Lighthouses of the United States: Eastern Wisconsin

Located in the western Great Lakes region, the U.S. state of Wisconsin has two coastlines. One coastline faces north on Lake Superior and includes the Apostle Islands stretching out into the lake. The other coastline faces east on Lake Michigan. Green Bay, a branch of Lake Michigan, is separated from the main part of the lake by the scenic Door Peninsula. This page includes lighthouses of the Lake Michigan coastline and Lake Winnebago, which drains northward into Green Bay through the Fox River. Lighthouses of the Lake Superior coastline are described on the Northern Wisconsin page.

There is no state lighthouse preservation society in Wisconsin, but many local lighthouse societies are active.

Aids to navigation in Wisconsin are maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard Ninth District, but ownership (and sometimes operation) of historic lighthouses has been transferred to local authorities and preservation organizations in many cases.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. USCG numbers are from volume 7 of the U.S. Coast Guard List of Lights.

General Sources
Seeing the Lights - Wisconsin
This outstanding site, written by Terry Pepper, has fine photos, extensive historical accounts, and current information on nearly all of the lighthouses.
Wisconsin Lighthouses
Part of Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com site; includes photos and brief accounts for nearly all the lighthouses.
Lighthouses of the Great Lakes
Maintained by Neil Schultheiss, this site has good photos and short accounts for many of the state's lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Wisconsin, United States
Excellent aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lake Michigan Lighthouses
Excellent photos by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Wisconsin
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Wisconsin Attractions: Lighthouses and Lighthouse Tours
Tourist information posted by Wisconsin Online.
The Lighthouse People - Wisconsin
Photos of all the state's lighthouses by Bob and Sandra Shanklin.
Coast Guard Lighthouses - Wisconsin
Historic photos and notes, posted by the U.S. Coast Guard Historian's office.
National Maritime Inventory - Wisconsin
Inventory of Michigan lighthouse data.
Wisconsin Historical Lighthouses
Rare early photos posted by the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Leuchttürme USA auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Door County Lighthouses
Posted by the Door County Maritime Museum, this site has historical information on 9 light stations in the county as well as current information on visiting the lighthouses. The Museum sponsors the Door County Lighthouse Festival every June, a weekend when most of the county's lighthouses hold open house for visitors.

Eagle Bluff Light
Eagle Bluff Light, Fish Creek, May 2009
Flickr photo copyright Christopher Franklin
used by permission

Green Bay Lighthouses

Note: Green Bay is a large embayment on the northwestern shore of Lake Michigan, separated from the main part of the lake by Wisconsin's Door Peninsula and a series of islands.
Marinette County Lighthouses
[Green Island (1)]
1863. Inactive since 1956. Ruins of a 2-story stone keeper's house; the light tower has collapsed. Anderson's page has photos, the Shanklins have an aerial photo of the site, and Bing has a satellite view of the ruins. The building was vacated when the lighthouse was automated in 1933. It deteriorated steadily, and the Coast Guard moved the light to a skeletal tower in 1956. The lighthouse was later burned by vandals, and it is on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. In 2011, development plans were approved for a resort and vacation homes on the island; the developers also plan to rebuild the lighthouse. Located on an island in Green Bay about 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Marinette. Accessible only by boat. Owner, site status and site manager unknown. ARLHS USA-945.
Green Island (2)
1956 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 80 ft; white flash every 6 s. 65 ft (20 m) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. Pepper has a photo by Larry Bell, and Bing has a satellite view. Located adjacent to the ruins of the historic lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-21970.
Peshtigo Reef
1936. Active; focal plane 72 ft (22 m); white flash every 6 s. 72 ft (22 m) round steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete crib. Lighthouse painted white with a single broad red band; lantern is black. Fog horn (blast every 30 s) when needed. Anderson has a page with good photos, Kenny Sallee's photo is at right, and Shanklins also have a photo, but the light is barely visible in Bing's distant satellite view. Keepers from Sherwood Point Light originally maintained the lighthouse. Located about 3 miles (5 km) off Peshtigo Point southeast of Peshtigo. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-951; USCG 7-21990.

Brown County (Green Bay City Area) Lighthouses
Green Bay Harbor Entrance
1935. Active; focal plane 72 ft (22 m); red light occulting every 4s. Round cylindrical steel tower rising from circular steel workroom, mounted on concrete caisson; the small lantern is topped by a short radio mast. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Fog horn (blast every 15 s) when needed. The Coast Guard also has a photo, but the light is barely visible in Bing's distant satellite view. Located about 9 mi (15 km) northeast of Green Bay harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-352; USCG 7-22130.
Peshtigo Reef Light
Peshtigo Reef Light, Green Bay, June 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Kenny Sallee; used by permission
Long Tail Point (1)
1849. Inactive since 1859. Ruined 65 ft (20 m) round stone tower. A 2012 photo and a historic photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced in 1859 by a square tower attached to a 2-story keeper's house; the Wisconsin Historical Society has a photo of that lighthouse. In 1899 the light was moved to an offshore crib. The keeper's house was sold in 1936, but it collapsed during the effort to relocate it. Lighthouse Digest has this tower on the Doomsday List. Located near the end of the point, which projects into the bay north of the city of Green Bay. Accessible only by boat (the point does not connect to the mainland), and the lighthouse site is hard to reach through dense vegetation. Owner: Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources. Site manager: Long Tail Point State Wildlife Area. ARLHS USA-452.
Green Bay Range Rear Light
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); green light occulting once every 4 s; also a passing light, focal plane 20 ft (6 m), yellow flash every 4 s. 27 m (89 ft) round cylindrical white tower, mounted on a concrete pier and carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the modern light replacing the historic Long Tail Point lighthouses. Located off Long Tail Point about 4 mi (6.5 km) north northeast of the Green Bay waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-22185.
* Grassy Island Range Front
1872. Inactive since 1966 (a decorative light is often displayed). 26 ft (8 m) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof black. C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page with good photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view of the two lighthouses. These lighthouses were originally located on a pier adjacent to a small island at the entrance to Green Bay harbor; the Coast Guard has a 1914 photo of the light station, and Huelse has a historic postcard view of the front light. Members of the Green Bay Yacht Club saved the towers from demolition in 1966, relocating them to the grounds of the club on the east side of the mouth of the Fox River in Green Bay. The club began restoring the front range light in 2000 and the rear light in 2003; a ceremony in November 2005 marked the end of the restoration projects. Located upstream from the end of Bay Beach Road, off the I-43 freeway in downtown Green Bay. There are good views from the municipal boat launching ramp. Site open, towers closed. Owner/site manager: Green Bay Yachting Club. ARLHS USA-334.
* Grassy Island Range Rear
1872. Inactive since 1966 (a decorative light is often displayed). 36 ft (11 m) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof black. This is the lighthouse at the left in the photo. See previous entry for historical information. Located upstream from the end of Bay Beach Road, off the I-43 freeway in downtown Green Bay. There are good views from the municipal boat launching ramp. Site open, towers closed. Owner/site manager: Green Bay Yachting Club. ARLHS USA-339.
Grassy Island Range Lights
Grassy Island Range Rear (left) and Front Lights, Green Bay, August 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.M. Hanchey

Western Door County Lighthouses
Sherwood Point
1883. Active; focal plane 61 ft (18.5 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 37 ft (11 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached church-style to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. The 4th order Fresnel lens (1892) was removed in October 2002 for display at the Door County Maritime Museum. Tower painted white with black trim; lantern and keeper's house roofs painted red. Square pyramidal wood bell tower (bell removed). The keeper's house is used as a vacation cottage for Coast Guard personnel. Christopher Franklin's photo is at right, Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse, J. Baldwin has a photo, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Google has a satellite view. This was the last manned station on the U.S. Great Lakes. Located on the west side of the entrance to Sturgeon Bay near the end of county road M. Site and tower normally closed; open during the Door County Lighthouse Festival in June. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-754; USCG 7-22000.
* [Dunlap Reef Range Rear]
1881. Inactive since 1924. 2-story wood keeper's house, formerly with a square cylindrical wood light tower mounted on the roof. The lighthouse was originally built on a limestone and timber crib about 1/2 mile north of the Michigan Street bridge in downtown Sturgeon Bay. The house, with the tower removed, was relocated in 1925 to 411 South Fourth Avenue in the town of Sturgeon Bay, where it has been used as a private residence ever since. Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The reef is now marked by a post light (focal plane 31 ft (10 m); green flash every 4 s; USCG 7-21160). Site closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-937.

Sherwood Point Light, Sturgeon Bay, September 2009
Flickr photo copyright Christopher Franklin; used by permission
* Chambers Island (1)
1868. Inactive since 1961. 67 ft (20 m) round cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. Lower half of the tower is square and upper half octagonal. The lantern has been removed. Anderson has a page with good photos, the Coast Guard has a photo (misfiled under Michigan), and Bing has a satellite view. The Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station. The building is occupied by resident caretakers, who are working to restore the lighthouse and establish a small museum. Transportation to the island is available from Fish Creek. Located at the end of Baseline Road on the northwestern side of the island, about 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Fish Creek. Site open, lighthouse open in season when the caretaker is present; also open during the Door County Lighthouse Festival in May and other guided tours arranged by the Door County Maritime Museum. Owner/site manager: Town of Gibraltar (Chambers Island Park). ARLHS USA-150.
* Chambers Island (2)
1961. Active; focal plane 97 ft (30 m); white flash every 6 s. 67 ft (20 m) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. The tower can be seen in the Coast Guard's photo of the light station. Located adjacent to the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-21895.
**** Eagle Bluff
1868. Active; focal plane 75 ft (23 m); white flash every 6 s. 43 ft (13 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. 5th order Fresnel lens (1918) mounted in the lantern, but the active light is a solar-powered 300 mm lens mounted on the gallery. Buildings unpainted brick; roofs red. Similar to Chambers Island Light, except all of the tower is square. The building is a maritime museum operated by the Door County Historical Society. Christopher Franklin's photo is at the top of this page, Pepper has a fine page with historical information, Anderson has a page with good photos, Marilyn Whiteley has a photo, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Bing has a satellite view. The Coast Guard restored the lighthouse in 1960-63. On October 16, 2003, a ceremony transferred ownership of the light station to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. The roof of the building was replaced in 2014. Located on Shore Drive at the western entrance to Eagle Harbor, about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of Ephraim. Site open (park entry fee), museum and tower open late May to mid October (admission fee, and there is also a state park entry fee). Owner: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (Peninsula State Park). Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Door County Maritime Museum. ARLHS USA-252; USCG 7-21825.

Northern Door County (Washington Island Area) Lighthouses
Note: Washington Island, approximately 5 miles (8 km) wide by 6 miles (10 km) long, is located off the tip of the Door Peninsula. The island has a population of about 650 and is accessible by auto ferry from Northport.
Boyer Bluff (2)
Date unknown (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 220 ft (67 m); white flash every 6 s. 80 ft (24 m) triangular cylindrical steel skeletal tower. A 2009 photo is available, Andy Bach has a view from the lake, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the highest navigational aid on the U.S. Great Lakes. The present tower replaced the pyramidal skeletal tower seen in a 1981 photo. Located on Boyer Bluff at the northwestern corner of Washington Island. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-21770.
** Pottawatomie (Rock Island) (1)
1858. Inactive since 1988. 41 ft (12.5 m) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story limestone keeper's house. The lantern was removed in 1988 when the light was moved to a nearby steel skeletal tower, but it was restored in 1999. The building is unpainted stone with a red roof; the lantern is painted black. A photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page with good photos, Tony Hodges has posted additional photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The Friends of Rock Island State Park work for restoration of the lighthouse. In 2003, the Friends were using grant funds to furnish the lighthouse with period furniture, and there were plans to have live-in summer caretakers to offer tours. An acrylic replica of the original 4th order Fresnel lens has been installed. The Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and extensive historical information is available on the Friends of Rock Island web site. Located on Rock Island off the extreme northeastern end of the Door Peninsula. The island is accessible from late May to mid October by passenger ferry from Washington Island, which is accessible by auto ferry from Northport. The lighthouse is accessible by a 2-mile (3 km) hike from the ferry landing. Site open, lighthouse open to tours on weekends in summer. Owner: Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources. Site manager: Rock Island State Park. ARLHS USA-664.
Pottawatomie (Rock Island) (2)
1988 (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 159 ft; white flash every 4 s. Approx. 65 ft (20 m) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower. Anderson has a photo. Located in front (north) of the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-21425.
[Porte des Morts (Plum Island)]
1846. Inactive since 1858. Foundation ruins of this stone lighthouse remain visible near the Plum Island Range Rear Light. Pepper has a photo. When it was active the station was called, in very bad French, Port du Morts. It was replaced by the Pilot Island light (see below). ARLHS USA-1068.

Pottawatomie Light, Rock Island, September 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Terry
Plum Island Range Rear
1897. Active; focal plane 80 ft (24 m); continuous red light, day and night. 65 ft (20 m) square pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder, lantern and double gallery; original 4th order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. The tower also carries a rectangular daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Sibling of Coney Island Light, NY. The 2-story brick keeper's house is abandoned and deteriorating. The front range light (similar to the Bailey's Harbor Range Front Light) was replaced in 1964 by a skeletal tower (focal plane 41 ft; red light, 3 s on, 3 s off). Anderson has an excellent page with several photos, Lighthouse Digest has an October 2003 feature on Pilot Island and Plum Island Lights, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house and Coast Guard station were listed among Wisconsin's 10 most endangered historic properties in April 2000. The island has become a national wildlife refuge, and the Door County Maritime Museum agreed with U.S. Fish and Wildlife to assume responsibility for the light station. A major stumbling block was old fuel spills on the island; in 2004 the Coast Guard completed an $863,000 project to clean these up. However, as delay has piled on delay the Museum backed away from its earlier commitment, and Fish and Wildlife is now working with the Friends of Pilot and Plum Islands on a management plan. In October 2007, ownership was finally transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service. The island will be open for limited public access. Lighthouse located on the southwest side of the island across the Porte des Morts (Death's Door) Passage from Northport; visible from the Northport-Washington Island ferry. Accessible only by boat. Shoreline Resort, at Ellison Bay, offers sightseeing cruises that pass the site. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. ARLHS USA-608; USCG 7-21310.

Plum Island Range Rear Light, Plum Island, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dan
Pilot Island (Porte des Morts Island)
1858. Active; focal plane 48 ft (14.5 m); 2 white flashes every 6 s. 41 ft (12.5 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story brick keeper's house; solar-powered 300 mm lens. Building is unpainted stone; lantern is painted black. Enlarged in 1904, the building was originally very similar to the Pottawatomie Light. The 1-1/2 story brick fog signal building (1904) is unroofed and in ruins. Anderson's page has several views from the lake, Lighthouse Digest has an October 2003 feature on Pilot Island and Plum Island Lights, the Door County Maritime Museum has the history of the station, and Bing has a satellite view. A new group, Death's Door Watchstanders, was formed to work for preservation of the Plum Island and Pilot Island lights; reorganized in 2007, this group is now called Friends of Pilot and Plum Islands. The site is currently abandoned, overgrown, and overrun by a large population of cormorants. Jack Eckert, a former crew member at the light station, has posted his memoir of life there in 1955. In October 2007, ownership was finally transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service. Volunteers rushed to carry out emergency repairs to the roof of the lighthouse before the onset of winter weather. Located on a tiny island in the Porte des Morts (Death's Door) Passage between Washington Island and the mainland of the peninsula. The island is closed to the public, but the lighthouse is visible (distantly) from the Northport-Washington Island ferry. Shoreline Resort, at Ellison Bay, offers sightseeing cruises that pass the site. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. ARLHS USA-600; USCG 7-21325.

Lake Michigan Lighthouses

Eastern Door County Lighthouses
**** Cana Island
1870. Active; focal plane 89 ft (27 m); continuous white light. 81 ft (24.5 m) round tower with lantern and gallery, built of brick but encased in steel since 1902, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. The original 3rd order Fresnel lens is still in use. Lighthouse is white; lantern roof is black. The keeper's house is a museum staffed by the Door County Maritime Museum. C.W. Bash's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page for the lighthouse, Britten has good photos, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Bing has a satellite view. In November 2004 the Bureau of Land Management announced that Door County would receive ownership of the island as a park, and the transfer was completed in 2007. Neighbors were worried about traffic to the site, and parking continues to be very limited. In 2012-13, the museum raised $2.6 million for a major restoration of the lighthouse. This work will begin in 2014. Located on a tiny island connected by a low causeway to the mainland, at the end of Cana Island Road off county route Q about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Baileys Harbor. Site open, keeper's house, oil house, and tower open daily mid May to late October (small admission fee). Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Door County Maritime Museum. ARLHS USA-104; USCG 7-21255.
Baileys Harbor
1853 (Alison Sweet). Inactive since 1869. 52 ft (16 m) round rubblestone tower with a rare birdcage lantern, attached to 1-1/2 story rubblestone keeper's house. Bear Huelman has a good photo, Anderson has a good page with several photos, Schultheiss has posted a photo by Dave Wobser, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house, used as a private residence, is in good condition, but the tower is endangered by decay; the lantern is no longer supported and may fall at any time. The lighthouse was added to the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List in June 2001. Located on privately-owned Lighthouse Island; there is a distant view from the end of Ridges Road. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-026.
* Baileys Harbor Range Front (1)
1870. Inactive since 1969 (a decorative light is sometimes displayed). 21 ft (6.5 m) octagonal cylindrical wood tower on a square base. Lighthouse painted white, roof black. The Ridges Sanctuary has a page for the two range lighthouses, Bear Huelman has a closeup photo, Anderson has a page with a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This light and the rear range light are siblings of the lights at Presque Isle Range, Michigan (see the Eastern Lower Peninsula page). A wooden boardwalk joins the front and rear lights. The range was replaced by an active directional light (focal plane 31 ft (9.5 m), white flash every 2.5 s, intensified on the range line) on a short skeletal tower in front of the historic tower. Located on Ridges Road on the north side of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Door County. Site manager: Ridges Sanctuary. ARLHS USA-936; USCG 7-21230.
Cana Island Light
Cana Island Light, Baileys Harbor, June 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
* Baileys Harbor Range Rear
1870. Inactive since 1969 (a decorative light is sometimes displayed). 35 ft (10.5 m): square cupola-style lantern mounted on the roof of 1-1/2 story wood keepers house. 5th order Fresnel lens (1902) still mounted in lantern. Lighthouse painted white; roofs are red. Jim Frazier has a photo, a September 2007 closeup photo is available, Anderson has a page with a photo, the history of the light station has been posted by Door County Maritime Museum, Google has a street view through trees, and Bing has a satellite view. This light and the front range light are siblings of the lights at Presque Isle Range, Michigan (see the Eastern Lower Peninsula page). A wooden boardwalk joins the two lights. The building is leased as a summer residence. Located off Ridges Road on the north side of the harbor. Site and tower closed, but it is possible to photograph the lighthouse from the front gate. Owner: Door County. Site manager: Ridges Sanctuary. ARLHS USA-027.
* Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead (2)
1903 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 40 ft (12 m); red flash every 2.5 s. 39 ft (12 m) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, attached to 1-1/2 story steel fog signal building. The 6th order Fresnel lens (1881) was recently replaced by a modern 300 mm lens. The entire lighthouse is painted bright red. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s) as needed. A photo is at right, Anderson has a good page with several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Built in the 1880s, the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal connects the main part of Lake Michigan to Green Bay, cutting through the narrowest part of the Door Peninsula. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the canal entrance. Accessible in good weather by walking the pier from the Coast Guard station at the foot of Utah Street. Views from adjacent Portage Park. Site open and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-822; USCG 7-21005.
* Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal (Canal Station)
1899 (steel bracing added in 1903). Active; focal plane 107 ft (32.5 m); red flash every 10 s. 98 ft (30 m) round, narrowly cylindrical steel tower with hexagonal pyramidal steel bracing, lantern and gallery; 3rd order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Sibling of Devils Island Light (see above), but with somewhat different bracing. Two 2-1/2 story wood keeper's house buildings. Active Coast Guard station. A winter closeup and a wider view are available, Anderson has an excellent page for the lighthouse, Marinas.com has aerial photos, the history of the light station has been posted by the Door County Maritime Museum, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Canal Road on the north side of the canal entrance. Site open, tower usually closed but open during the Door County Lighthouse Walk in late May. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-821; USCG 7-20995.

Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Light, Sturgeon Bay, August 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by SpringChick

Kewaunee County Lighthouses
Algoma Pierhead (2)
1932 (rebuilt and raised 1908 tower; station established 1893). Active; focal plane 48 ft (14.5 m); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 42 ft (12.5 m) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, 5th order Fresnel lens (1895). The entire lighthouse is painted bright red. Fog horn (blast every 10 s) as needed. Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse, a good closeup photo is available, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse replaced an 1893 tower in 1908. After an inferior repainting in 2011, the lighthouse faded within a few weeks to a pale pink; Joe Grant has an August 2013 photo. After numerous complaints the Coast Guard announced in September 2013 it would remove all paint and repaint the tower in a proper red. In May 2014 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA. City officials submitted a proposal for ownership, as did an unnamed non-profit group. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the Ahnapee River entrance, off WI 42 in downtown Algoma. Good view from the foot of Lake Street on the south side of the river. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-004; USCG 7-29075.
* Kewaunee Pierhead (2)
1931 (light added to 1891 fog signal building). Active; focal plane 45 ft (13.5 m); continuous white light. 43 ft (13 m) square cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story steel fog signal building. Lantern room and original 5th order Fresnel lens transferred from 1891 tower. Lighthouse painted white with black trim; lantern roof is red. Fog horn (blast every 30 s) as needed. The diaphone fog signal formerly used here was restored (1995) and is in use at the Duluth (MN) South Breakwater Outer Light. Bear Huelman has a good photo, Anderson's page has several photos, Dave Olson has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA, and in September 2010 the National Park Service approved the City of Kewaunee's application for ownership. Located at the end of the breakwater on the south side of the Kewaunee River Entrance, three blocks east of the WI 29/WI 42 intersection in downtown Kewaunee. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1250; USCG 7-20955.

Manitowoc County Lighthouses
* Rawley Point (Twin Rivers Point) (1)
1874. Inactive since 1894. Round brick tower, now capped by a conical roof and incorporated into the keeper's house for the 1894 lighthouse.
* Rawley Point (Twin Rivers Point) (2)
1894. Active; focal plane 113 ft (33.5 m); white flash every 15 s. 111 ft (33 m) octagonal pyramidal steel tower with central cylinder, lantern and gallery; twin DCB-36 aerobeacons. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. 2-1/2 story brick keeper's house, used as a vacation cottage for Coast Guard personnel, attached to the truncated 1874 lighthouse. 1-1/2 story wood fog signal building. Pete Markham's photo is at right, Bear Huelman has an excellent photo, Anderson has an excellent page for the lighthouse, Lighthouse Digest has an article on the history of the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. The tower incorporates the skeletal section of the 1859 Chicago North Pier lighthouse. Only two other lighthouses of this robust design survive (Cape Charles, Virginia, and Hillsboro Inlet, Florida). Accessible by road; parking provided. Located in Point Beach State Forest off County Road O about 5 mi (8 km) northeast of Two Rivers. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-689; USCG 7-20935.
** Two Rivers
1886 (rebuilt in 1928). Inactive since 1969. 36 ft (11 m) square pyramidal wood tower, the upper portion enclosed, with lantern and gallery. No keeper's house; the light was tended by the Rawley Point keepers. Lighthouse painted red with a white lantern. Anderson's page has good photos, Michael Matusinec has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is the only example of a wood pierhead light surviving on the U.S. upper Great Lakes. Formerly located at the end of the harbor breakwater (the Coast Guard has a historic photo), this little lighthouse was relocated in 1975 by the Two Rivers Historical Society as part of the Rogers Street Fishing Village. The wide lower gallery and staircase were added in 1988 to permit public access. In 2003, the exterior of the lighthouse was restored, and there are plans to restore the interior. Located at 2413 Jackson Street, just south of WI 42 on the east bank of the East Twin River in Twin Rivers. Site open (small admission fee to the Fishing Village), tower open to tours May through October. Owner/site manager: Rogers Street Fishing Village. ARLHS USA-862.
Rawley Point Light
Rawley Point Light, Two Rivers, April 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Pete Markham
* Manitowoc Breakwater (2)
1918 (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 52 ft (16 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 40 ft (12 m) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a 2-story square steel keeper's quarters. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Cast iron fog signal building (1895); fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). Eli Duke's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page with several photos, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view from across the harbor. In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA. The Maritime Museum initially expressed interest in acquiring it, but later decided against doing so. In 2010, the Coast Guard announced that due to repeated painting of graffiti on the building it might be necessary to close off public access. Late in 2010, the lighthouse was offered at auction, and in January 2011 it was sold for $30,000 to Philip Carlucci of Melville, New York. In June 2014 another instance of vandalism cause city officials to close the pier at least temporarily. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the harbor, at the end of Maritime Drive. Parking available at the marina nearby. May be accessible by walking the breakwater, if it is reopened. There's also a fine view from the ferry SS Badger, which crosses Lake Michigan between Manitowoc and Ludington, Michigan; Duke's photo was taken from the ferry. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-471; USCG 7-20860.

Sheboygan County Lighthouses
* [Sheboygan North Point (2)]
1860 (station established 1839). Inactive since 1904. Originally a schoolhouse-style lighthouse with a square light tower at the front of the roof of the keeper's house. In 1916 the house was relocated as a private residence to Lighthouse Court, between North First and Second Streets, in Sheboygan. Anderson has a photo of the house at its present location, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Site and tower closed, but presumably the house can be viewed from the street. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-1242.

Manitowoc Breakwater Light, Manitowoc, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Eli Duke
* Sheboygan Breakwater (2)
1905 (relocated to present site in 1915) (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 55 ft (17 m); continuous red light. 50 ft (15 m) round steel tower, painted bright red, incorporating a fog signal and surmounted by a navigation beacon; lantern removed. Fog horn (blast every 30 s) as needed. The tower also carries an array of weather instruments as a NOAA National Data Buoy Center C-MAN station. Michael Matusinec has a fine photo, Anderson has a page with several good photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was originally on the North Pier as the third light at that site (station established 1873); it was relocated when the breakwater was completed in 1915. Sibling of Kenosha Pierhead Light. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the harbor. Accessible in good weather by walking the breakwater from Deland Park in downtown Sheboygan. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-752; USCG 7-20820.

Ozaukee County Lighthouses
**** Port Washington Main (2)
1860 (station established 1849). Inactive since 1903 (the building continued in use as a Coast Guard station until 1992). Square cylindrical wood light tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-1/2 story brick keeper's house. The light tower was removed in 1934 and rebuilt in 2002. The lighthouse is unpainted but with a bright red roof; the light tower is white with a black lantern. Ken Sodemann's photo is at right, Anderson has a page for the lighthouse, the Coast Guard has a historic photo showing the original tower, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Restoration of the building began in 2000, when the goverment of Luxembourg offered to build a replacement light tower and lantern to honor Luxembourg citizens who emigrated to Port Washington and American servicemen who liberated Luxembourg in World War II. Lighthouse Digest reported on these efforts in March 2001. The new tower was dedicated on 16 June 2002. The 150th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in 2010. The building is a maritime and lighthouse museum, with a resident keeper who lives upstairs. Located at Johnson and Power Streets in downtown Port Washington. Site open, museum open May through October (admission fee; group tours can be arranged during the winter). Owner: City of Port Washington. Site manager: Port Washington Historical Society. ARLHS USA-652.
Port Washington Breakwater (2)
1935 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 78 ft (24 m); red flash every 6 s. 58 ft (18 m) round cylindrical steel tower with gallery, mounted on a raised concrete platform at the end of the breakwater; lantern removed. Entire lighthouse painted white. Original 2-1/2 story brick keeper's house onshore (next entry). Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). Anderson's page has excellent photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Built as one of only two maritime projects of the Works Project Administration (WPA), the lighthouse replaced an 1889 wooden tower. Access to the lighthouse has been closed due to unsafe conditions on the breakwater, but in March 2014 the Corps of Engineers announced a $950,000 project to repair the pier and restore access. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the harbor. Accessible in good weather by walking the pier. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-653; USCG 7-20770.

Port Washington Light, Port Washington, October 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ken Sodemann
Kevich
1981. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 163 ft (49.5 m); white light, 4 s on, 4 s off. 50 ft (15 m) round stucco-clad tower with lantern and gallery, adjoining residence. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. A closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Privately built by the Kevich family, this lighthouse has the highest focal plane of any active U.S. Great Lakes lighthouse except the Boyer Bluff Light (above). Located atop a high bluff at 1271 Lakeshore Road, a short distance north of Ulao Road, in the town of Grafton, about 4 miles (6.5 km) south of Port Washington. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-1066; USCG 7-20765.

Milwaukee County Lighthouses
**** North Point (Milwaukee) (2)
1888 (raised onto steel foundation in 1913; station established 1855). Inactive since 1994. 74 ft (23 m) octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on steel foundation, original 4th order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Original 2-1/2 story wood keeper's house (1855) now in use as a maritime museum. John Skodak's photo is at right, Terry Pepper has a page with many photos and historical information, Anderson has a fine page with photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good satellite view. The North Point Lighthouse Friends organization was formed in 2002 to work for restoration of the site. The group was awarded a $984,000 grant in 2002. Restoration began in 2004 and was completed in November 2007, allowing the lighthouse to be opened to visitors. A July 2007 photo shows work in progress on the keeper's house, and a November photo shows the completed project. Located on Wahl Street at Terrace Street, just off WI 32, in Milwaukee's Lake Park. Site open, museum and tower open Saturday and Sunday afternoons year round. Owner: Milwaukee County Parks; site manager: North Point Lighthouse Friends. ARLHS USA-556.
Milwaukee Breakwater
1926. Active; focal plane 61 ft (18.5 m); red flash every 10 s. 56 ft (17 m) square cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story steel art deco keeper's quarters. The original 4th order Fresnel lens (1906, transferred from the pierhead light) is on display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. The lighthouse is floodlighted throughout the night. Fog horn (2 blasts every 20 s) when needed. Anderson's page has photos, Google has a satellite view and a street view of the breakwater and pierhead lighthouses, and Lighthouse Digest has a historical account of life at the light station. In 2011 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA, and in 2013 it was transferred to Optima Enrichment, a local foundation. The foundation plans to restore the lighthouse and open it to the public; it estimates that $2.5 million will be required for the restoration. A support group, the Milwaukee Breakwater Lighthouse Friends, has been formed. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the harbor. Accessible only by boat (breakwater not connected to shore). Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Optima Enrichment. ARLHS USA-497; USCG 7-20635.
* Milwaukee Pierhead (2)
1906 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 45 ft (13.5 m); red flash every 4 s. 42 ft (12.5 m) round steel tower with lantern and gallery. The original 4th order Fresnel lens was transferred to Milwaukee Breakwater Light in 1926 and is now on display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc. The 5th order Fresnel lens installed in 1926 was removed in 2005; its whereabouts is unknown. Tower painted red, lantern black. An August 2008 photo shows that the tower had been painted recently. Anderson has a good page with several photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good satellite view and a street view of the breakwater and pierhead lighthouses. Sibling of Kenosha Pierhead Light. In May 2014 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA. Located at the end of the short pier at the foot of Erie Street in downtown Milwaukee, where parking is available. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-498; USCG 7-20670.
North Point Light
North Point Light, Milwaukee, March 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by John Skodak

Racine County Lighthouses
** Wind Point
1880 (O.M. Poe). Active; focal plane 111 ft (34 m); white flash every 20 s. 108 ft (33 m) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, VRB-25 lens. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. The 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house is occupied by resident caretakers, but part of the building is used as a town meeting hall. The original 3rd order Fresnel lens is on display. Brick fog signal building (1900) including the twin diaphone horns. Dawn Perry's photo is at right, Anderson's page has good photos, Pepper has a fine page for the lighthouse, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. A fund drive was launched in 1999 by Friends of Wind Point Lighthouse to provide for renovation of the tower. A project in 2000 restored the exterior of the lantern and provided landscaping improvements. In May 2007, the Jeld-Wen Company announced that the lighthouse would receive new windows and doors as the co-winner of a national competition. Also in 2007, the DCB-24R aerobeacon failed and was replaced by a VRB-25 lens; this has led to complaints that the light is too dim. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road in Wind Point, about 3 miles (5 km) north of Racine. Site open, tower usually closed but open houses are held on the first Sunday of each month June through October. Owner/site manager: Village of Wind Point. ARLHS USA-894; USCG 7-20605.
Racine Harbor (Root River) (2)
1865 (station established 1839). Inactive since 1901. Square cylindrical wood tower on 2-1/2 story wood keeper's house; the lantern has been replaced by an ordinary shingled roof. Anderson has a page with photos, including two showing the old lighthouse, the Racine Lifesaving Station, and a storm warning tower. Google has a satellite view and a street view of the rear of the building. The building was renovated for use as the Racine Harbor Lifesaving Station in 1903, and it continued in use for many years as part of the Racine Coast Guard Station. After the station was closed, the building was sold; it is now part of a marina complex. Located at 2 Reichert Court at the harbor entrance in Racine. Site open, tower. Owner/site manager: Pugh Marina. ARLHS USA-683.
Racine North Breakwater (2)
1901 (relocated here in 1916 (?); station established 1900). Inactive since 1987. 46 ft (14 m) square steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery; lantern room and upper portion of tower enclosed. Entire lighthouse painted red. A closeup photo is available, Anderson has a page with good photos, and Google has a satellite view. This tower was originally built as the Racine North Pierhead Light; there is some uncertainty as to when it was moved to the breakwater. Floodlit at night, the lighthouse serves as an ornament of the city's waterfront park. Originally mounted on a crib, now located on a rip rap breakwater on the north side of the harbor entrance, adjacent to the Coast Guard station. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Racine. ARLHS USA-682.

Wind Point Light, Wind Point, September 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dawn Perry
Racine Reef (4)
2008 (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); white flash every 6 s. 50 ft (15 m) square skeletal tower. Lighthouse painted white. Fog horn (blast every 15 s) operating continuously April through November. No photo available, and the light is only a blur in Bing's satellite view. This light is the current replacement for a beautifully ornate late Victorian lighthouse built in 1906 and demolished in 1961; the Coast Guard has a historic photo of that lighthouse, and Huelse has a postcard view. Pepper has a closeup photo of the 1961 light, a red skeletal tower with an enclosed workroom. Located on a shoal about 1 mile (1.5 km) off Pershing Park in downtown Racine. In 2011 the Coast Guard rebuilt the foundation of the light; the tower was removed, refurbished, and returned. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-684; USCG 7-20480.

Kenosha County Lighthouses
*** Kenosha (Southport) (3)
1866 (station established 1848). Inactive as an official light since 1906, when it was replaced by the pierhead light (below); an unofficial beacon has been displayed since 1996. 300 mm lens. 52 ft (16 m) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to 2-story brick keeper's house; 300 mm lens. The lantern is a replica (1994); the original lantern was removed in 1913. Lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted black. The keeper's house remained in service to about 1940. Tom Gill's photo is at right, Terry Pepper's page has excellent information and photos, Anderson's page has good photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. In 1989, a Lighthouse Presevation Committee was formed to coordinate restoration efforts with the City of Kenosha and the Kenosha History Center. By 1994 funds were available to replace the lantern room, and restoration of the tower has continued. The keeper's house was purchased from its private owners, and restoration of that building began in 2005. Lighthouse Digest has an article on the restoration, which was still in progress in late 2007. The first floor of the house was opened as a museum in May 2010. Located on Simmons Island Road north of the harbor entrance in Kenosha. Site open, museum open daily execpt Mondays and holidays, tower open to guided tours Saturdays and Sundays mid May through October. adjacent Kenosha History Center available daily except Mondays and holidays. Owner: City of Kenosha. Site manager: Kenosha History Center. ARLHS USA-912.
* [Kenosha Breakwater (3)]
Date unknown (1960s) (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); red flash every 4 s. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical "D9" tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. Luiz Felipe de Castro has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse here was an octagonal tower with a pyramidal base, covered with corrugated iron. Pepper has a postcard view of this very unusual lighthouse, and it can be seen also in Huelse's postcard view of the pierhead lighthouse. It was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1921, and then by the D9 tower in the 1960s. Located at the end of a detached breakwater about 200 m (650 ft) east of the pierhead lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. USCG 7-20430.

Southport Light, Kenosha, February 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Tom Gill
* Kenosha South Pierhead (3)
1906 (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 50 ft (15 m) round steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted at the end of the pier; 250 mm lens. Tower painted bright red, lantern and gallery black. Originally attached to a steel fog signal building, which has been removed. Fog horn (blast every 30 s). Keepers lived at the Southport light (previous entry). Anderson's page has good photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This lighthouse is a sibling of the Muskegon South Pierhead Light in Michigan. The original lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in 1860; a second lighthouse was built in 1867. In late 2010, the General Services Administration offered the lighthouse for sale at auction, but no acceptable bids were received. Located at the end of the pier on the north side of the harbor, at the south end of Simmons Island. Parking available onshore. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-416; USCG 7-20415.

Fox River and Lake Winnebago Lighthouses

Note: Lake Winnebago is about 30 mi (19 km) long and 10 mi (16 km) wide. The lake empties into Green Bay through the lower Fox River. In the late 1800s, a string of 16 locks made the river navigable, but these locks fell into disuse for many years. In 2004, the state established the Fox River Navigational System Authority to restore and operate the locks; as of 2012 the authority is midway in a long-term project to put the locks back into operation. Aids to navigation on the river and on Lake Winnebago are regulated by the State of Wisconsin and inspected by the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Outagamie County (Fox River) Lighthouse
* Appleton Yacht Club
2012. Active; focal plane about 36 ft (11 m); flashing white light. 35 ft (10.5 m) round tower with lantern attached to one end of a clubhouse building. Entire lighthouse is white. Construction of the lighthouse was part of a $500,000 project to expand club facilities in response to increased recreational use of the river. Joel Witmeyer has a winter photo, the lighthouse is seen in the YouTube video of a local newscast, and Google has a street view and a satellite view of the club and lighthouse. Located off South Lutz Drive on the north side of the Fox River in Appleton. Site open, tower status unknown.

Winnebago County Lighthouses
* Neenah (Kimberly Point)
1945. Active (maintained by City of Neenah); focal plane 50 ft (15 m); white flash every 4.5 s. 49 ft (15 m) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating public restrooms in the base. Tower painted white; lantern roof is black. A photo is at right, Anderson's page also has good photos, Lauro Maia has a closeup, Nate Graham has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Funds to build the lighthouse were contributed by J. C. Kimberly, of the Kimberly-Clark Company. Originally 40 ft (12 m) tall, the lighthouse was increased in height in 1954 by the addition of a wood story above the brick. In June 2012, the building was recognized as a state historic site. Located in Kimberly Point Park on Lakeshore Drive at the south side of the entrance from Lake Winnebago into the Fox River. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Neenah. ARLHS USA-1070.
* [Asylum Point]
1937. Never active. 30 ft (9 m) unpainted round stone tower with lantern. J. Eggersdorfer has a 2013 photo, Lori Hennes has a winter 2012 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built by the U.S. Works Progress Administration (WPA), but the state rejected it as an aid to navigation and it was never activated. In 2007, the county restored the lighthouse inside and out, with new windows and a new roof. Located at Asylum Point north of Oshkosh; accessible the from park entrance at Snell and Sherman Roads. Owner: Winnebago County. Site manager: Asylum Point Park. ARLHS USA-979.
* Bray's Point (Rockwell)
1909 (William Bray). Active (privately maintained); focal plane about 49 ft (15 m); continuous red light. 42 ft (13 m) octagonal cylindrical brick tower with an ornate open iron lantern. Lighthouse is unpainted cream-colored brick with white stone trim; lantern is greenish weathered iron. Anderson has a page with photos, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This light is not charted as an official aid to navigation. It is called the Rockwell lighthouse after its architect, George Andrews Rockwell. The lighthouse was deactivated in the 1950s and fell into disrepair; it was restored and reactivated by new owners in 1986. Located on Bray's Point, at the corner of Lake and Bayshore Streets on the north side of the mouth of the Fox River, near downtown Oshkosh. Site and tower closed, but lighthouse can be photographed from the street nearby. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-1255.

Fond du Lac County Lighthouses
** Fond du Lac (Lakeside Park)
1933 (Roger Sutherland). Active (maintained by City of Fond du Lac); focal plane about 60 ft (18 m); flashing red light. 56 ft (17 m) octagonal wood tower with gallery, painted white, mounted on an octagonal stone foundation; open lantern-like structure at the top; flashing red light mounted on top of the faux lantern. Tower painted white, lantern roof black. Celtic Graphics has a closeup photo, a 2009 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was restored in 1968. Located on the west side of the marina entrance in Lakeside Park at the end of Promen Drive in Fond du Lac. Site open, tower open to self-guided tours in season. Owner/site manager: City of Fond du Lac. ARLHS USA-925.
Neenah Light
Neenah Light, Neenah, November 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Royalbroil
* [Fisherman's Road Fishing Club]
Date unknown. Active(?). Approx. 25 ft (7.5 m) round hourglass-shaped steel tower, painted white. J. Eggersdorfer has a 2013 photo, and Google has a satellite view. This tower is of a type used for pierhead lights on the Great Lakes. Its original location is not known. For a number of years it stood beside the Columbia Park tower (next entry). In or about 2001 it was relocated about 3 miles (5 km) south to the Fisherman's Road Fishing Club, which has restored and repainted the tower, adding the club logo. The Shanklins have a photo of the hourglass tower when it was at Columbia Park. Located on the south pier of the marina at the end of Fisherman's Road, west of Kiel. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Fisherman's Road Fishing Club.
** Columbia Park (Calumet Harbor, Pipe)
1936. Active (maintained by Fond du Lac County); focal plane about 75 ft (23 m); white flash every 6 s. 70 ft (21 m) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted brown with white trim. J. Eggersdorfer has a 2013 closeup, Paul Polter has a view from the lake, and Google has a satellite view. Originally the water tower of the Fond du Lac Table Factory, the skeletal tower was moved to this site in 1936 by the U.S. Works Project Administration as an observation tower and aid to navigation. It was restored in 1992, at a cost of $98,000, by the Columbia Park Tower Fund and Fond du Lac County. Located at Calumet Harbor on the southeastern shore of Lake Winnebago about 10 miles (15 km) northeast of Fond du Lac and at the end of County Road W in Pipe. Site and tower open. Owner/site manager: Fond du Lac County (Columbia Park).

Lake Mendota Lighthouse

Dane County Lighthouse
* Tenney Park Lock
1959. Active; focal plane about 45 ft (14 m); flashing light, alternately red and white. 40 ft (12 m) round steel tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red band under the lantern. Amanda Werhane has a 2009 photo, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Madison, the capital city of Wisconsin, is built around Lakes Mendota and Monona, with the state government buildings being on the isthmus between the two lakes. A lock at Tenney Park, on the south shore of Lake Mendota, allows boats to pass from one lake to the other through a short section of the Yahara River. The lighthouse is located on the west side of the entrance to the lock from Lake Mendota. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Dane County Parks.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Eastern Upper Michigan | South: Illinois

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Checked and revised February 19, 2014. Lighthouses: 47. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.