Lighthouses of the United States: Washington

The U.S. state of Washington was originally part of the Oregon Territory, which was the subject of competing U.S. and British claims until a treaty in 1846 confirmed British occupation of Vancouver Island and set the boundary between the U.S. and British Columbia at latitude 49° east of the Strait of Georgia. This treaty left the status of the San Juan Islands in some doubt, leading to an 1859 military standoff known in Washington as the Pig War although no shots were fired. In 1872, arbitration by Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm I established the international boundary in Haro Strait, placing the San Juan Islands in the United States. Washington became an organized territory, separate from Oregon, in 1853, and it was admitted to the union as the 42nd state in 1889.

An important feature of Washington's geography is Puget Sound, a network of fjords, strewn with islands, penetrating 100 miles (160 km) into the state and leading to the harbors of Seattle and Tacoma. Puget Sound is connected through Admiralty Inlet to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which separates northwestern Washington from Canada's Vancouver Island.

Preservation efforts in Washington have been strong for many years, and they are assisted by the Washington Lightkeepers Association, founded in 2003. In addition, the United States Lighthouse Society has its headquarters at the Point No Point Lighthouse in Hansville.

Navigational aids in the United States are operated by the U.S. Coast Guard, but ownership (and sometimes operation) of historic lighthouses has been transferred to local authorities and preservation organizations in many cases. Aids to navigation in Washington are maintained by Coast Guard District 13, based in Seattle. Aids to Navigation Teams are based at Seattle, at Kennewick for the Columbia River, and at Astoria, Oregon, for the Pacific coast.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. USCG numbers are from volume 6 of the U.S. Coast Guard List of Lights.

General Sources
Washington Lighthouses
An informative web site supporting the restoration efforts at all of the state's lighthouses.
Washington Lighthouses
From Kraig Anderson of LighthouseFriends.com, photos and accounts of the state's lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - U.S. West Coast
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas; many of the Washington photos are by Michael Boucher.
Lighthouses in Washington (state)
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Northwest Coast of U.S.
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Washington, United States
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Coast Guard Lighthouses - Washington
Historic photos with notes.
Leuchttürme USA auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

North Head Light
North Head Light, Ilwaco, September 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Snappy Mom

Columbia River Lighthouses

Benton County Lighthouse
Clover Island (Kennewick)
2010. Active; focal plane about 70 ft (21 m); white flash every 4 s. 62 ft (19 m) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Kevin Cole's photo is at right, Gary Paulsen has a photo, Kevin Salisbury has a February 2010 photo showing the new lighthouse in the right background, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Clover Island is in the Columbia River between Kennewick and Pasco; it is accessible by a causeway from North Washington Street in Kennewick. The lighthouse is part of a $1.12 million project to develop the island as a park. The light has been approved by the Coast Guard as a navigational aid. Construction began in September 2009 and was completed in May 2010. Located at the west (upstream) end of the island. Site open, tower closed. USCG 6-13053.

Clark County Lighthouse
* St. Helens Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 58 ft (19 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 54 ft (16.5 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream north of St. Helens, Oregon. Located off Dike Road on the east side of the river opposite St. Helens. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4686.1; USCG 6-11035.

Cowlitz County Lighthouses
Martin Island Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 54 ft (16.5 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 54 ft (16.5 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream north of St. Helens, Oregon. Located off the southern end of Martin Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4684.1; USCG 6-10990.
Bybee Ledge Channel Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 50 ft (15 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream south of Kalama. Located in the mouth of Martin Slough. Accessible only by boat, but visible from the southbound lanes of the I-5 expressway. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4682.81; USCG 6-10955.
Clover Island Light
Clover Island Light, Kennewick, February 2011
Flickr photo copyright Kevin Cole; used by permission
Cottonwood Island Upper Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 52 ft (16 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 52 ft (16 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a good aerial view. This range guides vessels downstream on the approach to Longview. Located on Cottonwood Island about 2.5 mi (4 km) southeast of Longview. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4674.1; USCG 6-10880.
Cottonwood Island Lower Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 63 ft (19 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 59 ft (18 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has an aerial view. This range guides vessels upstream (eastward) past Longview. Located on Cottonwood Island just off the north bank of the river about 1.5 mi (2.5 km) southeast of Longview. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4666.1; USCG 6-10825.
Stella Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 59 ft (18 m); green light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 59 ft (18 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides vessels downstream (westward). Located just off the north bank of the river about 10 mi (16 km) northwest of Longview. Accessible only by boat, but easily seen from the riverbank highway (WA 4). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4651.1; USCG 6-10665.

Wahkiakum County Lighthouses
Skamokawa/Puget Island Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 48 ft (15 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 48 ft (15 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries rectangular daymarks painted red with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This tower carries lights for the upstream Skamokawa Range and the downstream Puget Island Range. Located in Pete Anders Slough, just off the river about 2 mi (3.2 km) northwest of Cathlamet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Julia Butler Hansen National Wildlife Refuge. Skamokawa Range Rear: Admiralty G4618.41; USCG 6-10360. Puget Island Range: Admiralty G4620.1; USCG 6-10390.
Harrington Point Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 61 ft (19 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 61 ft (19 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels upstream past Rice Island. Located off the north bank of the river about 9 mi (15 km) northeast of Astoria, Oregon. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4606.1; USCG 6-10180.

Pacific Coast Lighthouses

Pacific County Lighthouses
* Cape Disappointment
1856 (Francis Kelly and Francis Gibbons). Active; focal plane 220 ft (67 m); flashes every 15 s, alternating red and white. 53 ft (16 m) stone tower attached to oil house; 4th order Barbier & Bernard Fresnel lens (1898). The original 1st order Fresnel lens (transferred to North Head in 1898) is on display nearby at Fort Canby's Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. Lighthouse painted with horizontal black and white bands, lantern black. Keeper's house and fog signal building demolished. The original fog bell is on display outside the Columbia County Courthouse in St. Helens, Oregon. A photo is at right, a 2008 closeup is available, Sue Olson has a fine view, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view and Jonathan Nelson's street view. This is Washington's oldest lighthouse. In October 2006, Washington State Parks announced plans to acquire the lighthouse from the Coast Guard and open it to the public, but nothing has come of this as yet. Located on a high bluff overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River. Accessible by hiking trail (1.5 miles (2.5 km) round trip) from the end of WA 100 south of Ilwaco. Site open, tower closed except for an occasional open house. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Washington State Parks (Cape Disappointment State Park). ARLHS USA-112; Admiralty G4532; USCG 6-0695.
* North Head
1898. Active; focal plane 194 ft (59 m); two white flashes every 30 s, flashes separated by 7.5 s. 65 ft (20 m) brick tower with plaster overlay, attached to workroom; VRB-25 aerobeacon (1999). The original 1st order Fresnel lens (transferred from Cape Disappointment) is on display nearby at Fort Canby's Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center; the 4th order Fresnel lens used from 1935 to the 1950s is on display at the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria, Oregon. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. The brick principal keeper's house and half of the duplex assistant keeper's house are available for overnight rental or special events such as weddings; the other half of the assistant keepers's house is a ranger residence. A photo appears at the top of this page, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view and Jonathan Nelson's street view. In May 2011, the tower was closed to tours due to a rusted beam supporting the stairway; it reopened in 2012. Ownership of the light station was transferred to Washington State Parks in November 2012. The state and a preservation group, Keepers of North Head Light , are working to repair and restore the lighthouse. The lantern will be restored in spring 2015. Located on a rocky headland at the end of North Head Lighthouse Road, off WA 100 about 2 miles (3 km) southwest of Ilwaco and 1.5 miles (2.5 km) north of the mouth of the Columbia River. Site open (free), tower expected to reopen in May 2015. Owner/site manager: Washington State Parks (Cape Disappointment State Park). ARLHS USA-553; Admiralty G4718; USCG 6-0700.
Cape Disappointment Light
Cape Disappointment Light, Ilwaco, December 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Another Believer

Grays Harbor County Lighthouses
*** Grays Harbor (Westport)
1898. Active; focal plane 123 ft (37.5 m); flashes every 15 s, alternating red and white. 107 ft (32.5 m) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery; FA-251 lens (1992) mounted on the balcony. The original Henry LePaute 3rd order clamshell rotating Fresnel lens is still in the lantern but has not been used since 1992. Light tower painted white; lantern, gallery and watch room gray; lantern roof red. The keeper's house has been demolished, but two oil houses survive. G.D. Taber's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Boucher, Wikimedia has photos, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has good aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is Washington's tallest lighthouse. In 1999 the tower was closed to the public due to dangers from lead paint and the mercury formerly used in the lens mechanism. After a cleanup, the lighthouse was reopened in 2001. In 2003-04 the Coast Guard spent $220,000 to renovate and repair the tower. On August 24, 2004, ownership of the tower was transferred to the Westport-South Beach Historical Society under NHLPA. The society has a 5-year plan to restore the lighthouse and lens. The light station is adjacent to Westport Light State Park. Located off WA 105 on the south side of the Grays Harbor entrance in Westport. Site open, museum open daily year round, tower open to tours daily April through September and Friday through Monday in February, March, October, and November; closed December and January. Owner: Westport-South Beach Historical Society. Site manager: Westport Maritime Museum. ARLHS USA-342; Admiralty G4726; USCG 6-0720.
* Point Chehalis (Range Rear) (Siren Tower)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 66 ft (20 m); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along the range line. 62 ft (19 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a square platform supported by piles. The tower carries a rectangular daymark, red with a black vertical stripe. Fog siren (2 s blast every 15 s). Trabas has Boucher's photo, a 2013 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is the approach range for the inlet to Grays Harbor. Located on the beach on the south side of the inlet in Westport, off the end of Harms Street. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4728.1; USCG 6-15590.
North Channel Range C Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 70 ft (21.5 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along the range line. 70 ft (21.5 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a square platform supported by piles. The tower carries a rectangular daymark, red with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the tallest of several major range towers inside Grays Harbor. Located on a sandbar about 3.5 mi (6 km) west of Hoquiam, on the east side of the bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4733.1; USCG 6-15720.
Westport Light
Grays Harbor Light, Westport, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by G.D. Taber
* Grays Harbor Bar Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 65 ft (20 m); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along the range line. 62 ft (19 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark, red with a black vertical stripe. Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the inlet to Grays Harbor. Located on the north side of the inlet in Ocean Shores, behind the Ocean Shores Sewage Plant. Site open, tower closed. USCG 6-15545.

Western Jefferson County Lighthouse
Destruction Island
1891. Inactive since 2008. 94 ft (28.5 m) stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small storage building; solar-powered VRB-25 aerobeacon mounted on a mast on top of the lantern. The original 1st order Fresnel lens is on display at the Westport Maritime Museum in Westport. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black, lantern roof red. The keeper's house has been demolished, but the 1-story concrete fog signal building (now used to temporarily house maintenance crews), two oil houses, and other buildings survive. NOAA C-MAN automatic weather station. The Coast Guard has a historic photo, and Google has a satellite view. In February 2006 the Coast Guard proposed to deactivate this light, and despite some protests the light was extinguished in April 2008. Endangered: the abandoned lighthouse is certain to deteriorate in the region's stormy weather. Located on a rocky island about 3 miles (5 km) off the coast. Visible from US 101 at Ruby Beach about 5 miles (8 km) north of Kalaloch. Accessible only by boat in very dangerous seas. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-225; ex-Admiralty G4746; ex-USCG 6-0735.

Strait of Juan de Fuca Lighthouses

Clallam County Lighthouses
Note: The Strait of Juan de Fuca separates the U.S. state of Washington from the southern end of Vancouver Island in Canada. The strait is about 150 km (90 mi) long and generally about 30 km (19 mi) wide. It carries heavy ship traffic bound to and from the Seattle and Vancouver areas.
Cape Flattery (Tatoosh Island) (1)
1857. Inactive since 2009. 65 ft (20 m) brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising through the center of a 1-1/2 story sandstone keeper's house; VRB-25 aerobeacon (1996). Lighthouse painted white, lantern and watch room black; keeper's house roof is bright red. 1-story fog signal building also preserved. Continuously operating fog horn (2 blasts every 60 s). NOAA C-MAN automatic weather station. Marius Strom's photo is at right, Pat Teglia has a photo, a 2007 photo is available, Trabas has Boucher's distant view, Wikimedia has a 2013 photo, Dustin Price has a distant view, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This historic tower marks the extreme northwestern corner of the original 48 states. Few U.S. lighthouses are as inaccessible. The Coast Guard repaired the buildings in 1999, installing new windows and replacing rotten wood throughout the structures, and the lighthouse was reported in "fair" condition. In September 2009, Coast Guard crews were removing equipment from the station in preparation for turning the structures over to the Makah Nation. The active light (focal plane 165 ft (50 m); two white flashes every 20 s) was moved to a 35 ft (11 m) skeletal tower. Located on Tatoosh Island about 1 mile (1.5 km) off the mainland. Accessible only by boat in very dangerous seas. The light station can be seen from Cape Flattery, which is accessible by rugged roads and a hiking trail (1.5 miles (2.5 km) round trip). Hikers must purchase a recreation permit from the Makah Nation. Site and tower closed; the island, owned by the Makah Nation, is part of a national marine sanctuary and is closed to the public. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-117; Admiralty G4756; USCG 6-0760.
Waadah Island (2)
1930s (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 63 ft (19 m); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 5.5 m (18 ft) square concrete tower. The tower is white except for a small red daymark. A distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Waadah Island is a 40 acre (16 ha) island in the entrance to Neah Bay, about 7 mi (11 km) east of Cape Flattery. The area is popular with scuba divers. According to the National Geodetic Survey, the light was present in 1940, and there was an earlier light before 1930. Located at the northwestern point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 6-16155.
Cape Flattery Light
Cape Flattery Light, Tatoosh Island, October 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Marius Strom
[Slip Point]
1905. Inactive since the late 1990s. The historic fog signal building (1905) and light tower (1916) were demolished in 1951. A skeletal light tower (1951), seen distantly in the Shanklins' photo, was replaced about 2000 by a lightbuoy (green flash every 4 s, USCG 6-16185). Photos on both the Shanklin and Kraig Anderson sites show the original catwalk leading to the skeletal tower, but more recent photos show only the piers of the catwalk remaining. However, the original 2-story wood keeper's house, seen in the Coast Guard's photo of the 1951 light station and in a Google satellite view, survives and houses offices of the Coast Guard and the Clallam County Sheriff's department. There is local interest in restoring the building and perhaps rebuilding the 1916 lighthouse. In 2001 Congress passed legislation transferring 23.6 acres (9.6 ha) of the light station property to the county for inclusion in Clallam Bay Spit County Park. Located at Slip Point on the east side of Clallam Bay, overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Site open. Owner/site manager: Clallam County. ARLHS USA-762; ex-Admiralty G4764.
Ediz Hook (3)
1946 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); three flashes every 10 s, a green flash followed by two white flashes. 50 ft (15 m) square skeletal communications tower. James Smith's photo is at right, Jacob Vanghilde Hansen has a distant view from the sea that shows this light near the right edge, and Google has a satellite view. Note: Wikimedia's photo does not show the light. JThe tower is on the grounds of the U.S. Coast Guard's Air Station Port Angeles. Located at the tip of Ediz Hook, the sand spit protecting Port Angeles Harbor. Site and tower closed, but the light can be seen easily from Black Ball ferries crossing the strait between Port Angeles and Victoria, B.C., Canada. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-266; Admiralty G4768; USCG 6-16280.
[Ediz Hook (2)]
1908 (station established 1865). Inactive since 1946. The lighthouse was an octagonal cylindrical wood tower attached to a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. The Shanklins also have a recent photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Coast Guard has a historic photo, and Wikimedia also has historic photos.The keeper's house, with the light tower removed, was relocated in 1946 and is in use as a private residence. The house is located at Fourth and Albert Streets in Port Angeles, adjacent to Webster Park. Site closed, but the house can be viewed from the street. Site manager: private. ARLHS USA-266; ex-Admiralty G4768.
Ediz Hook Light
Ediz Hook Light, Port Angeles, May 2010
photo copyright James Smith; used by permission
** New Dungeness
1857. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 67 ft (20 m); white flash every 5 s. 63 ft (19 m; lowered from 100 ft (30.5 m) in 1927) stucco-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story assistant keeper's house; VRB-25 aerobeacon (1998). Buildings painted white with red roofs. 1-1/2 story frame principal keeper's house (1905). The lantern was relocated from the Admiralty Head Light in 1927. The 4th order Fresnel lens (1903, moved from Admiralty Head in 1927) is now on display at the Coast Guard Museum Northwest in Seattle. Brick fog signal building (1927). Marius Strom's photo is at right, Anderson has a great page for the lighthouse, a 2008 closeup photo is available, Trabas has Boucher's view from the sea, the Coast Guard has a historic photo as well as an earlier photo taken before the tower was reduced in height, Marinas.com has fine aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. A historic and remarkably well preserved light station. The keeper's houses provide housing for volunteer caretakers, who must be members of the preservation association. Lighthouse Digest has Jeremy D'Entremont's March 2005 feature marking the tenth anniversary of the preservation efforts. In July 1999, a quick-thinking volunteer used lawn sprinklers to deflect a bursh fire that burned around all sides of the station. In early 2006, the Coast Guard announced plans to deactivate the lighthouse and move the light to a small structure at the end of the spit. Preservationists protested this announcement, and the New Dungeness Light Station Association negotiated an agreement with the Coast Guard to keep the light in the tower under the Association's maintenance. The 250 pound vent ball atop the tower was replaced in December 2011. Located 1/2 mile (800 m) from the end of a 6 mile (10 km) long sand spit extending into the Strait of Juan de Fuca north of Dungeness. The spit is the major part of the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge (entry fee). Accessible by boat (docking reservations required in advance) or by hiking the spit (11 miles (18 km) round trip). Site and tower open. Site manager: New Dungeness Light Station Association . ARLHS USA-538; Admiralty G4772; USCG 6-16335.
New Dungeness Light
New Dungeness Light, Dungeness, September 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Marius Strom

Puget Sound Lighthouses

Eastern Jefferson County (Admiralty Inlet) Lighthouses
Note: Admiralty Inlet, a strait connecting the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Puget Sound on the west side of Whidbey Island, provides the entrance to the Seattle-Tacoma area for ocean-going ships. The entrance to the inlet is guarded by the Point Wilson lighthouse on the west side and the Admiralty Head lighthouse (see below) on the east side.
* Point Wilson (1)
1879. Inactive since 1914. 2-story wood keeper's house, formerly carrying a square cylindrical light tower on the roof. The Coast Guard has a historic photo. The light tower was removed, but the building continued in use as the keeper's house for the 1914 lighthouse and provided Coast Guard housing until 2000. Site open, building closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Fort Worden State Park.
* Point Wilson (2)
1914. Active; focal plane 51 ft (15.5 m); unusual characteristic: white light, occulting every 20 s for 5 s, with one red flash in the middle of the occultation. 49 ft (15 m) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from 1-story brick fog signal building. Sibling of Alki Point Light in Seattle. The original 4th order Fresnel lens (1879, transferred from the earlier tower) continues in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and trim gray, roofs red. The assistant keeper's house and two oil houses are also preserved. B. Carlson's photo is at right, Janell Brown has a 2007 photo, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Washington State Parks is interested in acquiring this lighthouse but has been reluctant to do so because of the serious problems at the site. The station is gravely endangered by shoreline erosion and rising sea level. The station buildings have been flooded several times by winter storms, and the only long-term solution is an expensive ($3-5 million) relocation of all the buildings. A crude barrier of rocks provides some protection from wave action but not from high tidal surges. The lighthouse stands on a dramatically beautiful (but highly exposed) site at the entrance to Admiralty Inlet from the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Located 1.5 miles (2.5 km) north of downtown Port Townsend, off WA 20. Site open, tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Fort Worden State Park. ARLHS USA-641; Admiralty G4784; USCG 6-16475.
* Marrowstone Point (2)
1902 (station established 1888). Inactive. 18 ft (5 m) concrete post mounted on a square equipment building, painted white, with a 250 mm lens mounted on a short mast on the top; no lantern. The building appears in most photos of the station, and Anderson has a closeup. Located next to the active light (next entry). Site open, tower closed.
Point Wilson Light
Point Wilson Light, Port Townsend, July 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by B. Carlson
* Marrowstone Point (3)
Date unknown (station established 1888; fog signal built 1918). Active; focal plane 28 ft (8.5 m); white light occulting every 4 s. 28 ft (8.5 m) square fog signal building, painted white, with a 250 mm lens mounted on a short mast on the top; no lantern. The 1-1/2 story Victorian frame keeper's house (1896) provides office, library, and dorm space for a U.S. Geological Survey station. Trabas has Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, and Google has a satellite view. The first light here was on a post; a fog signal and the keeper's house were added in 1896. It's not known when the light was transferred to the roof of the fog signal building. The light station is adjacent to Fort Flagler State Park. Located at the end of Flagler Road, off WA 116 at the northern end of Marrowstone Island. Site open, tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: U.S. Geological Survey (Marrowstone Marine Field Station). ARLHS USA-478; Admiralty G4802; USCG 6-16500.

Kitsap County Lighthouses
Skunk Bay
1964. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 210 ft (64 m); continuous red light. 30 ft (9 m) octagonal cylindrical wooden tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wooden replica of a fog signal building. The lantern room was salvaged from the 1858 Smith Island Light (see also below), which was abandoned in 1957 and lost to shoreline erosion in 1998. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. Trabas has Boucher's photo, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The Coast Guard has a historic photo showing the lantern at the original site on Smith Island. This lighthouse was built by author Jim Gibbs, a former lighthouse keeper. Gibbs, who later moved to Oregon, sold the lighthouse in 1971 to a group of his former neighbors, who maintain it as a private time-share. Located one mile (1.6 km) west of Hansville off Twin Spits Road on Skunk Bay, a bight of Admiralty Inlet. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Skunk Bay Lighthouse Association (private). ARLHS USA-0965; Admiralty G4810; USCG 6-16545.
** Point No Point
1879. Active; focal plane 27 ft (8 m); three white flashes every 10 s. 30 ft (9 m) stucco-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story office and 1-story fog signal building. 4th order Fresnel lens (1898) in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. An apartment in the 2-story frame duplex keeper's house is available for vacation rental. Fog signal building added in 1900. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Tom Woltjer also has a good 2007 photo, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, a webcam shows the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. This is the oldest Puget Sound lighthouse. The light station was leased to Kitsap County in 1998; the county then purchased several tracts adjoining the light station to create a county park covering about 60 acres (24 ha). In 2008, the United States Lighthouse Society relocated its headquarters from San Francisco to this light station. The Society's office is in one half of the dupex keeper's house, and the other half is available for vacation rental. In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA, and in early 2010 the county applied for ownership. In 2010 the National Trust for Historic Preservation granted $100,000 for restoration of the lighthouse. Work was completed in the spring of 2012, and the lighthouse was rededicated on May 12. In July 2012 the county's application for ownership was approved. In early 2013, funds were being raised for restoration of the keeper's house. Located 1 mile (1.5 km) east of Hansville on the Kitsap Peninsula, marking the point where Admiralty Inlet joins Puget Sound. Site open, lighthouse open Saturday and Sunday afternoons April through September; tours of the duplex keeper's house are also available on Saturday afternoons only April through September. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Kitsap County Parks and Recreation (Point No Point County Park). ARLHS USA-631; Admiralty G4828; USCG 6-16550.
Point No Point Light
Point No Point Light, Hansville, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre
* [Orchard Point]
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 34 ft (10.5 m); white flash every 6 s. 20 ft (6 m) square concrete tower, painted white, topped by a radar antenna and fog horn (blast every 30 s, triggered by radio request). Trabas has Boucher's photo, a view from the sound is available, and Google has a satellite view. This light marks the south side of the entrance to the Rich Passage, which separates the south end of Bainbridge Island from the mainland opposite Seattle. In 1904 the light was described as being "suspended from a tree." Located at Orchard Point on the north side of Manchester. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G4870; USCG 6-18035.

Thurston County (Olympia Area) Lighthouse
Dofflemyer Point (2)
1934 (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 30 ft (9 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white, lantern removed; the light is displayed from a short mast atop the capped tower. Jim Nieland has a 2008 photo, Trabas has Boucher's photo, and Google has a satellite view. The tower originally had a small, square lantern, seen in the Coast Guard's historic photo. The lighthouse replaced an 1887 post light. Located at the end of 73rd Avenue NE, marking the northeastern entrance to Budd Inlet at Boston Harbor, north of Olympia. Site and tower closed (the only access is through private property); the lighthouse can be seen from the pier of the nearby Boston Harbor Marina. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS USA-232; Admiralty G4952; USCG 6-17400.

Pierce County (Tacoma Area) Lighthouses
* Gig Harbor
1989 (Stevenson Sparks). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 13 ft (4 m); red flash every 4 s. 15 ft (4.5 m) white octagonal tower with an open cage-style lantern and gallery. A 2007 closeup is available, Dave Spencer has a 2008 photo, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built as a civic project honoring the 200th anniversary of the U.S. lighthouse establishment; it replaced a small post light. Located on the spit at the harbor entrance, at the end of Goodman Drive NW in Gig Harbor northwest of Tacoma. Site open, tower closed. Owner: City of Gig Harbor. Site manager: Gig Harbor Lighthouse Association. ARLHS USA-1064; Admiralty G4930; USCG 6-17221.
** Browns Point (3)
1933 (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 38 ft (11.5 m); white flash every 5 s. 34 ft (10 m) white square cylindrical concrete tower; VRB-25 aerobeacon displayed without lantern at the top. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house (1903). A photo is at right, Keith Tyler has a closeup photo, Trabas has a closeup by Boucher, the Coast Guard has a historic aerial photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. In June 2000 the Tacoma park district leased the keeper's house to the Points Northeast Historical Society; the society has opened it for one-week rentals by volunteer lighthouse keepers. The 1855 fog bell of New Dungeness Light, also used here in 1903-1933, was returned in 2000 and is displayed in the restored pump house; Lighthouse Digest has an article on the bell's history. In 2007, the city restored the chimney and windows of the keeper's house and removed a deteriorated and non-historic garage from the property in order to provide additional parking. The lighthouse marks the east side of the entrance to Commencement Bay, Tacoma's harbor. Located in a city park at 201 Tok a Lou Avenue, several blocks off WA 509 in northeastern Tacoma. Site open; guided tours of the light station available on Saturday afternoons early March through mid November; tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Metro Parks Tacoma (Browns Point Lighthouse Park). ARLHS USA-089; Admiralty G4908; USCG 6-17090.
Browns Point Light
Browns Point Light, Tacoma, September 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Michael B.

King County (Seattle Area) Lighthouses
** Point Robinson (3)
1915 (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 40 ft (12 m); white light, 3 s on, 1 s off, 3 s on, 5 s off. 40 ft (12 m) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story brick fog signal building. Original 5th order Fresnel lens in the lantern but not in use since 2008. Tower painted white with gray trim, lantern and gallery gray, lantern roof red. 1-1/2 story frame keeper's house, assistant keeper's house and other light station buildings. The station was established as a fog signal station in 1885; a post light was added in 1887 and replaced by a wooden lighthouse in 1894. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, Wikimedia has numerous photos, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Both keeper's houses are available for vacation rentals year-round. This lighthouse is very similar to Alki Point Light, but there are interesting differences seen in the photos at right. A local support group, Keepers of Point Robinson, has been formed, and there are plans for a $230,000 restoration. Lighthouse Digest has a story on this effort. In December 2009, the local park district received a $33,000 grant to restore the windows of the lighthouse. In 2014, county funds and a grant were used to replace the roof and repaint the building. Located on Maury Island (attached to Vashon Island) at the end of Point Robinson Road, about 4 miles (6 km) east of Portage. Vashon Island is accessible by ferries from Seattle and Tacoma. There is a short hike down the bluff to the lighthouse. Site open, tower open to guided tours on Sunday afternoons Memorial Day through Labor Day, for special occasions or for group tours. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Vashon Park District (Point Robinson Park). ARLHS USA-637; Admiralty G4906; USCG 6-17070.
Point Robinson Light
Point Robinson Light, Vashon Island, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre
** Alki Point
1913. Active; focal plane 39 ft; white flash every 5 s. 37 ft octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story brick fog signal building; VRB-25 aerobeacon. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display at Admiralty Head Light (see below); another 4th order lens, from the Sentinal Island Light in Alaska, is displayed in the base of the tower. Tower painted white with gray trim, lantern and gallery gray, lantern roof red. The 1-1/2 story wood principal keeper's house (1887) is the residence of the commandant of the 13th Coast Guard District ; the assistant keeper's house is occupied by a resident caretaker. Talan Cooksey's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, a nice view from the sea is available, Wikimedia has many photos, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Lake Union Flotilla of the Coast Guard Auxiliary offers guided tours of the tower. Located at Beach Drive and Alki Avenue in the southwestern part of Seattle. Site and tower open for tours on weekend and holiday afternoons, May through November; parking is available nearby. (Note: The property is fenced, and there's no access to the lighthouse except during the tour hours.) Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-005; Admiralty G4890; USCG 6-16915.
Lightship 83 (WAL-513) Swiftsure
1904 (New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, NJ). Decommissioned 1960. Two-masted steel lightship, lengthened from 112 ft (34 m) to 129 ft (39 m) in 1929, beam 29 ft (9 m). No lantern; the light is mounted atop the aft mast. Anderson has a fine page for the ship, Brendan Leber has a 2006 photo, and Google has a satellite view. One of the oldest U.S.lightships and the only one with its original steam engines. The ship served for 46 years at various California stations, including 21 years (1930-51) as the San Francisco. Transferred to the Pacific Northwest in 1951, its last station was Swiftsure Banks at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Since 1969 the lightship has been at the Northwest Seaport Maritime Heritage Center in Seattle. A two-year restoration project designed to replace the wooden deck and restore the electrical systems began in 2011, and in July 2011 a decorative light was lit in the lantern to celebrate completion of the first phase. A second phase, costing $1 million, was underway in 2013. Moored at the museum on Valley Street at the south end of Lake Union. Site open, vessel closed. Owner/site manager: Northwest Seaport Maritime Heritage Center. ARLHS USA-831.

Alki Point Light, Seattle, August 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Talan Cooksey
West Point (Discovery Park)
1881. Active; focal plane 27 ft (8 m); flash every 5 s, alternating red and white. 23 ft (7 m) stucco-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story office and 1-story fog signal building (1906). Original 4th order Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. Sibling of Point No Point Light. The 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house and assistant keeper's house were used until 2002 for Coast Guard housing. NOAA C-MAN automatic weather station on a separate tower. Dustin Ground has a 2007 closeup, Trabas has Boucher's closeup, Wikimedia has several photos, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has fine aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. In recent years the lighthouse appeared endangered by beach erosion and lack of maintenance. The Seattle City Council set aside $600,000 for restoration and repairs early in 2004, and ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the city through NHLPA in 2006. A $600,000 restoration project began in 2009. The exterior restoration was complete by summer 2010, and work on the keeper's house was completed in 2011. Located on the point, a sharp promontory projecting into Puget Sound north of downtown Seattle. Accessible by hiking trails (2 miles (3 km) one way) of Seattle's Discovery Park; there's also a good view from harbor cruises. Site open, tower closed except for occasional open house weekends. Owner: City of Seattle. Site manager: Seattle Parks and Recreation. ARLHS USA-878; Admiralty G4861; USCG 6-16800.

Snohomish County Lighthouses
*** Mukilteo
1906. Active; focal plane 33 ft (10 m); white flash every 5 s. 30 ft (9 m) octagonal cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story wood fog signal building. 4th order Fresnel lens (1927) in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. Two identical 2-story Victorian frame keeper's houses. The light station is a museum operated by the Mukilteo Historical Society; the 4th order Fresnel lens from the former Desdemona Sands Light is on display. M. Ewert's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page for the lighthouse, the historical society has many photos, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Trabas has Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Ownership of the station was transferred to the city in 2001, and in 2003 the city also took ownership of the former Mukilteo State Park adjacent to the lighthouse. Substantial restoration work has been done and more is planned. Lighthouse Digest had a story on the site in December 1999. An annual Lighthouse Festival is held in August. Located in Mukilteo Lighthouse Park adjacent to the ferry terminal (WA 525) in downtown Mukilteo. Site open, museum open weekends and holidays April through September, tower open to guided tours during museum hours. Owner: City of Mukilteo. Site manager: Mukilteo Historical Society. ARLHS USA-517; Admiralty G4982; USCG 6-18460.
* Anthony's Home Port (Everett)
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained); focal plane about 46 ft (14 m); white flash every 2.5 s. Approx. 36 ft (11 m) square tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story restaurant building. Restaurant painted beige with red trim; lantern painted red. Marcus Bradbury has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the Everett Marina, at the foot of 18th Street in Everett. Site and restaurant open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Anthony's Home Port. ARLHS USA-1109; USCG 6-18545.
Mukilteo Light
Mukilteo Light, Mukilteo, 4 July 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by M. Ewert

Island County (Whidbey Island) Lighthouses
Note: Located at the northern end of Puget Sound, Whidbey Island is a long, rather narrow island, about 40 mi (65 km) in length and nowhere more than 12 mi (19 km) wide. The main entrance to Puget Sound, Admiralty Inlet, is on the west side of the island. The island has a population of almost 60,000 and is readily accessible by a bridge at the north end, a ferry from Mukilteo at the south end, and another ferry from Port Townsend on the west side of Admiralty Inlet.
* Bush Point (2)
1933 (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 25 ft (7.5 m); white flash every 2.5 s. 20 ft (6 m) square pyramidal concrete tower with gallery, painted white with blue trim; no lantern. Trabas has Boucher's photo, a 2008 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse replaced a private light installed by the Farmer family. Located at the end of Lighthouse Way and Lake Avenue on the southwestern shore of Whidbey Island west of Freeland. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS USA-1063; Admiralty G4803; USCG 6-16505.
**** Admiralty Head
1903. Inactive since 1922. 30 ft (9 m) stucco-clad brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to 2-story California Spanish style stucco keeper's house. The original lantern and 4th order Fresnel lens were moved in 1927 to New Dungeness Light; the lens can now be seen at the Coast Guard Museum Northwest in Seattle. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and trim black; keeper's house roofs red. The keeper's house is a museum; the 4th order Fresnel lens from Alki Point Light and a second 4th order Fresnel lens that may have been used at this lighthouse are on display. Frank Last's photo is at right, Anderson has a great page with the history of the light station, Wikimedia has several good photos, and Google has a satellite view and Jonathan Nelson's street view. The Island County Historical Society assisted in restoration of the light station and Lighthouse Environmental Programs provides volunteer staff. A support organization, Keepers of Admiralty Head Lighthouse, operates the lighthouse. In 2009, state funds supported major repairs, including a new roof, window replacement, and new support beams in the basement. In 2011-12, work was underway to replace the lantern with a copy of the original; most of the work was done by high school metal shop students. The new lantern was installed on 24 August 2012; the Whidbey News Times has a photo of the lantern just before its installation. Located on a high bluff over Admiralty Inlet near the Keystone Ferry Landing (WA 20) on Whidbey Island. Site open, museum and tower open daily in July and August and on weekends March thorugh Christmas (free). Owner: Washington State Parks (Fort Casey State Park). Site manager: Admiralty Head Lighthouse. ARLHS USA-002.
Admiralty Head Lighthouse
Admiralty Head Light, Coupeville, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Frank Last
Smith Island (2)
1957 (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 97 ft (30 m); white flash every 10 s. 50 ft (15 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The tower also carries weather instruments as a NOAA C-MAN station. 1-story assistant keeper's house. NOAA has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a classic New England style 1-1/2 story keeper's house with a light tower centered on the roof. It was abandoned when beach erosion brought it close to the edge of a bluff. A portfolio of photos and a photo taken in the 1970s are available. A Lighthouse Digest article describes how the last fragment of the house finally collapsed over the edge in 1998. Smith Island is a small island at the east end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, south of the San Juan Islands and about 6 miles (10 km) west of the Swantown area of northern Whidbey Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS USA-763; Admiralty G4778; USCG 6-16375.
Swinomish Channel South Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, visible only along and near the range line. 50 ft (15 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower mounted on a platform supported by piles; the tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The Swinomish Channel is a narrow, mostly dredged, passage connecting Skagit Bay to Padilla Bay east of Anacortes. This range guides vessels leaving the channel at its south end. Located in Skagit Bay just off the northeast coast of Whidbey Island. Accessible only by boat, but easily seen from shore. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G5024.1; USCG 6-18825.

San Juan Islands Area Lighthouses

Skagit County (Anacortes Area) Lighthouse
Burrows Island
1906 (C.W. Leick). Active; focal plane 57 ft (17.5 m); white flash every 6 s. 34 ft (10 m) square cylindrical wooden tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wooden fog signal building; 300 mm lens (1994). The original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display at the Coast Guard station in Port Angeles. Lighthouse painted white, gallery black, roofs red. The station includes a 2-story wood keeper's house, boathouse, and helipad. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). John Patterson has a closeup photo, Trabas has Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The 40 acres (18 ha) surrounding the lighthouse have been transferred from the Coast Guard to the state park system, but so far the new park is undeveloped. In 2006 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA, and in 2010 it was announced that ownership of the light station would be transferred to the Northwest Schooner Society. Actual transfer awaits a Coast Guard cleanup of contamination around the site, but in April 2011 the society was licensed to begin restoration work. The Society has a web site for the lighthouse (click on the balloon). Located on the southwestern side of the island overlooking Rosario Strait, about 5 miles (8 km) southwest of Anacortes. Accessible only by boat, this site has become a popular destination for sea kayakers. Site open but rather difficult to access, tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Burrows Island Lightstation State Park. ARLHS USA-098; Admiralty G5036; USCG 6-19350.

San Juan County (San Juan Islands) Lighthouses

Note: The San Juan Islands are located at the southern end of the Strait of Georgia, between Canada's Vancouver Island and the mainland of Washington. The major islands can be accessed by ferry from Anacortes.
* Cattle Point (2)
1935 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 94 ft (28.5 m); white flash every 4 s. 34 ft (10 m) octagonal cylindrical white concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on the top of a square fog signal building. Fog horn (blast every 15 s). Restored Coast Guard radio station (1921). Trabas has Boucher's photo, Joe Collver has a closeup photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. A trail leads to the lighthouse from a picnic shelter (housed in the former powerhouse of the radio station). In 1984 the lighthouse was equipped briefly with a lantern for an appearance in an Exxon television commercial. The tower is endangered by erosion of its foundation; the Coast Guard made emergency repairs in the summer of 2010 but a permanent fix apparently will require at least two years of design and permitting. Located in the Cattle Point Interpretive Area at the southeastern tip of San Juan Island overlooking the South San Juan Channel. Island accessible by state ferry (toll) from Anacortes. Site open (free), tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: U.S. National Park Service (San Juan Island National Historical Park). ARLHS USA-146; Admiralty G5124; USCG 6-19555.
** Lime Kiln (2)
1938 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 55 ft (17 m); white flash every 10 s. 38 ft (12 m) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story concrete fog signal building; VRB-25 aerobeacon (1998). Lighthouse painted white, lantern and trim gray, roofs red. Fog horn (blast every 30 s). 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, assistant keeper's house and other light station buildings. Dave Sizer's photo is at right, another closeup photo is available, Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of Alki Point Light in Seattle. The fog signal building is original (1914); the present light tower was added in 1938. The keeper's house was formerly used as a park ranger residence. In 1985, the light station was leased by the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor as a center for whale tracking and research. Located off Westside Road on the west side of San Juan Island. The island is accessible by state ferry (toll) from Anacortes. Site open (free), tower open to guided tours on summer Saturday evenings. Owner: Washington State Parks (?). Site manager: Whale Museum and Lime Kiln Point State Park. ARLHS USA-433; Admiralty G5335; USCG 6-19695.
Lime Kiln Light
Lime Kiln Light, San Juan Island, September 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dave Sizer
Turn Point (2)
1936 (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 44 ft (13 m); white flash every 2.5 s. 44 ft (13 m) square cylindrical white concrete tower with gallery. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). The fog signal building and 2-story wood keeper's house (1893) predate the light tower. The 2-story wood keeper's house provides housing during the summer for scientists studying whale populations. Larry Myhre has a photo, a view from the sea is available, Trabas has Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the western end of Stuart Island overlooking Haro Strait opposite Sidney, British Columbia. Island accessible only by boat, but public docking is available. Site and tower closed. Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: U.S. Bureau of Land Management (San Juan Islands National Monument). ARLHS USA-858; Admiralty G5340; USCG 6-19790.
Patos Island (2)
1908 (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 52 ft (16 m); white flash every 6 s (two red sectors cover dangerous shoals). 35 ft (11 m) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story wood fog signal building; solar-powered 300 mm lens. The original 4th order Fresnel lens was later transferred to Alki Point in Seattle and is now in private ownership. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and trim gray, roofs red. The original keeper's house was demolished in 1958; two modern keeper's houses have also been removed. The fog signal building (1898) predates the light tower. Kai Strandskov's photo is at right, Trabas has Boucher's photo, the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Lighthouse-News.com has an article on life at the station during the 1950s, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of Burrows Island (see below). Northernmost of the San Juan Islands, Patos Island is uninhabited. The Keepers of the Patos Light was formed in 2007 to work with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to restore the site. In 2008, the exterior of the lighthouse was restored and the interior painted and secured. Anderson has Eric Geyer's photo of this work in progress. Located at the northwest end of the island, about 5 miles (8 km) north of Orcas Island in the Strait of Georgia. The island is accessible only by boat; two mooring buoys are provided. Site open, tower closed except for open house events on spring and summer weekends. Owner: U.S. Bureau of Land Management. Site manager: Patos Island State Park. ARLHS USA-584; Admiralty G5024.1; USCG 6-19825.
Patos Island Light
Patos Island Light, Patos Island, April 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kai Strandskov

Whatcom County Lighthouse
* [Point Roberts]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 ft (9 m); two white flashes every 15 s. 26 ft (8 m) square skeletal tower carrying a diamond-shaped daymark painted in a red and white checkerboard pattern. Stanley Lo has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Point Roberts is located at the end of a peninsula that projects southward from Delta, British Columbia, across the 49th parallel into the United States. In 1908, the federal government bought 21 acres (9 hectares) of land at the end of the peninsula for a light station, but the lighthouse was never built. The land was transferred eventually to Whatcom County as the Lighthouse Marine Park. In 2000, the Point Roberts Lighthouse Society was formed with the purpose of building a proper lighthouse on the point, but nothing has come from this effort so far. Located at the southwestern point of the Lighthouse Marine Park in Point Roberts. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G5152; USCG 6-19965.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Red Bluff (1860-1903), Whidbey Island, Island County. This was a predecessor of the Admiralty Head lighthouse. Another photo is available, and Lighthouse Digest has an article on the history of the station. ARLHS USA-1155.
  • Semiahmoo Harbor (1905-1944), Semiahmoo Bay off Blaine, Whatcom County. Lighthouse Digest has an article on the history of the station. ARLHS USA-747.
  • Willapa Bay (Shoalwater Bay) (1858-1940), Willapa Bay, Pacific County. Built on a sand spit, this lighthouse was lost to beach erosion in 1940. The Shanklins have a photo of a barbell-shaped fiberglass light that was a successor of this lighthouse, but it has also been removed. ARLHS USA-893.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • Bellingham has a faux lighthouse at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill on Bellwether Way. It may be active but does not serve as an aid to navigation. Google has a street view and a satellite view.
  • Dimick (1990), Port Townsend, Jefferson County, is a privately-built replica of the Mukilteo Light; it is not an aid to navigation. Kelly Manning has an excellent photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view.
  • Port Orchard (1984), Port Orchard, Kitsap County. This waterfront lighthouse restaurant was reopening in May 2014 as Robert Earl Lighthouse. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse may be active, but it is not a recognized aid to navigation.

Adjoining pages: North: British Columbia | South: Oregon

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted 2001. Checked and revised October 19, 2014. Lighthouses: 44. Lightships: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.