Lighthouses of Ukraine: Sea of Azov and Dnipro Waterway

Following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the northwestern coast of the Black Sea became part of the independent republic of Ukraine. Except for a brief period of independence during the Russian Revolution (1917-20), Ukraine had been part of Russian or Soviet empires since 1654. However, the coastline of the Black Sea was mostly under the control of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire until it was taken by Russia during a series of wars in the second half of the 1700s.

The Black Sea's northern coast is in several sections. In the west is the Bight of Odessa, named for Ukraine's largest port. In the center is the diamond shaped peninsula of Crimea. To the east is the Sea of Azov, connected to the rest of the Black Sea by the very narrow Kerch Strait at the eastern end of Crimea.

In March 2014 Russia annexed Crimea, leaving the Ukrainian coast in two sections: the Bight of Odessa in the west and the northwestern side of the Sea of Azov in the east. The annexation of Crimea has not been accepted by Ukraine or recognized internationally. Important note: The Lighthouse Directory takes no position on any international dispute; our task is to describe lighthouses, not comment on politics. Our descriptions are of the actual situation, whatever it may be.

This page describes Ukraine's lighthouses on the Sea of Azov, just to the northeast of Crimea, and those of the Dnipro (Dnieper) River and its estuary, which joins the Bight of Odessa just to the northwest of Crimea.

Lighthouses in Ukraine are maintained by Derzhhidrohrafiyu, the hydrography and navigation service of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

The Ukrainian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк), identical to the Russian word. As in Russia, the provinces of the country are called oblasts.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. UA numbers are the Ukrainian light list numbers as reported by Ukrainian Lighthouses on the Air. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113. The Ukrainian light list, Вогні і знаки Чорного та Азовського морів (Lights and Signs of the Black and Azov Seas), is not available online.

General Sources
Derzhhidrohrafiyu - Lighthouses
Photos and historical information on the Ukrainian State Hydrography web site.
Lighthouses in Ukraine
The ARLHS Ukraine listing; photos contributed by Ukrainian amateur radio operators are available for many of the lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Ukraine
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Ukraine
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Russische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse. Ukrainian lighthouses are near the bottom of the page.
Lighthouses of Ukraine
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.

Berdyansk Verkhniy Light
Berdyans'k Verkhniy Light, Berdyans'k, October 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Valentin Osadchenko
used by permission

Sea of Azov Lighthouses

Note: The Sea of Azov occupies a shallow elliptical basin about 225 km from east to west and 140 km from north to south (140 by 90 miles). The northwestern third of the sea lies in Ukraine and the southeastern two thirds lies in Russia. The Ukrainian coast features four long sand spits projecting to the south.
Donetsk Oblast (Mariupol' Area) Lighthouses
Note: Following the Russian annexation of Crimea in March 2014 a rebellion by pro-Russian forces broke out in eastern Donetsk province. For several months the city of Mariupol' was occupied by rebel forces, but by mid-summer the area was retaken by the Ukrainian military. Fighting continued intermittantly a short distance east of the city.
Azovstal Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a white slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Port Azovstal, located about 5 km (3 mi) east of Mariupol's traditional waterfront, serves the giant Azovstal steel works, the largest steel plant in Ukraine and one of the largest in the former Soviet Union. Located on the east side of the mouth of the Kalmius River. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-085; UA-4720; Admiralty N5510; NGA 18756.
Azovstal Range Middle
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 37 m (121 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a white slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located beside the main railroad line in the middle of the steel plant. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-086; UA-4721; Admiralty N5510.1; NGA 18760.
Azovstal Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); continuous green light visible only on the range line. 34 m (112 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a white slatted daymark with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located beside the highway entrance on the east side of the steel plant. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-087; UA-4722; Admiralty N5510.2; NGA 18764.
Mariupol' East Entrance Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off, visible only on the range line. 19 m (62 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. The tower is on the left in a view of the harbor administration building, but it is not clear in Google's satellite view. Located at the foot of a pier about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of the West Entrance Range Front Light. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-089; UA-4665; Admiralty N5484; NGA 18724.
Mariupol' East Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); continuous red light. 13 m (43 ft) square tower on a white "dwelling," according to NGA. No photo available. The light may be centered in this Google satellite view. The location of this light is about 200 m southwest of the West Entrance Range Middle lighthouse. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-090; UA-4666; Admiralty N5484.1; NGA 18728.
Port Mariupol' (Old Gate) North Mole
Date unknown (station established 1891). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story equipment house. Entire lighthouse painted green. A 2006 photo and a second photo are available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of one of the original lights, but we don't know which mole it was on. Mariupol' is a major port just inside the entrance to Taganrogsky Bay, an estuary at the northeast corner of the Sea of Azov that forms the mouth of the Don River. Port Mariupol' is an industrial harbor on the south side of the city. The narrow entrance between the two moles is called the Old Gate. Located at the northern end of the detached South Breakwater. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty N5490; NGA 18720.
Port Mariupol' (Old Gate) South Mole
Date unknown (station established 1891). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story equipment house. Entire lighthouse painted red. A photo is at right, a closeup photo and another photo are available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the northern end of the detached South Breakwater. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty N5492; NGA 18716.
Old Gate North Mole Light
Old Gate South Mole Light, Port Mariupol', April 2009
Panoramio photo copyright -=MNA=-; permission requested
Mariupol' West Entrance Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two continuous green lights, one above the other, visible only on the range line; for general navigation there is also a white light, 1 s on, 1 s off, at a focal plane of 19 m (62 ft). Approx. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. The tower also carries a large slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Vadim Tolbatov has a photo showing the lower half of the tower, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a building materials quay, not far from the Old Gate mole lights. Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-024; UA-4530; Admiralty N5478; NGA 18732.
* Mariupol' West Entrance Range Middle
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); a continuous red light is shown on the range line, but for general navigation a red light with one brighter flash and one occultation every 4.5 s is shown. 23.5 m (77 ft) square cylindrical brick tower with double gallery, rising from the front of a 2-story brick building. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located a short distance north of the Port Mariupol' waterfront. Site open, tower closed. UA-4531; Admiralty N5478.1; NGA 18736.
Mariupol' West Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 86 m (282 ft); two continuous red lights, one above the other, visible only on the range line. 21 m (69 ft) triangular pyramidal skeletal tower, painted black. ARLHS has a photo by radio amateur US6IQ. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) north of the middle light. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-091; UA-4532; Admiralty E5478.2; NGA 18740.
* Belosaray (Belosarayskiy Kosa)
1836. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light,1.5 s on, 1.5 s off, 1.5 s on, 4.5 s off. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. Andrew Butko's photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a 2013 photo, Arkady Dremov also has a photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse, the oldest on the Sea of Azov, was built at the end of the easternmost of the four major sand spits on the north side of the sea. Since 1836, however, the spit has lengthened westward about 2.5 km (1.5 mi). Like all of the Azov Sea lighthouses, it was heavily damaged during World War II and had to be repaired extensively in 1955. Located about 28 km (17.5 mi) southwest of Mariupol'. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-002; UA-4300; Admiralty E5472; NGA 18680.
Belosaray Light
Belosaray Light, Mariupol', September 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Andrew Butko

Zaporizhia Oblast (Berdyans'k Area) Lighthouses
Note: Berdyans'k is a substantial port on the central north coast of the Sea of Azov, due north of the Kerch Strait.
Berdyans'k Nizhniy (Lower Berdyans'k) (2)
1956 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 4.5 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. It appears that the light is now displayed from the gallery rail. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Olya Usova's photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a 2012 photo, Ivan Antipoff has a 2008 photo, another 2008 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view of the station. The original light, described as a five-story building, was probably somewhat shorter. Heavily damaged in World War II, it was first patched up and then replaced in 1956. The lantern appears older; it may have come from the earlier lighthouse. Located at the end of a long, hook-shaped spit about 10 km (6 mi) south of Berdyans'k. Accessible only by boat and perhaps by 4WD. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-003; UA-4280; Admiralty N5454; NGA 18640.
* Berdyans'k Verkhniy (Upper Berdyans'k) (1)
1883. Inactive. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower rising from the front of a 1-story brick keeper's house. Tower painted white; the house is unpainted red brick. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was repaired after being heavily damaged in World War II. We don't know the present use of the building. Located about 100 m (110 yd) northeast of the active lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
* Berdyans'k Verkhniy (Upper Berdyans'k) (2)
1977 (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 72 m (236 ft); three red flashes every 9.4 s. 33 m (108 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Valentin Osadchenko's photo is at the top of this page, Wikimedia has several good photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on a bluff about 400 m (1/4 mi) north of the beach and about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest of the port area of Berdyans'k. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-004; UA-4187; Admiralty N5458; NGA 18648.
* Novokonstantinovskiy (Camp Myaak)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white flash every 6 s. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, mounted at one end of a 3-story dormitory building. Tower painted red. John Samples has a photo, but the tower is not seen clearly in Google's satellite view. At the time of Samples's photo (July 2003), this former Soviet facility was in use as a Christian summer camp operated by an American charity. Its current status is not known. Located on the coast at Novokonstantinovka, about 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Melitopol. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-094; UA-4170; Admiralty N5448; NGA 18628.
Berdyansk Nizhniy Light
Berdyans'k Nizhniy Light, Berdyans'k, July 2009
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Olya Usovaツ

Kherson Oblast: Henichesʹk Area Lighthouses
Biryuchiy (Ostrov Biryuchiy)
1882. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two long (1.5 s) white flashes every 7.5 s. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal masonry tower, painted white. Alexander Nikishin has a closeup photo, a 2008 photo is available, two additional photos are available (halfway down the page), there's a distant view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse is in the Azov-Syvash National Park. Heavily damaged during World War II, it was not returned to service until 1957. It was the last lighthouse on the Sea of Azov to be connected to external power, in 1993. Located at the tip of a long sand spit (westernmost of the four on the north coast of the Sea of Azov) about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Henicesk. May be accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-005; UA-4135; Admiralty N5436; NGA 18608.
* Genicheskiy (Henichesʹk)
1883. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash ever 5 s; there is also a continuous red light with a lower focal plane. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower rising at the front of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe. A 2007 photo is available, Wikimapia has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Forand has the same postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was completed in 1879, but it was not lit until 1883. It was damaged during World War II, but placed back in service by 1944. The building was restored and renovated in 1961. According to a Ukrainian Wikipedia article on Henichesʹk, the lighthouse was "illegally occupied" by Russian troops during the 1990s. Located on the beach at Henichesʹk, a town at the extreme western end of the Sea of Azov. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-019; UA-4140; Admiralty N5438.

Kherson Oblast: Black Sea and Dnipro Estuary Lighthouses

Tendrovskaya Spit Lighthouses
Note: The Tendrovskaya Spit is a hook-shaped barrier beach sheltering Tendrovskiy Bay. The spit is a hazard to ships approaching any of the ports of the Odessa Bight or Dnipro-Buh estuary.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (1)
1902. Inactive. 23 m (75 ft) square pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and central cylinder. The abandoned tower is rusting and gravely endangered. A photo is available, Wikimedia has a 2012 photo, another photo shows both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Dzharylhach is at the eastern tip of a 150 km (90 mi) long barrier beach; Tendrovskiy is at the western tip of the same sandy structure. Accessible only by boat. Site open; visitors climb the tower, but this is probably dangerous.
Dzharylhach (Ostrov Dzharylhach) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane about 24 m (79 ft); red flash every 5 s. 23 m (75 ft) slender round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Guy wires are used to steady the tower. This lighthouse stands close to the abandoned 1902 tower. A closeup is available, a photo shows both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Ostrov Dzharylhach. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. UA-1210; Admiralty N5255; NGA 18210.
* Zaliznyi (Zheleznyy) Port
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square tower rising from a 2-story coast guard building. A photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Despite its name, Zaliznyi Port is a beach resort and not a port. Located on the beach front at the east edge of town. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5250; NGA 18205.
Tendrivska Range (Rear?)
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. A photo is available, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The Russian caption to the photo calls this a "leading beacon," but we know nothing about the range. Located on the Tendrovskiy Spit about 5 km (3 mi) south of the Tendrivska lighthouse (next entry). Site open, tower closed.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) West (2)
1904 (station established 1827). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light, 9 s on, 3 s off. 31 m (102 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with two black horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Konstantin Drizhak has a photo, Kristin Kanik has a 2012 photo, Evgeny Gutyar also has a good photo, and ARLHS has a photo by UR5FA, but Google's satellite view shows no detail in this area. The original lighthouse was lost to rapid beach erosion in the area, and the current lighthouse is endangered similarly. Located at the westernmost bend of the Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-032; UA-1165; Admiralty N5246; NGA 18188.
Tendrivska (Tendrovskiy) North
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 3 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black; the upper half of the tower is covered on two sides by a black slatted daymark. Amateur radio operator UW2ZW has a photo, and another photo is available, but Google's satellite view has no detail in this area. This light marks the end of the long Tendrovskiy Spit. Accessible only by boat or a long 4WD drive. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-043; UA-1160; Admiralty N5244; NGA 18180.
Tendrovskiy West Light
Tendrivska West Light, Tendrovskaya Spit
Derzhhidrohrafiyu photo (no longer online)

Dnipro (Dnieper) Estuary Lighthouses
Note: The Dnipro-Buh Estuary extends about 55 km (34 mi) west to east. The Dnipro (Dnieper) River flows into the east end of the estuary; the Buh (Bug) joins the north side of the estuary in the middle. The lighthouses of this group are off the south coast of Dniprovska Bay, in the eastern half of the estuary. They guide vessels toward the Dnipro, which is navigable to and beyond Kiev, the national capital.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front (Stanislav)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schuchov). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); continuous red light. 26 m (85 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. 1-story keeper's house adjoining the lighthouse. A photo is at right, ARLHS has a photo by UR7GW, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides ships approaching the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet about 7 km (4.5 mi) west northwest of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-052; UA-1000; Admiralty N5149; NGA 18088.
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Rear (Adzhiogol)
1915 (Vladimir G. Schukov). Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); continuous white light, visible only on the range line. 64 m (210 ft) round skeletal tower with lantern, double gallery, enclosed watch room, and central cylinder. Entire lighthouse painted red. The 1-story keeper's house is built within the base. Oleksandr Serdyuk has a good photo and a second photo taken inside the skeletal structure, Serezha Konkretniy has a distant view, ARLHS also has a photo by UR7GW, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This remarkable lighthouse is built in the shape of a hyperbolic paraboloid; from a distance it has a light and graceful appearance that belies its great size. The range guides ships entering the Dnipro River. Located on a concrete pier on a tiny islet off the mouth of the Dnipro, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Rybalce. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-102; UA-1001; Admiralty N5149.1; NGA 18092.
Malyy Kasperdvskiy Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous green light. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted black with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of Rvach, one of the mouths of the Dnipro, southwest of Kizomys. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-106; Admiralty N5156.1; NGA 18176.
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) 2-story concrete tower rising from the front of a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. The light was formerly shown from a square second-floor window, but it is now shown from a mast mounted in front of the window. Building painted gray; the seaward face of the light tower is painted purple as a daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Dnipro River. Located on the north side of the entrance about 3 km (2 mi) west of Kizomys. Accessible by road. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-105; UA-1075; Admiralty N5152; NGA 18164.
Stanislav Range Front Light
Stanislaus-Adzhyholskyy Range Front Light, June 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by _AL_
* Kasperovskiy (Kizomys) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); continuous white light. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. The entire seaward side of the tower is covered with a red slatted daymark. ARLHS has a photo by UR7GW, but the tower is rather inconspicuous in Google's satellite view. Located on the north side of Kizomys, about 1.6 km (1 mi) east northeast of the front light. Site status unknown, probably open. ARLHS UKR-106; UA-1076; Admiralty N5152.1; NGA 18168.

Dnipro (Dnieper) River Lighthouses

Note: The Dnieper River (known in Ukrainian as the Dnipro) rises in easternmost Russia and flows across Belarus and Ukraine to the Black Sea. It is Europe's fourth longest river. In Ukraine it is a major source of hydroelectric power and also an artery of transportation. When Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union (1917-1991) a series of six major dams was built on the river. Each dam has a navigation lock, making the river navigable over the full width of the country. Each lock has an associated lighthouse.
Kherson Oblast Lighthouse
Kakhovka
Around 1955. Probably inactive. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. A photo (first photo on the page) and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Completed in 1956, the Kakhovka Dam creates the Kakhovka Reservoir, which extends upstream for about 240 km (150 mi). The lighthouse is located at the end of a breakwater extending from the south shore of the reservoir to protect the entrance to the navigation lock. The breakwater appears to be part of a park, so the lighthouse may be accessible by walking the pier. Site probably open, tower closed.

Zaporizhia Oblast Lighthouse
Zaporizhia
Around 1932. Probably inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) round concrete tower topped by a mast. A photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a photo, another photo and several additional photos are available, and Google has a satellite view. Built between 1927 and 1932, the Zaporizhia Dam and Dnipro Hydroelecric Station were one of the first major hydroelectric projects of the Soviet Union. The dam was dynamited by retreating Soviet troops in 1941 and again by retreating German troops in 1943; after extensive reconstruction it was placed back in operation in 1950. The lighthouse is located at the end of the west breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site and tower closed.

Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Lighthouse
Dniprodzerzhynsk
Around 1964. Inactive. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) square concrete pillar rising from a 1-story concrete equipment shelter. R. Tzyganok has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The dam is at Dniprodzerzhynsk, about 40 km (25 mi) west of the provincial capital of Dnipropetrovsk. The Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir behind the dam is 114 km (71 mi) long. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site open, tower closed.

Zaporizhia Dam and Light, Zaporizhia, July 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by mirhul


Kirovohrad Oblast Lighthouse
Kremenchuk
Around 1960. Inactive. Approx. 18 m (60 ft) triangular skeletal tower, lower portion enclosed. A closeup photo is available, Taras Kushnirenko has a photo showing a cruise ship passing the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Built between 1954 and 1961, the Kremenchuk Dam creates the largest reservoir on the river, 149 km (93 mi) long and as much as 28 km (17.5 mi) wide. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site open, tower closed.

Cherkasy Oblast Lighthouse
Kaniv
Around 1975. Inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical glass-enclosed skeletal tower mounted on a robust square concrete base. From a distance the tower appears black with narrow white horizontal bands. A closeup photo is available, Dima Korol also has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Completed in 1975, the Kaniv Dam was the last of the great hydroelectric projects on the river. The Kaniv Reservoir extends 162 km (100 mi) upstream to the capital city of Kiev. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site status unknown.

Kyiv (Kiev) Oblast Lighthouse
Vyshhorod (Kyiv, Kiev)
Around 1964. Inactive. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with a glass-enclosed upper section, mounted on a robust square concrete base. The entire lighthouse is white. A photo is at right, Vitaliy Stelnykovych has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Kiev Dam is located about 25 km (15 mi) north of the capital city. The Kiev Reservoir extends 110 km (68 mi) upstream and is about 12 km (7.5 mi) wide. The lighthouse is located at the end of a curved breakwater protecting the entrance to the navigation lock. Site status unknown.

Vyshhorod (Kiev) Light, Vyshhorod, November 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Wisetus

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Russia: Eastern Black Sea and Sea of Azov | South: Crimea | West: Mykolaiv Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 19, 2007. Checked and revised July 10, 2016. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.