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-128; UA-0854; Admiralty N5199.1.
* Stara Bohdanivka (Stara Bogdanovka, Port Oktyabrsk) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; green flash every 1.5 s. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black; lantern white; the tower also carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, ULA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west bank of the Buh in the village of Stara Bohdanivka. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-127; UA-0853; Admiralty N5199.
* Kozyrsky Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery. The height of the light has been increased by placing a pyramidal skeletal tower on the gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, ULA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the north end of the village of Kozyrka. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-126; UA-0826; Admiralty N5197.1.
* Kozyrsky Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery. The height of the light has been increased by placing a pyramidal skeletal tower on the gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. This is an upstream range. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (also seen at right), ULA has two photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west bank of the Buh in the village of Kozyrka. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-125; UA-0825; Admiralty N5197.
Kozyrsky Range Front Light
Kozyrsky Range Front Light, Kozyrka, May 2009
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger; used by permission
Siversov Downstream Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 3 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, ULA has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. NGA misspells the name as Silversov. Located on the west bank of the Buh about 500 m (0.3 mi) northeast of the rear light. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-129; UA-0839; Admiralty N5195; NGA 18177.
Siversov Downstream Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 3 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery; the height of the light has been increased by placing a pyramidal skeletal tower on the gallery. The tower carries a slatted daymark. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, ULA has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. NGA misspells the name as Silversov. Located in a farm field on the west bank of the Buh about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of Kozyrka. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-118; UA-0839.1; Admiralty N5195.1; 18177.1.
* Katalinye (Katalino) Range Rear (2)
1957 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane unknown; continuous green light. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery; the height of the light has been increased by placing a pyramidal skeletal tower on the gallery. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. ULA has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located in a village on the west bank of the Buh about 500 m (0.3 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-123; UA-0791; Admiralty N5190.1.
Katalinye (Katalino) Range Front (2)
1957 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); green flash every 2 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, ULA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west bank of the Buh about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Parutyne. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-124; UA-0790; Admiralty E5190.
Dnipro-Buhskiy Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; green light occulting once every 3 s. Approx. 10 m (30 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted black. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. ULA has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (also seen at right), and Google has a satellite view. This is a "reverse" (downstream) range guiding vessels southbound in the estuary. Located near the shore on the west side of the Buh about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of the rear light. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-121; UA-0810; Admiralty N5189.
* Dnipro-Buhskiy Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. The upper half of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. ULA has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Google has a satellite view. This is a "reverse" (downstream) range guiding vessels southbound in the estuary. Located on the west side of the Buh opposite Lymany and about 3 km (1.8 mi) north of Parutyne. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can be seen from a nearby road. ARLHS UKR-122; UA-0811; Admiralty N5189.1.
Dnipro-Buhskiy Range Front Light
Dnipro-Buhskiy Range Front Light, Parutyne, May 2009
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger; used by permission

Lower Dniprovska Bay Lighthouses
Note: Dniprovska Bay, the Dnipro (Dnieper) River estuary, extends eastward from Ochakiv for about 60 km (38 mi) to the delta of the river. The bay is about 15-20 km (9-13 mi) wide over most of its length. The Buh River estuary enters the Dnipro estuary from the north at about the halfway point of the bay.
Vostochniy (Eastern) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 32 m (105 ft) square skeletal tower, mounted on a concrete pier. The tower carries a rectangular daymark, painted black with a white vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in the bay about 3.5 km (2.2 mi) due east of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-104; UA-0691; Admiralty N5137.1; NGA 18064.
Vostochniy (Eastern) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white light. 16 m (52 ft) skeletal tower, mounted on a concrete pier. The tower carries a rectangular daymark, painted black with a white vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in the bay about 6 m (3.5 mi) southwest of Dniprovske. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-103; UA-0690; Admiralty N5137; NGA 18060.
* Adzhyholskyy (Adzhigolskiy) Range Rear (2)
1960s (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 24 m (79 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted red. The upper 3/4 of the tower is covered by a red slatted daymark. A 1-story white building adjoining the tower may be an administration and equipment building. Radio operator UT2FF has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a hill about 2 km (1.2 mi) east of Dmytrivka. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can at least be seen from nearby. ARLHS UKR-042; UA-0672; Admiralty N5130.2; NGA 18076.
Adzhyholskyy (Adzhigolskiy) Range Middle (2)
1960s (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 34 m (111 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2s off, visible only on the range line. 34 m (111 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with a 2-story concrete equipment building at the base, all mounted on a square concrete platform. The upper 3/4 of the tower is covered by a red slatted daymark. Trabas has Cameron's photo, ULA has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in the bay 5.2 km (3.2 mi) east northeast of the front light, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) offshore, and 3 km (1.8 mi) southwest of Dmytrivka. Accessible only by boat, but there should be good views from shore. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-055; UA-0671; Admiralty N5130.1; NGA 18072.
Adzhyholskyy (Adzhigolskiy) Range Front
1960s. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); quick-flashing red light. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, mounted on a square concrete platform with a second gallery. Tower painted red. Trabas has Cameron's photo, ULA has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in the bay about 7 km (4 mi) east of Ochakiv. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-054; UA-0670; Admiralty N5130; NGA 18068.
Dnipro-Limanskiy (Fort Mykolaiv, Pervomayskiy) Range Front (3)
1926 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous red light. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Radio operator UT2FF has a closeup, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (a version is at right), Denis Ochkin has a closeup, ARLHS has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. A small beacon built in 1876 was replaced by front and rear skeletal towers in 1884. Fort Mykolaiv is located on an island a short distance inside the entrance to the bay. Located at the northern end of the island 3 km (1.8 mi) southwest of Ochakiv. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-038; Admiralty N5128; NGA 18044.
Dnipro-Limanskiy (Fort Mykolaiv, Pervomayskiy) Range Rear (3)
1955 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction. 26 m (85 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. The front of the tower is covered by a slatted daymark, painted black with a white vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, ARLHS has a photo showing both lighthouses, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view (look for the shadow). Located on the northeast point of the island, 73 m (240 ft) east of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-039; Admiralty N5128.1; NGA 18048.

Dnipro-Limanskiy Range Front Light, Ochakiv
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger
used by permission

Ochakiv Lighthouses
Note: The city of Ochakiv (Ochakov) is built on a promontory at the entrance to the estuary leading to the Dnipro and Buh Rivers. It is the site of a famous Ottoman fortress that was conquered by Russia during the Russo-Turkish War of 1787-1792.
Sapadno (Fifth Reach West)
1956. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 28 m (92 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with gallery, all mounted on a square concrete platform. The upper 3/4 of the tower is covered by an orange slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. A 1-story equipment shelter is built within the base of the tower. A good closeup is available, Andrei Tsarev has a photo, Dmitri Borodin has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Formerly the rear light of a range. Located in the bay about 1.5 km (1 mi) south of Ochakiv. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-029; Admiralty N5136.1; NGA 18056.
* Berezan-Ochakiv Range Front (2)
1932 (station established 1826). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); red light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 19 m (62 ft) round masonry tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. In addition to the light, a short skeletal tower with meteorological instruments is mounted atop the tower. A photo is at right, radio amateur UT2FF has a closeup, ULA has a photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The range guides ships approaching the port of Ochakiv, at the entrance to the Dniprovska Bay, the Dnipro River estuary. The present range towers replaced much smaller stone lighthouses. Located near the waterfront in Ochakiv. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-044; UA-0615; Admiralty N5118; NGA 18016.
* Berezan-Ochakiv Range Rear (2)
1932 (station established 1826). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); red light occulting once every 6 s. 20 m (66 ft) round masonry tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Radio operator UT2FF has a closeup, ULA has a photo, and the tower is seen in the center of an indistinct Google satellite view. Located 820 m (1/2 mi) east northeast of the front light in the center of Ochakiv. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-036; UA-0616; Admiralty N5118.1; NGA 18020.

Berezan Island and Berezanskiy Bay Area Lighthouses
* Viktorivskiy (Viktorovka) Range Front (5?)
1969 (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous red light. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with a larger upper section and gallery. Upper section painted orange, lower section white. ARLHS has a photo, ULA's page has an additional photo, a closeup photo and another photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. This range guides ships approaching the entrance to Berezanskiy Bay. A series of lights were built during the 19th century to track changes in the channel. This lighthouse stands on the narrow spit that nearly encloses the east side of the entrance to the bay about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Cernomorka. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-040; UA-0650; Admiralty E5126; NGA 18024.
Viktorivskiy (Viktorovka) Range Rear (5?)
1951 (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); continuous white light. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. The upper portion of the tower is covered by an orange slatted daymark. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This range guides ships approaching the entrance to Berezanskiy Bay. Located on a hillside on the west side of Viktorovka; this is on the west side of the entrance to the bay. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-037; UA-0651; Admiralty N5126.1; NGA 18028.
Ochakiv Front Light
Berezan-Ochakiv Range Front Light, Ochakiv, June 2008
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by widjoy
Berezan (Ostrov Berezan) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1862). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); green flash every 3.5 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black, lantern red. ULA has several photos, Alexander Maximenko also has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. NGA describes a "masonry pillar," so it appears that the present tower stands beside the stone foundation of the older one. Berezan is an uninhabited island, about 1 km (0.6 mi) in length, off the entrance to the Berezanskiy Bay estuary. A tall monument at the southern tip of the island is an additional daymark. Located near the center of the island, about 4 km (2.5 mi) east southeast of Rybakivka. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-035; UA-0510; Admiralty N5116; NGA 18008.
Karabush (Mys Karabush) (2)
1972 (station established 1955). Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); white light, 3 s on, 2 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with a larger upper section and gallery. Upper section painted black, lower section white. Gosgidrografiya has a photo (last photo on the page), and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is a sibling of the 1969 Viktorivskiy Range Front Light (see above). The lighthouse is located in the middle of a field about 800 m (1/2 mi) from the coast at Mys Karabush, a headland about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Kobleve. The area is accessible by road. Site status unknown, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-011; UA-0480; Admiralty N5110; NGA 18000.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: South: Crimea | West: Odessa Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 19, 2007. Checked and revised September 16, 2014. Lighthouses: 45. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.