Lighthouses of Southwestern Taiwan

Taiwan is a large island, nearly 400 km (250 mi) long, lying about 180 km (110 mi) off the coast of China. The island was claimed by the Chinese Empire in 1683 and some of its coastal regions at least were governed by China for more than 200 years. In 1895, following the first Sino-Japanese War, China ceded control of Taiwan to Japan. Japan governed the island until the end of the Second World War in 1945. While in power, the Japanese constructed several lighthouses in Taiwan that remain active today. In 1949 the collapse of Nationalist forces in mainland China led to a new governmental separation between Taiwan and the mainland, with the Nationalist government (the Republic of China) on Taiwan and the Communist government (the People's Republic of China) on the mainland. This separation continues to the present day.

The Nationalist government also administers the Penghu (Pescadores) Islands to the southwest and the Matsu, Wuciou, and Kinmen (Quemoy) islands in Fujian province across the Taiwan Strait.

This page includes lighthouses of the southern and western coasts of Taiwan, from Taitung in the southeast through Taichung in the west.

Historically, lighthouses in Taiwan were operated by the Department of Maritime Affairs within the Directorate General of Customs. On 1 January 2013 they were transferred to the Maritime and Port Bureau of the Ministry of Transportation and Communication, which almost immediately announced plans to restore and develop the light stations as tourist attractions.

The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). Jiao or chiao is a cape, dao, tao, yu, or hsu is an island, wan is a bay, and kang or gang is a harbor. Due to competing systems for transliterating Chinese into Latin characters, there are always several possible spellings for the names of places in China. In Taiwan the Wade-Giles system was in use for many years, but at the beginning of 2009 the Pinyin system used on the mainland became the standard in Taiwan as well. At the present time most place names in Taiwan are still known mostly under the Wade-Giles spellings: Keelung rather than Jilong, for example, and Kaohsiung rather that Gaoxiong.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume P of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Maritime and Port Bureau - Lighthouses
An interactive map leads to English-language pages for the individual lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Taiwan
Hosted by the National Kaohsiung University of Applied Science (NKUAS), this page links to individual pages on all the major lighthouses of Taiwan. Text in Chinese.
Lighthouses of Taiwan
This "Internet exhibition" by the Kaohsiung Museum of Marine Exploration (MOME) has small photos and text in English for the historic lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Taiwan
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Taiwan
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Taiwan
Wikipedia checklist, useful for its Pinyin spellings.
Online List of Lights - Taiwan
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme auf Briefmarken
Postage stamp images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Leuchttürme Chinas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images of Chinese lighthouses, also posted by Klaus Huelse.


Lyudao (Green Island) Light, Lyudao, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by sheldon0531

Taitung County (Southeast Coast) Lighthouses
* Sanshiantai (San-hsien-t'ai)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) square concrete post with gallery, mounted on a robust octagonal concrete base. Entire lighthouse is white. Square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lit Han Tan has a photo, Chengnan Wu has a photo, and Google has a closeup photo sphere, but the light is inconspicuous in Google's satellite view. Sanshiantai is a spectacular rocky point projecting into the Pacific about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Chenggong. Located at the tip of the promontory, accessible by a well-maintained but very steep trial. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4714; NGA 13752.
**** Lyudao (Lu Tao, Lüdao, Huo-shao Tao, Green Island) (2)
1949 (station established 1939). Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 30.5 m (100 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof black. A photo is at the top of this page, a 2008 photo is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a postage stamp image, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse was built with American contributions after the U.S. liner President Hoover ran aground on a nearby reef in December 1937; no lives were lost due to heroic rescue efforts by the islanders. Huelse has a historic photo showing the Nationalist President Chiang Kai-Shek visiting the original lighthouse before World War II. Sadly, the lighthouse was destroyed during the war. Lyudao (Lutao), or Green Island in English, is an island about 30 km (19 mi) east southeast of Taitung. The island is about 8 km (5 mi) long and 5 km (3 mi) wide. The island was the site of a political prison, now closed. It still has a prison for ordinary criminals, but it is becoming popular as a beach resort and is accessible by air. The lighthouse is located at the northwestern tip of the island adjacent to the airport. In March 2013, it was announced that the light station would be opened for tours starting in September. Site open, tower open daily except Mondays year round. ARLHS TAI-016; Admiralty P4724; NGA 13760.
* Lanyu (Lan Yu, Orchid Island, Hongtouyu)
1983. Active; focal plane 216 m (709 ft); four white flashes every 24 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. A photo is at right, Te-Wei Liu has a good photo, Daisy Lin also has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is the highest Taiwanese lighthouse. Lanyu (Orchid Island in English) is an island about 65 km (40 mi) east of the southern tip of Taiwan, inhabited by a people related to the Batanes Islanders of the Philippines. The mountainous island is about 12 km (7.5 mi) long and 6 km (3.5 mi) wide. Prior to 1946 the island was called Hongtouyu (Red-top Island). Like Lyudao, Lanyu has been opened to tourism in recent years and is accessible by air. The lighthouse is located at the northwestern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TAI-014; Admiralty P4725; NGA 13764.
* Yehyu (Yeyou, Lan Yü West Side)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 4 s. 4 m (13 ft) round concrete tower with a domed lantern, painted white with red trim. A photo and a second photo are available, Daisy Lin has a distant view, and Google has a street view and a distant satellite view. This little lighthouse appears to have been built by local authorities. Located on a rocky promontory at the south side of the entrance to the harbor of Yehyu, a fishing port on the west side of Lanyu. Site open, and it appears that the tower is open as well. Admiralty P4525.55.
Lanyu Light
Lanyu (Orchid Island) Light, September 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by othree

Pingtung County (Southwest Coast) Lighthouses
*** Eluanbi (Eluan Pi, O-Luan Pi)
1882. Active; focal plane 56 m (184 ft); white flash every 10 s. 21 m (69 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. 1-story keeper's house, visitor center, and other buildings. Ginoup Lee's photo is at right, Yew Fai Chan has a fine 2007 photo, Wang Chao-Feng has a 2009 photo, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a postage stamp image, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This historic lighthouse predates the Japanese administration of Taiwan; it was designed by the British engineer John Ropinald and built by the Chinese Imperial government. The area was so wild at the time that the lighthouse was surrounded by defensive works and manned by soldiers. The lighthouse was repaired after being damaged by Allied air raids during World War II. A more complete restoration was carried out in 1962. Located at the southern tip of Taiwan in Hengchun, where it has been a popular attraction in a national park since 1992. Accessible by road off national highway 28. Site open, visitor center and tower open daily except Mondays year round. Site manager: Kenting National Park. ARLHS TAI-018; Admiralty P4602; NGA 13768.
Houbihu (Hou-Pi Hu) North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 4 s. 5 m (17 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse is white. Shi Zhengyi has a street view of both breakwater lights, and Google has a distant satellite view. This is a traditional fishing harbor, but it also serves the Maanshan Nuclear Power Plant. Located on the north breakwater of Houbihu, on the west side of Nanwan (South Bay) facing the Eluanbi peninsula. Probably accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4603.06; NGA 13769.5.
Houbihu (Hou-Pi Hu) South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); three green flashes every 10 s. 5 m (17 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse is white. Shi Zhengyi has a street view of both breakwater lights, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the south breakwater of Houbihu. Probably accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4603.04; NGA 13769.
Eluanbi Lighthouse
Eluanbi Light, Hengchun, October 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ginoup Lee
* Liouciou (Liu-chu Yü, Liu-Chiu Hsu, Xiaoliuqiu, Lamay Island)
1929 (rebuilt in 1952). Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is white. A 2009 closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view and a street view of the entrance to the light station. Built by the local fisherman's association, the lighthouse was heavily damaged in World War II. Locally, the light is often called the "White Lighthouse." Liouciou (also called Lamay Island in English) is an island about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Tungkang. Only 3 km (2 mi) long and 1.5 km (1 mi) wide, the island is a popular beach resort. The lighthouse is located on the heights above the southeastern shore of the island. Apparently accessible by hiking the service road to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TAI-015; Admiralty P4612; NGA 13776.
* Liouciou (Liu-chu Yü, Baishawei) West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); red light, pattern unknown. 5 m (17 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse is red. Wilson Thong has a street view of both breakwater lights, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west breakwater of Baishawei harbor, at the northeast end of the island. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4611.2.
* Liouciou (Liu-chu Yü, Baishawei) East Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); green light, pattern unknown. 5 m (17 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse is green. Wilson Thong has a street view of both breakwater lights, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east breakwater of Baishawei harbor, at the northeast end of the island. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4611.

Kaohsiung City Lighthouses
* Kaohsiung Second (South) Entrance South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); red flash every 4 s. 13 m (43 ft) 2-stage square cylindical concrete tower, painted red. A photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. The South Entrance leads to a new industrial harbor about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of the traditional harbor of Kaohsiung. Located at the end of the south breakwater. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site and tower closed. ARLHS TAI-044; Admiralty P4624.42; NGA 13792.
* Kaohsiung Second (South) Entrance North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); one long and two short white flashes every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) 2-stage square cylindical concrete tower, painted green. A closeup photo is available, Tomas Juricek has a distant street view of both breakwater lights, and Google has a satellite view. The South Entrance leads to a new industrial harbor about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of the traditional harbor of Kaohsiung. Located at the end of the north breakwater. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site and tower closed. ARLHS TAI-043; Admiralty P4624.4; NGA 13788.
**** Kaohsiung (Cihou, Chihou, Qihou, Cijin)
1883 (extensively altered in 1918). Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); four white flashes every 30 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story brick keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. A photo is at right, James Lin has a good photo, Chih-Hao Tsai has a 2009 photo, Wikimedia has many photos, there's a good view of the lighthouse standing above the harbor entrance, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This historic lighthouse, one of the best known and most visited of all Taiwanese lighthouses, is built on a great rock commanding the entrance to the harbor of Kaohsiung. It was designed by the British engineer John Reginald Harding for the Imperial government. It was rebuilt and upgraded by the Japanese in 1918 and was one of the few major Taiwanese lighthouses to escape World War II undamaged. The keeper's house is now a museum. Located atop Qihou Hill at the north end of Cijin (Qijin) Island in Kaohsiung. Site open, museum and tower open daily except Mondays year round. ARLHS TAI-001; Admiralty P4618; NGA 13796.

Kaohsiung Light, Kaohsiung, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Tommy Chiu
* Kaohsiung South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 3 s. 14 m (46 ft) post centered on a round 1-story equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse painted red. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater, which begins below the historic lighthouse. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4621; NGA 13804.
Kaohsiung North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 14 m (46 ft) post centered on a round 1-story equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse painted green. A 2014 photo is available, Brad Huang has a 2017 street view, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was formerly painted white, as seen in a 2008 view from the south breakwater; it was repainted green later that year. Located at the end of the north breakwater. The pier does not appear to be walkable. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4620; NGA 13800.
Zuoying (Tsoying) Naval Base South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red flash every 6 s. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) tower mounted on a pyramidal concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater at the Zhouying Naval Base on the north side of Kaohsiung. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4625.2; NGA 13812.
Zuoying (Tsoying) Naval Base South Inner Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); red flash every 5 s. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) post rising from a round 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted red. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the original south breakwater at the Zhouying Naval Base. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4625.4; NGA 13816.
Zuoying (Tsoying) Naval Base (North Breakwater)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 6 s. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) tower mounted on a pyramidal concrete base. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater at the Zhouying Naval Base. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4625; NGA 13808.
Yong'an Main Breakwater Inner
Date unknown. Active; light characteristic unknown. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round strongly conical white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the original end of the main (south) breakwater at the Yong'an commercial harbor on the north side of Kaohsiung, about 13 km (8 mi) north of the Naval Base. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4626.41.

Kaohsiung South Breakwater Light, Kaohsiung, May 2008
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Taiwan泰
Yong'an Main Breakwater Outer
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); red flash every 4 s. 21 m (69 ft) octagonal concrete tower. Lighthouse painted red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the extended main (south) breakwater of the Yong'an commercial harbor, about 300 m (0.2 mi) north of the older lighthouse. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4626.4; NGA 13825.1.
Yong'an North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); green flash every 4 s. 21 m (69 ft) octagonal concrete tower, probably with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted green. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater at the Yong'an commercial harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4626.43; NGA 13825.12.

Tainan City and County Lighthouses
* Anping South Outer Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); red light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted red. David Wu has a photo, a closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Anping is the harbor district of Tainan. In 2006-07 new breakwaters were built to extend Anping Harbor, and the breakwater lighthouses were either rebuilt or relocated to the ends of the new breakwaters. Located at the end of the extended south outer breakwater of Anping. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4629.23; NGA 13834.
* Anping North Outer Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); green light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted green. David Wu has a photo, Lian Weifeng has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. In 2006-07 new breakwaters were built to extend Anping Harbor, and the breakwater lighthouses were either rebuilt or relocated to the ends of the new breakwaters. Located at the end of the extended south outer breakwater of Anping. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4629.24; NGA 13829.
* Anping (Anping Chiang) (3)
1965 (station established 1891). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 22 m (72 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed watch room. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. Mark Chang has the photo at right and also a more distant view, a 2008 closeup is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Anping is the port area of the city of Tainan. The original light, a square tower, was replaced in 1909 by a round brick tower built on Anping Castle (the old Dutch Fort Zeelandia). The 1909 light appears in Huelse's postcard view. Located adjacent to a factory on the north side of Anping harbor. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from the street nearby. ARLHS TAI-002; Admiralty P4628; NGA 13828.
* Guosheng (Kuosheng) Kang (2)
1971 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 33 m (108 ft) tapered square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square stone foundation. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. A 2015 photo is available, Yong Bai has a 2013 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a 21 m (69 ft) skeletal tower, was destroyed by a typhoon in July 1970. Located on a low point of land in Cigu township about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Tainan. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TAI-013; Admiralty P4630; NGA 13840.
Anping Lighthouse
Anping Light, Tainan, July 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mark Chang

Chiayi County Lighthouse
Waisanding (Wai-san-ting Chou) (6)
2006. Apparently inactive. 38 m (125 ft) square skeletal tower topped by a square skeletal mast and mounted on a square platform supported by four massive piles. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo (halfway down the page) and a view from shore (this light is on the left) are available, and Google has a satellite view. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. The new tower stands on the same platform as the previous (1974) tower This light station is located near the end of the Waisanding sandbar, which stretches for some 20 km (13 mi) southwest from Kouhu. It has been rebuilt or relocated five times, usually to accommodate changes in the sandbar or to replace towers toppled by typhoons. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Southwest Coast National Scenic Area. ARLHS TAI-054; ex-Admiralty P4658.6.
Wenkan Tui (Wengangdui, Waisanding) (7)
2012 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower painted black. A view from shore (this light is on the right) is available, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) north of the Waisanding lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Southwest Coast National Scenic Area. Admiralty P4658.4; NGA 13844.

Yunlin County Lighthouses
Mailiao South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); red flash every 3 s. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Mailiao Kang is a large modern harbor enclosed by long breakwaters; it serves Taiwan's largest oil refinery. Located at the end of a short, west-pointing spur off the south breakwater. Probably accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4659.415; NGA 13854.
Mailiao West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west (outer) breakwater. Probably accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4659.412; NGA 13855.

Changhua County Lighthouses
**** Fangyuan (Fong Yuan)
1983. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 37 m (121 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower painted with black and white vertical stripes; lantern painted white with a black dome. WunKai Wang's photo is at right, an excellent closeup is available, K.H. Yeh has a photo, Tzyuh Feng has another photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lantern was transferred here from the Taichung (Cingshuei) lighthouse (see below). Located on the north side of Fangyuan. Site open, tower open daily except Mondays year round. ARLHS TAI-007; Admiralty P4659.5; NGA 13852.

Taichung City Lighthouses
Collier Channel South Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); continuous green light. 28 m (92 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a green triangular daymark, point up. Google has a distant street view, but the tower has not been located in Google's satellite view. This range guides vessels in the southern portion of Taichung harbor. Located at the end of a quay facing the channel. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4660.617; NGA 13921.2.
Collier Channel South Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 72 m (236 ft); continuous green light. 68 m (223 ft) round chimney. A photo is available, but the tower has not been located in Google's satellite view. Located 864 m (1/2 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4660.618; NGA 13921.21.
Taichung South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); red flash every 2 s. 20 m (66 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Zhang Juzheng has a closeup street view, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater at Taichung harbor. Probably accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS TAI-028; Admiralty P4660.6; NGA 13904.

Fangyuan Light, Fangyuan, September 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by WunKai Wang
Taichung Main Channel Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 45 m (147 ft); continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction. 42 m (138 ft) tapered square skeletal tower with gallery. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a main quay just inside the entrance to Taichung Kang (harbor). Site and tower closed. ARLHS TAI-049; Admiralty P4660.94; NGA 13906.
* Taichung Main Channel Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); continuous white light. 67 m (220 ft) tapered square skeletal tower with gallery. Google has a street view and a good satellite view. Located at a major street intersection just east of the harbor facilities. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4660.941; NGA 13907.
* Taichung Kang
1982. Active; focal plane 62 m (202 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 63 m (206 ft) 2-story light tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted atop a huge concrete warehouse. The building is unpainted light gray concrete. Hong Min Ji has a 2017 photo, Chi Hong has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view across the harbor. Located on the main north quay just inside the entrance to Taichung Kang (harbor). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS TAI-052; Admiralty P4660.15; NGA 13896.
Taichung North Breakwater (Taichung Harbor)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 2 s. 20 m (66 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. A 2014 photo and a 2011 photo are available, and Lai Shijie has a street view and Gogle has a satellite view. This breakwater extends about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) into the Taiwan Strait, considerably beyond the end of the south breakwater. Located at the end of the north breakwater at Taichung harbor. Probably accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS TAI-026; Admiralty P4660.4; NGA 13900.
Taichung Harbor Craft Basin West Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Entire lighthouse is green. Chi Hong has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west breakwater of an inner harbor basin of Taiching. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4660.93; NGA 13920.
Collier Channel North (Fishing Harbor) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); continuous green light. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical tower carrying a green triangular daymark, point up. Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This range guides vessels departing the southern harbor. The rear light is a 28 m (92 ft) steel mast. Located at the rear of the Harbor Craft Basin. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4660.675; NGA 13921.1.
Taichung Entry Channel Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); continuous yellow light. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a square platform supported by piles. Google has a view from the north breakwater and a satellite view. The front light is on a short skeletal tower at an elbow of the north breakwater. Located about 600 m (0.4 mi) offshore on the north side of the north breakwater at Taichung harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4660.481; NGA 13901.1.
* Taichung North Jetty
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) round strongly tapered concrete tower attached to a square 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse (including the equipment shelter) painted red. A 2015 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view.The lighthouse was formerly painted with red and white horizontal bands, as seen in a 2009 photo. Located at the end of a short pier at the south entrance to a small boat harbor north of Taichung's main harbor area. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4660.2; NGA 13940.
**** Gaomei (Kaomei, Gau-mei)
1967. Inactive since 1982, but maintained as a daybeacon. Approx. 34 m (112 ft) tapered octagonal concrete tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Lantern removed and transferred to the Fangyuan lighthouse (see above). WunKai Wang has the closeup at right and a second view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The red and white banded daymark is unique in Taiwan. The lighthouse was restored in 2014 and has been opened for climbing; a covered observation deck was built atop the tower in place of the lantern. Located on the coast in Qingshui (Cingshuei) township, about 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of Taichung harbor. Site open, tower open daily except Mondays year round. ex-Admiralty F4660.1.
Gaomei Light
Gaomei Light, Qingshui, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by WunKai Wang

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: Northeast: Northeastern Taiwan | South: Northern Philippines | Southwest: Penghu Islands | West: Matsu and Kinmen

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 11, 2007. Checked and revised October 16, 2017. Lighthouses: 42. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.