INLS 200-001: Retrieving & Analyzing Information
[Syllabus] [Schedule] [Reading] [Blackboard]
[Research Question] [Source Evaluation] [Annotated Bibliography] [Final Portfolio]
This assignment requires you to develop strategies to retrieve information, evaluate the information retrieved, and use that information to respond to a question. The annotated bibliography is different from the source evaluation assignment in that this assignment includes a short version of the evaluation, plus your reflection on the lessons that you learned from the sources.
For this assignment, you need to create 2 entries for sources. These sources may be books, journal or magazine or newspaper articles, webpages, videotapes, whatever... in other words, the sources from which you are getting the content that you are using to answer your research question. These sources should not be databases, websites, etc... in other words, not the places where you found these sources.
See the Annotated Bibliography Entry Directions files on Blackboard for more detailed instruction to how to write the annotation.
This annotated bibliography assignment is a practice for your final annotated bibliography, which will be included in your final report. The instructor will give you feedback on your annotated bibliography. You need to revise your annotated bibliography based on the feedback, and apply them to write the annotated bibliography of other sources.
Organization of the Annotated Bibliography of Each Source
1. Full APA Citation: This citation must be in APA format. If you are not familiar with this format, you should locate a style guide. The following link might also be helpful: http://www.lib.unc.edu/instruct/citations/apa/index.html
2. Brief summary & critical analysis of content: How does the source help you answer your research question? What specific information did you locate that will help you answer your research question? How does this information fit with the other information you¨ve found? How does it redefine what you know about your topic? How does it impact what you still need to find out?
3. Evaluation of source using criteria & rationale for selection: Select 3-7 evaluation criteria from the lists provided that are appropriate for evaluating your source. List each criterion that you use to evaluate the source. Then describe what you looked for as hallmarks of that criterion and give examples from the source that show the strengths and weaknesses of the source. Finally, be sure to explain why your source is or is not acceptable for use based on the evaluation criteria. Why did you believe that the source would be useful? Why did you choose it over other sources? Be sure to include detailed descriptions of at least other two sources that were considered, but not selected, and provide convincing explanation of why the selected source was chosen instead.
4. Reflection: What did you learn about retrieving and analyzing information from your search and evaluation of this source? How can you apply what you learned in the future?
Web sites that may help you in writing your annotated bibliographies:
Use the Annotated Bibliography Entry Directions file on Blackboard for the entry template.
Criteria Used to Evaluate This Assignment (Total: 10)
1. Full APA Citation: 2 points
ü Source citation was provided and was accurately formatted according to APA style guides.
2. Brief summary & critical analysis of content: 3 points
ü The summary and analysis provided detailed description of the contribution the source made to the answering of the research question.
ü The summary and analysis provided specific information that directly answers the question.
ü The summary and analysis provided how that information fits into prior knowledge.
3. Evaluation of source using criteria & rationale for selection: 3 points
ü A variety of criteria were used and they matched the source type accurately.
ü The evaluation showed careful selection of criteria to bring strengths and weaknesses of the source into focus.
ü The evaluation provided convincing explanation of why the selected source was chosen.
4. Reflection: 2 points
ü The reflection provided detailed and specific examples of lessons learned through retrieving and analyzing this source.
Due dates of the annotated bibliography is November 12, 2008. 2 entries need to be combined as one file. Submit the electronic file (file name example: "Sanghee Oh_Annotated Bibliography.doc") by 5:00pm on the due date.