Lolly Gasaway Spring 2006
SYLLABUS SCHEDULE AND READINGS THOUGHT QUESTIONS FOR READINGS DISCUSSION LIST ANNOUNCEMENTS ADDITIONAL MATERIALS
Office: Kathrine R. Everett Law Library, Room 3030
Class Location: Law Library 3025
Text Books: Arthur R. Miller ? Michael H. Davis, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
PATENTS, TRADEMARKS ? COPYRIGHT (3d. ed., 2000)
Additional material on the web
1. To understand and appreciate the role copyright law plays in the cultural and
intellectual life of individuals;
2. To develop an appreciation of and understand how basic copyright principles,
the statute and major cases in areas affecting libraries and education;
3. To analyze how copyright protection has changed with technological developments,
especially in the digital environment;
4. To highlight the concerns of the creators, publishers and distributors of
5. To focus on how libraries and their users are affected by copyright law; and
6. To identify copyright trends that likely will affect libraries in the future.
1. Examination -- both a midterm and a final exam
2. Various presentations to the class, working in groups, etc.
1. Participate in out of class discussions, post news items and answer questions.
2. Extra points may be earned for excellent postings on the discussion list.