Lighthouses of Mozambique

Mozambique is located on the southeastern coast of Africa, bordering Tanzania to the north and South Africa to the south. The country was a Portuguese colony from the early sixteenth century until it achieved independence in 1975. Independence was followed by a long and bitter civil war, which ended in 1992. Since then, increasing stability has improved the country's economic situation and opened it to foreign visitors.

Mozambique actually has the longest coastline of any continental African country, more than 2500 km (1565 mi) in length, facing the island of Madagascar across the Mozambique Channel. The major ports are Pemba in the north, Quelimane and Beira in the center, and Maputo (the capital) in the far south.

The Portuguese word for a lighthouse is farol, plural faróis. Aids to navigation in Mozambique are the responsibility of the National Institute of Hydrography and Navigation (INAHINA).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Lighthouse Development in Mozambique, 1908-1931
Special thanks to Michel Forand for contributing this outstanding resource. It includes a translation of a 1931 account of the development of coastal lights in Mozambique, with maps and photos of the lighthouses, plus additional images from Mr. Forand's collection.
INAHINA - Faróis
An interactive map leads to photos and short accounts for each of 11 major lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Mozambique
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. The photos of lights in the Maputo area are by Douglas Cameron.
Lighthouses in Mozambique
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Mozambique
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Faróis de Moçambique
Excerpts from a book on lighthouses of Mozambique by António Sopa and Laura Chirindja.
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Postcards from the collection of Klaus Huelse.


Pinda Light, Memba, November 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Erik Kristensen

Cabo Delgado Province Lighthouses
Cabo Delgado (2)
1931 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 36 m (118 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Several 1-story keeper's houses. A photo is at right, the lighthouse was pictured on a 1989 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a wood tower. The present lighthouse was rehabilitated and reactivated in 1994. Located on the cape, which is at the end of a long peninsula about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Palma and a similar distance southeast of the Tanzanian border. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-004; Admiralty D6648; NGA 31536.
Ilha Vamizi
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) round strongly conical white concrete tower. Endangered. A photo is available, showing a lens in place but no solar panels; Google has only an indistinct satellite view of the area. Ilha Vamizi is a a narrow island about 15 km (9 mi) long, about 40 km (25 mi) south of Cabo Delgado. Located near the east end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6647; NGA 31540.
Ilha Tambuzi
Date unknown (station established 1934). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 26 m (85 ft) round concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Keeper's house in ruins. The lighthouse is barely visible in an aerial photo of the island, but Google has a good satellite view. The Admiralty reported this light to be in service in 2008. The privately-owned island was for sale in 2013. Located on a small island in the Indian Ocean about 37 km (23 mi) due east of Mocímbao da Praia. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-008; Admiralty D6642; NGA 31556.
* Ilha Medjumbe (Mdjumbe) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1934). Inactive, but listed with focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 26 m (85 ft) white round concrete tower. Lantern removed. Endangered. Although this lighthouse is listed as active by NGA and the Admiralty, Chris Chilton's May 2007 photo shows it abandoned by that time, with no lamp or other evidence of a light. Ewald De Korte's 2012 photo is below right, and Google has a satellite view. Medjumbe is a small island in the Quirimbas Archipelago, a string of islands along the northern coast of Mozambique, about 60 km (37.5 mi) north of Ilha do Ibo. Located on the eastern point of the island, an easy walk from the Medjumbe Island Resort. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-024; Admiralty D6640; NGA 31564.
Cabo Delgado Light
Cabo Delgado Light, Palma, undated
INAHINA photo
Ilha do Ibo (Mujaca, Ibo Island)
Date unknown (station established 1873). Probably inactive. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower, mounted on a square stone base. 1-story keeper's house. Carlos Lopes Bento posted a 1971 aerial photo (no longer online); at that time there was a white round tower on top of the square base. Endangered. The present tower is dilapidated and abandoned. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view of the station. Ibo Island is in the Quirimbas Archipelago. The island was a fortified Portuguese settlement during the 16th and 17th centuries. Much of the island is now included in Quirimbas National Park. Located on the northern point of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-007; Admiralty D6636; NGA 31568.
Ponta do Diabo
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a low promontory about 19 km (12 mi) north of Pemba Bay. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6634; NGA 31576.
Ponta Said Ali
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) short round cylindrical tower centered on a massive square masonry base. Round tower painted red with one white horizontal band; base painted white. Lightphotos.net has a photo, and a Google satellite view shows a likely keeper's house in ruins behind the lighthouse. Located on the point marking the north side of the entrance to Pemba Bay. Accessible only by boat (no roads seen in the area). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6628; NGA 31580.
* Ponta Mepira (Pemba, Paquitete)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); red flash every 2 s. 5 m (17 ft) post centered on a square concrete equipment building. Post painted red, building white. Lightphotos.net has Ed Merritt's closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the westernmost point of land in Pemba. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6632; NGA 31588.
[Ponta Maunhane (Pemba Bay, Mecúfi) (1)]
1912. In ruins or lost. The lighthouse was a tall masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Google's satellite view shows the ruins of the light station, but there's no sign of the tower. Located on a headland marking the south side of the entrance to Pemba Bay, about 10 km (6 mi) east of Pemba, about 250 m (800 ft) northwest of the modern light (next entry). Site status unknown.

Medjumbe Light, Cabo Delgado Province, September 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Ewald De Korte
Ponta Maunhane (Pemba Bay, Mecúfi) (2?)
1932 (?) (station established 1912). Active (?); focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) concrete post centered on a square masonry tower. Lighthouse painted white with a black band at the top of the post. Keeper's house nearby. Antonio Brito has a 2017 closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland marking the south side of the entrance to Pemba Bay, about 10 km (6 mi) east of Pemba. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-016; Admiralty D6624; NGA 31592.
Ponta Uifundo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 16 s. 21 m (69 ft) square skeletal tower painted red. No photo available, and the tower has not been found in Google's satellite view. Located on a headland south of Mecúfi. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6622; NGA 31596.

Nampula Province Lighthouses
* Pinda (Memba Bay)
1923. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 31 m (102 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising through the center of a 1-story hexagonal keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern painted red. Erik Kristensen's 2007 photo appears at the top of this page, Stig Nygaard also has a good photo, Wikimedia has photos, the lighthouse appears on a 1989 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland at the southern entrance to Memba Bay, about 25 km (15 mi) east southeast of Memba; said to be an easy walk from the Wimbe beach (Praia do Wimbe). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-011; Admiralty D6618; NGA 31604.
Nacala Approach
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower mounted on a square base. Lighthouse painted white with a black top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located just off the beach about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the entrance to the Bay of Nacala, one of the best harbors on the East African coast. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6611.3; NGA 31616.
Ponta Sacamulo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 2 s. 7 m (23 ft) skeletal tower (?) mounted on a square base. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a spit on the west side of the entrance to the Bay of Nacala. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6612; NGA 31612.
* Fernão Veloso (Ponta Naarenque)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 5 m (17 ft) square skeletal tower enclosing a fuel tank, centered on a square 1-story white concrete equipment building. Skeletal tower painted red. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light marks the east side of the entrance to the Bay of Nacala. Located on the point at Fernão Veloso, north of Nacala. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6611.6; NGA 31628.
Cabo Melamo (Cabo Columulomo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) skeletal tower on a square tower, according to NGA. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view of the light station. Located on a promontory east of the entrance to the Bay of Nacala. Accessible by road from Fernão Veloso. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6611; NGA 31608.
Ponta Onlugune (Onlungune)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three white flashes every 13.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square concrete skeletal tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a remote headland about 32 km (20 mi) south of Cabo Melamo. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6610; NGA 31640.
Ilha de Goa (Range Rear)
1876. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); four white flashes every 10 s. (In 2007, the Admiralty had a report that the light was actually showing two white flashes every 12 s.) 31 m (102 ft) square brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Margarida Ferreira's 2010 photo is at right, Tim Cowley has contributed excellent photos, Lightphotos.net has a good closeup photo, Ricardo Barradas has a view from the sea, the lighthouse appeared on a 1989 postage stamp, and Google has a good satellite view. Probably Mozambique's oldest lighthouse, depending on whether the Ilha do Ibo tower is original. The 12 m (40 ft) top section was added in 1923, and the tower was rehabilitated in 1994. The lighthouse is a landfall light, but the range guides departing vessels. The ancient fortress town of Moçambique was the seat of Portuguese colonial power in East Africa for four centuries and an important stop on the trade route to India. Moçambique is on an island connected to the mainland by a 3 km (2 mi) long bridge. The lighthouse stands on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) east southeast of Moçambique. Accessible only by boat; there should be a distant view from the Moçambique waterfront. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-005; Admiralty D6598.1; NGA 31661.
Ilha de Goa Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick-flashing white light. 14 m (46 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery and an enclosed base. Lighthouse painted white. Ricardo Barradas has a view from the sea showing both range lights, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the beach on north side of the Ilha de Goa. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6598; NGA 31660.
* Moçambique Capitania do Porto (?)
Date unknown. Active (?); listed with focal plane 15.5 m (50 ft); continuous green light. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This light has apparently been moved; since 2015 NGA has described it as a white hut on piles. The new location is unknown. Located on the waterfront of the Ilha de Moçambique. Site open, tower status unknown. Admiralty D6604; NGA 31680.
Sancul (Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) "tower on pyramid," according to NGA. No photo available, and the light has not been located in Google's satellite view. This is the rear light of an approach range for Moçambique. Located at Sancul, on the mainland southwest of the Ilha de Moçambique. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6602.1; NGA 31656.
Ilha da Goa Light
Ilha de Goa Light, Moçambique, December 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Margarida Ferreira
Ponta Namalungo
1937. Active; focal plane 84 m (276 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) square white concrete tower. Keeper's house in ruins. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse replaced the 1926 Infusse Light. Located on a headland about 75 km (46 mi) south southwest of Moçambique. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-031; Admiralty D6596; NGA 31684.
Sangage
1925. Probably inactive. 26 m (85 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red with white horizontal bands. Pete Smith has a good photo, and Google has a good satellite view. Nate Johnson visited this site in late 2006 and found the lighthouse was not operating. Located on a headland about 35 km (22 mi) northeast of Angoche. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-021; Admiralty D6592; NGA 31688.
Monte Parapato (Angoche)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); quick-flashing white light. 8 m (26 ft) "iron truncated tower," painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Angoche (called António Enes under Portuguese rule) is a historic port founded by Arab traders in the 1490s. Recently Chinese investors have been developing modern port facilities. Located atop a ridge on the south side of Angoche. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6591; NGA 31692.
* Angoche Port Office
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft) (?); two green flashes every 6 s. Listed as an 8 m (26 ft) white masonry tower atop the port office. No photo available. Google's satellite view reveals a square white skeletal tower roughly 20 m (66 ft) tall that is more likely to carry the light. More information needed! Located on the waterfront of Angoche. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty D6591.4; NGA 31700.
Ilha de Mafamede (2)
Date unknown (station established 1924). Active; focal plane 24 m (78 ft); two red flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted white. Pete Smith has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The Admiralty reported this light in service in 2011. Located on an island off the entrance to the estuary leading to Angoche, about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of the town. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-006; Admiralty D6590; NGA 31704.
Ponta Caldeira
1926. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 26 m (86 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. INAHINA's photo is at right, the lighthouse appears on a 1989 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. For most of its life the lighthouse was painted white; the red bands and a new lantern were added when the lighthouse was rehabilitated and reactivated in 2007. Located near Namorre, 65 km (40 mi) southwest of Angoche. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-012; Admiralty D6586; NGA 31708.

Zambezia Province Lighthouse
Ilha Epidendron
Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 31 m (102 ft); two red flashes every 8 s. 24 m (79 ft) square white concrete skeletal tower rising from a square white concrete equipment building. The upper portion of the tower is surrounded by a daymark painted with red and white horizonal bands. An undated photo (second photo on the page) is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island off the coast south of Moma. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty D6582; NGA 31712.
Ilha do Fogo
Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 35 m (115 ft); flash every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 34 m (111 ft) square white concrete skeletal tower with lantern. Henry Dowling has a 2017 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on an island off the coast southwest of Moma; the island is now the site of an adventure resort. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty D6580; NGA 31716.
Ponta Caldeira Light
Ponta Caldeira Light, Angoche
INAHINA photo
Ponta Matirre
1913. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 12 s. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Keeper's house, described in NGA as a signal station. No current photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Probably the original tower survives at this station, but we need confirmation of this. The Admiralty reported the light in service in 2010. Located on a headland on the east side of the entrance to the bay of Pebane; accessible from the nearby beach. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-030; Admiralty D6576; NGA 31720.
Macuse (Macuze)
Date unknown. Inactive at least since 2017. 20 m (66 ft) square concrete skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of the entrance to the Macuse River. Site status unknown. ex-Admiralty D6575; NGA 31724.
Vilhena (2)
Date unknown (2007? station established 1909). Active (?); focal plane 31 m (102 ft); two white flashes, separated by 4.5 s, every 12 s. 27 m (89 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No current photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Although the historic lighthouse appears on a 1989 postage stamp, the satellite view shows a tower with a much smaller footprint. The Admiralty reported the light in service in 2007. Located at Mucupia, southeast of Quelimane, guiding vessels toward the southern entrance to the Quelimane estuary. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-032; Admiralty D6570; NGA 31740.
Ilha Timbué (Bôcas de Zambeze) (2) (?)
Date unknown (station established 1924). Active (?); focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white flash every 8 s. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and the light has not been found in Google's satellite view. Ilha Timbué is an island in the delta of the Zambezi River. The delta is suffering severe beach erosion due to reduced outflow from the river, so it is likely that this light station has been lost to erosion. The original lighthouse was a 40 m (131 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-025; Admiralty D6564; NGA 31752.

Sofala Province Lighthouses
Machesse (?)
Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 47 m (154 ft); two white flashes every 10.1 s. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and Bing's satellite view of the listed location does not reveal a tower. Located on the coast about 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Beira. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6563; NGA 31756.
Savane (?)
Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 52 m (171 ft); white light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 40 m (131 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on the coast about 35 km (22 mi) northeast of Beira. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6562; NGA 31760.
* Rio Macuti (Beira)
1904. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 28 m (92 ft) round tower with lantern and double gallery, rising through the center of a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern and galleries are red. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, and Sam Seyffert has a good 2007 photo. In front of the lighthouse is the wreck of the freighter Macut. Wikimedia has a photo, of the wreck and lighthouse, Rajeev Koul also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view in which the shipwreck is visible. Located on the beach road at the eastern edge of Beira. This is probably Mozambique's best known and most visited lighthouse. Older photos show that it was painted with black and white bands for most of its history; see for example the historic postcard view posted by Klaus Huelse and this 1989 postage stamp. The lighthouse replaced the 1895 light at Ponta Gea (Point Jea). Located on the oceanfront in Macuti, on the eastern edge of Beira. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-020; Admiralty D6553; NGA 31764.
Ponta Ingomaimo
1931. Inactive and abandoned, but still listed with focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 6 s. 40 m (131 ft) hexagonal concrete tower, originally painted white with a black horizontal band, but nearly all the paint has gone. The lantern, now in ruins, was painted red. No photo currently available, but Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is a sibling of the Cabo Delgado lighthouse (see above) and was built in the same year. This area suffered great devastation during the floods caused by Tropical Cyclone Eline in 2000. The lighthouse is now in the surf and gravely endangered. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-015; Admiralty D6546; NGA 31784.
Rio Macuti Light
Rio Macuti Light, Beira, 2004
photo copyright Doug Pearson; used by permission

Inhambane Province Lighthouses
* Bazaruto (2)
1913 (station established 1897, but apparently it was inactive 1900-1913). Inactive once again, since 2007 at least, but still listed with focal plane 116 m (381 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 26 m (85 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a complex of 1- and 2-story keeper's houses. All buildings painted white; lantern dome painted red. Gravely endangered. An August 2007 photo shows how the lighthouse was severely damaged by Tropical Cyclone Favio in February of that year, and Jeremy Fawcett has posted a photo showing the damage to the light station. F.H. Mira's August 2008 photo at right shows that no repairs had been made. Another closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse formerly had a hyperradiant Fresnel lens, one of the largest lighthouse lenses ever built. This priceless lens was not removed from the tower, and by now it is completely gone, the prisms stolen or smashed by vandals. Bazaruto is the largest of a group of islands strung out along the coast north of Vilankulo. The lighthouse was last "rehabilitated" in 1996. The lighthouse is located on the central ridge about 2 km (1.2 mi) south of the north end of the island; accessible by 4WD or a hiking trail from the Pestana Bazaruto Lodge. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-013; Admiralty D6540; NGA 31788.
Cape San Sebastian (Ponta São Sebastião)
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 38 m (125 ft); five white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round tower, painted red; keeper's house, painted white. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view of the station. Located on a low headlnad about 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Vilankulo (Vilanculos). However, the indicated position of the lighthouse does not seem to be useful for navigation, so the tower is unlikely to be active. The lighthouse is located near the base of a long, sandy spit on the east side of a peninsula, accessible only by a long (7 km, 4 mi) walk on the beach. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-017; Admiralty D6538; NGA 31800.
Pomene (Ponta da Barra Falsa)
1931. Active (?); focal plane 123 m (404 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern, painted white; lantern painted red. The lighthouse was restored in 1996, but it seems quite dilapidated in a 2008 photo. Google has a satellite view of the station. Ponta da Barra Falsa is a promontory enclosing a small bay at Pomene, about 65 km (40 mi) northeast of Massinga. There are surf and dive camps in the area, which is under development as a resort. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-019; Admiralty D6536; NGA 31804.
Bazaruto Light
Bazaruto Light, Ilha Bazaruto, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by F.H. Mira
Ponta da Barra (Barra, Rio Inhambane) (3?)
1945(?) (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery; tower painted white, lantern red. 1-story keeper's house nearby. François Bester's photo appears at right, Trabas has a photo by Günther Hess, Wikimedia has Andrew Moir's distant view, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good satellite view. INAHINA's page says that "there are indications" that the present tower was built in 1945, replacing the 1900 lighthouse. In any case, the lighthouse was restored in 1993 and 1997. Many photos show the lighthouse with a noticeable lean. Ponta da Barra is at the end of the Barra Peninsula, which shelters the Bay of Inhambane. Located on the point of the cape about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Inhambane; accessible by 4WD. Site open, and nothing prevents visitors from climbing the tower. ARLHS MOZ-013; Admiralty D6532; NGA 31812.
* Cabo das Correntes
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); four white flashes every 10 s. 5 m (17 ft) white square tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is within the Paindane Beach Resort near Inhambane. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty D6530; NGA 31816.
Ponta Zavora
1910. Active; focal plane 67 m (220 ft); white flash every 10 s. 16 m (53 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white, adjoining a 1-story keeper's house. Graham Jackson and friends have posted a photo and report from an October 2004 visit, and Google has a satellite view. The lantern was removed in 1995, when the lighthouse was restored and reactivated. Ponta Zavora is not a prominent cape, but it marks a change in the trend of the coastline from northeast to north at the southern entrance to the Mozambique Channel. Located on a promontory just south of Zavora and about 30 km (19 mi) east of Inharrime; accessible from the nearby Zavora Lodge. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-018; Admiralty D6528; NGA 31820.

Gaza Province Lighthouses
** Boa Paz (Chidenguele)
1940. Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Keeper's house nearby. Wikimedia has a 2011 closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a bluff behind the beach about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Chidenguele and 70 km (45 mi) northeast of Xai-Xai. Accessible by road or by hiking from the resort. Site open, tower reported to be open for climbing. ARLHS MOZ-001; Admiralty D6524; NGA 31828.
Ponta da Barra Light
Ponta da Barra Light, Inhambane, December 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by François Bester
* Monte Belo (Limpopo River Entrance)
1914. Active; focal plane 93 m (305 ft); white flash every 4.5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising through the center of a 1-story keeper's house. Buildings painted white; lantern is red. Vaughn Davies has a good photo, and a Google satellite view is available. Davies visited on New Year's Day 2010 and reports that the lighthouse did not seem to be functioning. The lighthouse was restored and reactivated in 1995. Located atop a bluff on the west side of the entrance to the Limpopo River, one of southern Africa's greatest rivers, about 30 km (20 mi) southwest of Xai-Xai. The lighthouse is about 2 km (1.25 mi) northwest of the river's mouth, accessible by a short hike from nearby resorts. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-010; Admiralty D6522; NGA 31832.

Maputo Province and City Lighthouses
Note: Maputo, the capital and largest city of Mozambique, is located at the extreme southern end of the country. Under Portuguese rule, Maputo was named Lourenço Marques after the early 16th century Portuguese captain who explored the Mozambique coast.
[Cockburn Shoal (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1901). Toppled by a storm in 1965. The original lighthouse had a lantern atop a keeper's cottage mounted on a platform supported by piles; a historic photo and additional photos are available. This was replaced by a skeletal tower atop the platform. According to one source, about 4 m (13 ft) of the overthrown tower can been seen projecting above the surface of the water. Bing's satellite view does not show this wreckage. The lighthouse has been replaced by a buoy (formerly listed as NGA 31860). Located near the north end of the shoal, which extends northward from the Cabo de Inhaca (see below). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-023.
Baixo Ribeiro (Ribeiro Shoal) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1914). Active; focal plane about 14 m (46 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery, painted white, mounted on a round pier. A 2007 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal at the northern entrance to Maputo (Delagoa) Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6500; NGA 31868.
Canal da Polana (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light occulting once every 8 s. 14 m (46 ft) skeletal tower mounted on a square platform. The tower carries a rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has Cameron's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the approach range for Maputo. The rear light is mounted on a daymark panel on a hillside onshore. Located in Maputo (Delagoa) Bay about 3 km (1.8 mi) east of the city. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6503; NGA 31876.
Maputo Pierhead (Luz do Cais)
1980. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two green flashes every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) round building with gallery, painted white; light displayed from a mast. Trabas has Cameron's photo (also seen at right), and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Molhe de Capitania in Maputo. Site status unknown. ARLHS MOZ-009; Admiralty D6514; NGA 31896.
Luz do Cais, Maputo
Luz do Cais, Maputo
photo copyright Douglas Cameron; used by permission
* [Catembe (Range Rear) (3?)]
Date unknown (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); red light occulting once every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) rectangular daymark panel colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has Cameron's photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is the rear light of an approach range for Maputo. The original lighthouse was described only as an "iron tower." The front light is on a similar daymark panel mounted on piles in the bay 1865 m (1.16 mi) northeast. Located beside a major street in Catembe, on the southwest shore of Maputo Bay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-035; Admiralty D6508.1; NGA 31888.
* Barra Sul Range Front
Active(?); focal plane 22 m (72 ft); quick-flashing white light. 23 m (75 ft) triangular pyramidal concrete skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. NGA calls the light "unreliable" and notes that it no longer aligns properly with the channel. Located on the beach at the northern end of Inhaca, about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-033; Admiralty D6492; NGA 31844.
* Cabo de Inhaca (Range Rear) (2)
1926 (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 109 m (358 ft); three white flashes every 15 s, in a 2+1 pattern; a red light, 2 s on, 2 s off, is shown over extensive shoals to the northwest. The lighthouse also served as the rear light of the outbound Barra Sul Range, but it's not clear if the range is active. 31 m (102 ft) hexagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern dome is red. Antonio Rei's photo is at right, Jordan Liu has a 2017 closeup, Teresa Cotrim has several photos, Hannes Steyn has a 2009 view, Confluence.org has a distant photo from the sea, Tiago Pinhal has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 27.5 m (90 ft) cast iron tower. Inhaca is an island at the southern entrance to the Maputo (Delagoa) Bay. Much of the island is set aside as a nature reserve, but there are also a number of resorts and the island is a popular tourist attraction, accessible from Maputo by air or by passenger ferry daily. The lighthouse is located on a ridge about 800 m (1/2 mi) southwest of the northern end of the island; it is accessible by 4WD, and some of the resorts advertise tours to the station. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-003; Admiralty D6492.1; NGA 31848.
* Ponta do Ouro (2)
1942 (station established 1934). Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) square concrete skeletal tower with double gallery atop to a 1-story keeper's house. Entire lighthouse is white. Paco Matos has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was rehabilitated and reactivated in 1994. Ponta do Ouro adjoins the South African border and is the site of popular beach and scuba diving resorts. The lighthouse is located atop a steep headland almost precisely on the border; it is seen at the far right, atop the hill, in a photo of the Mar e Sol resort. Accessible by a hiking trail from the resorts. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MOZ-014; Admiralty D6488; NGA 31928.

Cabo de Inhaca Light, Maputo, November 2006
Panoramio photo copyright Antonio Rei; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Chiveve Point (1893-after 1904), Beira. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS MOZ-022.
  • Infusse (1926-1937?), north of Angoche. Replaced by the Ponta Namalungo lighthouse (see above) in 1937. ARLHS MOZ-027.
  • Ponta Gea (Point Jea) (1895-after 1920), Beira. Nothing remains of this lighthouse. ARLHS MOZ-028.
  • Ponta Vermelha (Reuben Point), Maputo. Nothing remains of this lighthouse; its site is now occupied by Mozambique's Presidential Palace. ARLHS MOZ-029.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  •  

Adjoining pages: North: Tanzania | East: Comoros, Madagascar | South: Eastern South Africa

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted June 21, 2005. Checked and revised November 12, 2017. Lighthouses: 50. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.