On May 6th, 2021, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., the UNC Program for Public Discourse (PPD) hosts the UNC Faculty Symposium on Deliberative Pedagogy. All UNC faculty and staff are invited to attend.
The PPD aims to foster dialogue and debate at UNC, with the goal of increasing students’ capacities to be active participants in democratic processes. To that end, and to help faculty share ideas and refine their skills for fostering dialogue and debate, the PPD is hosting an array of panels and discussions on deliberative pedagogy.
Following a brief introduction from Executive Director of the Program for Public Discourse Kevin Marinelli at 9:30 a.m., the Symposium is divided into four one-hour panel discussions featuring faculty and administrative personnel from across the Carolina campus.
1. Communication Beyond Carolina (10 a.m. – 11 a.m.)
- Dr. Charlotte Boettiger, Department of Psychology & Neuroscience
- Nick Siedentop, Office of Undergraduate Curricula
- Dr. Erika Wise, Department of Geography
2. Facilitating & Evaluating Public Discourse (11 a.m. – noon)
- Dr. Kelly Hogan, Office of Instructional Innovation; Department of Biology
- Dr. Lloyd Kramer,Carolina Public Humanities; Department of History
- Dr. Michael Vazquez,Parr Center for Ethics; Department of Philosophy
3. Engaging Race and Racism in the Classroom(1 p.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Dr. Travis Albritton, School of Social Work
- Dr. Sibby Anderson-Thompkins,Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Dr. Emily Boehm,Center for Faculty Excellence
4. Student Perspectives on Dialogue and Debate(2 p.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Dr. Chris Lundberg, Department of Communication
- Students from the Chancellor’s Science Scholars
- Dr. Kevin Marinelli,UNC Program for Public Discourse; Department of Communication
- Students from the Agora Fellows
There will also be optional breakout rooms for informal dialogue and exchange of ideas during the lunch hour from noon – 1 p.m.
Attendance to all events is encouraged but not required.
If you have any questions about the PPD or the symposium, please contact Kevin Marinelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.