A partnership between the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Orange County and the Town of Chapel Hill, Launch has been serving the local community by providing area startups with the support and resources they need. Initial funding for the program was donated by the Becker Family in memory of their daughter Cara Gwen Becker.
In its five years, the accelerator program has been home to 75 startup companies. In 2017 alone, Launch startups accounted for more than 1,100 employees and $20.6 million in revenue.
Our mission is to provide the tools and resources to assist scalable businesses to raise funding and build teams so they can move back out into the community and grow their businesses.
By the numbers
- 75 companies graduated
- 94 %remain in business after one year
- 31 companies were founded by Carolina students
- 25 companies remain in Orange County
- 1,124 jobs created by Launch startups in 2017
- $99,000 spent annually by Launch startups in downtown Chapel Hill dining establishments
- $12.975 million in funding raised by companies during 2017
- $20.6 million in revenues in 2017
As a senior at Carolina, Cecilia Polanco founded So Good Pupusas, a Salvadoran food truck and catering business. A year later, she joined Launch to grow her business.
As a member of Launch's most recent cohort of startups, MoyoMedical is working to bring preeclampsia early-detection tests to women in developing countries.
Ronda Taylor Bullock created an organization called "We Are" that is addressing systemic and ideological racism with the hope of providing anti-racist education. We Are was a member of Launch's seventh cohort.