The 20th annual Carolina Global Photography Competition will be accepting submissions beginning June 1, 2019. This amateur competition, which is open to students, alumni, faculty and staff of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, showcases Carolina’s global activity, educational opportunities, research and service work. The competition will run through September 15, 2019.
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the competition and exhibition, UNC Global is adding a thematic area about celebration, focusing on “Global Celebrations and Festivals.” Submissions for this theme should showcase special occasions around the world, from birthdays and holidays to community festivities. The competition will also highlight photography taken during first international experiences in the new “First Time Abroad” category.
Photographers may submit up to three photos for the competition. Photos can come from any world region and may have been taken at any point in time. Competition entries will be judged on artistic merit and the wider context of the photo. Judges will look specifically for photos that are visually distinctive and provide less commonly represented perspectives.
Grand prizes will be awarded to first, second and third place. Prizes include a grand prize, gift certificates to local restaurants and 20×30 poster prints.
Chancellor’s Choiceawards will be given to three photos the Chancellor finds distinctive.
FedEx Global Education Center spotlights will be selected by each Area Studies Center and departmental unit within the FedEx Global Education Center representing their mission, vision, academic focus and/or world area.
Thematic spotlights will be awarded for photos that incorporate the following themes:
Global Celebrations and Festivals
- In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Global Photography Competition, special focus will be dedicated to special occasions around the world, from birthdays and holidays to community festivities. Did you capture a particularly striking moment of a celebration or a festival? Did you participate in the celebration or were you honored to be able to respectfully observe? Please remember that some religious and cultural celebrations should not be photographed or should only be photographed after obtaining permission.
Global Perspectives Within the U.S.
- Across the U.S., there are signs of our interconnected world and multicultural societies. Global experiences within the U.S. can be found in a range of contexts, from immigrant communities to food culture to linguistic diversity. What signs of global influence in the United States do you find intriguing?
- Educational experiences can happen inside and outside the classroom, during volunteer work, field research and at any moment in our daily lives. Do you have a photograph that demonstrates a particularly illuminating learning experience?
- Movement in all forms surrounds us: people commute to work, water trickles down a waterfall, a train speeds along the tracks. Take a picture that captures movement around the world.
- Got that perfect shot of the sunset over the Zuytdorp Cliffs of Australia or a vista of the Bolivian Salt Flats? Submit your best photo that captures the breathtaking awe of nature you experienced during your travels.
A New Take on an Old Landmark
- Images of such landmarks as the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Sydney Opera House and the Gateway of India are recognizable around the world. What’s your new perspective on these historical places and how can they be seen through a “different lens”?
- Did you show Carolina pride while you were abroad? Whether you found a Carolina blue sky in Rome or wore your favorite Carolina t-shirt for your trek up Machu Picchu, photos featuring Carolina spirit around the world are welcomed.
First Time Abroad
- First global experiences profoundly impact and influence future academic paths, aspirations and careers. Was your first time abroad with your family or through a study abroad program? Or perhaps your first global experience was through an international internship? Or was visiting the U.S. your first global experience? Whether your first experience was 20 years or two weeks ago, this spotlight will showcase images captured during first global journeys.
Additional information on submission guidelines and competition rules can be found on the 2019-2020 Carolina Global Photography Competition website.
The Carolina Global Photography Competition is a collaborative effort of the following UNC Global departments and centers:
African Studies Center
Carolina Asia Center
Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies
Center for European Studies
Center for Global Initiatives
Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies
Curriculum in Global Studies
Institute for the Study of the Americas
International Student and Scholar Services
Study Abroad Office