of Statistics and Operations Research
of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: 322 Hanes Hall, UNC
Telephone: (919) 962-3837
FAX: (919) 962-1279
Mailing Address: 322 Hanes Hall,
CB 3260, UNC,
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3180
Computer Performance Models, Internet
Cogestion Models for Telecommunications
Systems, Stochastic Models for Supply Chain Management,
Queueing Systems, Fluid Models,
Testing and Manufacturing Operations at IBM PC
Manufacturing Plant, May 15, 1999 to May 14, 2001.
Fluid-Flow Models for Control of Communication Networks,
Sept 1, 1994 to Aug
31, 1997, National Science Foundation.
Warranty and Repair Services, Aug 15, 2002 to Jan 31, 2004,
Reserves for Non-stationary Sales Processes, with Shau-shiang Ja, Amit Mitra, and Jayprakash
Patankar, NRLQ, 49, No. 5, 499-513, 2002.
Differential Equation for TCP Window Size: Analysis and Experimental
Validation, with A. Budhiraja, F. Hern\'andez-Campos,and F. D.
Smith, PEIS, 17, 251-265, 2003.
Queue with Markov-Dependent Inter-arrival and Service Times,
with I. Adan, QUESTA, 45, No. 2, 113-134, 2003
Analysis of Multi-Class Fluid Queues: FCFS Service, with K. D.
Glazebrook, Journal of Applied Probability, 39,
EOQ for Announced Price Increases in Infinite Horizon, with Wei
Huang, and Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, Operations Research, 51, No. 2, 331-336, 2003.
Recent PhD Students
- Jianzhe Luo, Queueing Models for Health care, expected 2011.
- Nomesh Bolia, Scheduling Algorithms for Wireless Networks, 2009
- Nan Liu, Appointment Scheduling in Health Care, 2009
- Liqiang Liu, Stochastic models of balking in call centers, 2007.
- Keqi Yan, EOQ analysis in systems with stochastic
production and demands, 2006.
- Feng Chen, Admission control and routing in multi-priority
- Wei Huang, Managing warranty services: pricing, inventory
and outsourcing, 2005
- Pete Buczkowski, Managing warranties : funding a warranty
reserve and outsourcing prioritized warranty repairs, 2004
- Michelle Opp, Outsourcing warranty repair services : static
and dynamic allocation for a fixed population, 2003
- Elena Tzenova, An analytic approach to multi-class
stochastic fluid models with static priorities, 2003.
- Yasutaka Hirasawa, Approximating traffic parameters in
multi-class fluid networks, 2000.
STOR 215: Introduction to Decision Sciences
STOR 415: Stochastic Models in OR
Stochastic Models In Operations Research: I
Stochastic Models in Operations Research: II
(Graduate Course) Spring 2001
Supply Chain Management
(Special Topics Course)
Stochastic Models in
(Special Topics Course)
OR Student Seminar
a collection of MATLAB
programs to accompany the Undergraduate textbook.
a graphical user
interface to access the above files.
- Traffic Management in Packet
Communications Networks, 1995,
US Patent No. 5,434,848.
Prof. Vidyadhar Kulkarni received a B.Tech.
from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, in Mechanical
Engineering in 1976, and an MS and Ph.D. in Operations Research from
Cornell University in 1980. He was a Visiting Assistant Professor in
the College of Management, Georgia Institute of Technology in
1980-81. He has been at the University of North Carolina since
1981. Currently he is the chairman of the department of Statistics
and Operations Research. His areas of interest are stochastic
models. He is the author of two textbooks on this topic.
Vitae (in pdf)