Berro is working on a project to extend MetaMetrics’ tools into careers beyond the educational field. He said that after several years of working as a classroom teacher, it was enlightening to be part of a team, one that had members with expertise that could be called upon to accelerate a project.

Widening possibilities

Both said the internship experience has given them new ideas about career objectives.

“It’s shown me that other than being physically in a classroom teaching, there are other ways and possibilities to impact education in a positive way,” Lewis said. “I used to think that that would just be through getting a product directly to a student, whether it’s like an app or a book. This has shown me that the product doesn’t just have to help the student.

“If it’s helping the teacher, if it’s making instruction easier, then it’s, in turn, helping students,” she said.

Lewis said that for her the MEITE program has opened possibilities of working for firms that provide services in the educational field, perhaps working in digital curriculum development or instructional design.

Berro said he has discovered that he’s able to apply multiple facets of his talents in education.

“I like to say that I’m like a Swiss Army knife because I like to be able to do a lot of different things,” said Berro, who has also been sharpening his data analysis and coding skills through the MEITE program.

He said the MEITE internship widened his career possibilities.

“I love teaching, and I’m still teaching,” Berro said. “But I could definitely see myself in a company like MetaMetrics, contributing to education from outside the classroom now.

“It’s given me an opportunity and a venue to practice in a way that’s meaningfully contributing to an existing company,” he said. “It’s not just a class project at the end of the semester, but it’s what I would actually be doing in a job.”

Learn more about the UNC School of Education’s Master of Arts in Educational Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship program