* * Safety Warning * *
Although the Thimble is not electrically connected to neither the test subject nor the investigator, it is highly recommended to use a laptop computer not connected to a main power outlet.
The algometer itself is powered through a medical grade power supply, but the USB data acquisition unit is a LabJack U12 that will not function through the B&B Electronics UH401 USB to USB isolation device.
Suggested Installation Procedure:
- The new Windows operating systems either hide the location where the programs are installed or install them in read only folders. For these reasons we recommend that, before installing the software, a folder be created into which the program files can be installed rather than into the default folder.
- Install the Thimble Algometer (VB6) Software from the CD, or this downloadable zip folder.
- Replace the "ThimbleAlgometer-xx-xx.exe" file with the newest version downloadable below, if needed (How to Change the EXE file name).
- Windows 7 users only: if not already done, copy the "Algometer" folder from "C:/Program Files(x86)/Algometer" to another location (more below).
- Calibrate the Calibration Load Cell Load Cell Calibration
- The Thimble Algometer should be ready to go.
General Information (html file)
Common Problems (html file)
Schematics & Drawings
Visual Basic 6 ThimbleAlgometer.exe Windows
- Test Setup (jpeg file).
- Testing in "Blind" mode ( jpeg file) the actual force is hidden from the experimenter.
Visual Basic 6 ThimbleAlgometer.exe Software Download.
Simulator for Debugging
(UNC and Yale Thermodes help page)
Changing EXE File Name
Through the "Start" menu click on "All Programs" click on "Algometer" right click on "Algometer" click on "Properties" to display the "Algometer Properties at right.
Select the "Shortcut" tab.
In the "Target:" path, edit the "ThimbleAlgometer-xx-xx.exe" to whatever program version you want to use.
Click OK when done.
Copying Program Files to a New Folder
Windows 7 limits access to some files in system folders such as "Program Files(x86)". Since the Algometer software saves its options and defaults in an "ini" file located in the same folder as the Executable file, it has problems editing that "ini" file.
Until the software can be modified to alleviate the problem, an easy fix is to copy the folder to a non-protected location.
- Chose or create a new folder in which you want the Algometer program files to reside (such as the root directory: "C:\" or "C:\Users\myname\Documents" or whatever is more convenient to you.
- Control/Drag or Copy/Paste the whole "Algometer" folder from "C:/Program Files(x86)/Algometer" to the new location.
- Create a shortcut to the new folder executable file if desired.
Unit Test (post manufacturing)
2005 September 30
Last update: 2014 August 21