Lighthouses of St. Vincent and the Grenadines

St. Vincent and the Grenadines is an independent nation in the Windward Islands of the West Indies, located to the south of St. Lucia and to the north of Grenada. Although it was originally colonized by the French, the country was a British colony from 1783 until it achieved independence in 1979. Tourism in the country has been encouraged recently by the filming of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on St. Vincent.

Aids to navigation in St. Vincent and the Grenadines are the responsibility of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Port Authority (SVGPA).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Lighthouses in the Caribbean
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Online List of Lights - St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Photos by various photographers posted by Alex Trabas. Currently the St. Vincent photos are by Rainer Arndt and Capt. Theo Hinrichs.
World of Lighthouses - St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchtt├╝rme auf den Kleinen Antillen
Photos posted by Bernd Clau├čen.


Fort Charlotte Light, Kingstown, October 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Eric Hutton

Lighthouse
** Fort Charlotte
1892(?) (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 195 m (640 ft); three long (1.5 s) white flashes, separated by 3 s, every 20 s. Light mounted on a short mast atop a 1-story hexagonal wood watch room, the whole structure resting atop a point of the historic fort. Watch room painted blue. Eric Hutton's 2007 photo appears above, Trabas has Arndt's very distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos of the fort, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The lighthouse has been repainted since 2004; formerly it was painted white with blue trim. This is a staffed signal station. The site offers an outstanding view southwestward toward the Grenadines. Fort Charlotte was built in 1806 during the Napoleonic wars. Located atop Berkshire Hill on the west side of Kingstown, St. Vincent's capital. The fort is open to guided tours; it appears from the photos that the watch room is often open to visitors. Site manager: St. Vincent and the Grenadines Port Authority. ARLHS STV-001; Admiralty J5817; NGA 15064.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: St. Lucia | East: Barbados | South: Grenada

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 8, 2005. Checked and revised December 11, 2014. Lighthouses: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.