Lighthouses of Southern Vietnam

Long independent, Vietnam was colonized by France from the mid 1800s until 1941, when the country was invaded and conquered by Japan. After the end of World War II in 1945, French attempts to re-establish control triggered 30 years of warfare, leading to the reunification of the country in 1975. Fortunately, the lighthouses were not usually seen as targets during the Vietnam War, and most of them survived the fighting without major damage. A few of the historic French lighthouses have been replaced, but most remain in service and are regarded as historic monuments. In general, Vietnamese lighthouses have resident keepers.

Vietnam is long and narrow, with a coastline measuring some 3000 km (1875 mi) in length. The northern third of the coast faces the Gulf of Tonkin, and the rest faces east and southeast on the open waters of the South China Sea. Aids to navigation are maintained by two Maritime Safety Companies, Vietnam Northern Maritime Safety (VNMS) maintaining lights in the northern half of the country and Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety (SVMS) maintaining the lights of the southern half. This page includes lighthouses of the MSC II region, which extends from Bình Định province to the Cambodian border.

Note: Vietnam also operates a number of lighthouses in the Spratly Islands, and these lighthouses are also maintained by SVMS.

The Vietnamese words for a lighthouse are Hải đăng or đèn biển. Dao or hòn is an island, mũi is a cape, cửa is a river. The Vietnamese language is written in Latin characters with various diacritical and tone markings; Unicode (UTF-8) encoding will be needed to display these markings correctly.

For many years, many of Vietnam's lighthouses were not included on international light lists; most are now listed by the Admiralty.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

Phu Quy Light
Phú Quý Light, Bình Thuận Province
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety photo
General Sources
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety - Lighthouses
An interactive map of lighthouse locations, linking to pages on the individual light stations.
Lighthouses in Vietnam
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Vietnam
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme in Vietnam
Photos by Andreas Köhler.
Leuchttürme Asiens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Bình Định Province Lighthouses
Hòn Nước
1997. Active; focal plane 62.5 m (205 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (56 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with gallery. The tower appears to be unpainted cement blocks with white and yellow trim. 1-story equipment or keeper's house, painted yellow. Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located on a promontory at Xuân Thành about 60 km (37 mi) north northeast of Qui Nhơn. Site status unknown; may be accessible by a short walk from Xuân Thành.
Phước Mai (Qui Nhơn)
1904. Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower with gallery. The tower is unpainted, but darker concrete in the middle gives the appearance of a white tower with one black horizontal band. A 2007 photo of the top of the tower is available, and Bing has a satellite view. SVMS lists 1975 as the date of this lighthouse, but the modern light appears to be a refurbishment of the 1904 French tower. Located at the end of the Phước Mai peninsula, which shelters the harbor of Qui Nhơn (Quy Nhon). Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-047; Admiralty F3162; NGA 20332.
Cù Lao Xanh (Phuoc Chau, Poulo Gambir)
1904. Active; focal plane 119 m (390 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 15 s. 17 m (56 ft) round stone tower with lantern and double gallery, painted white with one black horizontal band. The lighthouse was renovated in 1984. A 2007 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. One Vietnamese source gives 1890 as the establishment date for this station, but all other sources have 1904. Located at the highest point of an island about 10 km (6 mi) off the coast and 20 km (13 mi) southeast of Qui Nhơn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS VIE-012; Admiralty F3158; NGA 20364.
Cù Lao Xanh Light
Cù Lao Xanh (Poulo Gambir) Light, Bình Định
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety photo

Phú Yên Province Lighthouses
Gành Đèn
2002. Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. This light has not been found in Bing's satellite view. Located on a rocky promontory about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Chí Thành. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3156.
* Đà Rằng (Tuy Hòa)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20.5 m (67 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical tower with gallery, attached to or rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; keeper's house painted yellow with white trim. A 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to Tuy Hòa, the capital of Phú Yên province. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F3155.8
*** Mũi Đại Lãnh (Mũi Điện, Cap Varella) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1904). Active; focal plane 110 m (361 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 26.5 m (87 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. Hà Phạm Duy's photo is at right, Ngọc Viên has a 2009 photo, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Several Vietnamese sources give 1890 as the establishment date for the station, but all other sources have 1904. This is not the original tower, which had a focal plane height of only 14 m (46 ft). The present lighthouse was renovated in 1997 and appears to be in excellent condition. The light station buildings appear to include a vistor center and/or museum. Mũi Điện (Cap Varella) is the easternmost point of the Vietnamese coast. Located on the point of the cape, about 40 km (25 mi) south southeast of Tuy Hòa. Accessible by road. Site open, tower status unknown but probably open; there is a photo taken from the gallery. ARLHS VIE-011; Admiralty F3154; NGA 20368.

Khánh Hòa Province Lighthouses
Hòn Nưa
2002. Active; focal plane 87.5 m (287 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted red. Bing has a distant satellite view. A sibling of the Gành Đèn light. Located atop an island about 13 km (8 mi) southwest of Mũi Điện. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3151.
Hòn Đỏ (Hòn Hèo, Hòn Theo)
1997. Active; focal plane 81 m (266 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 11.5 m (38 ft) concrete tower. Bing has an indistinct satellite view of the station. Located on Hòn Khói, an island in the entrance to the bay of Văn Phong, about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Nha Trang. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3152.
Cap Varella Light
Mũi Đại Lãnh (Cap Varella) Light, Phú Yên, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Hà Phạm Duy
* Mũi Chụt
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); continuous white light. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal masonry tower with gallery attached to a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted a light cream color. A 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory at the south end of Nha Trang, marking the passage between the mainland and the island of Hòn Lớn (Hòn Tre). Site status unknown, probably open; tower closed. ARLHS VIE-033; Admiralty F3150; NGA 20376.
Hòn Lớn (Mũi Rach Trang, Hòn Tre)
1890. Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands and standing in front of a keeper's house. A 2013 photo and closeup are available, a Khánh Hòa newspaper has an article with a small photo, a view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The island of Hòn Lớn is being developed as a beach resort, but it's not clear if visitors will have access to the lighthouse. Located at Mũi (cape) Rach Trang, the eastern point of the island of Hòn Lớn, about 16 km (10 mi) southeast of Nha Trang. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-029; Admiralty F3148; NGA 20372.
Ba Ngòi (Vịnh Cam Ranh, Cam Ranh Bay)
2003. Active; focal plane 89.5 m (294 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 7 s. 9 m (30 ft) square tower mounted on a round masonry tower attached to the front of a keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted beige. Bing has a satellite view. The magnificent elliptical harbor of Cam Ranh Bay is entered through a narrow strait between two high, forested peninsulas. This lighthouse is located atop the headland on the north side of the entrance. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3136.
Hòn Chút (Bình Hưng) (2)
1988 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 59 m (194 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, rising from a 1- or 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted gray, keeper's house white. A 2010 photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the northeastern tip of Hòn Chút, an island on the south side of the entrance to Cam Ranh Bay. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-023; Admiralty F3134; NGA 20384.
Hon Chut Light
Hòn Chút Light, Khành Hóa, May 2010
Panoramio photo copyright tamngu; permission requested

Bình Thuận Province Lighthouses
Mũi Dinh (Cà Ná, Cap Padaran) (2)
1904 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 186 m (610 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 16 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse was formerly painted white, but it appears that the paint on the tower has worn away and will not be replaced; the lantern and gallery are still painted white. Nguyễn Lê has a 2012 photo, a 2011 photo is available, Ngày Xưa has posted a historic 1931 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the point of Mũi Dinh, a prominent cape near the southern end of the Central Highlands, about 40 km (25 mi) south of Phan Rang. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-034; Admiralty F3122; NGA 20404.
* Phan Rí
2004. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); four white flashes every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) 4-story building with the light mounted on the roof. Lighthouse painted a dark orange-yellow with green trim. Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the entrance to the harbor of Bắc Bình. Located on the east side of the mouth of the Phan Rí river. Site status unknown, probably open; tower closed. Admiralty F3121.
* Phan Thiết (2)
2000. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery. The concrete is colored with red and white horizontal bands. 2-story keeper's house painted light green with darker green trim. Ngàn Năm Thăng Long has a 2008 photo, Andreas Koehler has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. It's not certain whether this lighthouse replaces or supplements the original light, a short metal tower that had a 20 m (66 ft) focal plane. Located on a sand spit that encloses the east side of the harbor of Phan Thiết . The site appears open; tower closed. Admiralty F3118; NGA 20408.
** Kê Gà (Mui Ke Ga)
1900. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 20 s. 41 m (135 ft) octagonal granite tower with lantern and gallery. Vietnam's second tallest lighthouse. Stephan Knopf's photo is at right, there's a good 2007 photo, Ngọc Viên has a 2009 photo, Andreas Koehler has a closeup, a distant view of the site is available, and Google has a satellite view. This historic tower was renovated in 1975. Located on an island off the point of Mũi Kê Gà, a prominent cape about 40 km (25 mi) south southwest of Phan Thiết. Boat transportation to the island is available. Site open; the keepers offer tours of the tower. ARLHS VIE-030; Admiralty F3116; NGA 20412.
Phú Quý
1997. Active; focal plane 124 m (407 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. 2-story concrete keeper's house. The tower is unpainted gray concrete; the lantern is painted yellow with white trim; lantern roof is gray metallic. A copy of SVMS's photo is at the top of this page, another photo and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Phú Quý is a volcanic island in the South China Sea 120 km (75 mi) southeast of Phan Thiết. The island has a population of 20,000 and is the base of a fishing fleet. The Bình Thuận province government is also developing the island as a resort, and the lighthouse is mentioned as one of the attractions. Transportation to the island from Phan Thiết is available. Located on the slope of Mount Câm, near the northwestern corner of the island. Site presumably open; tower status unknown. ARLHS VIE-046; Admiralty F3120; NGA 20406.
Triều Dương
2001. Active; focal plane 11.5 m (38 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 12 s. 10 m (33 ft) concrete tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef off the southern tip of Phú Quý island, just outside the east breakwater of the harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F3120.5.

Kê Gà Light
Kê Gà Light, Bình Thuận, May 2013
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Stephan Knopf

Hòn Hải
2004. Active; focal plane 122 m (400 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 10 s. 10.5 m (34 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. The island is only a blur in Google's satellite view. Located atop a small but very steep island about 65 km (40 mi) south of Phú Quý. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3120.7.

Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu Province Lighthouses
Ba Kiềm
2006. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); three green flashes every 10 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) square tower with lantern and gallery centered on a 2-story building. Lighthouse painted yellow with white trim and blue shutters. No closeup photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view of the station. Located on heights above a cape about 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Vũng Tàu. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3115.
**** Vũng Tàu (Cap St.-Jacques) (3)
1913 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 193 m (633 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 18 m (59 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, surrounded by four massive concrete buttresses. A rotating Fresnel lens is in use. Entire lighthouse painted white. Howard Garner's 2008 photo is at right, Wikimedia has a closeup 2012 photo, Chung Lam Ngoc also has a closeup, the tourism agency of Hồ Chí Minh City has a page on the lighthouse, the stamp appears on a postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. This important lighthouse is the landfall light for Hồ Chí Minh City (Saigon). Huelse has historic postcard views of the 1885 lighthouse, a short octagonal masonry tower with a first order lantern and gallery, and of the 1913 lighthouse in its original form. The lighthouse still had that appearance during the Vietnam War. The lighthouse was repainted all white in the spring of 2007, as we see by comparing a February photo to a July photo. The setting of the lighthouse is quite spectacular, with a sweeping view of the South China Sea. Located on Hải Dăng (Lighthouse) Mountain on the point of Mũi Vũng Tàu, about 8 km (5 mi) south of the town of Vũng Tàu. Site open, tower open daily. ARLHS VIE-041; Admiralty F3066; NGA 20416.
* Cao Trang (2)
2007 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three green flashes every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with blue trim. Ngàn Năm Thăng Long has a 2008 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The 1898 tower was square. Located on the shore on the west side of the Vũng Tàu peninsula, about 6 km (4 mi) north of the Vũng Tàu lighthouse. The coastal road passes close by the lighthouse, although there is no parking turnout. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS VIE-035; Admiralty F3070; NGA 20428.
* Ghành Rái (Ganh Rai)
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two green flashes every 4 s. 14 m (46 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with gallery but no lantern. Lighthouse painted with dark green and white horizontal bands (described as black and white by NGA). A good photo is available, Ngàn Năm Thăng Long has a 2008 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse guides ships into the harbor of Vũng Tàu city. The coastal road passes close by the lighthouse, although there is no parking turnout. Located at the northwestern point of the Vũng Tàu peninsula. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS VIE-049; Admiralty F3076; NGA 20432.
Cần Giờ (Aval)
1864. Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); three white flashes every 8 s. 22.5 m (74 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery centered on the roof of an octagonal keeper's house, mounted on pilings. Lighthouse painted white; the roof of the keeper's house is red. A 2007 photo and a 2008 closeup are available, and Bing has a satellite view. This is an extremely rare example of a 19th century pile lighthouse in Asia. SVMS has restored this historic lighthouse and converted it to solar power. Located in the entrance to the Sông Sài Gòn (Saigon River) channel to Hồ Chí Minh City (Saigon), about 10 km (6 mi) west of Vũng Tàu. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS VIE-010; Admiralty F3082; NGA 20444.


Vũng Tàu Light, Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu, March 2008
photo copyright Howard Garner; used by permission

Ba Yen (Rach Cai Gau) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); nine red flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands and mounted on a platform supported by piles. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This is an approacg range for the Saigon River. Located off the Saigon delta, east of the river entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F3084; NGA 20448.
Ba Yen (Rach Cai Gau) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); nine white flashes every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located in marshland about 375 m (0.23 mi) northwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3084.1; NGA 20452.
Sông Sài Gòn (Saigon River)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 18 m (59 ft); green light, characteristic unknown. Approx. 18 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted with green and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the Sông Sài Gòn (Saigon River). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Hòn Bảy Cạnh (Con Son, Poulo Condore)
1887. Active; focal plane 212 m (696 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; house roof is red. A 2010 photo is available, Michel Forand has a historic photo, and Google has a satellite view. Hòn Bảy Cạnh is the second largest of a group of 14 islands, the Côn Đảo archipelago, in the South China Sea about 120 km (75 mi) southeast of the Mekong Delta and 185 km (115 mi) south of Vũng Tàu. The French established a infamous penal colony on the largest island, Côn Sơn, in 1861, and the prison continued in operation until the end of the Vietnam War in 1975. The islands are now included in a national park and tourism is being developed. Located on heights above the eastern tip of the island. Site status unknown; photos suggest that the area is accessible by hiking trails but the light station is closed. ARLHS VIE-021; Admiralty F3046; NGA 20476.
* Đá Trắng (Côn Đảo) (2)
2001. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower mounted on a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands, base painted white. A Google satellite view probably shows this lighthouse. SVMS's coordinates for the light are inaccurate, but the lighthouse is apparently located on the southeastern tip of Côn Sơn. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F3049.5; NGA 20486.

Tiền Giang Province Lighthouse
Cửa Tiểu (Cua Thieu, Banc Norodom) (2)
Date unknown (recent; station established 1898). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 10 s. 22 m (62 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower centered on a hexagonal 2-story keeper's house, all mounted on a hexagonal platform supported by seven robust piles. Lighthouse painted white. An SVMS photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. This historic offshore light station guides vessels entering the Cửa Tiểu, the northernmost major branch of the Mekong River. Located about 10 km (6 mi) southeast of the mouth of the river and 40 km (25 mi) southwest of Vũng Tàu. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS VIE-042; Admiralty F3060; NGA 20472.

Trà Vinh Province Lighthouses
Ba Động
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 5 s. 23 m (75 ft) round concrete tower with gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Google has a satellite view. The date 1998 provided by SVMS is probably the date this lighthouse was restored or reactivated; its design appears to be older. Located on the south side of one of the mouths of the Mekong River near Ba Động. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3058.
Hồ Tàu (Long Khan Point)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two white flashes every 7 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of Cửa Định An, the principal mouth of the Mekong River, at the southern point of Trà Vinh. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3056.
Cua Tieu Light
Cửa Tiểu Light, Tiền Giang
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety photo

Cà Mau Province Lighthouses
Note: Cà Mau is the southernmost province of Vietnam; it includes the Cà Mau Peninsula (Bán Đảo Cà Mau) terminating in the cape of Cà Mau (Mũi Cà Mau).
Bồ Đề
2001. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 16.5 m (54 ft) round cylindrical tower, flared at the top and centered on a 1-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is mounted on a large platform supported by piles. Light tower painted with red and white horizontal bands, house painted yellow. Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks a river entrance at Bồ Đề, on the southeast coast of the Cà Mau peninsula. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3053.
** Hòn Khoai (Poulo Obi)
1904. Active; focal plane 300 m (984 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) square granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. A 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse guides ships around the cape of Cà Mau, at the southernmost tip of Vietnam; it is a crucial landmark for vessels entering the Gulf of Thailand. The island of Hòn Khoai is being developed as a tourist attraction, and this historic French lighthouse is one of the advertised attractions. Located atop an isolated high island 16 km (10 mi) south of Mũi Cà Mau. Site open; tower apparently open. ARLHS VIE-025; Admiralty F3042; NGA 20492.
Ông Đốc
2005. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 12 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Bing has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse marks a river entrance at Ông Đốc, on the west side of the Cà Mau peninsula. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3041.
Hòn Chuối (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 131 m (430 ft); two white flashes every 7 s. 11 m (36 ft) square light tower with gallery and a small lantern, centered atop a 2-story building. Building painted yellow with white trim. An aerial view is available, and Google has a distant satellite view of the station. This lighthouse is consistent with NGA's description of a 33 ft house, but NGA lists a much higher focal plane of 160 m (525 ft). Located on an island in the Gulf of Thailand about 50 km (30 mi) northwest of Mũi Cà Mau. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-022; Admiralty F3040; NGA 20493.

Hòn Khoai Light, Cà Mau
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety photo

Kiên Giang Province Lighthouses
Note: Several of these lighthouses are built on islands in the Gulf of Thailand that are claimed by both Vietnam and Cambodia; France did not settle this question of sovereignty during the colonial era. Following the collapse of the South Vietnam government at the end of the Vietnam War in 1975, many of these islands were occupied by Cambodian Khmer Rouge forces. All were retaken by Vietnamese troops during several years of fighting between the two countries. Phú Quốc is the largest and most important of these disputed islands.
Thổ Chu (Thổ Châu, Poulo Panjang) (2)
2000. Active; focal plane 140 m (459 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 18 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one corner of a 3-story building. The tower is gray, the lantern and the building are painted yellow with white trim, and the lantern dome is gray metallic. A 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view of the station. NGA lists a 10 m (33 ft) "house" with lantern, presumably an older light. Hòn Thổ Chu (Poulo Panjang) is a remote island in the Gulf of Thailand about 200 km (125 mi) northwest of Mũi Cà Mau and a similar distance southwest of Rạch Giá. The island has a small Vietnamese population and is also claimed by Cambodia. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-028; Admiralty F3039.5; NGA 20494.5.
Hòn Khô
2000. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower mounted on a square concrete base. The tower is painted with red and black horizontal bands. Wikimapia has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on an islet off the western tip of Thổ Chu. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3039.7.
Nam Du (Nan Du)
2001. Active; focal plane 295 m (968 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 11.5 m (33 ft) square light tower with gallery and a small lantern on a post, centered on a 2-story keeper's house. The light tower is gray; the house is painted yellow with white trim. Google's distant satellite view has no detail on this island. This is one of the highest navigational lights in Asia, but NGA lists an even higher light with a focal plane of 319 m (1047 ft). Located on Đảo Nam Du, an island in the Gulf of Thailand about 100 km (60 mi) southwest of Rạch Giá. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-027; Admiralty F3039; NGA 20494.
* Rạch Giá (2)
1993 (station established 1930s). Active; focal plane 23.5 m (77 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. 18.5 m (61 ft) triangular concrete skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; a spiral stairway provides access to the lantern. Lighthouse painted gray. Nearby 2-story keeper's house. Hoang Tung has a view from the sea, a 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Presumably the present lighthouse replaced the 16 m (52 ft) white metal tower listed by NGA for this station. Located on the waterfront in Rạch Giá, Vietnam's principal port on the Gulf of Thailand. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS VIE-048; Admiralty F3036; NGA 20500.
Hòn Chông (Mũi Ông Thầy)
2005. Active; focal plane 36.5 m (102 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 16 s. 15.5 m (51 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. Google has a satellite view. Despite its name, the lighthouse is located not on an island but on a promontory of Mũi Ông Thầy about 15 km (9 mi) south of Bà Hòn. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3033.
Núi Nai (Mui Nai, Hà Tiên) (3)
2000 (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 112 m (367 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. The light tower is gray; the house is painted yellow with white trim. A photo is at right, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on an 8 m (26 ft) stone tower at a focal plane of 62 m (203 ft), and a subsequent tower was described as a "white masonry tower on dwelling." Located on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Hà Tiên and 10 km (6 mi) south of the Cambodian border. Site status unknown. ARLHS VIE-036; Admiralty F3030; NGA 20512.
An Thới (2)
2000. Active; focal plane 80 m (262 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 14 m (46 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower centered atop a 2-story keeper's house. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands; the house is painted yellow with white trim. Bing has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse is on Phú Quốc, a 50 km (30 mi) long island that is part of Vietnam but lies off the south coast of Cambodia. Known for its fine beaches, Phú Quốc is being developed as a resort. The original light was on a 5 m (16 ft) tower. Located at the southern tip of the island, a short distance from the town of An Thới. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3025; NGA 20518.
* Dương Đông (2)
1993 (station established 1930s?). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round tower with gallery and a small lantern. Lighthouse painted with green and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. A smaller tower just offshore is the harbor entrance light. A closeup of the smaller tower is available. The lighthouse is located on a rock outcrop adjacent to the small harbor of Dương Đông, on the west coast of Phú Quốc. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS VIE-044; Admiralty F3022; NGA 20516.

Núi Nai (Hà Tiên) Light, Kiên Giang
Southern Vietnam Maritime Safety photo

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern Vietnam | East: Spratly Islands | West: Cambodia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 24, 2006. Checked and revised September 24, 2012. Lighthouses 44. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.