Publications of V G Kulkarni
Area 1: Stochastic Processes: Theory.
- A fluctuation theory for Markov chains, with N.U. Prabhu,
Stochastic Processes and Their Applications, 16, 39-54, 1983.
- Limiting distributions of functionals of Markov chains, with R.L.Karandikar,
Stochastic Processes and Their Applications, 19, 225-235, 1985.
- Some limit theorems for cumulative processes with applications to sojourn times,
Operations Research Letters, 6, 83-90,1986.
- A new class of multivariate phase type distributions,
Operations Research, 37, 151-158, 1989.
- Convergence of moments of Markov chains and semiMarkov processes,
with R.L. Karandikar, Probability, Statistics and Design of Experiments,
R.R. Bahadiny (eds), Wiley Eastern, New Delhi, 453-460, 1990.
- Optimal implementable policies : discounted cost case, with Y. Serin,
Computations with Markov Chains, 283-307, ed: W. Stewart; Kluwer Academic Publications, 1995.
- Introduction to Technical Articles, (Guest Editor) QUESTA, 24, 19-22, 1997.
- Discrete Time Markov Chains, Section 7.7 in CRC Handbook on Dicrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, CRC Press, 2000.
- Queueing theory, Section 7.8 in CRC Handbook on Dicrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, CRC Press.
Area 2: Queueing Systems with Retrials.
- On queueing systems with retrials, Journal of Applied Probability, 20, 380-389, 1983.
- A game theoretical model for two types of customers competing for service, Operations Research Letters, 2, 119-122, 1983.
- Expected waiting times in multiclass batch arrival retrial queues,
Journal of Applied Probability, 23, 144-154, 1986.
- Deterministic retrial times are optimal in queues with forbidden states, with S.P. Sethi, INFOR}, 27, 374-386, 1986.
- Optimal retrial policies for restrained Markov chains, Stochastic Models, 5, 401-429, 1989.
- Retrial queues with server subject to breakdowns and repairs, with B.D. Choi, Queueing Systems, 7, 191-208, 1990.
- Feedback retrial queueing systems, with B.D. Choi, Queueing and Related Models, Chapter 5, 93-105. U.N. Bhat and I.V. Balawa (eds.), Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Monotonicity properties of retrial queues, with H.M. Liang, Stochastic Models, 9, 373-400, 1993.
- Stability condition for a single server retrial queue, with H.M. Liang, Advances in Applied Probability, 25, 690-701, 1993.
- Retrial queues revisited, with H. M. Liang, Frontiers in Queueing: Models and Applications in Science and Engineering, 19-34, Ed. J. H. Dshalalow, CRC Press, 19-34, 1997.
- Optimal Control of Retrial Queues, with H. M. Liang, Applied Probability and Stochastic Process, Eds: J. G. Shanthikumar and U. Sumita, 203-219, 1999.
Area 3: Reliability and Stochastic Networks.
- A compact hash function for paths in PERT networks, Operations Research Letters,
3, 137-140, 1984.
- An improved implementation of Monte Carlo estimation of path lengths instochastic networks,
ith J.S. Provan, Operations Research, 33, 1389-1393, 1985.
- Maximum flow in networks with exponentially distributed arc capacities, with V.G. Adlakha,
Stochastic Models, 1, 263-290, 1985.
- A recursive algorithm for the exact computation of network reliability, with M. Bailey,
IEEE Trans. on Reliability, R35, 1, 36-40, 1986.
- Markov and Markov regenerative PERT networks, with V.G. Adlakha,
Operations Research, 34, 769-781, 1986.
- Shortest paths in networks with exponentially distributed arc lengths,
Networks, 16, 255-274, 1986.
- Minimal spanning trees in undirected networks with exponentially distributed arc weights,
Networks, 18, 111-124, 1987.
- Exact cuts in networks, with J.S. Provan, Networks, 19, 281-289, 1989.
- A classified bibliography of research on stochastic PERT network, with V. G. Adlakha,
INFOR, 27, 273-290, 1989.
- Minimum cost routing on stochastic networks, with G.A. Corea,
Operations Research, 38, 527-537, 1990.
- Generating random combinatorial objects, Journal of Algorithms, 11, 185-207, 1990.
- Improving Monte Carlo efficiency by increasing variance, with G.S. Fishman,
Management Science, 38, 1432-1444, 1992.
Area 4: Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems.
Area 5: Communication Systems.
- On modeling the performance and reliability of multimode computersystems, with K.S. Trivedi
and V.F. Nicola. Journal of Systems and Software, 6, 175-182, 1986.
- Queueing analysis of a fault tolerant computer system, with V.F. Nicola and K.S. Trivedi,
IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, SE13, 3, 363-375, 1987.
- Numerical Evaluation of performability and job completion time in repairable fault-tolerant systems,
with V.F. Nicola, K.S. Trivedi and R.M.Smith. Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on FaultTolerant Computing, Vienna, Austria, 252-257, 1986.
- The completion time of a job on multimode systems, with K.S. Trivedi and V.F. Nicola,
Advances in Applied Probability, 19, 932-954, 1987.
- Effects of checkpointing and queueing on program performance, with K.S. Trivedi and V.F. Nicola,
Stochastic Models, 6, 615-648, 1990.
- Optimal scheduling of exponential tasks with intree precedence constraints on two parallel processors subject to failure and repair, with P.F. Chimento, Operations Research, 40, Supplement 2, S263-S271, 1992.
- Transient analysis of deterministic and stochastic petri nets, with H.Choi and K.S. Trivedi, 14th International Conf. on Appli. and Theory of Petri Nets, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 166-185, Chicago, 1993.
- Markov regenerative stochastic Petri Nets, with H. Choi and K.S. Trivedi, PERFORMANCE 93, International Sym. on Comp. Perf. Modeling, Measurement and Evaluation, 339-356, 1993.
- FSPNs: Fluid Stochastic Petri Nets, with K. S. Trivedi, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Application and theory of Petri Nets, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 24-31, 1993.
- Numerical computation of response time distributions using stochastic reward nets, with J. K. Muppala, K. S. Trivedi and V. Mainkar, Annals of Operations Research, 48, 155-184, 1994.
- A reader-writer queue with reader preference, with L.C. Puryear, QUESTA, 15, 81-97, 1994.
- A reader-writer queue with alternating exhaustive priorities, with L.C.Puryear, QUESTA, 19, 81-103, 1995.
- Stability and queueing-time analysis of a reader-writer queue with writer preference, with L.C. Puryear,
Interfaces in Computer Science and Operations Research: Advances in Metaheuristics, Optimization, and Stochastic Modeling Technologies, eds: Richard S. Barr, Richard V. Helgason, Jeffery L. Kennington, Kluwer, 259-279,1997 .
- Comparison of stability and queueing times in reader-writer queues, with L. C. Puryear, Journal of Performance Modeling, 30, 195-215, 1997.
- Optimal Scheduling of Reader-Writer Systems, with K. D. Glazebrook and L.C. Puryear, Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, 45, 483-495, 1998.
- Optimal Admission to Reader-Writer Systems with no Queueing, with T. Sanli, Operations Research Letters, 25, 213-218, 1999.
Area 6: Business Operations Models.
- Optimal control of two infinite server queues, with R. Hariharan and S. Stidham, Proceedings of the 29th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Hawaii, 1329-1335, 1990.
- A queueing network model for half-duplex routing in data-communication networks, with S.S. Stidham, High-Speed Communication Networks, Ed. H. Perros, Plenum Press, New York, 1992.
- Bandwidth allocation and access control in high speed networks, with L. Gun and A. Narayanan, Annals of Operations Research, 49, 161-183, 1994.
- Fluid model driven by an Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process, with T. Rolski, Probability in Engineering and Informational sciences, 8, 403-417, 1994.
- Second-order fluid flow models: reflected Brownian motion in random environment, with R.L. Karandikar, Operations Research, 43, 77-88, 1994.
- Effective bandwidth vector for two-priority ATM traffic, with L. Gun, P. Chimento, Proceedings of the INFOCOM'94, 1056-1063, 1994.
- Effective bandwidth vectors for multiclass traffic multiplexed in a partitioned buffer, with P. F. Chimento and L. Gun, Special Issue on Advances in the Fundamentals of Networking , IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 13, 1039-1047, 1995.
- Optimal flow control of a stochastic fluid flow system, with S. Rajagopal and S. Stidham, Jr., Special Issue on Advances in the Fundamentals of Networking , IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 13, 1219-1228, 1995.
- Effective bandwidth for Markov regenerative sources, QUESTA, 24, 137-154,1996.
- First Passage Times in Fluid Models With An Application to Two Priority Fluid Systems, with A. Narayanan, t Proceedings of IPDS'96, 1996.
- Leaky Buckets: Sizing and Admission Control, with N. Gautam, 785-790, Proceedings of the 35th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Kobe, Japan, 1996.
- Fluid models for single buffer systems, Frontiers in Queueing: Models and Applications in Science and Engineering, 321-338, Ed. J. H. Dshalalow, CRC Press, 1997.
- Fluid Stochastic Petri Nets: Theory, Applications and Solutions, with G. Horton, D.M.Nicol, and K.S. Trivedi, EJOR, 105, 184-201, 1998.
- Optimal Flow Control of a Multi-Class Stochastic Fluid Flow System, with S. Rajagopal, and S. Stidham, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 1997.
- Admission Control of multi-class traffic with service priorities in high-speed networks, with N. Gautam, QUESTA, 27, 79-97, 1997.
- Optimal Admission Control of Markov-Modulated Batch Arrivals to a Finite Capacity Buffer, with T. E. Tedijanto, Stochastic Models, 14, 95-122, 1998.
- Bounds for fluid models driven by semi-Markov inputs, with N. Gautam, Z. Palmowski, and T. Rolski, PEIS, 13, No. 4, 429-475, 1999.
- Applications of SMP Bounds to Multi-Class Traffic in High-Speed Networks, with N. Gautam. QUESTA, 36, 351-380, 2000.
- Mean First Passage Times in Fluid Queues, with E. Tzenova, OR Letters, 30, 308-318, 2002.
- An Upper Bound on the Overflow Probability in Transient Source System, Advances in Performance Analysis, 3, 179-206, 2002.
- Output Analysis of Multi-Class Fluid Queues: FCFS Service, with K. D. Glazebrook, Journal of Applied Probability, 39, 341-358, 2002.
- Stochastic Discretization for Long-run Average Reward in Fluid Models, with I. Adan, PEIS, 17, 251-265, 2003.
- Stochastic Differential Equation for TCP Window Size: Analysis and Experimental Validation, with A. Budhiraja, F. Hern\'andez-Campos,and F. D. Smith, PEIS, 17, 251-265, 2003.
- Single-Server Queue with Markov-Dependent Inter-arrival and Service Times, with I. Adan, QUESTA, 45, No. 2, 113-134, 2003
- Fluid Models with Jumps, with I. Adan and E. Tzenova, Stochastic Models, 21, No. 1, 37-55, 2005.
- A Non-renewable Minimal Repair Warranty Policy With Time Dependent Costs, with Shau-shiang Ja, Amit Mitra, and Jayprakash Patankar, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 50, No. 4, 346-352, 2001.
- Warranty Reserves for Non-stationary Sales Processes, with Shau-shiang Ja, Amit Mitra, and Jayprakash Patankar, NRLQ, 49, No. 5, 499-513, 2002.
- Computation of Warranty Reserves with General Sales Processes, with Shau-Shiang Ja, Unpublished Technical Report, 2002.
- Optimal EOQ for Announced Price Increases in Infinite Horizon, with Wei Huang, and Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, Operations Research, 51, No. 2, 331-336, 2003.
- Outsourcing Warranty Repairs: Static Allocation, with M. Opp and J. Swaminathan, submitted to Transactions of the IIE, 2004.
- Outsourcing Warranty Repairs: Dynamic Allocation, with M. Opp and K. Glazebrook, NRLQ, 52, No. 5, 381-398, 2005.
- Funding a Warranty Reserve with Contributions After Each Sale, with P. Buczkowski, to appear in PEIS, issue 3, 2005.
- Outsourcing Prioritized Warranty Repairs, with P. Buczkowski and M. Hartmann, to appear in International Journal of Quality and Reliablity Management, 2005.
- Admission Control in the Presence of Priorities, with F. Chen, submitted to Stochastic Models, 2005.
- EOQ Analysis under Stochastic Production and Demand Rates, with K. Yan, submitted to Journal of Applied Probability, 2005.
- Explicit Solutions for the Steady State Distributions in $M/PH/1$ Queues with Workload Dependent Balking, with L. Liu, submitted to QUESTA, 2005.
- Managing Inventory of Items with Replacement Warranty, with W. Huang and J. Swaminathan, submitted to Management Science, 2005.
- Admission Control in the Presence of Priorities: a Sample Path Approach, with F. Chen, submitted to the special volume in honor of Prof. Suresh Sethi, 2005.
- Coordinated inventory planning for new and old products under warranty, with W. Huang, and J. Swaminathan, submitted to Operations Research, 2005.
Area 7: Miscellaneous.
Optimal and suboptimal procedures for selecting the best of two Bernoulli populations, with R.V. Kulkarni, Journal of Statistical Planningand Inference, 15, 311-330.