Lighthouses of Ukraine: Dnipro Basin

Ukraine is a large country on the north side of the Black Sea, bordering Russia. Except for a brief period of independence during the Russian Revolution (1917-20), Ukraine was part of Russian or Soviet empires from the mid seventeenth century until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. However, the coastline of the Black Sea was mostly under the control of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire until it was taken by Russia during a series of wars in the second half of the 1700s.

The Black Sea's northern coast is in several sections. In the west is the Bight of Odessa, named for Ukraine's largest port. In the center is the diamond shaped peninsula of Crimea. To the east is the Sea of Azov, connected to the rest of the Black Sea by the very narrow Kerch Strait at the eastern end of Crimea.

In March 2014 Russia annexed Crimea, leaving the Ukrainian coast in two sections: the Bight of Odessa in the west and the northwestern side of the Sea of Azov in the east. The annexation of Crimea has not been accepted by Ukraine or recognized internationally. Important note: The Lighthouse Directory takes no position on any international dispute; our task is to describe lighthouses, not comment on politics. Our descriptions are of the actual situation, whatever it may be.

This page describes Ukraine's lighthouses on the area to the north of Crimea, including the Dnipro (Dnieper) River and its estuary, which joins the Bight of Odessa just to the northwest of Crimea.

Lighthouses in Ukraine are maintained by Derzhhidrohrafiyu, the hydrography and navigation service of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

The Ukrainian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк), identical to the Russian word. As in Russia, the provinces of the country are called oblasts.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. UA numbers are the Ukrainian light list numbers as reported by Ukrainian Lighthouses on the Air. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113. The Ukrainian light list, Вогні і знаки Чорного та Азовського морів (Lights and Signs of the Black and Azov Seas), is not available online.

General Sources
Derzhhidrohrafiyu - Lighthouses
Photos and historical information on the Ukrainian State Hydrography web site.
Lighthouses in Ukraine
The ARLHS Ukraine listing; photos contributed by Ukrainian amateur radio operators are available for many of the lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Ukraine
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Ukraine
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Russische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse. Ukrainian lighthouses are near the bottom of the page.
Lighthouses of Ukraine
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.

Tendrovskiy West Light
Tendrivska West Light, Tendrovskaya Spit
Derzhhidrohrafiyu photo (no longer online)

Kherson Oblast: Black Sea and Dnipro Estuary Lighthouses

Skadovsk Area Lighthouses
* Skadovsk Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 30 m (98 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower. The front of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Vladimir Yarema has a photo of the front light, a much smaller skeletal tower. Skadovsk is a beach resort town and a small port on the mainland side of Dzharylhach Bay, sheltered by Dzharylhach Island. Located in the middle of Tarasa Shevchenko Street about 300 m (330 yd) north of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5260.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (1)
1902. Inactive. 23 m (75 ft) square pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and central cylinder. The abandoned tower is rusting and gravely endangered. A photo is available, Wikimedia has a 2012 photo, another photo shows both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Dzharylhach is at the eastern tip of a 150 km (90 mi) long barrier beach; Tendrovskiy is at the western tip of the same sandy structure. Accessible only by boat. Site open; visitors climb the tower, but this is probably dangerous.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane about 24 m (79 ft); red flash every 5 s. 23 m (75 ft) slender round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Guy wires are used to steady the tower. This lighthouse stands close to the abandoned 1902 tower. A closeup is available, a photo shows both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Ostrov Dzharylhach. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. UA-1210; Admiralty N5255; NGA 18210.
* Sofievskiy
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 24 m (79 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The front of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted black. A view from the sea is available, Aleksey Miroshnikov has a street view from the beach, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located just off the beach in Lazurne, a resort on the mainland west of Ostrov Dzharylhach. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5252.
* Zaliznyi (Zheleznyy) Port
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square tower rising from a 2-story coast guard building. Aleksey Ulitskiy has a photo, a more distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Despite its name, Zaliznyi Port is a beach resort and not a port. Located on the beach front at the east edge of town. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5250; NGA 18205.

1902 Dzharylhach Light, July 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Askad.skynet

Tendrovskaya Spit Lighthouses
Note: The Tendrovskaya Spit is a hook-shaped barrier beach sheltering Tendrovskiy Bay. The spit is a hazard to ships approaching any of the ports of the Odessa Bight or Dnipro-Buh estuary.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) South
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. A photo is available, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The Russian caption to the photo calls this a "leading beacon," but there's no range in this area. Located on the Tendrovskiy Spit about 5 km (3 mi) south of the Tendrivska lighthouse (next entry). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5247.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) West (2)
1904 (station established 1827). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light, 9 s on, 3 s off. 31 m (102 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with two black horizontal bands. A photo is at the top of this page, Konstantin Drizhak has a photo, Vasyl Heluta has a 2011 photo, ARLHS has a photo by UR5FA, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was lost to rapid beach erosion in the area, and the current lighthouse is endangered similarly. Located at the westernmost bend of the Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-032; UA-1165; Admiralty N5246; NGA 18188.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) North
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black; the upper half of the tower is covered on two sides by a black slatted daymark. A photo is available, Konstantin Drizhak has a distant view, but Google's satellite view has no detail in this area. This light marks the end of the long Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-043; UA-1160; Admiralty N5244; NGA 18180.

Dnipro (Dnieper) Estuary Lighthouses
Note: The Dnipro-Buh Estuary extends about 55 km (34 mi) west to east. The Dnipro (Dnieper) River flows into the east end of the estuary; the Buh (Bug) joins the north side of the estuary in the middle. The lighthouses of this group are off the south coast of Dniprovska Bay, in the eastern half of the estuary. They guide vessels toward the Dnipro, which is navigable to and beyond Kiev, the national capital.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front (Stanislav)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schuchov). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous red light. 26 m (85 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. 1-story keeper's house adjoining the lighthouse. A photo is at right, ARLHS has a photo by UR7GW, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides ships approaching the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet about 7 km (4.5 mi) west northwest of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-052; UA-1000; Admiralty N5149; NGA 18088.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Rear (Adzhiogol)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schukov). Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); continuous white light, visible only on the range line. 64 m (210 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. The 1-story keeper's house is built within the base. H. Lebnikov has a 2010 photo, Oleksandr Serdyuk has a closeup photo, Serezha Konkretniy has a distant view, ARLHS has a photo by UR7GW, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This remarkable lighthouse is built in the shape of a hyperbolic paraboloid; from a distance it has a light and graceful appearance that belies its great size. The range guides ships entering the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet off the mouth of the Dnipro, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-102; UA-1001; Admiralty N5149.1; NGA 18092.
Malyy Kasperdvskiy Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous green light. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted black with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of Rvach, one of the mouths of the Dnipro, southwest of Kizomys. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-106; Admiralty N5156.1; NGA 18176.
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) 2-story concrete tower rising from the front of a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. The light was formerly shown from a square second-floor window, but it is now shown from a mast mounted in front of the window. Building painted gray; the seaward face of the light tower is painted purple as a daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Dnipro River. Located on the north side of the entrance about 3 km (2 mi) west of Kizomys. Accessible by road. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-105; UA-1075; Admiralty N5152; NGA 18164.
Stanislav Range Front Light
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front Light, June 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by _AL_
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); continuous white light. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. The entire seaward side of the tower is covered with a red slatted daymark. ARLHS has a photo by UR7GW, but the tower is rather inconspicuous in Google's satellite view. Located on the north side of Kizomys, about 1.6 km (1 mi) east northeast of the front light. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-106; UA-1076; Admiralty N5152.1; NGA 18168.

Dnipro (Dnieper) River Lighthouses

Note: The Dnieper River (known in Ukrainian as the Dnipro) rises in easternmost Russia and flows across Belarus and Ukraine to the Black Sea. It is Europe's fourth longest river. In Ukraine it is a major source of hydroelectric power and also an artery of transportation. When Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union (1917-1991) a series of six major dams was built on the river. Each dam has a navigation lock, making the river navigable over the full width of the country. Each lock has an associated lighthouse.
Kherson Oblast Lighthouse
Kakhovka
Around 1955. Probably inactive. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. A photo (first photo on the page) and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Completed in 1956, the Kakhovka Dam creates the Kakhovka Reservoir, which extends upstream for about 240 km (150 mi). The lighthouse is located at the end of a breakwater extending from the south shore of the reservoir to protect the entrance to the navigation lock. The breakwater appears to be part of a park, so the lighthouse may be accessible by walking the pier. Site probably open, tower closed.

Zaporizhia Oblast Lighthouse
Zaporizhia
Around 1932. Probably inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) round concrete tower topped by a mast. A photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a photo, another photo and several additional photos are available, and Google has a satellite view. Built between 1927 and 1932, the Zaporizhia Dam and Dnipro Hydroelecric Station were one of the first major hydroelectric projects of the Soviet Union. The dam was dynamited by retreating Soviet troops in 1941 and again by retreating German troops in 1943; after extensive reconstruction it was placed back in operation in 1950. The lighthouse is located at the end of the west breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site and tower closed.

Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Lighthouse
Dniprodzerzhynsk
Around 1964. Inactive. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) square concrete pillar rising from a 1-story concrete equipment shelter. R. Tzyganok has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The dam is at Dniprodzerzhynsk, about 40 km (25 mi) west of the provincial capital of Dnipropetrovsk. The Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir behind the dam is 114 km (71 mi) long. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site open, tower closed.

Zaporizhia Dam and Light, Zaporizhia, July 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by mirhul

Kirovohrad Oblast Lighthouse
Kremenchuk
Around 1960. Inactive. Approx. 18 m (60 ft) triangular skeletal tower, lower portion enclosed. A closeup photo is available, Taras Kushnirenko has a photo showing a cruise ship passing the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Built between 1954 and 1961, the Kremenchuk Dam creates the largest reservoir on the river, 149 km (93 mi) long and as much as 28 km (17.5 mi) wide. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site open, tower closed.

Cherkasy Oblast Lighthouse
Kaniv
Around 1975. Inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical glass-enclosed skeletal tower mounted on a robust square concrete base. From a distance the tower appears black with narrow white horizontal bands. Ehydna Luu has a closeup photo, Dima Korol also has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Completed in 1975, the Kaniv Dam was the last of the great hydroelectric projects on the river. The Kaniv Reservoir extends 162 km (100 mi) upstream to the capital city of Kiev. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site status unknown.

Kyiv (Kiev) Oblast Lighthouse
Vyshhorod (Kyiv, Kiev)
Around 1964. Inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with a glass-enclosed upper section, mounted on a robust square concrete base. The entire lighthouse is white. A photo is at right, Dmitry Kukushkin has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Kiev Dam is located about 25 km (15 mi) north of the capital city. The Kiev Reservoir extends 110 km (68 mi) upstream and is about 12 km (7.5 mi) wide. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site status unknown.

Vyshhorod (Kiev) Light, Vyshhorod, November 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Wisetus

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Southeastern Ukraine | South: Western Crimea | West: Mykolaiv Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 19, 2007. Checked and revised July 28, 2017. Lighthouses: 19. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.