Installation check list:
- Install the Thimble Algometer (VB6) Software from the CD
- Replace the ".exe" file with the newest version downloadable below, if needed (How to Change the EXE file name).
- Windows 7 users only: copy the "C:/Program Files(x86)/Algometer" folder to another location (more below).
- Calibrate the Calibration Load Cell Load Cell Calibration
- The Thimble Algometer should be ready to go.
General Information (html file)
Common Problems (html file)
Schematics & Drawings
Visual Basic Algometer.exe Windows
- Test Setup (jpeg file).
- Testing in "Blind" mode ( jpeg file) the actual force is hidden from the experimenter.
Visual Basic Algometer.exe Software Download.
Simulator for Debugging
(UNC and Yale Thermodes help page)
Changing EXE File Name
Through the "Start" menu click on "All Programs" click on "Algometer" right click on "Algometer" click on "Properties" to display the "Algometer Properties at right.
Select the "Shortcut" tab.
In the "Target:" path, edit the "ThimbleAlgometer-xx-xx.exe" to whatever program version you want to use.
Click OK when done.
Copying Program Files to a New Folder
Windows 7 limits access to some files in system folders such as "Program Files(x86)". Since the Algometer software saves its options and defaults in an "ini" file located in the same folder as the Executable file, it has problems editing that "ini" file.
Until the software can be modified to alleviate the problem, an easy fix is to copy the folder to a non-protected location.
- Chose or create a new folder in which you want the Algometer program files to reside (such as: "C:\Users\myname\Documents".
- Control/Drag or Copy/Paste the whole folder: "C:/Program Files(x86)/Algometer" to the new location.
- Create a shortcut to the new folder executable file if desired.
Unit Test (post manufacturing)
2005 September 30
Last update: 2013 October 31